The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dungeon Finder Suggestion

xynode
xynode
✭✭✭✭
@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Finn @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_RichLambert

The dungeon finder in game is of course one of the fastest ways to get in a quick group to dive straight into the content. Whether you are after quests/skill points, exp or playing and farming for achievements, gear/loot.

However the problem i have seen has always been and is centered around the random DLC dungeons (amazing content but hear me out).

I appreciate that recently a cap for levels has been put in place to allow players to see a lot of the game first before they get pulled into these harder content and mechanically challenging dungeons (normal no dlc until level 45 vet no dlc until 160 in group finder).
BUT it is ridiculously easy to level up fast, skip any knowledge of the game's base mechanics and mob variations, and end up STRAIGHT into a blood root with a group of faked roles with a destined to fail setup.
I personally do not think capping the level of the group finder is helping as much as it was intended due to it not giving the average player (especially if they power leveled) enough time to see the game before hitting the big stuff.

When was the last time you looked at your exp bar..decided that a random dungeon would be the best course of action for an exp boost (which is correct btw) and PRAYED for a white gold tower random or cradle of shadows? Unfortunately despite how cool the DLC content is, most don't want that to happen. The random dungeon will usually be a complete mess, there will be a mixture of "no idea what to do" and "carry me i cannot be bothered to spec to pve" players trying to get a quick boost.
Now, that IS fine for most dungeons, you can get away with it with a lot of the content especially on normal. BUT in DLC dungeons that is usually the recipe for disaster. People will get kicked for roles, level, experience, and normally 4x newer or lesser experienced players will fail on repeat never to speak to each other again due to frustration of their first real dungeon finder experience after telling EACH OTHER how much they suck because the mechanics were not understood...this can and DOES get messy.

What i "SUGGEST" is that the dungeon finder is SLIGHTLY altered in the UI due to the difficult mechanics requiring group co-ordination in the DLC dungeons.
Have the dungeon finder as it is now, with random normals, random vets and all that jaz, BUT add a "tick box" to allow or Disallow the DLC content in the list for your random daily dungeon.
That way you can be sure the people who signed up for them deliberately went for them and can use that as a somewhat choice of "difficulty" of the content they want to randomize rather than constantly getting thrown into ICP on repeat and never passing it when all they really want is a simple dungeon for their exp boost.
Do not EXCLUDE the DLC from the dungeon finder, but at least allow it to be a CHOICE as to whether they are part of the list or not. Some REALLY experienced players get fungal grotto 1 all day long and their life is a breeze, while others get cradle of shadows all day long on repeat and still haven't had a chance to get THEIR bonus exp because people keep getting kicked for not knowing what to do. This in my opinion is a little unfair especially to newer players and NO doubt will scare them away from coming back into dungeons because their first experience was an absolute nightmare due to difficulty vs understanding of the new game they are playing.

I think something like this would be safer for newer players to break into the easier dungeons first (taking into consideration they level fast but don't have the experience for lord warden etc) and then have a better time doing randoms until they want to hit the harder stuff.

There is content in the game for everyone and some people want to pace it rather than get thrown in at the deep end :)

Edited by xynode on January 29, 2018 5:25PM
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would be nice but asking for interface upgrades like this is a pipe-dream. I've been asking for a "tick box" to filter between known and unknown motifs/recipes at traders since I've been on these message boards along with many other people. They don't upgrade interfaces like this. We can even search for furniture in the crown-store in the housing interface but not the guild trade one. Seems they only want to put features like that in completely new interfaces and not upgrade the old ones.
    Options
  • krystinathealien
    I FULLY agree with this! The amount of times a group has rage quit on the Inhibitor in vWGT because everyone has a different approach to the fight is ridiculous. Plus, before the level restrictions, I had to tank normal Bloodroot at level 10 (luckily I knew the mechanics). Not everyone is lucky to already know them.

For a long time I refused to run random normals because I had the chance to get WGT, ICP, Mazzatun, or CoS. They don’t bother me now, of course, but I remember well being utterly intimidated by them. I know there are other players out there like me who would like to experience dungeons without the intimidation of the more difficult DLC dungeons.
    Edited by krystinathealien on January 29, 2018 4:11PM
    PSN & PC - krystinathealien
    Options
  • xynode
    xynode
    ✭✭✭✭
    I FULLY agree with this! The amount of times a group has rage quit on the Inhibitor in vWGT because everyone has a different approach to the fight is ridiculous. Plus, before the level restrictions, I had to tank normal Bloodroot (luckily I knew the mechanics). Not everyone is lucky to already know them.

