Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Light attack weaving with lightning staff Broken

• phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes lighting attacks get stuck and you people that can fix things need to fix this.
  • DigitalEulogy
    DigitalEulogy
    ✭✭✭
    Getern wrote: »
    Vermintide wrote: »
    Now try weaving swallow soul. Ugh.

I did not realize this was an issue. I literally thought I was just doing it wrong! Ha thanks for helping me realize I am not just a scrub.

Thye screwed up animation of Swallow Soul in DB patch (almost 2 years ago), It became feature by now.

Is this why it seems like (does) swallow soul cancels the light attack completely sometimes?
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alaztor91 wrote: »
    The reason weaving (animation cancelling) is so clunky is because it's a bug that was never intended to be in the game. When ZoS gave up on fixing this issue, it became a "feature". But get this right, the game was never designed to allow weaving like this.

I always wondered if ZOS didn't tried harder to fix it because it was too hard/time consuming or because as some people suggest players ended up liking it because it made combat more fast paced and ZOS used that as an excuse. While I find LA/skill weaving fine, imo other stuff like block/dodge/barswap cancelling really feels out of place and makes your character look silly.

I mean if ZOS felt ok with it because it makes combat more fast paced, then what about the sustain changes from Morrowind? afaik most players didn't enjoyed them and they kinda make combat slower. Seems like a contradiction to me.

Personally I'd like to see animation cancelling gone, making people commit to a tactic, and if they chose the wrong move, then they would get punished.
    I think combat would still be fluent enough if we were allowed to queue up to 2-3 follow up skills, such that we don't need to wait on global cool down or what not. But that's just me.

Also, attack animations should probably be faster, and in what world does a heavy attack restore strength and not spend it? If I hit as hard as I can I'll be using more stamina than if I just lightly dab :smile:
    KanedaSyndrome's Suggestions For Game Improvements
    The Fortuitous Collapse of the Wave Equation
    The Best Plans Require No Action
  • ol_BANK_lo
    ol_BANK_lo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    supaskrub wrote: »
    Why is this so buggy, Its gone on for months now and from google i can find just a couple of references from ZOS that its being looked at.

The main problems are:
    1. It feels clunky at best
    2. many light attacks just don't fire
    3. some light attacks miraculously become heavy attacks

Now i Know its not just me because I've spoken to others about it and many of them come across the same issues (not all i might add), I've spent hour up on hour on test dummies practising light attack weaving, with an inferno its a sweet as a nut, unless I'm on a Magblade and weaving light attacks with Swallow Soul (this is another issue that needs addressing). I like to consider that my timing on weaves is near perfect and it should be with the amount of time i practice. So why do I have to slow down my shock staff light attack weaves when compared to my Inferno staff weaves?.. its a totally different tempo between them both and it just feels awkward with a shock staff.

@ZOS_Wrobel, @ZOS_GinaBruno

EDIT: Meant to add that this is on console (Xbox EU)

I hate when a light attack becomes an unintended heavy attack when using lightning staff.
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not just lightning staves. On my magplar, I have a weapon damage glyph on my inferno staff, so often open with a light attack. About 15% of the time, my light attack turns into an unintended heavy attack that I can't cancel. It happens most often at the start of a fight, less common mid-battle.
  • Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    PC - NA - all this happens there too
  • Potenza
    Potenza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always noticed this with my lightning staff - It will heavy attack when I light attack and sometimes light attacks never go. I'm always in cyro so I always attributed it to lag. Go figure, its actually something wrong with it.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So wait, an exploit that has managed to turn into standard gameplay is... bugged?

giphy.gif

"A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • supaskrub
    supaskrub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I think its pretty conclusive from the feedback in this thread alone that there is an issue with both shock staffs and resto staffs, there is also still the problem of weaving swallow soul with an inferno (i dare say its even worse with a shock staff) and we have had no acknowledgement.

Could either of you guys @ZOS_Edward, @ZOS_Chris, @ZOS_Holden pass the contents of this thread to the powers that be please. regards
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread confuses me.

I find a lightning staff far easier to weave with than a fire staff. Both have the same issue of not firing light attacks sometimes, but this is far more prominent with a fire staff.
  • supaskrub
    supaskrub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So wait, an exploit that has managed to turn into standard gameplay is... bugged?

Its standard gameplay because ZOS decided that is how it would be as you well know, attacks are not firing consistently between weapon types. They have said that they can't change the fact animation cancelling has become a feature of the game, I and many others can live with that and if that is the case then they should at least ensure what we have runs smoothly and right now it does not.

Edited by supaskrub on February 1, 2018 10:02PM
  • BlanketFort
    BlanketFort
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Septimus_Magna

