The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

"Pyromancer" Magicka DK PvP Build (Destro/Resto)

DDuke
DDuke
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Hey all, got lots of requests for this, so here's a build video for my Magicka DK:

https://youtu.be/9VSyjL80fQk

Sorry for the terribly unoriginal name :D
  • Destro/Resto
  • 5/1/1 Light Armor
  • High Dmg, no permablocking.
  • Works in: 1v1, 1vX, Grp vs Grp, Cyrodiil, Duels, BGs

Intro: 00:00
Gear: 00:36
Food/Potions: 2:03
Mundus: 02:14
Skills (Destro): 02:17
Skills (Resto): 05:13
Stats: 08:20
Champion Points: 08:27
Which Race?: 08:43

Post here if you've got any feedback/questions regarding the build.

Enjoy :)
Edited by DDuke on January 3, 2018 6:34PM
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We may all be running this build next update huh
    PC EU
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice build. Two questions...how do you deal with snares? Also, in the vid you said that life giver grants mutagen, but the tool tip says regeneration. Does it use your currently selected morph of that skill?
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nice build. Two questions...how do you deal with snares? Also, in the vid you said that life giver grants mutagen, but the tool tip says regeneration. Does it use your currently selected morph of that skill?

Empowering Chains help a lot with snares/roots (if someone is trying to kite you).

This build doesn't really escape (or tank) zergs though, if that's what you mean. You're better off just avoiding them, or trying to stay on the outskirts of a zerg (preferably with LoS walls/trees nearby) & picking off stragglers.

And yes, Life Giver uses the morphs you've chosen for the skills it casts.
    Edited by DDuke on January 3, 2018 7:28PM
  • killingspreeb16_ESO
    killingspreeb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »

Empowering Chains help a lot with snares/roots (if someone is trying to kite you).

This build doesn't really escape (or tank) zergs though, if that's what you mean. You're better off just avoiding them, or trying to stay on the outskirts of a zerg (preferably with LoS walls/trees nearby) & picking off stragglers.

And yes, Life Giver uses the morphs you've chosen for the skills it casts.

I didn't know that either, would love tooltips to specify that
    Edited by Waffennacht on January 4, 2018 12:27AM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh you don't show but just talk about gear at :36? I can't listen.

Whatcha running?
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like how you explained why you chose mara @DDuke. A lot of people don't think that far into it
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting build! Reminds me of the sun/riposte/skoria 2h/resto that seems to be very common at the duel spot.

How would you sustain your stam in an average open world scenario, or in a duel against a root spamming magblade/magdk though? Solely relying on helping hands?
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Whatcha running?

5x BSW (destro bar) 5x Mara (resto bar) 2x Skoria
    Subversus wrote: »
    Interesting build! Reminds me of the sun/riposte/skoria 2h/resto that seems to be very common at the duel spot.

How would you sustain your stam in an average open world scenario, or in a duel against a root spamming magblade/magdk though? Solely relying on helping hands?

Mainly just Immovable Potions+Helping Hands and by not blocking/dodging unless absolutely necessary.

In a duel scenario, if you're fighting another mag DK who is spamming roots at you, you're exactly where you want to be: in melee range. You can turn your character either by heavy attacking or by casting Empowering Chains/Fossilize (both skills turn your character to face the opponent) & then just proceeding as usual.
    There's really no need to ever dodge roll out of those roots, though you can if you know you'll have more stamina than you need (i.e. after using immovable potion at 100% stamina).

Against a magicka NB you can either run scales on your resto bar (which makes those fights easymode), or just use Empowering Chains to prevent kiting.
    Edited by DDuke on January 4, 2018 1:29AM
  • Toast_STS
    Toast_STS
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cool build. I'd love a burning spellweave flame staff but I gave up farming when I got my 3rd ice staff after like 60 runs. =(
    VR14 DK Leaps-in-keeps
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toast_STS wrote: »
    Cool build. I'd love a burning spellweave flame staff but I gave up farming when I got my 3rd ice staff after like 60 runs. =(

So much this
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I guess I'll give a little shoutout to a fellow youtuber @Blobsky who has this awesome guide :P

https://youtu.be/rHNiHQ5tLjw

I farmed the set solo in about an hour or so, it's really easy just running to the chests & if you need jewelry, the banekin boss drops unique rings fairly consistently.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I guess I'll give a little shoutout to a fellow youtuber @Blobsky who has this awesome guide :P

I farmed the set solo in about an hour or so, it's really easy just running to the chests & if you need jewelry, the banekin boss drops unique rings fairly consistently.

Got literally every single drop possible but the inferno staff
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Blobsky
    Blobsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatcha running?

Mainly just Immovable Potions+Helping Hands and by not blocking/dodging unless absolutely necessary.

In a duel scenario, if you're fighting another mag DK who is spamming roots at you, you're exactly where you want to be: in melee range. You can turn your character either by heavy attacking or by casting Empowering Chains/Fossilize (both skills turn your character to face the opponent) & then just proceeding as usual.
    There's really no need to ever dodge roll out of those roots, though you can if you know you'll have more stamina than you need (i.e. after using immovable potion at 100% stamina).

Against a magicka NB you can either run scales on your resto bar (which makes those fights easymode), or just use Empowering Chains to prevent kiting.