For a long time I refused to run random normals because I had the chance to get WGT, ICP, Mazzatun, or CoS. They don’t bother me now, of course, but I remember well being utterly intimidated by them.

Yup the content is amazing and should be played by all but those are scary places for new people and i think the CHOICE to go in "feet first" or "try it later when i have more experience" would help a lot and still allow for full use of the dungeon finder while acquiring the knowledge of mechanic types :)
    Options
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is a great idea, especially for a new player who might have heard nightmares about certain dungeons and quit the moment they set foot in them.
    Even adding checkboxes like in the "spacific dungeon" finder would be great.
    World of Warcraft has this feature for the PvP battlegrounds where you can exclude any two from the list of random choices. I think this could work for ESO's dungeon finder, even if it had a limit on how many could be excluded at a time.
    Great suggestion!
    Edited by Kel on January 29, 2018 4:14PM
    Options
  • xynode
    xynode
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »
    Would be nice but asking for interface upgrades like this is a pipe-dream. I've been asking for a "tick box" to filter between known and unknown motifs/recipes at traders since I've been on these message boards along with many other people. They don't upgrade interfaces like this. We can even search for furniture in the crown-store in the housing interface but not the guild trade one. Seems they only want to put features like that in completely new interfaces and not upgrade the old ones.

Nothing wrong with dreams, but if you don't ask you don't get. Lets see if the suggestion can go anywhere.
    This was a positive message aimed at helping people not a negative "what's the point they won't do it" post, lets wait and see what people and ZOS think about it:)

Also i totally agree with the search bar on the traders, infact i wish for a search board in capital cities leading you to the item and trader you are looking for. Would also mean more obscure ignored traders would get a look in and not just the popular rigged "hold and delete guild" location traders. Opening up the market and all:)
    Options
  • xynode
    xynode
    ✭✭✭✭
    jabrone77 wrote: »
    I think this is a great idea, especially for a new player who might have heard nightmares about certain dungeons and quit the moment they set foot in them.
    Even adding checkboxes like in the "spacific dungeon" finder would be great.
    World of Warcraft has this feature for the PvP battlegrounds where you can exclude any two from the list of random choices. I think this could work for ESO's dungeon finder, even if it had a limit on how many could be excluded at a time.
    Great suggestion!

exactly, standard content is completely different to DLC content in terms of difficulty and mechanics yet anyone can access them within a day. Which is fine, but most are not ready. It would be good to have a choice rather than thrown in at the deepend.
    Also version I of a dungeon completed before version II is opened, could also support some form of progression and story following AND push simple mechanics first (version I) and lead into more difficult mechanics (version II) .

Lets see what they say:)
    Options
  • Stratti
    Stratti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be good, nothing more frustrating then people who drop st the start in succession.
    Options
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    xynode wrote: »

Nothing wrong with dreams, but if you don't ask you don't get. Lets see if the suggestion can go anywhere.
    This was a positive message aimed at helping people not a negative "what's the point they won't do it" post, lets wait and see what people and ZOS think about it:)

Also i totally agree with the search bar on the traders, infact i wish for a search board in capital cities leading you to the item and trader you are looking for. Would also mean more obscure ignored traders would get a look in and not just the popular rigged "hold and delete guild" location traders. Opening up the market and all:)

Yep there is no harm in asking. I hope we get all the interfaces upgraded.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. How is GF focused on DLC dungeons? The random GF is just that, random. Only if someone has specifically selected a DLC dungeon and entered GF us yiur chances for getting a DLC dungeon raised but that could happen with any dungeon.

What Zos could do is increase the add the check box and if it's not checked then the reward is decreased and provide the reward as though someone had already done their random for the day.
    Options
  • xynode
    xynode
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    1. How is GF focused on DLC dungeons? The random GF is just that, random. Only if someone has specifically selected a DLC dungeon and entered GF us yiur chances for getting a DLC dungeon raised but that could happen with any dungeon.

What Zos could do is increase the add the check box and if it's not checked then the reward is decreased and provide the reward as though someone had already done their random for the day.

