Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Stamina Warden or Stamina Templar for Solo & Group PvE?

Hellcleave
Greetings all,

What would be a good first class to start for mostly solo & group PvE?

Which class has better solo capabilities and is welcomed in group content?

I'm interested in getting some feedback on both classes from experienced players, before I take the lunge and start the long grind.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Best Answers

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a stamina templar, but a Stamina Warden will make for an excellent tank. The stamina heals that a Warden can use for themself and their group make them an effective tank and off-healer. So especially if you wan to run content where an off-healer is necessary or with 3 DDs/1 tank, a stamina warden will do very well.

My stam warden DPS is mostly designed for PVP, but has been doing very well at solo overland PVE since being able to hit like a truck in PVP translates pretty well to killing enemies fast in overland PVE. However, I've never tried to practice a rotation with her for PVE group dungeons, so I have no experience there.
    Answer ✓
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive played both plenty solo,tank and dps

If i have to chose or recommend one it is warden.

Great in pvp. Just great.

Super fun playstyle for solo pve. Great burst and mobility, utility skills for resistances and sustain. stamina and ultimate heals are outstanding if necessary.

Tanking group content snd trials is good with good group utilities, heals, resistances and sustain.

For dps in trials i have lazily done 35k dps on some bosses in very sub optimal gear. So plenty viable for group content and trials as a dps aswel. Wont perform like stam sorc or stam dk in pure damage output but that is expected.

Strongly recommend warden.
    Answer ✓
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamina Warden is quite strong solo since it has access to very good heals early on: Soothing Spores as burst heal, and Green Lotus as heals from heavy attacks. Green Lotus provides major savagery and Bull Netch provides major brutality and a lot of stamina recovery and one your DPS skills, Subterranean Assault, also gives Major Breach and Fracture, which are strong debuffs. So you have all major buffs, debuffs, heals and sustain build into your class kit. Wardens make for good tanks due to the Winter's Embrace skill line.

Stamina Templar is quite weak unless running with a well organized group: it has no heals or sustain besides Repentance which is OK only if you have a lot of bodies to repent - if going against a single boss with no adds it doesn't help you. From class skills you can only gain Major Savagery (Biting Jabs) and Minor Fracture and Breach (Power of the Light) and have to rely on either potions or other skills for Major Brutality. Because of this I would recommend going 2H early on, at least until you unlock Vigor in Cyrodiil, since it provides both Major Brutality and a burst heal trough Rally skill. Also Brawler is quite good, since it provides a shield that allows you to channel Biting Jabs without taking much damage. Potions are only worth using when doing end game group content, namely trials due to their cost, which is not high overall but can be a burden for a new player. Templar has some passives that may help tanking, but it's actually one of the worst classes to tank on, together with NB, due to the lack of CCs and very poor stamina sustain: DK has Ingenous Shield spam, Warden has Bull Netch, Sorcerer has Dark Deal.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
    Answer ✓
  • Hellcleave
    I'd also like to add that I'm interested in maybe tanking along the way, so which one would make a better or easier tank?
  • Hellcleave
    I don't have a stamina templar, but a Stamina Warden will make for an excellent tank. The stamina heals that a Warden can use for themself and their group make them an effective tank and off-healer. So especially if you wan to run content where an off-healer is necessary or with 3 DDs/1 tank, a stamina warden will do very well.

My stam warden DPS is mostly designed for PVP, but has been doing very well at solo overland PVE since being able to hit like a truck in PVP translates pretty well to killing enemies fast in overland PVE. However, I've never tried to practice a rotation with her for PVE group dungeons, so I have no experience there.

Sweet, thanks for taking the time to respond, much appreciated!

• Hellcleave
    Thanks heaps for the info, from what I'm reading Warden might sound like the class for me.

Failing this, I might try a StamSorc as ive read some good things about them being solo class.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hellcleave wrote: »
    Thanks heaps for the info, from what I'm reading Warden might sound like the class for me.

Failing this, I might try a StamSorc as ive read some good things about them being solo class.

Stamina Sorcerer comes close to Warden in terms of sustain due to having access to Major Brutality and a very strong heal packed into the same skill - Critical Surge, and Major Ward and Protection and a very strong AoE also packed into a single skill - Hurricane. Dark Deal fills both stamina and health from the magicka pool but it has a pretty long channel time so it should be used carefully. Sorcerers can make for good tanks if played properly, since they do have a CC - Restraining Prison. They don't have a pull skill like Unrelenting Grip (DK) or Frozen Device (Warden) so Swarm Mother set would come in handy.

However Sorcerers lack stamina morphs for most class skills, bar Hurricane, so they must use weapon skills for the rest. Also they lack access to any kind of resistance debuff and Major Savagery - you must slot Camouflaged Hunter on your bar unless using potions. To compensate for the lack of penetration outside a well organized group you can use sets like Night Mother's Gaze (crafted), Spriggan (overland in Bangkorai) or Twice-Fanged Serpent (Sanctum Ophidia); the former is most effective when used by a sorcerer in groups too, due to the fact that the large radius of Hurricane allows them to apply the debuff to multiple enemies.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |