The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Light attack weaving with lightning staff Broken

supaskrub
supaskrub
✭✭✭✭✭
Why is this so buggy, Its gone on for months now and from google i can find just a couple of references from ZOS that its being looked at.

The main problems are:
  1. It feels clunky at best
  2. many light attacks just don't fire
  3. some light attacks miraculously become heavy attacks

Now i Know its not just me because I've spoken to others about it and many of them come across the same issues (not all i might add), I've spent hour up on hour on test dummies practising light attack weaving, with an inferno its a sweet as a nut, unless I'm on a Magblade and weaving light attacks with Swallow Soul (this is another issue that needs addressing). I like to consider that my timing on weaves is near perfect and it should be with the amount of time i practice. So why do I have to slow down my shock staff light attack weaves when compared to my Inferno staff weaves?.. its a totally different tempo between them both and it just feels awkward with a shock staff.

@ZOS_Wrobel, @ZOS_GinaBruno

EDIT: Meant to add that this is on console (Xbox EU)
Edited by supaskrub on January 31, 2018 3:16PM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This has been an issues for a long time now. The lighting/resto heavy attacks sometimes dont work as intended either. If I release LMB the channel doesnt always stop. This can be very annoying when you want to cast a shield for boss mechanics etc.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now try weaving swallow soul. Ugh.
  • IRDeja
    IRDeja
    How weird, I find it much harder to do with an Inferno than a Lightning staff, but there is definitely some difference between the two.

Maybe I just got used to the Lightning because I've played a healer forever (lightning back bar) and learnt to work with it without realising something is wrong. Then I roll a Sorc and Inferno staff weaving feels like absolute cack.
  • supaskrub
    supaskrub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vermintide wrote: »

I mention that in the opening post.. horrible.. never tried weaving it with a shock staff though but i dare say its terrible..
  • BlanketFort
    BlanketFort
    ✭✭✭✭
    This has been terrorising my healer for months now.
    The lighting light attacks magically turn into heavy attacks that I can’t cancel. I just stand there like an idiot, stuck in a seemingly long heavy attack animation, my group’s health gets low and I can’t do anything about it and my teammates are like “wat u doin 0.o we dying”.

Then when I finally break out of it, more often than not none of my skills will work for around 2-5 seconds, which can feel like an eternity in a healing-heavy scenario. I can see it draining my magicka as I frantically spam springs, or BoL someone from
    the brink of death... but there they are, still dying :-( makes me want to throw my controller out the window.

ZOS please fix, I can’t stand my group’s evil eye anymore every time this happens and wipes half the Team.
    Edited by BlanketFort on January 31, 2018 1:26PM
  • DigitalEulogy
    DigitalEulogy
    ✭✭✭

I did not realize this was an issue. I literally thought I was just doing it wrong! Ha thanks for helping me realize I am not just a scrub.
  • Niobium
    Niobium
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh my gosh I thought this was just an issue with me!

As a healer running lightning backbar, I'm forever getting stuck in heavy attacks that I'm not actually doing, nor ever intended to do - both with resto and lightning staves. Can become quite problematic at times.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It’s wonky af. If you pull/release the trigger real fast it works sometimes. If your too slow to release the trigger you get a long channeled heavy attack even well after you e released the trigger.
  • IRDeja
    IRDeja
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    It’s wonky af. If you pull/release the trigger real fast it works sometimes. If your too slow to release the trigger you get a long channeled heavy attack even well after you e released the trigger.

This I definitely notice - so many times I've been locked into a Shock or Resto heavy attack that I can't even block cancel or bar swap out of.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There have been multiple threads where I and others have brought the long-standing lightning staff issues to the attention of ZoS. It's impossible for them to not know about it. I've been getting stuck in lightning staff heavy attacks that I can't break since I've started playing the game.

I am now CP 850.

