The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

So how do you beat magplar?

iTzStevey
iTzStevey
✭✭✭
Just wondering how to beat magplar in pvp these days?

Major defile is useless because of purge.

They can seemingly perma block .

They can burst you in seconds.

Theyre tanky asf.
All ontop of being able to heal from 1-100% in one button press.

So im genuinely curious how we could beat a good magplar outside of being in a zerg. Which i hate. Any help is appreciated
  • Lorkhan
    Lorkhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing is....You cant beat a magplar..
  • Serjustin19
    Serjustin19
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lorkhan wrote: »
    The thing is....You cant beat a magplar..

:( You can't? I'm a Magplar, I die so easily. I'm trying to find my weakness.
    Formerly Serjustin19, Save for Forum Of Course.... Fiery_Darkness (PC NA) currently.
  • iTzStevey
    iTzStevey
    ✭✭✭
    There has to be a way though right? Surely zos would have nerfed it otherwise *cough* -_-
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    iTzStevey wrote: »
    Just wondering how to beat magplar in pvp these days?

Major defile is useless because of purge.

They can seemingly perma block .

They can burst you in seconds.

Theyre tanky asf.
    All ontop of being able to heal from 1-100% in one button press.

So im genuinely curious how we could beat a good magplar outside of being in a zerg. Which i hate. Any help is appreciated

By being better.

Understanding the mechanics of the game also helps. Major defile is most certainly not useless.
  • NirnStorm
    NirnStorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reapply defile and dots right after purge. Force them to purge repeatedly. If they are as tanky and as powerful as you describe it, likely that magplar does not have the craziest sustain and you can drain their mag to the point when they can't instantly purge and heal everything you do. Then you kill them.

If they are so damn OP how come you barely see magplars in the dueling scene? Just got to know how to work around their playstyle.
    Characters: (PC NA)
    Ruerock | mDK ___________________________________ Nirnstorm | Magplar
    Ruepork the Magsorc | Magsorc __________________ Nirnshade | Magblade
    Pay To Warden | Magden _________________________ Moar Siege | Stamsorc
    Necrotic Orb | Magcro ____________________________ Bluerock | mDK
    Thelol Kadjit | Magplar ___________________________ Chalman Keep | Stamden
    Characters: (PC EU)
    Reurock | mDK ___________________________________ Nirnstorm | Magplar
    Refrigerator Boy | Magden _______________________ One Button AoE Stun| Magsorc
    Why So Spearious | Stamplar _____________________ Ree ee ee ee | StamDK
    Faction Locked | Magblade _______________________ Bae Blade| Stamblade
    You Shalk Not Pass | Stamden ____________________ Frag N Cheese | Magsorc

🔥 Nirnstorm.com - Top Tier PvP Builds & Guides 🔥

ESO Stream Team Member
    Twitch
    : Twitch.tv/Nirnstorm
    YouTube: YouTube.com/Nirnstorm
    Community Discord: https://discord.gg/APy9KK3

PvP Guild - Flame - [ Videos ]

Faction Lock contradicts the One-Tamriel concept.
    Please do NOT keep it in the game.
  • dennissomb16_ESO
    dennissomb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CC. Magplar has limited stamina and stam regen. Run them out of stamina and they become more killable.
  • Warraxx
    Warraxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...over the head with a baseball bat.
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    CC. Magplar has limited stamina and stam regen. Run them out of stamina and they become more killable.

I don't think running magicka builds out of stam has been a win condition for the past year. At least none of those who know what they are doing.

CPs, heavy attacks with SnB, immov potions, Shackle / Amber / Bloodspawn and these things you know.
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apply stamina cost poison > CC before they can purge it > repeat > win.

It'll work every damned time, I promise you

@Asmael draining stam is still the best way to deal with a magplar imo. They cannot consistently deal with stam poison+CC combos if they have enough damage to be threatening at all
    Edited by Lexxypwns on January 25, 2018 5:37PM
  • jaime1982
    jaime1982
    ✭✭✭✭

This or repeated fear is what gets me on my magplar.
    Edited by jaime1982 on January 25, 2018 7:41PM
  • iTzStevey
    iTzStevey
    ✭✭✭
    Im playing stamplar btw, Some nice suggestions here! Also some typical tw*t replies but everything helps. So do stamina drain poisons increase block cost then? I didnt think it was counted as an ability! Ill have to try them out and see how it goes! Thankyou!
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This doesnt sound like a magplar problem but a problem with the tank metta and broken sets like
    Pirate skeleton with the debuf being purgeable.

