The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

How to learn pvp?

• dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @LittlePinkDot great advice from many in this thread. You didn't mention your faction (At least I didn't see it)... but a bow-build stamblade can be a ton of fun. That's my main... I run a Wood Elf with Hundings/Marksman and one monster for added weapon dmg and I can hit like a truck.

There's a lot of salt aimed at stamblades but the truth is that most high-damage builds are glass cannons. You get one chance to kill your target, and if you don't burst them down fast it's often lights-out for you. Nothing wrong with stealthing up and leaving the scene... It's a NB skill just like shields are for Sorcs, so use it and feel no shame. :smile:

I'm probably 80% solo in PvP, 20% running with guildies. Your level makes you a bit more squishy, but battle-leveling in PvP means you should be able to throw down some good damage. CP allocation is a big thing in Shor and Vivec and it can make big differences to your experience. Because of the speed of movement and the overall agility of a Wood Elf/Stam build, it's by far my favorite in PvP. Everything else seems so clumsy and slow by comparison when I play other characters.
    PS4NA
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dotme wrote: »
    Hi @LittlePinkDot great advice from many in this thread. You didn't mention your faction (At least I didn't see it)... but a bow-build stamblade can be a ton of fun. That's my main... I run a Wood Elf with Hundings/Marksman and one monster for added weapon dmg and I can hit like a truck.

There's a lot of salt aimed at stamblades but the truth is that most high-damage builds are glass cannons. You get one chance to kill your target, and if you don't burst them down fast it's often lights-out for you. Nothing wrong with stealthing up and leaving the scene... It's a NB skill just like shields are for Sorcs, so use it and feel no shame. :smile:

I'm probably 80% solo in PvP, 20% running with guildies. Your level makes you a bit more squishy, but battle-leveling in PvP means you should be able to throw down some good damage. CP allocation is a big thing in Shor and Vivec and it can make big differences to your experience. Because of the speed of movement and the overall agility of a Wood Elf/Stam build, it's by far my favorite in PvP. Everything else seems so clumsy and slow by comparison when I play other characters.

Im AD faction. But honestly I tried leveling up in pvp last night and it takes forever to get anywhere on a slow horse. Even if I see a keep being attacked, most of the time its done before I even get there. Cyrodiil is a big open space with nothing in it, its making it very boring. I just need 1 more level in assault to get vigor. But I dont have relentless assault, shadow image, piercing mark ect. I cant even practice a pvp skill rotation if I havent even unlocked the skills yet. It seems to make more sense to level to 42 in pve first.
    Trying to level in pvp with a slow mount is like kicking a dead horse and beating my head against a wall.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    Honestly, I think that at the stage you are, zerging is the only option in cyro.

You can't go alone and 1v1 people and learn from it as a stamblade without vigor, rally and rapids. It just isn't possible.
    For starters, its rare you will find a 1v1. If you go alone, they will usually be Xv1.
    Secondly, to get away from the zergs means more travelling. You have a slow horse and no rapids yet.
    And thirdly, As an inexperienced player with no heals, you will die too quickly to learn anything.

Go with the zergs. But recognise that, as others have said, there is a point where to really learn how to play, you need to leave the zergs and become self-relient.
    But first you need the tools and a certain amount of experience.

If your goal is to improve at small fights and 1v1s, it's not going to happen from fighting in a zerg group. The only way is having a friend who is more experienced duel with you over and over many times, explain what you're doing wrong, etc.

Just as if your goal is to become better at following the leader's instructions in those big groups, it's not going to happen from dueling.

Yeah but 1v1 or small scaling now without the main heal of a stamina player is kind of pointless as well. Theres enough opportunity to zerg for a bit and then wander solo for a bit just so long as you realize dieing is meaningless outside of that damned slow ass horse just starting out.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Im AD faction. But honestly I tried leveling up in pvp last night and it takes forever to get anywhere on a slow horse. Even if I see a keep being attacked, most of the time its done before I even get there. Cyrodiil is a big open space with nothing in it, its making it very boring. I just need 1 more level in assault to get vigor. But I dont have relentless assault, shadow image, piercing mark ect. I cant even practice a pvp skill rotation if I havent even unlocked the skills yet. It seems to make more sense to level to 42 in pve first.
    Trying to level in pvp with a slow mount is like kicking a dead horse and beating my head against a wall.

one of the reasons folks have suggested you type: LFG in zone chat and zerg up is that more than likely someone in your group will have rapid maneuvers slotted to assist you and your glacial paced mount...

I feel for ya...just went through making two new wardens with morrowind...getting around cyrodiil the first few weeks was tedious to say the least...
    Edited by geonsocal on December 13, 2017 7:17PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »

one of the reasons folks have suggested you type: LFG in zone chat and zerg up is that more than likely someone in your group will have rapid maneuvers slotted to assist you and your glacial paced mount...

I feel for ya...just went through making two new wardens with morrowind...getting around cyrodiil the first few weeks was tedious to say the least...

The other mounts are faster correct?
    Im tempted just to buy a mount with crowns. I think my time a sanity might be worth more than the crowns. And ive blown most of my gold on potions and buying items from guild traders to research for crafting.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Find a decent PvP guild to run with. They'll help you with your build and other advice.
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Biro123 wrote: »
    Honestly, I think that at the stage you are, zerging is the only option in cyro.