How does this happen?
  • Zer0oo
    Zer0oo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No ETA on the fix or even a word if they know about these bug.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/354919/bug-report-lightning-heavy-attacks-daedric-tomb
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/381197/long-time-lightning-staff-bugs
    probably many more

Also tagging a dev is kinda pointless your best bet would be to tag GinaBruno and just keep repeating that they should fix it till they finally do. Worked on the willow's path and feeding pit but took i think almost 2 years to fix them and they should have been easy fixes.
    Ice Furnace: This item set now grants Spell Damage, rather than Weapon Damage for the 4 piece bonus
    - Update 23
  • Getern
    Getern
    ✭✭✭

I did not realize this was an issue. I literally thought I was just doing it wrong! Ha thanks for helping me realize I am not just a scrub.

Thye screwed up animation of Swallow Soul in DB patch (almost 2 years ago), It became feature by now.
  • Hurtfan
    Hurtfan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was just me too. When I use overload and cast a bunch of light attacks in a row, sometimes it will do a heavy attack and get stuck. On the PS4 I have to hit L2 and R2 at the same time to get it unstuck. Which sucks when I'm using overload light attacks for ranged combat, then it does a heavy attack out of nowhere and drains my ult but it isn't hitting anyone since the enemies are ranged.

Edit: also I agree with the OP on some light attacks just aren't firing, and at the moment I use a lightning staff the majority of the time
    Edited by Hurtfan on January 31, 2018 5:19PM
    For the Pact!
    Keyboard not found, press any key to continue
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    XboxEU Agree with OP, lighting staff attacks are bugged, worse more recently too

And @Hurtfan overload is bugged as you say and has been from launch sadly. Twas the bane of getting Flawless back when OL was still cool for vMA
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    The reason weaving (animation cancelling) is so clunky is because it's a bug that was never intended to be in the game. When ZoS gave up on fixing this issue, it became a "feature". But get this right, the game was never designed to allow weaving like this.
    KanedaSyndrome's Suggestions For Game Improvements
    The Fortuitous Collapse of the Wave Equation
    The Best Plans Require No Action
  • Hurtfan
    Hurtfan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    XboxEU Agree with OP, lighting staff attacks are bugged, worse more recently too

And @Hurtfan overload is bugged as you say and has been from launch sadly. Twas the bane of getting Flawless back when OL was still cool for vMA

@Beardimus thanks for the info, I didn't know overload itself was bugged. It acts just like the lightning staff the op described so I just assumed it was related to that.

Time to swap out that ult for eye of the storm I suppose...which is going to be hard to do when light attacks from overload are hitting hard. If the light attacks from overload weren't buggy, man that would be awesome and devastating...
    Edited by Hurtfan on January 31, 2018 5:58PM
    For the Pact!
  • Alaztor91
    Alaztor91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason weaving (animation cancelling) is so clunky is because it's a bug that was never intended to be in the game. When ZoS gave up on fixing this issue, it became a "feature". But get this right, the game was never designed to allow weaving like this.

I always wondered if ZOS didn't tried harder to fix it because it was too hard/time consuming or because as some people suggest players ended up liking it because it made combat more fast paced and ZOS used that as an excuse. While I find LA/skill weaving fine, imo other stuff like block/dodge/barswap cancelling really feels out of place and makes your character look silly.

I mean if ZOS felt ok with it because it makes combat more fast paced, then what about the sustain changes from Morrowind? afaik most players didn't enjoyed them and they kinda make combat slower. Seems like a contradiction to me.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya and u end up masshi mg buttons b3cause abilitys will not fire between light attacks. I have to hit abilities 3 or 4 times in a row untill they fire. After light attach.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hurtfan wrote: »
    Beardimus wrote: »

@Beardimus thanks for the info, I didn't know overload itself was bugged. It acts just like the lightning staff the op described so I just assumed it was related to that.

Time to swap out that ult for eye of the storm I suppose...which is going to be hard to do when light attacks from overload are hitting hard. If the light attacks from overload weren't buggy, man that would be awesome and devastating...

