The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Random Camera Panning in Circles

Eiagra
Eiagra
✭✭✭✭✭
My sister and I have been running into an intermittent, but extremely annoying issue, where the camera starts panning around in circles. It's kinda like if you move the mouse to swing the camera around, but it doesn't get the message to stop when you stop moving the mouse, so your camera just ends up panning endlessly.

Sometimes this stops quickly if your mouse is changing directions, but a couple of times now I've caught it when my mouse came to a halt and the camera just spun around dizzyingly. At first I would wonder if my mouse laser was failing, but my sister has the same issue and a different mouse, and I've not had any issue with the cursor moving erratically, so that avenue of exploration seems unlikely.

The issue ends if you start typing into chat or move the mouse again. So it's potentially short-lived, but can be very disorienting, especially if it happens in the middle of max-speed mounted travel.

Is anyone else running into this? I'm trying to figure out what common factors may be at play here.

Edited by Eiagra on December 28, 2017 1:04AM
      In verity.
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a gamepad also plugged into the computer even if you don't use it?
    Do you have keyboard turning enabled by binding a key to turn and not just back and forth and strafing left and right?

Those two above can cause the issue if the buttons/joysticks are worn out a bit.

What type of mouse are you using? Are you using any software to modify the mouse input such as even the default mouse pointer acceleration with Windows? Have you tried disabling that?
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Been having this exact issue too over the last few weeks. Same conditions as you describe, and I also fix it by panning the camera by moving my mouse a little. Still very disruptive during combat though.
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Have the same issue past ~2 weeks. It is pretty rare, but it is not mouse related (it happened to me on two mice) and is happening only in ESO.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate the "feature" that your view swivels when you leave your character idle too long ... when that "feature" indeed is "working".
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No gamepad, and no software-based turning keybinds. ESO doesn't seem to have built-in options for turning keybinds.

My mouse is a Logitech G700s, but my sister is just using a generic laser mouse.

If the cursor was randomly sliding around, I'd look into something system-side, but this is strictly the camera acting up.
          In verity.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had this once, it turned out to be a Windows setting. Here is an explanation from another thread on how to fix it:
    I had this issue and fixed it with the solution in this thread: forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/250177/drifting-movement-camera

Basically, I went to the folder:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client

and right-clicked on ESO64.EXE (because I was using the 64 bit client, but I imagine the same would work for the 32-bit eso.exe) and selected Properties.

Then clicked on the "Compatibility" tab and Checked the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" box and clicked Apply/OK.

Then I ran eso64.exe and the drifting camera was gone! Hope it works for you too.

• Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had this once, it turned out to be a Windows setting. Here is an explanation from another thread on how to fix it:
    I had this issue and fixed it with the solution in this thread: forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/250177/drifting-movement-camera

and right-clicked on ESO64.EXE (because I was using the 64 bit client, but I imagine the same would work for the 32-bit eso.exe) and selected Properties.

Then clicked on the "Compatibility" tab and Checked the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" box and clicked Apply/OK.

Then I ran eso64.exe and the drifting camera was gone! Hope it works for you too.

@WrathOfInnos - I'm not seeing an option to disable it. Instead, there's options to override it.

"Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: [DROPDOWN BOX]"
    Options: Application, System, System (Enhanced).

The box is unchecked at the moment.

There's also an option to "Disable fullscreen optimizations." This is also unchecked at the moment.

Not sure which of these you're aiming for me to try.
          In verity.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would try the override high DPI. It's most likely the same setting with a new name. Good luck
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Eiagra wrote: »

@WrathOfInnos - I'm not seeing an option to disable it. Instead, there's options to override it.

There's also an option to "Disable fullscreen optimizations." This is also unchecked at the moment.

Override by application = disabled (since system is doing the scaling)
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Override high DPI scaling behavior" -- Changing this has not resolved the issue.

Would like to add that while this is happening, you can use keyboard to move around and it does not cause it to stop. As mentioned earlier, though, moving the mouse or entering a menu does cause it to stop.

So, the issue is still happening, looking for other ideas to fix this.
          In verity.
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    It got me again last night, while in battle in a dungeon. Please someone fix this!
    "Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." -Thranduil
  • NolaArch
    NolaArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For anyone else experiencing this, I was just having this problem on a new laptop. "Override high DPI scaling behavior" worked for me!