I think you have misunderstood the post, I didn't say it is FOCUSED on DLC dungeons, only that by CHANCE newer players can get the raw end of the deal and not quite be ready for it, where as people who are incredibly experienced could get the exact opposite. This tick box idea of "dlc or no dlc" in the random group finder would mean there is still lots of randomness applied but they are not forced to go into (what would be for them) REALLY hard content as a first time experience.

The level cap idea is not really working on it's own in my opinion because you can get to level requirement for the dungeons way too fast these days with no in game experience for mechanics really required #SkyreachHurtsNewPlayers .
    Options
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It does feel like that when you use the random dungeon finder that you get a DLC dungeon way more often than Non-DLC dungeons even though there are less of them. I have not taken down the results of my queues to look back but maybe I will start.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the random dungeon queue had a larger chance for a DLC dungeon if you are above the level that allows you to get them. This would cause people to spend more time doing their daily random because the DLC dungeons are the longest ones and we know ZoS loves to get us to spend time repeating content.

Also many things in this game like force-lock and pickpocket never seem to be totally on the up and up with what the percentage is telling you and what the outcome actually is so I wouldn't be surprised if the random dungeon finder was not completely "random"

The RNG in this game isn't totally random in terms of other things either like gear. Why do I get bone-pirate restoration staff 20% of the time as my final loot drop from the last boss in Blackheart Haven? Why do i get an automaton inferno staff 20% of the time when I complete darkshade caverns as a drop from the final boss? How come sometimes I get the exact same piece of gear in the exact same trait as a group member from multiple bosses in a dungeon run?

Nothing in this game is completely random. ZoS holds all the cards here and doesn't have to reveal them.
    Options
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I definitely agree with the tick box. We have this in SWTOR so if I want to run a certain flashpoint or a group of flashpoints but want to leave others out since the probability of wiping with PUGs is high I can select only the ones that I'm willing to run. I see no issue giving the ESO player base the options to further control their gaming experience.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It does feel like that when you use the random dungeon finder that you get a DLC dungeon way more often than Non-DLC dungeons even though there are less of them. I have not taken down the results of my queues to look back but maybe I will start.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the random dungeon queue had a larger chance for a DLC dungeon if you are above the level that allows you to get them. This would cause people to spend more time doing their daily random because the DLC dungeons are the longest ones and we know ZoS loves to get us to spend time repeating content.

Also many things in this game like force-lock and pickpocket never seem to be totally on the up and up with what the percentage is telling you and what the outcome actually is so I wouldn't be surprised if the random dungeon finder was not completely "random"

The RNG in this game isn't totally random in terms of other things either like gear. Why do I get bone-pirate restoration staff 20% of the time as my final loot drop from the last boss in Blackheart Haven? Why do i get an automaton inferno staff 20% of the time when I complete darkshade caverns as a drop from the final boss? How come sometimes I get the exact same piece of gear in the exact same trait as a group member from multiple bosses in a dungeon run?

Nothing in this game is completely random. ZoS holds all the cards here and doesn't have to reveal them.

Feeling like it seems that way doesn't make it so. Random is random but we tend to notice what impairs us more than what works fine.

It's like the force lock you mention. It's when it's unsuccessful and especially when that randomness isn't in our favor we notice. Those times with master locks we pick several in a row on the first attempts tend to fall from memory faster.
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a tick box. There's a bunch of tick boxes. Use the drop-down menu to select "Specific Dungeons." Then you never have to worry about getting one you don't want.

But then I won't get the reward for doing my Daily Random Dungeon!

Well, yeah. Its the Daily Random Dungeon, not the Daily Guaranteed Quik 'N Easy Random Dungeon. The greater reward is because of the greater risk. If you don't want the risk (or you don't want to eat the queue penalty for dropping group and hoping for another easier dungeon) you don't get the reward. Deal with it.
    Options
  • xynode
    xynode
    ✭✭✭✭
    I definitely agree with the tick box. We have this in SWTOR so if I want to run a certain flashpoint or a group of flashpoints but want to leave others out since the probability of wiping with PUGs is high I can select only the ones that I'm willing to run. I see no issue giving the ESO player base the options to further control their gaming experience.

Exactly, freedom to allow or disallow certain difficulty of the content in your daily runs would help a lot of players especially since everyone plays at their own pace.

Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly, freedom to allow or disallow certain difficulty of the content in your daily runs would help a lot of players especially since everyone plays at their own pace.

