Maintenance for the week of June 17:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)

End of net neutrality will kill f2p/b2p

• Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    erlewine wrote: »
    ...and next time you promise to move to Canada, pls do it

Likely out of the question for most people -- Canada has pretty specific immigration rules
    unless you are advocating people take the illegal route
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
    Options
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sleep724 wrote: »
    There was no net neutrality before 2015 and the internet grew just fine.

This. You liberals have panic attacks anytime there is change you dont like.

Actually there were tamer forms of net neutrality and there are over a dozen issues before 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqJDW_s93rc
    Options
  • Myyth
    Myyth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No worries!

ZoS will start charging $100 for limited time only mounts and people will pay as they always do. And they will release super duper exclusive houses for $200 and people will complain, but continue to buy as we have already seen.

So everything will be just fine!
    Edited by Myyth on December 15, 2017 3:16PM
    Options
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    LegacyDM wrote: »
    I'll keep this simple.

ISPs will now charge content providers (ZOS in this case) more money to offer current services to their customers. Content providers will pass on increased costs to the customer. However, since this game relies on crown store and paid chapter products and not subscriptions, ZOS has a problem. Crown prices are already as high as customers are willing to pay, and chapters are expensive as is, soooooo where will they get the money to stay profitable with increased operating costs?

Didn't think net neutrality repeal would affect you or online gaming? Think again. As long as the repeal to neutrality is here to stay I see a revival in subscription based gaming for the desktop computer gaming market.

Good luck ZOS.

Theyll likely also charge their customer for access as well. The ISPs would love nothing more than to cut up the internet into neat little packages that they can lop on the customer.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
    Options
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glurin wrote: »
    I'll keep this simple.

Alrighty then. So will I.
    ISPs will now charge content providers (ZOS in this case) more money to offer current services to their customers.

No, they won't. At least not because of "the end of net neutrality". Just not good business. They might do it to cover operating costs and such though.
    Content providers will pass on increased costs to the customer.

Yeah. Always have, always will. They can't stay in business (ie. provide content) otherwise. Nobody could. Well, except the government, but even they get bitten in the ass by it eventually.
    However, since this game relies on crown store and paid chapter products and not subscriptions, ZOS has a problem.

None that they didn't have before.
    Crown prices are already as high as customers are willing to pay, and chapters are expensive as is, soooooo where will they get the money to stay profitable with increased operating costs?

By offering more and better content in exchange for a sum of money like everybody else in a capitalist society?
    Didn't think net neutrality repeal would affect you or online gaming? Think again. As long as the repeal to neutrality is here to stay I see a revival in subscription based gaming for the desktop computer gaming market.

Subscription based gaming came about because of good economic times when lots of people had lots of disposable income. Likewise, F2P became a growing trend because of bad economic times when people no longer had much disposable income. It had nothing whatsoever to do with net neutrality.

Hate to break it to you, but net neutrality has a fatal flaw. The spirit of net neutrality is fine, but it can't be enforced without violating that spirit. Look at it this way. You're wanting to keep the internet free of corrupted influences by handing control over to what is hands down the most corrupt and selfish type of entity on the planet. (Fox guarding the hen house comes to mind.) It's just not going to work the way you want it to and it's a good thing to get repealed before any damage is done.

Finally someone that has actually researched what Net Neutrality truly is. Agree with you 100%. Net Neutrality is a very bad thing.
    Options
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    erlewine wrote: »
    cracks me up to no end that people think this "save net neutrality" nonsense is some grassroots "for the people" movement to SAVE THE INTERNET.

Guys, its literally a corporate scheme designed and paid for by billionaire companies to troll you into doing their work for them.

turn off CNN, close reddit, understand government regulation ain't all its cracked up to be (for more info, see: all of recorded history), and next time you promise to move to Canada, pls do it

Is it really nonsense when a majority of Americans are against its repeal?

“Yeah! Ima gonna stick it to you Libs!!”

*Looks at internet bill* .....oops.

I can’t wait for the Breitbart crowd to eat crow on this.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
    Options
  • ParaNostram
    ParaNostram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »
    Mephilis78 wrote: »
    I'll keep this simple.

ISPs will now charge content providers (ZOS in this case) more money to offer current services to their customers. Content providers will pass on increased costs to the customer. However, since this game relies on crown store and paid chapter products and not subscriptions, ZOS has a problem. Crown prices are already as high as customers are willing to pay, and chapters are expensive as is, soooooo where will they get the money to stay profitable with increased operating costs?

Good luck ZOS.

