The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

(Answered)How do you sustain on your MagSorc?

Valykc
Valykc
✭✭✭✭✭
I just got an Asylum Lightning Staff and I was excited to try my Sorc out again except I can barely sustain my rotation even with 40k Magicka, 1.2 Mag Recovery, 75 in Arcanist, 75 in Tenacity, and 2 reduce cost glyphs. I’m running 5 Necro, 3 Willpower, 2 Illambris. Apprentice mundus and witchmothers brew.

Is there anything I can change to have better sustain?

My rotation is sloppy because I haven’t figured out timings yet but it is:

Buffs, Prey, LA, Scamp, LA, Blockade, LA, Liquid, LA, Prey, LA, Scamp, Pulse, LA, Pulse, LA, Blockade, LA, Liquid, LA, Repeat.

Swap Pulse weave for heavy attacks when potions are on cool down.
Edited by Valykc on January 25, 2018 1:03PM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can recommend a few options, roughly ordered from minimum DPS Impact to most severe DPS loss.

- Be Altmer for 9% Magicka regen
    - Use elemental drain if you are not already
    - Slot a support skill like purge or barrier for 10% regen from passives
    - Become a vampire for 10% more regen
    - Level alchemy passives and use crafted potions instead of looted ones
    - Use empowered Ward for 10% more regen
    - Use an absorb Magicka enchant on your staff
    - Wear 7 light armor for maximum regen and cost reduction
    - Heavy attack more frequently
    - Be a Breton for 3% cost reduction (slightly better than altmer regen, but you will lose elemental damage)
    - Seducer/Lich/Alteration set instead of Necro
    - Put cost reduction on all 3 jewelry
    - Swap apprentice Mundus stone to Atronach

Some combination of these should get you the sustain you want.

Edit: For dungeons and trials (in no particular order) you can also:
    - Use synergies, especially shards and orbs
    - Wear Moondancer when using synergies
    - Use endless fury over Mage's wrath
    - Use arcane well champion point passive
    - Use destruction staff skills with the Magicka restore passive
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on January 25, 2018 6:12AM
  • X3ina
    X3ina
    ✭✭✭
    I think he have troubles in pve
    SW GoH > ESO
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magicka Recovery Glyphs > Reduce cost IMO

If you are playing a proper Mag spec, you'll have sources of % increased recovery, which will help you scale your regen glyph(s), whereas Reduced Cost glyphs actually apply before stuff like Light Armour passives.

Magicka Recovery will also still help you out when you are heavy attacking to regain resources, whilst reduced cost will not.

Crafted potions along with the Medicinal Use passive will also improve your magicka sustain, as they will restore more magicka, and give you 100% uptime on Major Intellect, further increasing your magicka recovery by 20%

Beyond that, either slot Ele drain or ask a healer to run it for you, Minor Magickasteal is pretty massive in terms of what it gives you.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Try a heavy attack instead of Clench every other rotation and see if it helps. I run with 1390 mag regen (Altmer vamp) without cost reduction and usually dont have trouble with sustain. In some fights with downtime on the boss I slot Dark Deal to get magicka back when you cannot dps the boss.

An other option would be an infused staff with restore magicka glyph, the dmg reduction isnt that much and it really helps to get extra magicka back each time the enchant procs.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • AardvarkChips
    AardvarkChips
    ✭✭✭
    I generally do cloak, annulment, unstable wall, liquid lightning, then I run around them to keep them in the aoes, while I give them a heavy lightning attack, every time. I have my staff switch on my mouse middle button, so if I need to knock someone down, I swap, clench, swap back. It gives me a heavy attack all the time, so my magicka regens constantly, unless I get interrupted.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I generally do cloak, annulment, unstable wall, liquid lightning, then I run around them to keep them in the aoes, while I give them a heavy lightning attack, every time. I have my staff switch on my mouse middle button, so if I need to knock someone down, I swap, clench, swap back. It gives me a heavy attack all the time, so my magicka regens constantly, unless I get interrupted.

How do you Cloak on a magicka sorc?
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Valykc
    Valykc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok thanks everyone, I’ll give some of these a try!
  • AardvarkChips
    AardvarkChips
    ✭✭✭
    Lightning form, or whatever it's called, but I still think in Skyrim terms, so it's lightning cloak in my mind.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elley drain and heavy attack . You can slot dark exchange untill u learn to live without.