The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Xbox One S/X and SSD

Fang_of_Lorkhaj
Fang_of_Lorkhaj
✭✭✭✭
Important question. Who here is using an External SSD for their xbox. What are you using and did it improve your eso experience/gameplay?

I'm heavily considering one, but first I need to know more about it.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surely the X has SSD built in no? If not that's mega strange, SSD is stock tech now
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Important question. Who here is using an External SSD for their xbox. What are you using and did it improve your eso experience/gameplay?

I'm heavily considering one, but first I need to know more about it.

Neither the X or the S has an SSD.

I ran the X for a day (on release day) without an SSD - and instantly changed to it.
    i would say it sped ESO loading times up by 35%
    in fact the figures i used at the time (these changed a bit)

auridon - grahtwood wayshrine before = 31 seconds , after = 8 seconds

hope that helps
  • SASQUATCH0
    SASQUATCH0
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let’s just say I’ve only DC’d in vivec Xbox NA about 2 Times since I got the One X a month ago.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering I just looked up a 1TB SSD and the Samsung Evo one is $350? Yeah no way would they put that in the console.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SASQUATCH0 wrote: »
    Let’s just say I’ve only DC’d in vivec Xbox NA about 2 Times since I got the One X a month ago.

thats one more than me.

the X and the SSD really did make ESO useable
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crucial 1TB MX500 2.5" Internal SSD is what I put in my PS4 and at the time it was $250.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So i upgarded to the One X right when it came out and received no actual performance increases other than graphic and frame rate increases. If those are your issues then just the Xbox will be good for you. If you want decreased load times then you need a SSD.

I used to have terrible loading issues. It would talk me abut 90-120 seconds to load in to crowded cities and sometimes I would load in to the city, walk 10 feet and get another 30 second loadscreen. Ever since putting ESO on an SSD my load screens are basically never more than 20 seconds even at extremely crowded wayshrines. Also I used to have a problem with having to wait for NPCs and crafting stations to load as I walked up to them. Sometimes I would have to wait up to 30 seconds for NPCs to appear especially at the undaunted camp. Since I put ESO on an SSD i no longer have to wait for any of this. So if your goal is to reduce load times then I highly reccomend buying an SSD. You don't even need a One X to see these load time decreases as I've tried it on my original Xbox One too.

As far as crashes go, I still experience about the same number of crashes as when I was on a normal Xbox with no SSD. In DLC areas and frequently in Cyrodiil my Xbox will make the stuttering noise and instantly crash to the dashboard. After discussions with Xbox support these kind of crashes are coding errors and no amount of money we spend on our end will stop those if that is what you are hoping to solve with an SSD and new xbox.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know the only Xbox console that has an internal SSD is the Elite. The load times are very noticeable on the Elite compared to the original Xbox. The Elite froze and crashed just as much as the original Xbox when I had both.

When the X came out I purchased a Samsung SSD for that. Load times are similar to the Elite with the SSD; worse without it. I would say freezing and crashing have reduced but I think ZoS may have just improved this on their end.
  • Qwazzy
    Qwazzy
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been using a 500gb Samsung 850 EVO V-NAND SSD inside a StarTech USB 3.1 hard drive enclosure on an Xbox one X.

Noticed differences:
    Sub 10 second loading screens during prime time
    Minimal lag in both cyrodiil/trials when the new pipeline was released.
    Since it's been reverted only change is no black silhouettes when loading into major cities.

Video on how to set up an external SSD/enclosure for your Xbox.

https://youtu.be/t4evch303C4

Edited by Qwazzy on January 30, 2018 7:23PM
    Smallscale/Solo player on multiple servers

PC North America - Characters
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 16
    AD Templar - PvP 33
    AD Nightblade - PvP 17
    AD Dragonknight - PvP 19
    AD Necromancer - PvP 22
    EP Sorcerer - PvP 20
    EP Templar - PvP 21
    EP Nightblade - PvP 20
    DC Sorcerer - PvP 16
    DC Templar - PvP 24
    DC Nightblade - PvP 18
    Xbox North America - Characters
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 32
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 20
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 14
    AD Templar - PvP 41
    AD Templar - PvP 16
    AD Templar - PvP 14
    AD Warden - PvP 29
    AD Nightblade - PvP 27
    AD Dragonknight - PvP 18
    AD Necromancer - PvP 14
    Xbox Europe - Characters
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 42
    AD Templar - PvP 36
    EP Sorcerer - PvP 16
  • Fang_of_Lorkhaj
    Fang_of_Lorkhaj
    ✭✭✭✭
    Qwazz wrote: »
    I've been using a 500gb Samsung 850 EVO V-NAND SSD inside a StarTech USB 3.1 hard drive enclosure on an Xbox one X.

Noticed differences:
    Sub 10 second loading screens during prime time
    Minimal lag in both cyrodiil/trials when the new pipeline was released.
    Since it's been reverted only change is no black silhouettes when loading into major cities.

Video on how to set up an external SSD/enclosure for your Xbox.

https://youtu.be/t4evch303C4

You are *** awesome thank you