In normal scenarios you attack a magplars stamina. No stamina makes them a sitting duck.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    An irony is that all aspects OP described in first post are all weaknesses of templar...
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »
    An irony is that all aspects OP described in first post are all weaknesses of templar...

I know, right.
    Asmael wrote: »

I don't think running magicka builds out of stam has been a win condition for the past year. At least none of those who know what they are doing.

CPs, heavy attacks with SnB, immov potions, Shackle / Amber / Bloodspawn and these things you know.

After Homestead when so many people went Witchmother's Brew, it become easier to run them out of stam. Even if they are using shackle, which a lot arn't, that's still only like 12K stamina, which isn't enough to continuously CC break and block cast Breath of life. If they are using Purple Food and Heavy, you won't run them out of stam, but you will of magicka. Plus heavy attacks can be blocked, and if I see a Sword and Board magplar wind up a heavy while on that bar, it's getting block and then I'm CCing them.

• Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    iTzStevey wrote: »
    Im playing stamplar btw, Some nice suggestions here! Also some typical tw*t replies but everything helps. So do stamina drain poisons increase block cost then? I didnt think it was counted as an ability! Ill have to try them out and see how it goes! Thankyou!

No but it increase CC break and dodge costs. Most builds that rely on block are min/maxed with the exact amount of stam sustain needed. Using poisons then immediately CC’ing before it can be purged will break their stam sustain. It may be “bad” to use poisons but I don’t have time to fight some tanky spec all day just because that’s his idea of fun.

Magplar in particular lacks a way to recover stam reliably
    Edited by Lexxypwns on January 25, 2018 10:53PM
  • Goshua
    Goshua
    ✭✭✭✭
    kill all their friends that seem to have no dps, jump on them with six mates

lf they're saving their own life they're not hurting you and will run out of gas..eventually.

I know burst is king but if you expect every target to melt after using 75% of your resources don't blame the templar

Edited by Goshua on January 26, 2018 6:16PM
  • Zer0oo
    Zer0oo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is can almost can not beat a mag templer if he is build for staying alive. This goes for all classes: Take a mag sorc who build just for sustain and is fighting a mag dd, he will not die if he spams harness and restro ulti.
    The main problem with templer is the healing they provide to other players while other classes who turtle up are just annoying.

I personal try to kill them with fall damage. It is the most fun way to do. Either knock them down or try to bait them to jump down a cliff to you eat the fall damage and getting a ulti in the face right after :D

(Ofc you could also try to use some kind of "cheats" like cost increase poison or cheat engine but i don't think it is worth to drop that low)
    Ice Furnace: This item set now grants Spell Damage, rather than Weapon Damage for the 4 piece bonus
    - Update 23
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can beat magplars that are built for solo play and open world small scale as dds. If you’re talking about just a heal bot build well good luck I jsut walk away. If you can’t beat a magplar that can burst you down so easily then you prob are just running into players who are better. There aren’t a ton of talented magplar players because actually they kinda lack burst outside of skoria and meteor or DBoS. If you meet an evenly matched magplar then be prepared to settle in for the long game. Focus on keeping your heals up and keep those CCs going like clockwork. When they’re out of stam go to town. Cost poisons work of course if you use those types of things.
    Edited by Vapirko on January 27, 2018 12:13PM
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This ....
  • Arobain
    Arobain
    ✭✭✭✭
    um? as soon as you put a major debuff on them, they will cleanse it, using their resources, you spam your major debuff, they spam cleanse, they run out of resources, not that hard man
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly depends on many different variables. The player, build and what pots they're using. Typically you want to run a magplar out of stam and major defile is effective, especially from multiple sources. Remember depending on the build magplar can have horrible sustain.

To give examples my argonian Templar runs a tankier well rounded setup even though I'm in light, running me out of stam is your best bet because if you let me stall and get a pot I'm most likely not going to die.

Then my current build on my high elf is pure glass, hits pretty hard but is extremely squishy and harder to adjust to. All it takes is pressure, don't let me go on the offense because if I'm allowed to be offensive it can be brutal. Between the shards, wall of elements, vamp bane, sweeps, Grothdar, pol, a set which I shall not name etc. you're most likely going to die.
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny how player say that magplar just purge all rebuffs. I'll tell you that, if ur a good magplar, that's not true. You purge what needs to be purged and only when it needs to be purged. Or you purge when you have a billion negative effects on you, to maximize the effectiveness of said purge.