So repealing a regulation=forcing all ISPs to throttle.
    Got it. CNN is my god, and MSNBC is my savior.

Quit smoking crack

it doesn't force them, they just have very incentive to do so. Why do you think they lobbied so heavily for the repeal?

Capitalism doesn't force anyone to exploit the workers or double dip from the consumer's pockets, it just offers incentive to do so.
    "Your mistake is you begged for your life, not for mercy. I will show you there are many fates worse than death."

Para Nostram
    Bosmer Sorceress
    Witch of Evermore

"Death is a privilege that can be denied by it's learned scholars."
    Order of the Black Worm
    Options
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know. The wild uproar and the sjw's flipping out (saying that the apocalypse is nigh and the Sun is about to go dark) before anything has happened is a bit much (as is the uproar in most cases like this). I say let's all see how it all pans out. Also, the federal government (USA) was in fact not created to put its thumb on all these matters such as this. But overtime it grew and grew, became bloated and started passing rules and regulations like free candy (only thing being that anything that the government does is not free, taxpayers pick up the bill). But I guess there are those that want government to police and play nanny to more and more things. I like to take everything on a case by case basis.
    Options
  • PS4_ZeColmeia
    PS4_ZeColmeia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy about the end of net neutrality! woot woot.
    PSN: ***___Chan (3 _s)
    Hybrid, All-Role NB
    Options
  • mirta000b16_ESO
    mirta000b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    These 4 pages make me think that Americans think that any government regulation is the devil and corporatism is the way to go.
    Options
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know. The wild uproar and the sjw's flipping out (saying that the apocalypse is nigh and the Sun is about to go dark) before anything has happened is a bit much (as is the uproar in most cases like this). I say let's all see how it all pans out. Also, the federal government (USA) was in fact not created to put its thumb on all these matters such as this. But overtime it grew and grew, became bloated and started passing rules and regulations like free candy (only thing being that anything that the government does is not free, taxpayers pick up the bill). But I guess there are those that want government to police and play nanny to more and more things. I like to take everything on a case by case basis.

@Publius_Scipio you are an island in a sea of madness. Kudos
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
    Options
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cadbury wrote: »

@Publius_Scipio you are an island in a sea of madness. Kudos

No. I'm just a soldier in the COVENANT! DRACARYS! I WILL COME FOR YOU!

Edit: For those of you that don't know. Dracarys is a vicious, violent, foaming at the mouth, red beady eyes, EP raid in the Vivec Cyrodiil campaign.
    Edited by Publius_Scipio on December 15, 2017 4:07PM
    Options
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Its almost as if there was a period in our history here in the US where the Government didnt get involved and the end result was quite disasterous. And when they did get involved it was in reaction to what some might coin as small scale revolts.

Theres a reason things like child labor is illegal and employee rights exist. Its almost as if things had to get pretty bad before someone somewhere decided the Government needed to step in on behalf of its citizens...And honestly, what good is a government if it wont protect its people?
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
    Options
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think of the end of net neutrality like this:

You walk into the local library to read some books. Maybe watch a video(because omigawd, they rent music and movies, too!) and the library staff says to you, "I'm sorry. That section of books is off limits to you, because you're not on the right plan."

You shrug, go walking somewhere else in this huge repository of knowledge and another librarian says, "Slow down. You're walking too fast." Sheesh.

You grab a book off the shelf. Holy, I haven't read this one in forever. I can't wait to settle into this one! Five minutes later, a librarian walks over to you, "I'm sorry. You're reading too fast. Slow down. Also, you're almost at your limit of words today. You'll have to stop soon or pay us 15.99 per word after you go over your limit."

See, all this did was hand the golden ticket over to the ISP companies to start carving up the services you used to receive lump sum. Want email? 4.99/month. Streaming video? 29.99/month. Oh, you want to stream OUT? That's another 14.99/month. You want WHAT speeds? 109.99/month. And there's no guarantee to the speed. Also, if you don't have the right carrier, you cannot visit certain sites. Imagine not being able to hit up YouTube anymore because your ISP isn't partnered with them. Or Netflix. Or Twitch. Oh, hey, you want to download that game? It's 90 GB? That'll take a week now, thank you.

The ONLY way to get net neutrality back will be to drop all internet service. Tell the companies this isn't going to make them a profit and to profit, put it back. Until that happens, the country needs to go dark. I can remember what it was like without internet, can you? Inconvenient, but doable.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
    Options
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Its almost as if there was a period in our history here in the US where the Government didnt get involved and the end result was quite disasterous. And when they did get involved it was in reaction to what some might coin as small scale revolts.

