The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Can you please consider not giveing males lipstick in their Crown Crates

elijafire
elijafire
✭✭✭
Those of us Males who do not want some of the offerings you force us to get in the crown crates. Including but not limited to Dresses, Lipstick and some hair styles.

Please make it so that Gender specific items are an optional check box or are redeemable for crowns.

Thank You,

Eli
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    elijafire wrote: »
    Those of us Males who do not want some of the offerings you force us to get in the crown crates. Including but not limited to Dresses, Lipstick and some hair styles.

Please make it so that Gender specific items are an optional check box or are redeemable for crowns.

Thank You,

Eli

There's no such thing as a gender specific item. Lipstick can go on any character you want it to. Even for those beholden to societal gender norms, some will be opening crates on a toon of one gender, and use the items on another. There should be no restrictions, random is random.

Like all other crate items,if you don't want to use something, don't.

Edit to add: I stand corrected, eyelashes are gender specific. They shouldn't be, but they are.
    Edited by Reverb on January 6, 2018 7:15PM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • OlafdieWaldfee
    OlafdieWaldfee
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »

Thank You,

Eli

There's no such thing as a gender specific item. Lipstick can go on any character you want it to. Even for those beholden to societal gender norms, some will be opening crates on a toon of one gender, and use the items on another. There should be no restrictions, random 's random.

THIS. I'm only playing male toons, got a dress once that is since then rotting in my collection but I don't care.
    I'd rather have a collection full of dresses, lipstick and highheels than letting some narrow-minded person tell me what's "gender appropriate". Or marking certain items as "gender specific" ... No thought-police, please. Freedom of choice is great.
  • elijafire
    elijafire
    ✭✭✭

Thank You,

Eli

There's no such thing as a gender specific item. Lipstick can go on any character you want it to. Even for those beholden to societal gender norms, some will be opening crates on a toon of one gender, and use the items on another. There should be no restrictions, random is random.

Edit to add: I stand corrected, eyelashes are gender specific. They shouldn't be, but they are.

Fanciful thought but Lipstick was specifically made for and worn by women to attract men, it has nothing to do with "societal gender norms" whatever that means.

I want an option to not be insulted by giving me " a male " and my male toons something meant for women. I'm not asking they take away anything from you so please stop being so bigoted and offensive.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crates will never implement a "smart loot" system as that will be a viewed as a manipulation of a core mechanic. To maintain fairness, all items in a tier need to have the exact same chance of dropping regardless of the character the crate is opened on.
    signing off
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acrolas wrote: »
    Crates will never implement a "smart loot" system as that will be a viewed as a manipulation of a core mechanic. To maintain fairness, all items in a tier need to have the exact same chance of dropping regardless of the character the crate is opened on.

This.

In simpler terms crates rely on most people getting stuff they don't really want the majority of the time. Whether that's something you don't consider appropriate for your character, or something you simply don't like. If there were ways to remove those items from the loot table you'd be changing the odds in your favour, making it more likely you'll get the things you do want. And that goes badly for ZOS because it means you spend less money on crates.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • mikecrci
    mikecrci
    ✭✭✭
    Can you please not consider crown crates at all?

Thanks.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Fanciful thought but Lipstick was specifically made for and worn by women to attract men, it has nothing to do with "societal gender norms" whatever that means.

Depends on what society you are citing.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank You,

Eli

Oh dear. In this day and age this kinda thread won't end well.

Monty Python sketch in the Life of Brian sums it up....
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Can you still get argonian/khajiit exclusive stuff on human characters from crown crates?

Also, beware. There're inevitably men coming to tell you they have full right to wear lipstick and you have no right to tell them otherwise ;)
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Idk, I kinda like my male necromancer in the black lipstick and eyeshadow. In ESO, they do that.

As for

Thank You,

Eli

I want an option to not be insulted by giving me " a male " and my male toons something meant for women. I'm not asking they take away anything from you so please stop being so bigoted and offensive.

Uhh...sorry you're insulted that men can wear lipstick I guess? If I say I'm insulted by anything less than an apex mount, should that mean that I get it? I'd hope we can all agree not.

