Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Good dropped sets for tanks

VonNelson
VonNelson
✭✭✭
What is general opinion on the best dropped sets for tanks? Overland or dungeons. Either is good.
  • Amadis001
    Amadis001
    ✭✭✭✭
    VonNelson wrote: »
    What is general opinion on the best dropped sets for tanks? Overland or dungeons. Either is good.

The basic sets for any new tank are Hist Bark (heavy, sturdy), which is craftable, and Werewolf Hide, which drops in Glenumbra. The WW set gives you ultimate generation on the 5-piece perk. A nice drop set to replace your Hist Bark when you can, is Ebon Armory, which drops in the Crypt of Hearts dungeon (both I and II versions). It improves the healing you get and gives your team a health buff. Again, most people prefer sturdy trait on their Ebon, because it makes it easier to block.

Many (most) tanks also run the Bloodspawn 2-piece monster set for even more ultimate generation, the helm for which drops (guaranteed) from the final boss of vet Spindleclutch 2 (which is sort of a medium-difficulty vet dungeon. Once you're up and running as a tank, if you get lucky with two good DPS and a healer in the group finder, you should be able to complete.)

Alternative drop sets include Roar of Alkosh, which drops from the Maw of Lorkahj trial and debuffs your enemies, and Plague Doctor, which drops in Deshaan and buffs your health.

You can check out Youtube videos by Alcast who has info on some of the most popular tank builds.

When you put your gear together, don't forget Shield Play glyphs on your jewelry and defending/decisive traits on your weapons.
    // Amadis of Gaul -- DK Nord (Lvl 50 CP 1000)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run a Health Tank, so I use Plague Doctor. Hist Bark is my craftable set, and I have not found a better alternative to use. Sure, everyone says Ebon, but I don't see the trade off in Attributes and Stats on my tank being better than giving DPS's another 1000 Health. They just need to stay out of the Red.

My Monster Set is Bloodspawn for the Ultimate Gen. The Chudan set that drops in Mazzutan does have some awesome Tank Stats so you can chase other stats rather than resistance on the other gear sets.

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Mighty+Chudan+Set
    Edited by Nestor on January 2, 2018 9:52PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• VonNelson
    VonNelson
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Amadis001 I’ve just got my first tank to 50 so looking for decent sets now.
  • X3ina
    X3ina
    ✭✭✭
    Selfish sets: bloodspawn, plague doctor.
    Group buff sets: alkosh, ebon, powerful assault, war machine, lord warden.

Torug's pact is nice to have aswell.
    Mighty chudan will free up 1 slot on your bar so you can guard someone.

Weapons MUST be infused with crusher enchant.
    SW GoH > ESO
  • VonNelson
    VonNelson
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting @X3ina you are first to mention torugs. When paired with crusher and infused is it really worth slotting over some of these other sets?
  • X3ina
    X3ina
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. It is very strong atm. You can get ridiculously high uptime with it
    SW GoH > ESO
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebon is good for really difficult content, like trials and Hist/Horns DLC vet dungeons, where the 1k health can often make the difference between an alive DD and a dead DD.

Otherwise, it's not really necessary, and combinations like Nestor mentioned, or Torug's to make Crusher stronger, are nice options.

My suggestion would be, create two or three combos and take them into the dungeon with you, and swap them out as required. I use the addon "Dressing Room" that lets me swap between Plague Doctor+Ebon and Plague Doctor+Torugs with a simple keypress.

Edited by Loc2262 on January 3, 2018 10:32AM
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • onemoredragon
    onemoredragon
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't see anyone mentioning Akaviri Dragonguard but might have missed it (magicka regen, healing taken, health, ultimate cost reduction 15%). Very good set as well, drops in Eastmarch.
    PC EU @OneMoreDragon

Rakshasi Raijina, khajiit sorceror, adventurer and crafter
    Keel-Neesha, argonian dragonknight tank
    Asharlys, orc templar tank
    Wanheda Praimfaya, nord necromancer tank
    Alessia Whitegold, redguard templar 2h/bow DD
    Mitsuro Naztharune, khajiit dragonknight dw/bow DD
    Viannereth, bosmer warden bow/bow DD
    Moraelyn of Ra'athim, dunmer necromancer magicka DD

So long as the dragonfires shall burn, to you, and to all generations, I swear that my Hearts blood shall hold fast the Gates of Oblivion.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Torug's/Alkosh+Ebon/Plague/Alkosh. (Obviously if your choice between the first 2 is Alkosh you chose Ebon or Plague as your 2nd set.) That plus your choice of Monster set, Bloodspawn, Lord Warden, Shadowrend+Chokethorn combo or other, personal favorite is S+C combo, great for magicka sustain.

Anyway, those combos for 5p sets will give you great stuff for both Veteran Dungeons as well as End game Trials, they are common sets used by almost all end game Tanks. There are other set ups too, such as with Dragon Guard for the ulti cost and regen, but its not as common, but can be great in some situations. I personally do dungeons with a sorc tank that uses Dragon, really great for utli tank set up.