Theres a reason things like child labor is illegal and employee rights exist. Its almost as if things had to get pretty bad before someone somewhere decided the Government needed to step in on behalf of its citizens...And honestly, what good is a government if it wont protect its people?

You can't take a paint roller, run it across the paint pan of "protection" and then start rolling all the walls. Everything should be taken as a case by case basis. Government is extremely bloated, costing taxpayers more and more, and on top of that government doesn't watch their own wallet, they just run a deficit.
    Options
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You can't take a paint roller, run it across the paint pan of "protection" and then start rolling all the walls. Everything should be taken as a case by case basis. Government is extremely bloated, costing taxpayers more and more, and on top of that government doesn't watch their own wallet, they just run a deficit.

I’m not at all convinced this move was made to ease the burden of the poor American tax payer.

Many analysts, professors agree that things will go unchanged until the heat and spotlight is off this issue.

What you’ll see is a slow burn. Gradually easing into offering ala carte type offerings for certain services.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
    Options
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think of the end of net neutrality like this:

You walk into the local library to read some books. Maybe watch a video(because omigawd, they rent music and movies, too!) and the library staff says to you, "I'm sorry. That section of books is off limits to you, because you're not on the right plan."

You shrug, go walking somewhere else in this huge repository of knowledge and another librarian says, "Slow down. You're walking too fast." Sheesh.

You grab a book off the shelf. Holy, I haven't read this one in forever. I can't wait to settle into this one! Five minutes later, a librarian walks over to you, "I'm sorry. You're reading too fast. Slow down. Also, you're almost at your limit of words today. You'll have to stop soon or pay us 15.99 per word after you go over your limit."

See, all this did was hand the golden ticket over to the ISP companies to start carving up the services you used to receive lump sum. Want email? 4.99/month. Streaming video? 29.99/month. Oh, you want to stream OUT? That's another 14.99/month. You want WHAT speeds? 109.99/month. And there's no guarantee to the speed. Also, if you don't have the right carrier, you cannot visit certain sites. Imagine not being able to hit up YouTube anymore because your ISP isn't partnered with them. Or Netflix. Or Twitch. Oh, hey, you want to download that game? It's 90 GB? That'll take a week now, thank you.

The ONLY way to get net neutrality back will be to drop all internet service. Tell the companies this isn't going to make them a profit and to profit, put it back. Until that happens, the country needs to go dark. I can remember what it was like without internet, can you? Inconvenient, but doable.

This is the best outcome
    Spoiler for Escape From LA, fyi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHUqNCDwQj4
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
    Options
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I’m not at all convinced this move was made to ease the burden of the poor American tax payer.

Many analysts, professors agree that things will go unchanged until the heat and spotlight is off this issue.

What you’ll see is a slow burn. Gradually easing into offering ala carte type offerings for certain services.

I wouldn't just accept the "analysts and professors agree" argument without hesitation. Like yourself, the "analysts" and "professors" don't know what will actually happen until it does. The analysts and professors line is something all the news networks like to throw out there many a time to make it seem their stance and information is infallible. Which we all know is not the case.
    Options
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    These 4 pages make me think that Americans think that any government regulation is the devil and corporatism is the way to go.

That really is about it with some people there. They think they can trust a corporation more than the government, which is just downright hilarious.
    Jade1986 wrote: »
    Those pesky facts.

FCC got a whole bunch of dead people (800 000 in fact) sign on their website in order to even proceed to take this issue to voting. How is it more trustworthy than wiki?

And who is leading them? That is why I posted that comment.
    Options
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

We have decided to close this thread for discussing Real-world politics. Topics such as this fall under Inappropriate Content and Language as stated in our rules:
    Inappropriate Content and Language: Certain topics and subjects are deemed inappropriate and not permitted on the official ESO forums. Things that we consider inappropriate are usually illegal, extremely volatile or violent, obscene, vulgar, or simply inappropriate for an official game forum such as ours. Inappropriate content on the ESO forums includes, but is not limited to the following:
    • Extreme violence
    • Illegal substances and activities
    • Pirated copyright-protected material
    • Pornography and other sexually explicit topics
    • Real-world religion and politics
    • Tasteless, vulgar, or obscene material
    One specific term we’d like to call out, as well, is the term “gay.” It is never appropriate to use “gay” as a derogatory term.
    At this time, we would like to advise everyone take a moment to review the Community Rules so that everyone has a better understanding of what is and is not acceptable on the forums.

Thank you for your understanding!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.