Bigoted and offensive btw would be reserved to a modern Earth history view of a product when discussing a fantasy setting, where said product is not used in the same way. That's not even touching ancient civs (I don't know enough about Earth cosmetic history, but I do know for fact male presidents in the US going for office wear makeup and foundation to look more visually appealing. Want a specific one? JFK).
    Edited by DocFrost72 on January 6, 2018 11:30PM
  • Sgtmeg
    Sgtmeg
    ✭✭✭
    Aside from the fact that my exceptionally manly Orc is very fond of his dress collection, you're kind of forgetting a pretty big issue. Male players play female characters and female players play male characters. I don't think I've ever met a singe person who plays video games and has their entire character roster only one sex or the other. So how exactly are they going to implement this? You have to log into a female toon to loot lipsticks? Male players don't have access at all and their female characters will just have to go without? Umm...

Also as a brief history lesson, makeup's oldest (current) origins are in Egypt where both men and women wore it, which you'll find is very common in affluent societies in nearly every era.
    Edited by Sgtmeg on January 6, 2018 11:33PM
  • Greevir
    Greevir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm... My troll senses are tingling.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Sgtmeg
    Sgtmeg
    ✭✭✭
    Greevir wrote: »
    Hmm... My troll senses are tingling.

***, I'd skimmed over the "bigoted and offensive" comment. Now I just feel silly. Curse parodies and people being too similar...
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people have both male and female characters, so they'd find a use for it.
    But I agree that it would be great if we could delete stuff we hate from our collections folder, or even better, trade it for gems even if we don't already have it.
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I have little use for all the lipstick clogging up my collections. I have a -few- female characters, but the bright shades look far too tacky. The dark shades look far too emo. Unless you’re going for Katy Perry or a necromancer edge-lord, it’s best to avoid them.
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lipstick is only just for women in Judeo-Christian societies. It was invented and used by both men and women thousands of years prior to that. Tamriel is not Judeo-Christian so no need for the worry. If you're going to complain about them base it on how tacky they look.
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You people are so eager to lecture others on ''gender roles'' you forgot to read what OP said;

Optional checkbox or redeemable for crowns
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be happy if lipstick were not parts of crates lol, i have no use for them
  • Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    M_Volsung wrote: »
    RouDantes wrote: »
    Dear ESO, please cater to and protect my fragile masculinity. My manliness is threatened by the possibility of putting virtual lipstick on my video game doll... I mean character.

Thank You,

Eli

It's really gonna blow this guy's mind when he learns that high heels were originally only for men, makeup was originally for everyone, pink was originally a masculine boy's color and blue was considered a feminine girl's color, and for most of history, baby boys wore dresses until they could walk. Our current ideas of what men and woman are "supposed" to wear are barely 100 years old.

Also, fedoras were originally meant to be a woman's hat.

I'm afraid you don't know what your talking about. As to the rest, I haven't found a use for the lipstick on any of my toons.
    Edited by Belegnole on January 7, 2018 6:54AM
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no such thing as a gender specific item. Lipstick can go on any character you want it to. Even for those beholden to societal gender norms, some will be opening crates on a toon of one gender, and use the items on another.

It's rude of you to attribute this to a personal failing on the part of the OP.

I have a roster of male characters. Only. Not a single female one. Dresses, lipstick etc. have absolutely no value to me and there's more than a few of them. I don't pay for crates but I got one of those fancy dresses from a freebie. It's completely wasted on me.

It being a freebie I can't complain but if I were paying for them I might feel otherwise. Yes crates are necessarily often going to give stuff you might not love, but items like these are a kick in the teeth - because you won the rng and got to dip into the good loot table, but gendered items like these are things which many players will definitely never use.

Just in case you're thinking about insulting me too, I'm gay. But I'm not into wearing dresses. I'm not bothered in the slightest by other guys wearing them. I enjoy watching RuPaul's Drag Race. It's hilarious and good natured. But wearing dresses is not for me and anyone who wants to try to make me feel bad about that is a nasty piece of work.
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh here we go.

