The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Question to the more seasoned players.

Yagorn
Yagorn
✭✭
Do you think the game is too restrictive when comes to the builds you can use when going for end game content ?

From a noob perspective it feels the meta is too restrictive if you want to be marginaly competent in End game content, at lest from what I hear from the people I ask for.

On the skill side, it seems to me the system doesn't fully embrace the idea of Stamina and Magicka resource builds or at least the complete focus of it (i.e Stamsorc), I mean I do understand you don't need to fully embrance one resource to be competent but as mentioned above it does feel rather restrictive that way playstyle wise.

I'm might be just not fully understanding on how the game works yet (been back for almost a month only with just a few hours to propely play) and proboly stubborn asI wanted to make a hybrid and aparently I can't.

Anyways I'd appriciate if you guys could explain to me or offer a updated guide to understand the mechanics better.

EDIT: Better clarification.
Edited by Yagorn on December 13, 2017 11:58AM
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's because you are looking at meta ( what's in fashion) and lot looking for your own style.

There's few successful hybrid build in existence. Also last few patches gave them more gear.

So what I say is keep looking and trying while learning to be you.
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't feel restricted at all. I use the same character (Imperial stamDK) for tanking and dpsing with just changing some attribute points and champion points. On my character, I carry four DPS sets, five tanking sets, two PvP sets, and four monster sets. I run DW/bow for dps, double 1hs for tanking, and either 2H/bow or 2H/1hs for PvP. I find there's plenty of variety.

And when I get bored, I can always log into one of my twelve alts :)
    Edited by AverageJo3Gam3r on December 14, 2017 7:15PM
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game was initially designed with Magicka as your main resource and Stamina as a defensive resource. Hence most abilities are Magicka based. However, this, in conjunction with soft-caps to prevent min-maxing, forced everyone into a spellsword variant (aka hybrid). Then Update 6 half redesigned the game, removing caps and adding Stamina morphs of class skills, enabling non-hybrid builds. The key part is "half." Without a full redesign, old and new elements clash, resulting in the min-max balance mess we have today and for the past 2 years.

Competitive play is very restrictive. Because there are no caps, anything less than optimal stat allocation will falter. Update 7 increased the uptick from Epic (purple) to Legendary (gold) gear, meaning in order to truly test any build, it has to be golded out. And we all know how expensive that is. With experimentation heavily penalized by material costs, it is rare for new optimal builds to surface. Viable is another story -- ZOS has nerfed mobs so hard over the years you only need LMB and some armor to complete most content.

If you have a knack for crunching numbers (called theory crafting 'round these parts), you can come up with your own stuff that will pass tests competitive players put you to. But you won't beat min-maxed builds.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 4 mains, all different classes, different gear and different skills. And each of them can be respeced into something completely different and still be viable.

So no, i don't feel restricted ...
    :smile:
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on who you ask.
    Choice is somewhat restricted, more than I'd like honestly, but not as bad as it once was. There's a lot of armor sets and skills that are universally considered useless, which sort of makes the game feel more restricted. Sure, you CAN use them but there is no reason to do so since better options are easy to acquire.
    Argonian forever
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    personally, I've found it much easier to incorporate magicka skills in to stamina builds then to have magicka focused builds utilize stamina resources...

mostly because of the stamina drain on blocking, running, roll dodging, and sneaking...

true, my magsorc doesn't spend a whole lot of time roll dodging or running, but he does need to move around in stealth and block occasionally...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • victoriana-blue
    victoriana-blue
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on your definition of "end game."

If it's vet HM score runs in trials, it's pretty restrictive.

If it's general vet trials, the restrictions are from other players: builds that are outside the norm change group dynamics that a lot of people take for granted (skills slotted, timings, positioning, etc) and that can a) up the difficulty a bit and/or b) take time & effort the group would rather spend elsewhere. But if you get in a guild with people willing to work with you, you'll be fine.

If it's vet dungeons and normal trials, there are very few restrictions and it's awesome. :smile: Gear can still make a big difference - probably shouldn't combine heavy Julianos with light Hunding's Rage - but race, class, and role are pretty flexible.

(Source: I have a Dunmer nb tank I've taken to trials and I main a Breton vampire stamblade dps. I'm not going to break any records, but I have fun.)

ETA: also, it's so easy to reset skills and CP in this game that unless you're going for vet score runs you're not going to screw up your character forever. You might need to make changes to your particular build for vet DLC dungeons, but there are viable hybrids out there.
    Edited by victoriana-blue on December 16, 2017 6:05AM
    CP 750+
    Never enough inventory space, even with storage coffers and a mule account
  • gabormezo
    gabormezo
    ✭✭✭
    "Endgame PvP" wise there is countless options too. Yes, there are meta builds those offers 1.2377 percent more stink to your argonian's fart, but anything could be viable that you feel comfortable on.