That's what the option to select specific dungeons is there for. You don't get the extra special rewards that come with the risk of getting a hard random dungeon, but you can guarantee that you won't get content you don't want to do.
    Options
  • xynode
    xynode
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's a tick box. There's a bunch of tick boxes. Use the drop-down menu to select "Specific Dungeons." Then you never have to worry about getting one you don't want.

Well, yeah. Its the Daily Random Dungeon, not the Daily Guaranteed Quik 'N Easy Random Dungeon. The greater reward is because of the greater risk. If you don't want the risk (or you don't want to eat the queue penalty for dropping group and hoping for another easier dungeon) you don't get the reward. Deal with it.

So the only people allowed to benefit from the boost in exp are the people that you deem good enough to complete the harder content if they are unfortunate enough to get it if they are lesser experienced? And they should "deal with it"? I think you have a completely different mindset on this and are having the "git gud" approach which is NOT what this post is about.

Options
  • xynode
    xynode
    ✭✭✭✭

That's what the option to select specific dungeons is there for. You don't get the extra special rewards that come with the risk of getting a hard random dungeon, but you can guarantee that you won't get content you don't want to do.

I know 100% what the CHOICE in dungeons part is for if you want to choose something specific. I am clearly not talking about SPECIFIC. I am talking about the "random" option and unlucky newer players getting thrown into dlc's too early. Allowing for equal use of the random feature and not punishing those who will possibly fail upon entering for not understanding what to do early on. A tick box will allow randomness like everyone else, but not force them to go into the really hard content.Randomize vs their capabilities and experience.

BTW i can see you are defending your right to get that EXP boost to the death based on the fact you think players should "git gud" for that reward? But isnt the bonus exp for people LEVELING? not the ones that have everything max and are the "best of the best of the best SIR!"

open your mind a little and understand that not EVERYONE is "elite" in the game and there is no harm in players using the same features as you but for stuff THEY can manage:)
    Options
  • krystinathealien

That’s all well and good for someone who is iffy about doing the content, but why hurt the rest of the group who knows what they’re doing and they’re stuck with someone who is either geared up for PvP or is unwilling to communicate that they don’t know the mechanics?

Yes, of course, we have the specific dungeon finder. It works great. But it doesn’t help out in the case of leveling. Which obviously you don’t need to do.

If you don’t want to think of other players, think of yourself. Do you really want to be stuck in a group with a bunch of Skyreach levelers who don’t know the mechanics and are unwilling to listen?
    PSN & PC - krystinathealien
    Options
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Feeling like it seems that way doesn't make it so. Random is random but we tend to notice what impairs us more than what works fine.

It's like the force lock you mention. It's when it's unsuccessful and especially when that randomness isn't in our favor we notice. Those times with master locks we pick several in a row on the first attempts tend to fall from memory faster.

No i don't just forget stuff that happens. I remember it and then I formed this opinion based on my experiences. You have 0 proof that all of this stuff is random and that RNG isn't weighted. Just like I have 0 proof just my personal experiences and those of others which is all we can go off of. Someone actually posted a thread here a couple weeks ago where they took down the results of forcing 1000 locks of varying difficulties and they found that the percentages were off of their actual results. I wish i could find the thread and if I do I will post it here.
    Edited by Apache_Kid on January 29, 2018 5:07PM
    Options
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And I suppose if you're in a group of undergeared players who've never been in Falkreath before, you'd teach them the mechanics, right?
    Probably not...
    Choice isn't always a bad thing. And if you're not willing to teach, and you don't want to give players that chioce, you are also going to get groups that struggle and quit just stepping foot in those dungeons.
    Choices can be good...even for you...
    Options
  • xynode
    xynode
    ✭✭✭✭

And I suppose if you're in a group of undergeared players who've never been in Falkreath before, you'd teach them the mechanics, right?
    Probably not...
    Choice isn't always a bad thing. And if you're not willing to teach, and you don't want to give players that chioce, you are also going to get groups that struggle and quit just stepping foot in those dungeons.

Agreed, lots of players want to see the content and get constantly kicked because they are not sure what to do, so they try to do other stuff instead, but keep getting thrown into dlc again and again...kicked.
    Having the choice to wait until they are comfortable would keep them active and learning throughout dungeons and gradually work their way into that stuff and STILL take advantage of the random finder like everyone else :)
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So the only people allowed to benefit from the boost in exp are the people that you deem good enough to complete the harder content if they are unfortunate enough to get it if they are lesser experienced? And they should "deal with it"? I think you have a completely different mindset on this and are having the "git gud" approach which is NOT what this post is about.

