Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Recommendations for a game controller for PC?

tinythinker
tinythinker
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Is there any particular specification I should look for in terms of support for a game like ESO?
Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
(And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used a Xbox elite controller as it’s what I already had, and you kinda need it for eso and I just plug and played with it. Worked great. I use kB Mouse now though

@tinythinker
    Edited by magictucktuck on January 5, 2018 3:54PM
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have and use this one, it works perfectly out of the box on Windows (with ESO and other games):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Xbox-Common-Controller-Windows/dp/B004JU0JSK
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »
    I have and use this one, it works perfectly out of the box on Windows (with ESO and other games):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Xbox-Common-Controller-Windows/dp/B004JU0JSK

^^This is what I use. Works really well after remapping the D-pad.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • UnseenCat
    UnseenCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Count me in for another XBox controller user; I use an XBox One Elite controller too. I carry it between my PC and the XBox.

XBox 360 and XBox One controllers are very popular and reliable for PC games that support controllers -- largely because Microsoft standardized the XInput API which makes them easy for game developers to handle as a predictable controller type -- plug it in with a USB cable and it should just work.

Some people like the wireless adapter dongle to connect XBox controllers to the PC... my daughter uses one sometimes. I prefer hard-wired USB peripherals on the PC, myself.
  • hoggson
    hoggson
    Soul Shriven
    I use a wireless Xbox One controller, can't beat it. :)
    SSDD
  • Jarryzzt
    Jarryzzt
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think any Xbox should definitely work (on a Windows PC). I myself have been using an old and beat-up Xbox 360 wired controller - that I've manually taken out the vibration motors out of (!) - and it works like a charm. [Also, I suspect the old X360 controllers are slightly larger than the subsequent generations, which may make a better fit for some hands.]
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    So....in 2020, almost 2021, any new recommendations?

• moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use wired xbox controller (the newest model). The default layout is so messed up with ESO it puts me at serious disadvantage.

Neither LT nor LB can be used for active combat abilities since L stick always needs to be touched (unless you don't move). Had to map weapon swapping to R-stick press, crouch to D-pad, and unassign useless functions such as Emote and cycling quest, to avoid mis-pressing (could easily result in death!) - basically the layout needs to be Left-hand for movement only and Right-hand for all actions.

L-stick press to sprint sideway or backward fails to work most of time, especially in combat when you need it most. Dodge can only be expected to work backward reliably - another awful design (3 buttons to dodge sideway!).

Another issue is lockpicking - L stick movement is too slow which wastes time, and RT release always delays due to hardware and make it difficult to react instantly.

There aren't enough buttons for combat, let alone addon hotkeys.

I'll try Scuf Prestige with +4 buttons or Razer Wolverine Ultimate with +6 buttons later - both of them have 4 buttons on the back, which might be usable. Razer Wolverine Ultimate also seems to use keyboard like buttons, not the slow reacting controller kind.

• fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use Dualshock 4 on Mac, USB tethered, works well with or without Steam.
    On PC the best choice for me has been the old Xbox controller with USB wire. Dualshock can work through Steam, but not without.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy necro! I still use a wired ds4 with the ds4windows program, works nicely. Xbox elite has extra paddles, but I can't use it because it's too bulky and the joysticks don't line up, but I heard from guildmate's that it's good. Ideally, I would like to have a controller like the ps4 but with some extra buttons, because for certain things you do need to take your fingers off movement, or use a clanky double button combo.
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    Ideally, I would like to have a controller like the ps4 but with some extra buttons, because for certain things you do need to take your fingers off movement, or use a clanky double button combo.

Does PS controller allow extra buttons to be shown in game instead of remapping other buttons?

I found those extra buttons in any controller using xbox protocol/driver don't really offer anything at all, because the numbers of buttons reported to ESO would still be the same (without those extra). It's a scam... I'm getting a xbox chatpad to serve as wireless kb for real shortcuts.
  • AlphaWu1f
    AlphaWu1f
    Soul Shriven
    I use a DualShock 4 through Steam, with Bluetooth and it’s been great! No issues with lagging or missed button presses being wireless. Like one of the posts above I remapped some buttons to make things easier, can’t remember which exactly (moved Jump from Interact button, removed Quest Cycling) but only a few were needed to make things fluid. If you’re a controller fan definitely worth it!
  • AlphaWu1f
    AlphaWu1f
    Soul Shriven
    @moo_2021 I use a Battle Beaver Customs DS4 with four buttons on the back. The extra buttons don’t add new FUNCTIONS as you first expected, they offer you the ability to press face buttons/d-pad/whatever you decide on those rear buttons with middle or ring fingers without hindering your movement. For someone who prefers controller it’s 100% worth it. If you’re 50/50 with controller/mkb it may not be worth it to you.

Also why are your LT/LB not useable? They’re Block & one of your Abilities respectively (unless you changed them) and I can’t imagine your pointer finger on the sticks for movement.
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlphaWu1f wrote: »
    Also why are your LT/LB not useable? They’re Block & one of your Abilities respectively (unless you changed them) and I can’t imagine your pointer finger on the sticks for movement.

Because when I'm moving with thumb on L-stick I can't efficiently use other fingers on LT or LB. It feels awkward...
  • AlphaWu1f
    AlphaWu1f
    Soul Shriven
    moo_2021 wrote: »

Because when I'm moving with thumb on L-stick I can't efficiently use other fingers on LT or LB. It feels awkward...

Usually when I hold a controller it’s cradled by the high part of my palm just below my finger joints, so my thumbs/pointer fingers more or less float lightly on the sticks/triggers and aren’t the main stabilizer of the controller. My middle/ring fingers use buttons on the back but are barely supporting the controller itself, that stability comes from the palms. That’s what works for me, I used to hold a controller way too tight and that made things difficult/a bit painful after long hours but gripping with my palm versus fingers helped a lot for me.