Toms top tip... simply let go of movement keys whilst turning your camera to the oponent and you already turn whilst rooted... So handy and so few know it
    Yt Channell: Blobsky

DC EU Nightblade
    Owner of 'The Travelling Merchant' - Craglorn trade guild since near release!
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭

Got literally every single drop possible but the inferno staff

lol got last week in a random normal coa 1 a charged bsw destro... god i didnt sell it since i considered its almost usdeless atm

but i know this also.. i farmed like crazzy in homestead the lich healstaff for my sorc... never got em... also some weeks ago during new life festival in a random normal coh 2 i got one... also didnt sell it for maybe future purposes
    Edited by Trashs1 on January 4, 2018 7:31AM
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love those buildvideos where there´s gameplay in the background while explaining the build. Makes it so much more enjoyable to watch :)
    Edited by Qbiken on January 4, 2018 8:29AM
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    got my awesome. I do prefer my mDk with Sword and board as I love the ''fire knight'' theme to it.
    But yours looks so much more original than that.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on January 4, 2018 8:37AM
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    just for info, im at work and yt is blocked....

is this compaired to the standard snb permablockers a vaible build or just a fun to play niche build?
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatcha running?

I was thinking more about not having to sit in the root actually, you do take more damage when rooted don't you? And as a stage 3 vamp on light armor all that's needed is 10% more damage Kappa
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DDuke

Is there any substitute for empowering chains? (I usually chain in vMoL and I´m to lazy to respect everytime I go to PvP). I realise I´ll sacrifice a lot of mobility if swapping out chains, but still :)?
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trashs1 wrote: »

is this compaired to the standard snb permablockers a vaible build or just a fun to play niche build?

Oh, it's definitely viable. You've just gotta play it differently than permablock builds - if you try to hold block & tank zergs it's not going to end well :P

This build plays very much like a stamblade in PvP actually - with the difference that this build actually survives when there's undodgeable damage/gap closers around.

Whatcha running?

I was thinking more about not having to sit in the root actually, you do take more damage when rooted don't you? And as a stage 3 vamp on light armor all that's needed is 10% more damage Kappa

Hmm... you only take more damage from DW attacks while rooted as far as I know (Ruffian passive) and whatever extra Power Lash procs you allow your opponent to get, but those have cooldown and are bound to happen anyway if your opponent is competent.

I mean, you can roll out of most roots in duels (stamina is not an issue there), but I don't see why you'd have to.
    Edited by DDuke on January 4, 2018 12:20PM
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    @DDuke

Is there any substitute for empowering chains? (I usually chain in vMoL and I´m to lazy to respect everytime I go to PvP). I realise I´ll sacrifice a lot of mobility if swapping out chains, but still :)?

Not really :/

Maybe you can run Elusive Mist there for the mobility, but it's not the same thing tbh.
    Edited by DDuke on January 4, 2018 12:21PM
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭

Oh, it's definitely viable. You've just gotta play it differently than permablock builds - if you try to hold block & tank zergs it's not going to end well :P

This build plays very much like a stamblade in PvP actually - with the difference that this build actually survives when there's undodgeable damage/gap closers around.

now u got me on your fishing rod, since stamblade is one of my favorite play styles^^ ill watch that vid for sure at home.

i have a abandoned dunmer dk on my acc since i didnt like the unmobile perma blocking play style much and as i sayd i found a bsw destro resently

you are also on the eu server, maybe pc aswell?
    Edited by Trashs1 on January 4, 2018 12:51PM
  • flacidstone
    flacidstone
    ✭✭✭
    i main a stamblade, tried this on Sunday and it actually is pretty similar. Kill or be killed. Loving it so far, thanks dduke. Still need to grind my bsw staff :'(
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

now u got me on your fishing rod, since stamblade is one of my favorite play styles^^ ill watch that vid for sure at home.

i have a abandoned dunmer dk on my acc since i didnt like the unmobile perma blocking play style much and as i sayd i found a bsw destro resently

you are also on the eu server, maybe pc aswell?

Yeah, I play on PC EU.
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    watched it and i like it! looks really fun.

i dont have access to eye of the mara.. is a wizards riposte a good replacement? if not i have to get someone to craft it for me^^

also how high is your healing ward shield?
    Edited by Trashs1 on January 4, 2018 4:01PM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! I assume Mara reduces resto ulti cost? (No audio while at work). Nice little "defense" set with mix mag stats that match classes with huge healing passives.

I'd imagine life giver+Mara to be a staple for next few months (if one can farm a good combat set).
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • WhoThenNow7
    WhoThenNow7
    ✭✭✭
    Are you a vampire? Sorry if this has been answered already.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i dont have access to eye of the mara.. is a wizards riposte a good replacement? if not i have to get someone to craft it for me^^

I think the set is reducing the cost of resto spells which in turn increase the uptime on defensive spells which in turn add to your defense.

I think the sets are different defensive mechanics. One is intuitive (Mara) requiring you to basically know when to drop your ultimate+healing Ward's while the other is more passive (reposte) letting you go on the offensive by backbaring the last set piece. Also Mara might not be zerg fight friendly given healing/shields do terrible against more than 3-4 players at once whereas reposte reduces the DMG of everyone can scores a crit hit on you with no cap.

Two different playstyle sets.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Well, you'll probably run to some sustain issues if you try to replace Mara with Wizard's. The cost reduction on healing ward is massive. You could work around that by getting 1-2x mag regen glyphs, but damage will suffer.

Healing Ward strength varies a lot, but it's around 4k shield+1,6-2k'ish heal in PvP at 100% health. You usually cast it at lower health though, I'm getting around 10-12k shield at 40-50% health+the 1,6-2k heal.
    Minno wrote: »
    Nice! I assume Mara reduces resto ulti cost? (No audio while at work). Nice little "defense" set with mix mag stats that match classes with huge healing passives.

I'd imagine life giver+Mara to be a staple for next few months (if one can farm a good combat set).

Yeah, Mara reduces it to 110 & reduces the cost of Healing Ward by 550 (got this wrong on the video, it's 550 not 502 :s ).
    Are you a vampire? Sorry if this has been answered already.

Yes, stage 3.