You can't go alone and 1v1 people and learn from it as a stamblade without vigor, rally and rapids. It just isn't possible.
    For starters, its rare you will find a 1v1. If you go alone, they will usually be Xv1.
    Secondly, to get away from the zergs means more travelling. You have a slow horse and no rapids yet.
    And thirdly, As an inexperienced player with no heals, you will die too quickly to learn anything.

Go with the zergs. But recognise that, as others have said, there is a point where to really learn how to play, you need to leave the zergs and become self-relient.
    But first you need the tools and a certain amount of experience.

If your goal is to improve at small fights and 1v1s, it's not going to happen from fighting in a zerg group. The only way is having a friend who is more experienced duel with you over and over many times, explain what you're doing wrong, etc.

Just as if your goal is to become better at following the leader's instructions in those big groups, it's not going to happen from dueling.

Yeah but 1v1 or small scaling now without the main heal of a stamina player is kind of pointless as well. Theres enough opportunity to zerg for a bit and then wander solo for a bit just so long as you realize dieing is meaningless outside of that damned slow ass horse just starting out.

You can get vigor in a few hours just with offense ticks and repairing walls.

Im tempted just to buy a mount with crowns. I think my time a sanity might be worth more than the crowns. And ive blown most of my gold on potions and buying items from guild traders to research for crafting.

No, absolutely they are not faster. All horses are the same speed, just cosmetic skin differences. Only way to go faster is either riding lessons once per day or buy crown riding lessons. Plus you should be able to get rapid maneuver skill within about 30 seconds after entering Cyrodiil the first time (just accept Welcome to Cyrodiil quest and choose "I don't need any training" option). You can also buy Cyrodiil's Ward set from guild traders to use while riding horse, which boosts speed.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople on December 13, 2017 9:36PM
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im tempted just to buy a mount with crowns....
    All mounts are the same speed. However you can buy Riding Lessons with Crowns (Mount Speed is one of them)

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Crown_Lesson:_Mount_Speed

If you plan to stay with this character, and don't want to level slowly day by day, a mount lessons are a viable option (I don't call my mount "Mastercard" for nothing...lol)

Mount speed goes with Character, so you'll have the speed buffs that come with mount lessons even if you swap mounts later. Hope this helps.

PS4NA
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im tempted just to buy a mount with crowns....
    All mounts are the same speed. However you can buy Riding Lessons with Crowns (Mount Speed is one of them)

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Crown_Lesson:_Mount_Speed

If you plan to stay with this character, and don't want to level slowly day by day, a mount lessons are a viable option (I don't call my mount "Mastercard" for nothing...lol)

Mount speed goes with Character, so you'll have the speed buffs that come with mount lessons even if you swap mounts later. Hope this helps.

hahahahahaha...too funny "mastercard"...yeah, I've donated more than a few crowns over the years to bump up that mount speed...

once you can get to about 30 riding speed and 20 stamina, it's pretty doable with rapids...still frustrating at times though - particularly in this age of the o-tick wherein it's so important for AP gains to get to places before the flag flips...

howdy @LittlePinkDot ...just from your posts it seems like you have a pretty strong social game...once you start grouping up, see if you can get some invites to guilds, from there you should be able to get some fairly cheap assistance with crafting gear...

crafting is a very wise investment for pvp play...as time goes on, you'll spend a good bit of time perfecting your gear setups...

potion wise the siege merchants sell cheap and useful health/stamina/magicka pots for AP...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You can buy mount upgrade scrolls, but the crown mounts themselves all start at 0 stats.

I main a Sorc and my second favorite dps is Stamblade. I'd offer tutoring (my stamblade is yellow), but I'm not anywhere near sensei status for nb.

Zerg to get yourself Vigor - but they are not your kin. Observe, silently scoff at them, and rake in the AP flipping resources and keeps on their backs. Repair walls when its downtime. Your PvP passives are also very important. Get vigor, then leave.

Go level up vigor and other skills to IV and skill lines to 50 in PvE. Using PvE gear, morphs and skills in PvP is worse than being under level. On the other hand, you can use PvP skills/gear in normal PvE dungeons without being dead weight. This helps you learn the class and gain muscle memory. Daily LFG gives a bunch of xp, undaunted credit (get up to 9 eventually for some 5/1/1 builds) and maybe some stuff to sell.

Log out near a stable for convenience, and upgrade everyday.

You can turn Tel-Var stones in the Imperial city into potion ingredients with the alchemist satchel.

Consider that a non CP campaign will have lower population, but a more even playing field stats-wise. However, these campaigns are not exactly filled with easy targets or new players like you. Vivec has the population, but often enemies have 690 more CP than you. Try both to see what you like.

You will die a lot developing your predator instinct. Learn how to make them miss next time, and the rest will flow.

Learn the low level pvp ranks, and don't attack based on title, but symbol. Some vets like to get tickled by new players and wear titles as bait - so you attack them just to get rekt.

Fear is the Mindkiller
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PC/NA/DC
    campaign: Kyne ( under level 50 )

If anyone new is interested in learning how to PvP, you can contact me in game @vamp.emily.

I mostly play in Kyne and I'm very active. You can group with me and see everything PvP has to offer. I feel I'm exceptionally good at defense, offense, strategy, ganking and supporting alliance members.

I"m always on the run so you will see plenty of action. The last few days I've been grouping with a PvE guild member and it seems like they are really enjoying it.

My offer is for new players, i'm not OP but I've been playing PvP almost every day the last 2-3 years.

Edited by vamp_emily on December 13, 2017 11:15PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)