Yes. Actually. If you can't do the Random Dungeon where "random" includes all of available dungeons, you shouldn't get the reward.

If you want to suggest that you get a 75% experience reward for this "Base Game Only Random Dungeon" option that you want, go for it. But, no, you don't deserve the full reward.
    Options
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by DoctorESO on September 23, 2018 1:40AM
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not...

Hi. I main a tank. Mechanics and teaching mechanics to PUGs is what I like to do. So if that group of undergeared players gets into Falkreath Hold with me and are willing to listen when I explain mechanics, we'll do fine.

So, uh, I have no problems with helping players through harder dungeons. I realize that's not the case with everyone. But that has little to no bearing on whether or not the Random Dungeon should or should not include DLC dungeons.
    Options
  • xynode
    xynode
    ✭✭✭✭

Probably not...

Hi. I main a tank. Mechanics and teaching mechanics to PUGs is what I like to do. So if that group of undergeared players gets into Falkreath Hold with me and are willing to listen when I explain mechanics, we'll do fine.

So, uh, I have no problems with helping players through harder dungeons. I realize that's not the case with everyone. But that has little to no bearing on whether or not the Random Dungeon should or should not include DLC dungeons.

YOU may help others but not everyone does. The bigger picture is new players do not always get the help they need and are constantly kicked by toxic elitists with a one track mind, OR thrown into something they cannot handle. There is no harm in "suggesting" that lower level players could choose to opt in or out of DLC content in their random dice roll of which dungeon they will get so they can actually get their bonus exp for the day.

You are just repeating "no i don't like it"...we heard you:)
    Options
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First you start out by saying new players aren't learning the game because they don't get a chance to see mechanics and all that fun stuff. Then you want their exposure to the dungeons that would force them to learn mechanics to be lowered. Doesn't make sense.
    When I get a random group that is reluctant to do a DLC dungeon I ask them to at least go to the first boss and see how we do. After that boss we can decide stay or go. If we leave at the start we are getting a time out anyway so might as well see how it goes. Fun thing is with those random groups we end up finishing the dungeon more often than we decide to give up. Sure there are some failures but when and where I can I try and help the whole group learn from that. We really don't need to change the game. We need to change how the experienced players interact with the newer players.

I know some players are limited on time and don't want to spend it walking new players through content that normally gets burned down quick. I understand that but if you do have the time slow down a bit and help the new players out so they come to have no fear of the DLCs.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
    Options
  • Diminish
    Diminish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want your bonus xp, you queue for a random daily and take the risk of getting a DLC dungeon. Simple as that. You don't want that risk? Queue to specific dungeons, and forfeit your bonus xp. Nothing needs to change with group finder other than the stupid ways you get put in timeout like a 5 year old for leaving/bwing kicked, but we don't need to get into that right now...
    Options
  • Jarryzzt
    Jarryzzt
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem with any voluntary system such as the OP suggests (tick the box to do/not do DLC dungeons) is that it will, necessarily, be abused.

Meaning, one, you are going to get players who'll figure only experienced people tick the right box and they'll carry them. It may not always be the right idea, but they'll still have it. And two, you'll always get players who do not quite get what the box is for (or do not even notice it) and opt into DLC dungeons by accident (which is even worse, arguably, in the sense that they really won't know any of the mechanics).

The other thing is if the problem is that of some players not knowing (or caring to know) the mechanics...any type of gating system (level-based, trial-based, etc.) is not going to fix it. At best gating will make sure that by the time you get to content X, you have enough DPS/tank/whatever the gate tests you on. But it likely won't teach you what to do in the guardian fight in White Tower, even if one is willing to learn - and if one is just an "ololo-rush" Leeroy Jenkins type, well, I've tried Cradle with PUGs like that, more than once. Three guesses as to which boss absolutely destroyed them, repeatedly.

So I get where the OP is coming from, I think, but am not sure that this is really a solvable problem in the context of ESO. Not without a major redesign, at any rate.
    Options
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People who use random daily are in the same queue as those who select specific dungeons. Take away DLCs and those who want them will have a hard time.

I'd rather see a better reward for random DLCs. They're so much harder and take much longer.

So let's have the option for both, non-dlc and just DLC.
    Options