You don't get a major defile put on you and immediately purge. You purge the defile when you a are ready to go defensive. You don't have a magdk searing strike you and immediately purge it. You let him apply two or three more negative effects before the purge.

If you notice a magplar prematurely purging all the time...it because he may be new, or doesn't quite have a full understanding of the class. Meaning he's going to go oom. Meaning you can kill him.

Purge is great, but nowhere near as detrimental as non Templars make it out to be
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly depends on many different variables. The player, build and what pots they're using. Typically you want to run a magplar out of stam and major defile is effective, especially from multiple sources. Remember depending on the build magplar can have horrible sustain.

To give examples my argonian Templar runs a tankier well rounded setup even though I'm in light, running me out of stam is your best bet because if you let me stall and get a pot I'm most likely not going to die.

Then my current build on my high elf is pure glass, hits pretty hard but is extremely squishy and harder to adjust to. All it takes is pressure, don't let me go on the offense because if I'm allowed to be offensive it can be brutal. Between the shards, wall of elements, vamp bane, sweeps, Grothdar, pol, a set which I shall not name etc. you're most likely going to die.

Zaan+cauul+Surge next patch, it’s just too much to deal with
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Found a Magplar in the Sewers a couple of days ago, managed to take him down pretty easy.

So I know that a Mag DK, and two Stam Sorcs can take one down.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

Zaan+cauul+Surge next patch, it’s just too much to deal with

Yeah that sounds like it could be pretty aids, magicka procs everywhere. Might be even better in no cp since its free damage.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lexxypwns cost increase poisons?? Weak. Those poison take the fun out of this game.

Defile meta if you've got the gear. Duroks even has arcane rings. Then it just comes down to pressure.

• Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only time I can actually take down a good one 1v1, is in werewolf form. I haven't really been put in that situation too often, without being interrupted and found myself in a 1vX scenario instead. The other toon I feel I might have a chance with, is my stamblade. So I think burst is my suggestion.
    I have tried this "you have to run them out of gas" strategy, but 1v1 it seems like a pretty hard task, if we're talking a good magplar. I simply can't do it, I eventually find myself being the one defending myself.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raudgrani wrote: »
    Only time I can actually take down a good one 1v1, is in werewolf form. I haven't really been put in that situation too often, without being interrupted and found myself in a 1vX scenario instead. The other toon I feel I might have a chance with, is my stamblade. So I think burst is my suggestion.
    I have tried this "you have to run them out of gas" strategy, but 1v1 it seems like a pretty hard task, if we're talking a good magplar. I simply can't do it, I eventually find myself being the one defending myself.

It's really just timing your burst around their stamina level. You'll be better off as a class with access to unblocked cc for this n

Point being, if they can't get up for 6 seconds, you should kill them in those 6 seconds. Even if they pop BoL 2 times after getting up, that's 3800x2 mag gone. Make them feel that by forcing them to use purge.

There is a reason zos didn't give us access to a strong hot and terrible Stam Regen sources.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Lexxypwns cost increase poisons?? Weak. Those poison take the fun out of this game.

Defile meta if you've got the gear. Duroks even has arcane rings. Then it just comes down to pressure.

@Brutusmax1mus I respect your opinion. But I don’t pay for this game to have boring half hour fights with everyone I run across. The tanky meta bores me beyond belief and the easiest way to end those long drawn out fights with tanky specs is cost increase poisons. By back bar-ing them I also have the option to proc them or not which still allows me to enjoy good fights without cheesing poisons while also always giving me a counter to overly tanky builds. As a primary solo player, I can’t afford to fight the block casting magplar for 25 minutes until someone shows up to Zerg me down, poisons allow me a counter to this.

Defile meta is just as bad as cost increase poisons, potentially even worse imo. Consider that every class can counter cost poisons by altering your playstyle while their active, heavy attack a lot and time your offensive window between poison proc, it’s not ideal but you can survive those fights on basically any class if you play accordingly. Only templars and shield stackers can counter defile metaand there’s no way to restore health other than TK which isn’t countered by defile.

Edit: using a back bar resource poison actually gimps me in fights where I choose not to use it since I lose resto light/heavies and a back bar berserker glyph that would allow me to run shock glyph or nirn+double DoT front bar. However, that’s an easy trade off imo since I refuse to deal with people who just turtle all day and present no real threat other than to attract a Zerg to help them
    Edited by Lexxypwns on January 28, 2018 6:28PM
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stun, damage, defile, repeat stun, ult. Dead.
    Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.