How about ZoS just sells make-up directly for crowns? I had to buy crates just so I could get enough gems to buy a lipstick. Borderline ridiculous in my view.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • platonicidealgirlfriend
    does this mean i can get a refund on all the beards my girls aren't even allowed to wear? otoh i'll settle for zos removing the gender restrictions on it
  • Radiance
    Radiance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a more appropriate solution would be to make all cash items interchangeable so that if a Male is wearing it, it is fitted to their body, and the same for females. Basically 2 different versions of the same outfit... although, some men want to wear dresses and should be able if they want to, so idk how that would work out... Girls have the same problem with male-designated armor being really bulky and the Female wardrobe being very skimpy... You know crates are unisex and have no way of choosing which prize you will get unless you use Gems... So either don't buy them or buy enough to get what you want... I have a sneaking suspicion they will eventually open Crate Showcases to selective purchase but that could just be a personal desire.
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, the "ick" factor appeared when the OP said he was "insulted' by receiving "something meant for women." Insulted.
    PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • Orticia
    Orticia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Getting a lipstick you don't want to use is no different from me getting (and I did) that gimp mask (rebreather?) I won't ever use, because ick (in my opinion). We will both have an unwanted item rotting in our collection-tab. And appropriate or not is a personal, not general view, being insulted by it also very much so.. I for instance would not be insulted if I get a beard cosmetic and that's as gender specific as you can get, heck female characters can't even use it.

That said I am female and have female characters and I do not want the lipsticks either. So I am all for optional checkbox or redeemable for crowns/gems obviously. But not just for lipsticks but for whole categories of things I might not want... like tattoos as I can't show them off well anyway. Hmmmmm I can see why this will never happen.... the crown crates will get a way better drop rate of wanted items that way... don't think ZoS would be a fan of that.
    Edited by Orticia on January 7, 2018 3:37PM
  • Pwoo
    Pwoo
    ✭✭✭
    I wish we could just turn collectibles we don't want into gems - At least 5 gems even if it's an ugly face tattoo worth 40 gems... that's the amount you get for duplicates anyway so it wouldn't harm the greedy crate economy too much.
    PC EU - @Pwooo in game - chronic crafting writ doer
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Thank You,

Eli

I want an option to not be insulted by getting Argonian horns, jawblades, and argonian feather hair when I have no Argonian characters male or female.

I'm not asking they take anything away from your all male line-up that seems to be traumatized by acquiring "female" items, so no need to be offended. Even though dremora and daedra can appear however they wish, and don't really have a gender, so "Dremora's Kiss lip tint"of any color could be used by any human/mer/beastfolk, so whatever.

Besides the opinion I have that purchasing outright specific items a player might want to buy from the store is infinitely superior to ostensibly buying pointless potions/food/consumables and outfits that are instantly bound forever to your account for a chance at getting a super special mount or item, one of the largest objections I have to the crown crates is that you *do* end up getting items you don't want and wouldn't have purchased instantly bound to your account.

Consider giving in-game feedback, or an email to one of the @ZOS names about your issues with the crown crates. Although it would suck to get items you don't want and won't use stuck in your collectibles, it is an rng chance with the crown crates. I doubt they'll change the odds to favor any gender restricted item for players who don't use that species or gender in their
    account.

By the way, if they do restrict items that way, there will be more complaint threads. People posted before about having their male characters able to use the dresses...

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ankael07 wrote: »
    You people are so eager to lecture others on ''gender roles'' you forgot to read what OP said;

Optional checkbox or redeemable for crowns

We ignored that because we all know ZOS is never going to do that. I'd like a optimal checkbox or redeemable for crowns option on non-combat pets I'm never going to use, but that's not how Crown Crates work. (Yes, I got a Bal Foyen nix-hound who's never leaving my Collections tab, the stupid creature.)

If you don't want a high chance of getting junk that you'll never ever use in your Crown Crate, you should try petitioning ZOS to sell this stuff directly in the Crown Store instead. That way you can safely ignore all the cosmetic options you don't like and still have access to everything else. The whole premise of Crown Crates is that you gamble and get a high percentage of useless stuff you'll never use and you're stuck with it unless you happen to get a duplicate.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't want lipstick on my female characters either...so if you ask me, just take it out of crowncrates completely.

Sidenote: It's hilarious how everything gets turned some stupid gender-role discussion nowadays.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, the "ick" factor appeared when the OP said he was "insulted' by receiving "something meant for women." Insulted.

I remember feeling insulted when my father bought me a tracksuit meant for boys, just because he'd wanted a boy and rather than a girl. Mainly because I'd received something that didn't match my "identity", and that, I suspect is how OP feels. He's receiving something he doesn't identify with. That's not a crime, unless we're truly now in thought-feeling crime territory.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~