The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Can't use 64-bit client - Error 0xc000007b - nothing helps!

StellarWolf
StellarWolf
Soul Shriven
Hi guys,

I can't start the game in 64 bit. Whenever I try, I get the error "the application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)." That is a major problem. The 32-bit version starts just fine. Now, I tried updating my DirectX, removing and reinstalling Visual C++ redistros (only the x64 ones though), I also installed all windows updates. Nothing seems to work. Now I really don't feel like reinstalling Windows, because everything else works just fine, and I have a lot of other software that I would have to reinstall as well.

Is there any "scientific" way to find where the problem is? Guesswork hasn't helped so far.

Perhaps I could use something like sxstrace or so to get to the problem? Tech gurus, please help!!
I'm running Win7sp1 with an nvidia 750 video card
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    0xc000007b = STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_FORMAT
    and usually means that a 32bit process tried to load a 64bit DLL

You can try using Dependency Walker to find the offending process and DLL.

My uneducated guess would be a .NET framework problem. Also try reinstalling the 32bit C++ Redistributable ...
    idea.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on January 23, 2018 9:27PM
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    During the early weeks of the 64-bit client launch and when it was on PTS, we had this issue. It was solved then by installing the 64-bit VC++ 2010 Redist package from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14632

Also do check that your nVidia control panel is set to use your GeForce only and not i.e your motherboards GPU (and that it's also the only GPU for PhysX) and that the onboard GPU is disabled in BIOS (disable multiple monitors for the on board GPU in bios). That is of course unless you are using it with a monitor. Just a precaution since one user had to install the Intel GPU drivers despite having installed the 64-bit VC++ 2010 package before it worked.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2738905/#Comment_2738905
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/266859/new-laptop-eso-32-crashes-at-login-64-application-error-0xc000007b-solved
    Edited by Idinuse on January 24, 2018 3:45AM
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • courier
    courier
    ✭✭✭
    Rebooting and repairing works for me, my wifes pc has the same issue with every update/patch.
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    courier wrote: »
    Rebooting and repairing works for me, my wifes pc has the same issue with every update/patch.

Yes, the 64-bit VC++ is as far as I know a part of the installer now and should also be included in repair if anything isn't ok with it, I believe. The needed .NET files too, I think, as SirAndy suggests.
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • StellarWolf
    StellarWolf
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for all the info. After many hours of crying trying to solve the issue I finally identified VC++ as the problem source. I used dependency walker to identify msvcp140.dll as the root of all evil. So I removed the VC++ 2015 redistros yet another time. I had the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 RC installed, which microsoft describes as "the latest in a cumulative series of feature additions and bug fixes". But it is not. That package is version 14.0.24123, while there is another package that has no such description but is version 14.0.24215. Getting this version fixed the problem for me. Thanks for the great product description and the mess of versions, Microsoft.

And everyone, thanks for the help. I hope my technical details will help others with such a problem.