The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Suggestion: Housing Materials

G1Countdown
G1Countdown
✭✭✭✭✭
I've been into housing since it came out and I'm coming to realize how many housing materials I go through. Bast, heartwood, mundane runes, alchemical resin & regulus runs out often. I see an opportunity to further expand their availability without over-saturating their drop rate. Right now, the only way to get these materials is to pluck the node that they have a drop chance in and if you are lucky through heavy sacks.

I suggest we add housing materials to the following methods as well:
  • Survey Reports from our daily writs.
  • Wet Gunny Sacks from fishing.
  • Hireling Mails

I see the biggest opportunity in including these materials in Survey Reports from completing the daily crafting quests. We can add one node to each survey report giving 10-20 of the housing material in question.

The Wet Gunny Sack is really just rng roulette. So the odds are against you, but it would be nice if there was a drop of these materials.

And, lastly hireling mails could compliment the availability of these items while still limiting the quantity given (say somewhere between 1 and 5) of each material. Once again, the odds would be against getting it since the item pool is so large and rng is rng. But, its a move in the right direction.

Thats my suggestion in a nutshell.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds like an entirely reasonable way to add additional sources of housing materials to the game, and I say this as someone who both uses the hirelings and who sells the furnishing materials I get from my farming.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't checked in a while, but I'm pretty sure they're still classified in the unaltered guild trader interface as a rare provisioning ingredient.

So I wouldn't be opposed to adding them as an option for the provisioning hireling. That would boost the supplies a little bit but not too much, while also circumventing the lack of an alchemy hireling. But nearly a year later I think there's a lot more quantity supplied than the demand for those materials, so I wouldn't add more than one additional method of receiving them.
    signing off
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In case you missed it, @G1Countdown, these are also available for gold in-game at the guild traders. Finding them at crafting nodes isn’t the only option.
  • Blkadr
    Blkadr
    ✭✭✭✭
    In case you missed it, @G1Countdown, these are also available for gold in-game at the guild traders. Finding them at crafting nodes isn’t the only option.

Yes but he doesn't want to spend so much gold it seems when it takes such a huge amount of materials to make items. Just upping the places where they can be gotten is a good idea. The survey reports especially should give the same chance at materials that their normal counterparts already do, if not higher since they're actually rewards.

• G1Countdown
    G1Countdown
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, all items not bound typically can be found at guild traders. I'm aware. :wink: My suggestion is just a way to increase supply without altering the drop rate.
  • Cave_Canem
    Cave_Canem
    ✭✭✭
    Blkadr wrote: »
    Yes but he doesn't want to spend so much gold it seems when it takes such a huge amount of materials to make items. Just upping the places where they can be gotten is a good idea. The survey reports especially should give the same chance at materials that their normal counterparts already do, if not higher since they're actually rewards.

It doesn't take a huge amount of materials to craft a piece of furniture, if you want to decorate an entire house to all 700 slots with epic furniture that takes an epic amount off mats and so it should!

Nonetheless, I also would like to see survey nodes have the same chance at furniture mats as normal nodes.
  • Truthsnark
    Truthsnark
    ✭✭✭✭
    This was brought up repeatedly during the PTS cycle for Homestead - all of these suggestions were floated loud and clear due to the low drop rate of housing materials noted during the test cycle. ZOS specifically took the stance then that no additional collection points would be added for housing materials other than the random non-survey gathering node or the heavy sack, so I would not hold out for any change there, unfortunately. :/ Personally, I don't see why they can't be added to surveys. At the time, ZOS didn't want people hoarding their survey reports prior to the live release, but that is obviously no longer an issue.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the proportion of housing-only mats to dual-purpose ones (tempers and style mats) appropriate? Not having done much furnishing yet, my impression was that the latter would be the bottleneck, as you're using them for regular crafting at the same time.

I'd imagine the deciding factor is the ratio of the furnishing crafting you do to the equipment/consumable crafting.
  • Truthsnark
    Truthsnark
    ✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    Is the proportion of housing-only mats to dual-purpose ones (tempers and style mats) appropriate? Not having done much furnishing yet, my impression was that the latter would be the bottleneck, as you're using them for regular crafting at the same time.

I'd imagine the deciding factor is the ratio of the furnishing crafting you do to the equipment/consumable crafting.

Anecdotally for me, the tempers are a non-issue because the furnishing recipes don't call for a lot of them. I'm not making legendary furnishing recipes; most are green or blue with the occasional smattering of purple and I have that stuff coming out of my ears. The style materials are generally a non-issue with the qualification that the Dwarven style material cost for Dwarven furnishings is COMPLETELY INSANE WTF.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Playing devil's advocate here - because Dwemer aren't a playable race?

• Truthsnark
    Truthsnark
    ✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    Playing devil's advocate here - because Dwemer aren't a playable race?

Not likely. Tempered Brass, for example, for the Clockwork style; you only need one Tempered Brass for any Clockwork furnishing recipe. But you need like FIFTEEN whole frames for a green Dwarven furnishing recipe and that's bunk. They actually treated the Dwarven furnishing style material needs as if they were a playable race, but those playable race materials are far, far, more common (even vendor purchasable) than the Dwarven ones.