The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Robes that are NOT Glued to our legs ?

Zordrage
Zordrage
✭✭✭✭✭
Pls ? i would even pay for it........

or just put a bit of extra animation on it like what GW2 do to robes while running..... or something......anything....

the worst offender of this is the Skirt on the mannimarco Costume.... i just cant move my eyes off it when using it because its so bad x.x
Edited by Zordrage on December 31, 2017 1:00PM
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping you didn't buy the breton hero costume. They used all the glue on that thing.
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banana wrote: »
    I'm hoping you didn't buy the breton hero costume. They used all the glue on that thing.

Nope....
    but now you made me curious need to check it...

Edit:
    sooo i checked it and il hope devs learned from that.... now excuse me but i need some soap and water in my eyes...
    Edited by Zordrage on December 31, 2017 1:16PM
  • Forztr
    Forztr
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're curious as to why some things are the way they are in ESO animation-wise and can watch dry tech-based presentations then there is a youtube video on the GDC channel by one of the devs that explain how and why they did certain things. The talk was from 2015 so talks mostly about pre-launch topics.

It mentions about things such as sticky robes, tails, why capes were removed, bad hair and a bunch of other stuff.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is all about dignity. It is how they prevent Marilyn Monroe moments should we happen to walk across a Dwemer heat exhaust grating. :smiley:
    Forztr wrote: »
    If you're curious as to why some things are the way they are in ESO animation-wise and can watch dry tech-based presentations then there is a youtube video on the GDC channel by one of the devs that explain how and why they did certain things. The talk was from 2015 so talks mostly about pre-launch topics.

This is an interesting, but technical video. He does explain some stuff, but a lot of the talk contains technical terms that you have to know to understand. This guy is the person who sets up all the tools and rigging that is used by the character modelers, animators, and artists so that everything gets assembled properly and placed into the game. If you want to watch it, it is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YBJaXHFoSA

TB;DW: A lot of decisions and factors contribute to how robes work. Boiling it down to a single place to point fingers, you can start the blame with DX9 being too old for what they wanted to do with the game. This resulted in characters having only 77 deformable parts (movement within the head, hair, eyes, face, torso, fingers, hands, feet, arms, legs, weapons, tail, robe, etc). This is too low. It is why robes were assigned only 4 deformable parts. Apparently the animators did not feel that was enough so the whole point of animating the robes centers around maintaining the volume of the clothing as it moves with the legs.

It is anyone's guess as to whether ZOS will upgrade the rigging, modeling, and animations for DX12, or whether they will just call it "good enough" and leave that for the next game.

Edit: The guy in the video left the studio in 2015.
    Edited by Elsonso on December 31, 2017 3:22PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tamriel is plaeged with static cling .
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Telvanni Wizard lord robe is worse in that regard than the Mannimarco dress (although realistically speaking this behavior is weirder for the Mannimarco robe than the Telvanni robe, since it is cut open at the front.) There is so much weirdness going on with robes in this game. Your horse gets cut in half by the skirt when you ride it. It's obvious nobody at ZOS tried to cosplay a robed mage yet otherwise they would notice just how impractical (most) of their designs are. Good thing this is fantasy where you can let impracticality slide in favor of badassery ^^
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Axoinus
    Axoinus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like pants. Robes are creepy.
  • cabbageub17_ESO
    cabbageub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be happy with robe drops being convertible to the jacket version. Fine if only a max Clothier could do it.
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is all about dignity. It is how they prevent Marilyn Monroe moments should we happen to walk across a Dwemer heat exhaust grating. :smiley:

This is an interesting, but technical video. He does explain some stuff, but a lot of the talk contains technical terms that you have to know to understand. This guy is the person who sets up all the tools and rigging that is used by the character modelers, animators, and artists so that everything gets assembled properly and placed into the game. If you want to watch it, it is here:

TB;DW: A lot of decisions and factors contribute to how robes work. Boiling it down to a single place to point fingers, you can start the blame with DX9 being too old for what they wanted to do with the game. This resulted in characters having only 77 deformable parts (movement within the head, hair, eyes, face, torso, fingers, hands, feet, arms, legs, weapons, tail, robe, etc). This is too low. It is why robes were assigned only 4 deformable parts. Apparently the animators did not feel that was enough so the whole point of animating the robes centers around maintaining the volume of the clothing as it moves with the legs.

It is anyone's guess as to whether ZOS will upgrade the rigging, modeling, and animations for DX12, or whether they will just call it "good enough" and leave that for the next game.

