The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

getting rid of steam

Analara
Analara
I bought ESO:morrowind through Steam and I really hate the Steam install. I subsequently bought a disk version for 2 reasons: I wanted a hard copy on hand in case of emergencies and (most important) I am hoping to get rid of that annoying, proprietary Steam install.

BUT, I don't want to screw my saved data, lose that humongous 66G game install and find my self with a wrecked install and a non-updated game.

can I install the CD version over the Steam one, or am I looking at a MISERABLE re-install & update? 2nd option: will renaming any of the folders help me to install and update (while I'm sleeping) the new version so I can DELETE that hated Steam version?

any help appreciated and thanks in advance.

regards
  • Amphithoe
    Amphithoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would recommend you do a complete re-install using ZOS own launcher downloaded from your ESO Account, you risk running into a lot of unforeseen issues by overcomplicating the install. Also installing from the CD is kinda pointless, as the number of updates since release is substantial. I know it takes a long time to download, but nothing worth having comes easy :wink:
    Guildmaster: School of Julianos
  • Analara
    Analara
    tyvm! I'm interested in the freebies that accompany the disk; so, I'll need to keep looking for a solution. your reply added a great deal of clarification, though. I really hate the steam install. :(
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you register the disk version then any in-game freebies will be applied to the account automatically, installing the game off the disk won't do anything and most of the installation will still be downloaded digitally anyway.
  • Analara
    Analara
    Tandor wrote: »
    If you register the disk version then any in-game freebies will be applied to the account automatically, installing the game off the disk won't do anything and most of the installation will still be downloaded digitally anyway.

more good info; so I can have the freebies with no sweat, eh? that's a good deal, but I'm still stuck with a DL if I want to get rid of the steam install...<groan>

I really hate steam, but, I guess, a delete and re-install during the holidays might be good; do it when I have other things to be occupied with.

ty all so much; if anyone has any more thoughts to add; I'm listening.

did I say I really hate the steam install? I did...oh.

thanks again
    Edited by Analara on December 22, 2017 2:35AM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone who actually runs through Steam may have to check me on this, but if ESO uses an automated login on the Steam install, it may not be possible to extract your account from Steam. I play at least one other MMO where once your account has been bound to steam, you're unable to separate them afterwards.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    steam generally dont allow seperating. but ESO does have its own login through steam so you can just login, assuming you can install it.
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone who actually runs through Steam may have to check me on this, but if ESO uses an automated login on the Steam install, it may not be possible to extract your account from Steam. I play at least one other MMO where once your account has been bound to steam, you're unable to separate them afterwards.

Only if the install is done through Steam. The sale of this game by Steam is pretty much a middle man for a code which activates an account. Once redeemed, the game launcher can be downloaded directly from ZoS ESO account page and played without Steam.

To the OP, there is a technical way of moving the bulk of the data, but it is pretty complicated and without the exact knowledge of where to move the files, the launcher will download the game all over again when you launch it. I personally don’t know the process however it’s similar to what users would do when they wanted to change servers in the past without needing to download the entire game again.
  • jaye63
    jaye63
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did this myself.

Step 1
    Uninstall the game from Steam
    Step 2
    With steam COMPLETELY TURNED OFF (open task manager to make sure no steam process is running) install and update the game from your disk or directly from the ESO site
    Step 3
    Login with your current login

You are going to lose your save variable from your addons unless you copy the files and save them elsewhere so actually, doing that should be step one.

Your welcome.
  • Analara
    Analara
    thanks again to everybody. I have been trying so hard to avoid that loooong (for me) DL a second time, but it looks like uninstall/delete/re-install from the disk is my path. I'll need to get into the right frame of mind for that. you've all been helpful, even though I didn't want to hear the uninstall part! I hope no one who doesn't care for steam makes my mistake. I. will. never. do. this. again.

• Ajaxcat
    Ajaxcat
    ✭✭
    I really wish I had not purchased through steam and linked my account as well. It causes me problems with logins sometimes and I have no need of steam for this. I really have to open a ticket and ask if I can undo it. I'd hate to have to re-buy everything though but at this point 1 more login problem and I probably will. As long as I retain my characters I'd probably fork over the cash (again)
  • RavenMind1
    A guildmate of mine has been conversing with ZOS & steam for the last week trying to get his characters, crown purchases, etc. transferred over to his new non-Steam version. Both companies answers were no. I hope you have better luck! Please post back if you do. :)
  • Ajaxcat
    Ajaxcat
    ✭✭
    RavenMind1 wrote: »
    A guildmate of mine has been conversing with ZOS & steam for the last week trying to get his characters, crown purchases, etc. transferred over to his new non-Steam version. Both companies answers were no. I hope you have better luck! Please post back if you do. :)

I will. That's my main fear. The money of additional purchases would be a pita but I could eventually absorb it. Loss of progression on my middling characters would definitely tick me off.

The thing that really bugs me is I'm not clear on why I did it this way. Was i temporarily insane? :) I use steam for other things but this was unnecessary.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The login difference will be the problem. The download is identical. (Steam launches a slightly different client, but the steam and normal client are present in the full download regardless.)

In fact, if you have both, you can make a symbolic link from one to the other and not have to redownload anything.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS