The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Procedurally Generated Dungeons?

• andreasv
    andreasv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Division has something similar in their Underground DLC. It's basically the same huge map but each run will lead you on different routes with different enemies (only 3 factions I believe) and bosses. Certain smaller things can happen as well, like skill jammers in some rooms or fog to decrease visibility. And they recently added the chance that some tough enemies can spawn that give great loot.

Taking into account the different possibilities as well as the option to add up to 3 stages (3 consecutive runs) and other choices (disable mini map or health draining at constant rate), this is an amazing way to grind for loot.
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be great and more immersive than the "time loops" we have now :)

TES:Arena performed Generated maps from the very begingin of the franchise
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • jakeedmundson
    jakeedmundson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calsifer wrote: »
    (personally I am too stupid to do puzzles on the fly)

I gave you an "awesome" for the idea because it sounds fun... but this line was really funny to me.
    Gotta love an honest person. :wink:

Addition:
    The only issue i see some people having with this is possible interference with the lore/quests. Say you go into spindleclutch 1 and assume there will be spiders everywhere because, hey, its a spider cave. And then finding a bunch of daedroth or something instead.

Personally i have no issue with this because variety is the spice of life. Games are no different.
    Edited by jakeedmundson on December 19, 2017 2:55PM
    CP690
    Lv 50 Dunmer DragonKnight Tank/Dps
    Lv 50 Altmer Sorcerer Dps
    Lv 50 Breton Templar Healer/Dps
    Lv 50 Altmer Nightblade Dps
    Lv 50 Redguard Sorcerer Dps
    PS4 - DC
    vSOHM - vAAHM - vHRC - vMA Flawless

My version of a Heavy Attack Sorc build
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/294724/magicka-sorc-heavy-attack-build-homestead-ready/p1?new=1
  • ol_BANK_lo
    ol_BANK_lo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Dev Team,

I was just curious, but has any thought been put into a procedurally generated dungeon to shake things up as it were? Much like how in the early days of a game with a certain "El Diablo" in which the levels were always different each time you played them?

This would break up the monotonous nature of running random (seen it, been there, done that) dungeons.

My thoughs would be along the lines of a dungeon that has random map layouts, and bosses (with random abilities). This would blind side every group each time the dungeon is run. You would never know what to expect each run and could never anticipate exactly what skills would need to be brought to the table.

Well balanced characters might take a bit longer to get through the dungeon, but so called "glass cannons" might not have the tool sets necessary to just BLAST their way through it. Perhaps skills based on the class/role you chose would make suitable obstacles/objectives possible, i.e. doors that require the highest level of lockpicking, or bottomless pits that require streak to get across, to then lower a bridge for non teleporting characters to get across.

Not necessarily making things puzzles. (personally I am too stupid to do puzzles on the fly) But adding new content constantly without the need for a DLC or at least something to truly hold us over and give us an ADVENTURE rather than simply the normal dungeon thrashing that happens now.

Individual mechanics could be learned, but not anticipated for each run. The fire runes on the floor the first time you run around the 3rd corder may be a boss next time or trash the following time, or even a dead end. (as the map should be constantly changing with each new run) Not many new textures would be required, as with Skyrim, while many caves look to have exactly the same textures and a few similar rooms, they had different layouts using the same "tool set" so to speak.

I believe this proposition would allow the dev team more time to bring QUALITY DLCs and chapters.

I don't know if I have an opinion on this idea in and of itself....but holy crap would doing these dungeons with randoms in Group Finder be awful. It's bad enough now, but it would be impossible running with pugs.
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just dont think these dungeons would be on par with the art style and attention to detail seen in this game. There are many different places in this game that use all the same assets, but they almost always feel different because of how the artist laid them out with so much care and detail. I cant see that look and feel translating very well into procedural generation, not without a massive amount of work from the design team.

I could forgive a drop in quality, but this is their baby and I doubt they will.
    [DC/NA]
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Dev Team,

I was just curious, but has any thought been put into a procedurally generated dungeon to shake things up as it were? Much like how in the early days of a game with a certain "El Diablo" in which the levels were always different each time you played them?

This would break up the monotonous nature of running random (seen it, been there, done that) dungeons.

My thoughs would be along the lines of a dungeon that has random map layouts, and bosses (with random abilities). This would blind side every group each time the dungeon is run. You would never know what to expect each run and could never anticipate exactly what skills would need to be brought to the table.

Well balanced characters might take a bit longer to get through the dungeon, but so called "glass cannons" might not have the tool sets necessary to just BLAST their way through it. Perhaps skills based on the class/role you chose would make suitable obstacles/objectives possible, i.e. doors that require the highest level of lockpicking, or bottomless pits that require streak to get across, to then lower a bridge for non teleporting characters to get across.

Not necessarily making things puzzles. (personally I am too stupid to do puzzles on the fly) But adding new content constantly without the need for a DLC or at least something to truly hold us over and give us an ADVENTURE rather than simply the normal dungeon thrashing that happens now.

Individual mechanics could be learned, but not anticipated for each run. The fire runes on the floor the first time you run around the 3rd corder may be a boss next time or trash the following time, or even a dead end. (as the map should be constantly changing with each new run) Not many new textures would be required, as with Skyrim, while many caves look to have exactly the same textures and a few similar rooms, they had different layouts using the same "tool set" so to speak.

I believe this proposition would allow the dev team more time to bring QUALITY DLCs and chapters.

I don't know if I have an opinion on this idea in and of itself....but holy crap would doing these dungeons with randoms in Group Finder be awful. It's bad enough now, but it would be impossible running with pugs.

It sounds like it could awesome doing it with friends in voice chat. For PUGs, who aren't necessarily self-reliant or flexible on the best of days, I agree with you.
  • Motherball
    Motherball
    ✭✭✭✭
    holy crap would doing these dungeons with randoms in Group Finder be awful. It's bad enough now, but it would be impossible running with pugs.

Not sure how it would be any different. Players would still be as unprepared as they are now. At least everyone would be (almost) equally unprepared in this circumstance.
    Edited by Motherball on December 19, 2017 4:43PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Motherball wrote: »
    holy crap would doing these dungeons with randoms in Group Finder be awful. It's bad enough now, but it would be impossible running with pugs.

Not sure how it would be any different. Players would still be as unprepared as they are now. At least everyone would be (almost) equally unprepared in this circumstance.

If I get unprepared players in my group in a random dungeon, I can usually carry them through it with sufficient DPS, solid tanking, or good heals/DPS depending on what role I'm in.

If we are all unprepared and I'm having to adapt what I'm doing on the fly to a situation I've never seen before and mechanics I don't know...that's a cluster**** waiting to happen. Its one thing to do that with friends on voice chat, that can be a ton of fun! But with a random group with text in chat, not so much, and it would be worse for those not on PC.