I have a solution...Is called DX12 and im sure it was a thing 4 years ago
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a solution...Is called DX12 and im sure it was a thing 4 years ago

DX12 would have killed the game 4 years ago.
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    But the trees are pretty.
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the video, they started production in 2008. DX9 would explain a lot of the problems that may never get fixed unless they update to DX12. That will be very expensive.
    Edited by SisterGoat on January 2, 2018 4:13AM
    Jumps-In-Water - Magicka Templar
    Dar'akar - Stamina Nightblade
    Jumps-In-Lava - Magicka Dragon Knight
    PC/NA
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Ah that was a memey disappointment, chopped off the cloak, super glued the legs, made the hood look like a burkha and flattened it horribly (not unlike other old armours, but it didn't even have decent apparent parallax)
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Moltyr
    Moltyr
    ✭✭✭
    If you actually look in your pants you'll notice it's not glue. It doesn't even taste like it...
  • MajesticHaruki
    MajesticHaruki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's why I only use jerkins and costumes with visible pants. At some point I wished ZOS would add animated cloaks but if they don't bother making robes realistic, I would be asking too much.
    PC/EU @MajThorax Sorcerer and Housing Decorator prodigy
    In my spare time I collect materials and run away from mudcrabs
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Physics is hard.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it's a strange problem. For instance, plenty of the dresses look alright. I used the sand gala dress for a long time, and it was fine, and I've been wearing the Buoyant Gentility Dunmer dress, which looks almost like a robe, and that one looks perfectly fine.
    The Telvanni wizard lord robe however, is such an eyesore to wear and watch. Not only does it dye very poorly, it also has the glued on and strangely elastic lower part.

It's a weird problem that seems to target robes and half-capes only, while leaving most dresses unaffected.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Complaint threads abound from the guy who cant Google for logical answers lol
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Two words: SPANDEX ROBES
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    Well it's a strange problem. For instance, plenty of the dresses look alright. I used the sand gala dress for a long time, and it was fine, and I've been wearing the Buoyant Gentility Dunmer dress, which looks almost like a robe, and that one looks perfectly fine.
    The Telvanni wizard lord robe however, is such an eyesore to wear and watch. Not only does it dye very poorly, it also has the glued on and strangely elastic lower part.

It's a weird problem that seems to target robes and half-capes only, while leaving most dresses unaffected.

maybe the dresses are done by someone who knows what they're doing?
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO is like that time of year where every girl wears Yoga pants, a northface jacket and Ugg boots. Except all year, and on huge hairy orcs.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

oh dear.....that was my big backn forth with support for a refund.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

oh dear.....that was my big backn forth with support for a refund.

I loved when that costume came out. It was so funny to see that vs the live action money wasting video ZOS made that looked nothing like it.

00e32da836ea3ecaf43a157ded6d2403.jpg
    Breton-Hero-Male-Close-Front.jpg

It was almost as good as the "elk" mount made by someone that had never seen an elk and just stretched a deer over a horse skeleton.
    1200px-Rocky_Mountain_Bull_Elk.jpg
    dRxXtZe.jpg

• Storm_knight22
    Storm_knight22
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your robes are stuck to your leg because you keep soiling yourself. Cease and desist and that will ameliorate the issue.
    I want spell crafting.
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, but I hope ZoS can update this somehow. I dislike that my characters noble dress is also stuck to her legs.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they could update to DX10 or even DX11. The game is okay, but in 5 years it's going to be sooo outdated.
    Jumps-In-Water - Magicka Templar
    Dar'akar - Stamina Nightblade
    Jumps-In-Lava - Magicka Dragon Knight
    PC/NA
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SisterGoat wrote: »
    I think they could update to DX10 or even DX11. The game is okay, but in 5 years it's going to be sooo outdated.

The implication of that statement is that they take advantage of DX10/DX11 to fix the robes. The thing is that if they do that, they have to go back to the start and rebuild all of the rigging, characters, models, textures, and animations, and that might include some core tooling changes (3ds Max -> Maya). That is like taking your 5 year old Ford Focus and swapping parts until it is a 2018 Ford Fusion.

I honestly would be impressed if ZOS did that for this game. It would be a relaunch of the game.

Edit: They have already dropped DX9, so they are moving forward. I am just not sure they are going to rebuild the game due to it.

Edited by Elsonso on January 3, 2018 11:44AM
  • exiars10
    exiars10
    ✭✭✭
    Game is already DirectX 11 and it's default.
    I don't play ESO since 15.06. because Cyrodiil is broken since Summerset (PvE isn't much better, too)...

Aldmeri Dominion (PC Europe via Steam)

The cowardly Wood Elves are best noted for their unwillingness to engage in a face-to-face attack; a Bosmer will strike at you from every side except the front. You won't cross swords with a Bosmer, but you might catch an arrow in the throat. Be wary in forests and jungles, and watch your back.
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exiars10 wrote: »
    Game is already DirectX 11 and it's default.

whats the point when we barely get any of the new stuff from it ?
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like ESO's robes.

In contrast to some of the ones in GW2. No joke, one of them extends out at a 45 degree angle on the front of male characters making it look like you've got a permanent semi.

Glued to legs? That I don't mind.
    Edited by Nerouyn on January 4, 2018 11:43PM