EotS I def a winner for vMA etc now. OL builds still work if you really gear up for it and hit a 30k tooltip, bit when it jams or you can't get off the OL bar its mega frustrating. Also Ultimate used to gp up to 1000 bit they nerfed to specifically to reduce the Sorc ultimate and make it harder to sustain.

One trick I tried in vMA is to slot a destro skill on the bar, if it jams hit that and it auto pulls you out the OL bar. Not great but an options
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • supaskrub
    supaskrub
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I get that and I understand that, but why is shock staff weaving so different to an inferno weave?.. Inferno weaving is far superior in my opinion (from a usability point of view), others are not only seeing the problem with shock weaves but also with resto weaves which to me points the problem more at being related to those two types of staff having channeled heavy attacks whereas inferno heavy attacks are direct. We get on with animation cancelling just fine these days (not that I like it I may add) but it should not be so different from one weapon type to another as is the case here.
  • JamuThatsWho
    JamuThatsWho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is classic; people complaining about a bug with a bug :')
    @JamuThatsWho - PC EU - CP2000

Main:
    Vasiir-jo - Khajiit Necromancer, AD

Alts:
    Sul-Mael Hlarothran - Dunmer Sorcerer, EP

Ushaar-Ixaht - Argonian Nightblade, DC

Rorbakh gro-Khraag - Orc Templar, AD

Anduuroon - Altmer Warden, EP

Travanius Braelia - Imperial Dragonknight, DC
  • ereboz
    ereboz
    ✭✭✭✭
    I completely agree, this is why even on my mag sorc I switched the font bar to a fire staff. Far easier to weave and results in better numbers, even while losing some dmg from the shock passive.
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Was about to make a video today. I was messing with swallow soul on resto bar. Animation cancelled heavy attack don’t actually hit but count towards merciless. Would assume it would be the same with lightning. Empty channel time is my best guess.
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Happens to me on all my magicka builds frequently. Frustrating
  • Hurtfan
    Hurtfan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dangit, now I'm going to have to bust out an inferno staff too, which I do use occasionally but prefer lighting in PvP because, try dodging a heavy attack from a lightning staff.
    For the Pact!
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This has been terrorising my healer for months now.
    The lighting light attacks magically turn into heavy attacks that I can’t cancel. I just stand there like an idiot, stuck in a seemingly long heavy attack animation, my group’s health gets low and I can’t do anything about it and my teammates are like “wat u doin 0.o we dying”.

Then when I finally break out of it, more often than not none of my skills will work for around 2-5 seconds, which can feel like an eternity in a healing-heavy scenario. I can see it draining my magicka as I frantically spam springs, or BoL someone from
    the brink of death... but there they are, still dying :-( makes me want to throw my controller out the window.

ZOS please fix, I can’t stand my group’s evil eye anymore every time this happens and wipes half the Team.

Im not 100% sure but I think you can cancel the channel with by blocking because its not a skill on the global CD timer. Maybe it will help to get heals off in tricky situations.
    PC - EU (AD)
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dangit, now I'm going to have to bust out an inferno staff too, which I do use occasionally but prefer lighting in PvP because, try dodging a heavy attack from a lightning staff.

If you block the last tick the caster doesnt get resources back.
    PC - EU (AD)
  • Shad0wfire99
    Shad0wfire99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not just Lightning staves. Inferno's are clunky too. Pretty sure it's been this way since Dark Brotherhood, when they completely boned animation cancelling.

XBox NA
  • Princess_Ciri
    Princess_Ciri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the worst part about this lightning staff feature is when as a healer you get stuck in a heavy attack on back bar and then you have to do another fully charged heavy attack on the same bar otherwise the game stops letting you cast healing springs. I love how one bug leads to another in this game

GM and raid leader of Hot Girls Play DPS, the cutest guild EU
  • Hurtfan
    Hurtfan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you block the last tick the caster doesnt get resources back.

Interesting, did not know that but should've noticed this.
    For the Pact!