block cancelling or dodging the bugged channel doesn‘t work for me. I have to wait it out and then pop off a heavy attack on either bar (resto or lighting) so I can use my skills again. It’s annoying.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've had this happen to me and, like others in this thread, attributed it to either my competency (or lack thereof) or lag. Run resto and lightning on the back bar and it happens with both staves. It's incredibly frustrating, especially when there's absolutely nothing you can do to cancel it and seconds are getting eaten up when you need to be healing.
    Edited by heaven13 on February 3, 2018 5:37PM
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, this issue seems worse on PTS compared to Live. Rotations on dummies in Live feel clunky now, but on PTS I feel like I'm tripping over myself trying to get through fast and smooth. Pre-Morrowind and HotR, LA weaving on Iightning staff was much smoother @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_Wrobel
    Edited by Moloch1514 on February 3, 2018 5:48PM
    PC-NA
  • Durian
    Durian
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was just me also. I moved back to the PC and use a DS4 controller. Sometimes light attacks will come out as Heavy Attacks ... so weird... this is very noticeable with Fire staff
  • Goshua
    Goshua
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have noticed it too periodically.
    light attack tap> ..weird pause..can't do much else..> heavy attack fires instead
  • Kova
    Kova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is such an old problem. The void has been claiming bow and staff attacks since TG launched. Strangely enough it was right around the time they "changed" animation priority. Thank you to @Joy_Division and several others for bringing this up YEARS ago.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GO TO THIS LINK AND READ<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I feel horrible knowing that anyone who has just joined the game in the last year or so will never know just how good combat animations and movement fluidity was before this update.
    EP Sorc: Aydinn
    AD Stamplar: Verdant`Knight
    DC Stamblade: Apple`Punch
    EP Stam Sorc: Kós
    AD DragonKnight: Transmigrant
    EP NIghtblade: Aydinn
  • TheHsN
    TheHsN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    supaskrub wrote: »
    Well I think its pretty conclusive from the feedback in this thread alone that there is an issue with both shock staffs and resto staffs, there is also still the problem of weaving swallow soul with an inferno (i dare say its even worse with a shock staff) and we have had no acknowledgement.

Could either of you guys @ZOS_Edward, @ZOS_Chris, @ZOS_Holden pass the contents of this thread to the powers that be please. regards

YES same all issues here also...i even made a video and loaded it here . But no one from ZOS did care
    I hope you take what we need.

TNX
    Plays:
    Magicka SORC - PvE/PvP
    Stamina NB - PvE/PvP
    Magicka NB - PvE/PvP
    Magicka Templar - PvE
    Stamina Templar - PvP
    Magicka DK - PvE
    Stamina DK - PvE
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lightning staff heavy attack bug has been present since at least when vMoL dropped. May have been there earlier, but I can’t verify. In my opinion, it’s the worst bug in the game. You are light weaving then all of a sudden, you are doing a full heavy attack. Frustrating and can often get you killed.
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On the contrary, in my experience light attack weaving with lightning staves is actually really smooth. A lot smoother than inferno or ice staves. Inferno and ice both sort of "pause" their light attack animations for a split second, which can be incredibly jarring, where lightning and restoration staves both don't have this problem for me. This might be a ping related issue, as I do have 250-300 ping on a good day.
    Edited by jcm2606 on April 10, 2018 5:27AM
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't lightning staff specs heavy attack builds (at least for lightning sorcs)?
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    the worst part about this lightning staff feature is when as a healer you get stuck in a heavy attack on back bar and then you have to do another fully charged heavy attack on the same bar otherwise the game stops letting you cast healing springs. I love how one bug leads to another in this game

It's the famous "Bug combo!"
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PlagueSD wrote: »
    Aren't lightning staff specs heavy attack builds (at least for lightning sorcs)?

Heavy attack build does not bean you uninterruptedly cast heavy attack. You have to light attack weave before and between 4-5 skills (liquid lightning, wall of storms etc.) and only at the end you heavy attack.

During any of the light attack weaving you can get stuck as described by the other players.

It's a years old issue, and in ESO, years old issues become features. No matter how bad they are.
  • Numerikuu
    Numerikuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not just lightning staves, but flame and resto staves also. No idea about frost staves, never used them and never will. Though from the sounds of it this affects all staves.

Ever since that one patch where they changed animation priority/made it so bow heavy attacks auto-fire once fully drawn, stave heavy attacks have been abysmal. It's even worse with flame ones since they increased how long it takes to charge up the heavy attack... and with heavy attacks being mandatory to return magicka................yeah, not fun. It makes playing any stave-wielding character an absolute nightmare, especially a healer and magdk.

Too many times someone has died because I couldn't heal due to being locked in a god damn invisible resto heavy attack. Or I died on my magdk because I couldn't use harness magicka, due to being locked in an invisible flame stave heavy attack.
    Edited by Numerikuu on April 10, 2018 7:49AM
  • TheKingofSass
    TheKingofSass
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought I was flipping! There are times I can weave without problem and there are times (95%), that weaving is absolutely shet. Like it doesn't light attack or it just gets stuck on heavy attack animation without firing, and only way to fix it is to swap bar... and it's just slowly getting on my nerves cause it has ruined my parses and combine that issue with lag, and you have one hellhole experience. Because of this *** I am avoid dungeons a bit...

This issue is also on pc with controller.
    "Remember, darkness does not always equate to evil, just as light does not always bring good."

Nifereti
    500 CP+┇Altmer┇Vampire Magblade┇AD
    Alyäia Morningstar
    500 CP+┇Altmer┇Vampire Magplar┇AD
    Poison Avy
    500 CP+┇Bosmer┇Werewolf Stamden┇EP
    Tronto Ebur
    500 CP+┇Imperial┇Frosted Tankden┇EP
    Azaerani
    500 CP+┇Dunmer┇Dovah Kendov MagKnight┇DC
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PlagueSD wrote: »

Sure, plenty of people use them for a HA spec. That said, most good sorcs do exactly as many heavy attacks as they need in order to sustain a fight and not one more. A lot of FP/Frags builds still front bar Lighting Staff. Sorcs and Altmer both get a benefit to lighting damage and most damage skills in a sorc's rotation are actually AOE in nature, so even in ST fights, there is a strong argument for front bar lighting. Most of the really good sorcs I talk to say they frankly cant tell a difference in single target between Fire and Lighting, but in AOE fights, lighting is way superior.