Also, I downloaded my game to the "D" Data drive. There is no "compatibility" option for me when I right click and select "properties." To fix this, I created a shortcut to the .exe and tried again. The option was there. Overridden and fixed!

Just putting this out there if anyone else experiences constant panning.
    Ardat-Yakshii EP Stam NB
    36k anchovy club
    Mash the buttons, hope for the best!
    I have some achievements
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. Doesn't seem to be a universal fix, though. Wondering what else can be tried to remedy this...
          In verity.
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's like the game doesn't recognize when you stop panning the mouse, and it just keeps going until it's moved again. It can happen up/down, not just side to side. It's also getting more frequent and makes murder and picking pockets a pain, if it hits at a crucial point.
    "Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." -Thranduil
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's like the game doesn't recognize when you stop panning the mouse, and it just keeps going until it's moved again. It can happen up/down, not just side to side. It's also getting more frequent and makes murder and picking pockets a pain, if it hits at a crucial point.

im fishing atm, and it can be quite annoing jeah xD
    PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose the official channel for getting things reported would be a /bug report. And to ensure we're getting as much relevant data to the team that handles it, we may need to do it every day, every time it happens. At least until we see notification that the devteam has recognized the source of the issue and needs no further reports.

@ZOS_GinaBruno or anyone else who can let us know, please do so. My sister and I will be diligent.
          In verity.
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    In other words, just like when my Nixad lost it's voice, it will be reported every day, possibly multiple times a day, until someone says "we're gonna try to fix this". :)
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate this. It happens to me a lot.

One can limit the nausea by reducing the camera's rotation speed, but that of course hurts you when you WANT to change view quickly.
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may be a more complex fix, though, since it's the camera panning system, rather than an asset setting. Patience will be important.

If there are specific scenarios we should be testing that the programmers know of, to try and reliably reproduce it (outside of the seemingly random times it does so now), please let us know that too!
          In verity.
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also, could an add-on potentially cause it? Should we list what we are currently using?
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    This bug is becoming a major hindrance. Plus the speed of the spin varies. I just happened to spin my mouse fast, and the camera didn't stop when the mouse movement did...resulting in a super fast, dizzy spin, until I moved the mouse again to stop it.
    Edited by SilentRaven1972 on February 4, 2018 12:12AM
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We did some experimenting and found a few things to add to this case:

- Our antivirus wasn't the culprit, as we still experienced the issue when it was uninstalled -- I bring this up because the last issue we had related to input was due to Avast specifically (we've since moved to Bitdefender).
    - The issue triggers without any addons.

I'm struggling to find common factors other than "It's just in ESO code itself," especially since not everyone seems to be impacted by this, or it would be getting more spotlight.

If anyone is being hit by this and has ideas on things to try, or if a mod would like to chip in with what information may be helpful to isolate this, please leave a comment. Thanks!
          In verity.
  • aeirios
    aeirios
    ✭✭

yeah i had the creeping pan issue and the above fixed it.
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, my sister and I both gave that a try, but it had no effect. :/
          In verity.
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This seems to be getting worse, not better.

Oddly, it hit my sister just a bit ago while she was exiting inventory and NOT moving mouse. So it may have something to do with the camera panning code itself, not its connection to mouse movement.
          In verity.
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    Someone mentioned "creeping" camera pan. Whatever this is, it hits at varying speeds. Sometimes super slow, sometimes super fast, and everything in between. Sometimes speed will be based on the speed i moved my mouse when it starts, other times it just does what it wants.
  • Zagnut123Zagnut123
    Zagnut123Zagnut123
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has any dev acknowledged this bug at least. This has caused me to mess up twice while running backroom in vmol hm it's a very annoying problem
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes its a camera pan issue.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eiagra wrote: »

Had the bug on windows 10, then choose the compatibility options DPI resolution override for applucation something like that

Now is ok
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has any dev acknowledged this bug at least. This has caused me to mess up twice while running backroom in vmol hm it's a very annoying problem

It is acknowledged and on the TESO website help