The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Auction house. Yay or Nay

ereboz
ereboz
✭✭✭✭
I would love a global auction house. I know some people say it would ruin the market because a percentage of players would fluctuate the market. But it's not much different than what people do now visiting guild stores and buying low selling high. So would you like to see a global auction house?
Edited by ereboz on December 8, 2017 11:41PM

Auction house. Yay or Nay 400 votes

Yes
44%
GilvothYolokin_SwagonbornBelegnoleTaysaMercyKillingCpt_TeemoDarcyMardinHanokihsAnnraIruil_ESODanikatDhukathScardyFoxBarsDrembo14_ESOPrinceDamienAnkaVankaBrittany_JoyIselinAthles 179 votes
No
50%
IcyDeadPeopledriosketchMorbashCireouswayfarerxvailjohn_ESOItsMeTooAcrolasashenehb14_ESONewBlacksmurfArobainotis67SigtricDrelkagPlagueSDWhiteCoatSyndromewenchmore420b14_ESOPendrillionMadyNemesis7884 202 votes
Other...
4%
ThumbtackJakezariadennissomb16_ESOBalgostEvergnarDavorFearlessOne_2014hydrocynusTheShadowScoutGandrhulf_HarbardAkrasjelMalkorgaRunefangTommy_The_GunVapirkoKeiruNicromJunkriidVaranisAranoArmatesz 19 votes
  • ereboz
    ereboz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I would love to see a global auction house. I hate paying guild fees and traveling to several zones just to find what I'm looking for.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    FYI: ZOS has already stated that this is not something they are interested in doing. If that changes, I am sure they will let us know.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other...
    I want an Auction HORSE instead! Just because! :p;):D
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

@Gidorick ? Is that you? :smile:
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No because it would be much easier for two or three people to control the market on any rare item they wish. Controlling the market with a central auction house would be extremely simply compared to trying to do the same with the system we have now.

And it would take away a part of the game many people actually enjoy.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    ESO Economy is solid and good as it is...having a global auction house would just ruin it all of zos work and the reason of many guilds existence...let aside that the mass of unemployed guild traders...they might start to protest.
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    ereboz wrote: »
    I would love to see a global auction house. I hate paying guild fees and traveling to several zones just to find what I'm looking for.

You'd still be paying a "fee" to post. Instead of going to the guild that owns the merchant, it'll just go into a black hole.

I'd love that. That way we can beat it to death...again, and again, and again!!!!

WTDnnwE.gif
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    They will never add an auction house its been to long but they could fix this whole vendor search idea by adding a bazaar type board that allows you to search for something and see which vendor it was on then go there and buy it (All currently listed items) just like how Swg did it.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other...
    Not an "auction" house where there are actual auction going on as it will only cause rich guilds to pump-up prices on literally everything to ridiculously high prices.
    I can rather see it as an menu button (no special NPC vendor needed for that) that opens a sort of a "store" when everyone could post limited number of items to sell (so it would not break the current trading guild system).
    It would be more of an alternative to current horrible WTS / WTB spam in chat that is the only way for solo players / small guilds to trade stuff....
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other...
    As I see it its two issues, first is marked control, you could control marked for some fairly cheap items pretty easy.
    Second is slots with items to sell, you are unlikely to get more than 50 total.
    That they need is better search, think awesome guild stores.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Jpk0012
    Jpk0012
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nah... Its just a unique feature of the game. I think its cool in its own way.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Not that the poll holds any weight regardless of which way it goes. The answer is no.

FYI, the forum polls do not reflect the player base, only the forum users which hardly reflects players as a whole. Basically it is junk science, at best. Zos knows this.
  • monktoasty
    monktoasty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No..prices would just be a race to the bottom.

But..the current system does need tweaking somehow..hard to sell anything unless you pay loads of gold for a guild with a vendor in like 2 popular areas beyond that sales are hit or miss
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    The market system needs a revamp such as buy orders, but stealing ideas from children's games isn't the answer. :)
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    MrGarlic wrote: »
    The market system needs a revamp such as buy orders, but stealing ideas from children's games isn't the answer. :)

Swg was far from a childs game
  • Jarryzzt
    Jarryzzt
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. Plenty of MMOs have or do run reasonably robust and convenient auction systems.

Thus, any argument to the effect of "the auction system will ruin the in-game economy", et cetera, is specious at best. A properly designed auction system will not, especially since ESO already puts a limit on what types of items can be sold through the Guild Store. Moreover, either a centralized auction house or a centralized view (see below) would actually smooth out a lot of market inefficiency inherent in ESO as of now, for both buyers and sellers.

2. What ESO has currently reminds me a lot of a bastardized and mutilated version of the EVE trading system - with each item on sale bound to a physical location (space station in EVE, guild store stall in ESO). Except in EVE, a player can simultaneously view all listings from all sellers within something like 20 jumps away. Imagine if one could view all items in all guild stores on one screen, then pick the store to patronize on that basis, except in EVE you also then have to travel to the physical location to pick up your purchase instead of it being mailed to you.

The only non-technical reason I can think of to justify what ESO has now is that they wanted to siphon more gold out of the in-game economy by having guilds bid for specific sale locations (but did not want to maintain a specific inventory table for each). Also - immersion, I suppose, or RP, or something like that. That's not necessarily a bad way to manage things, just not a very good one because ultimately the trading system ought to be built around buyer convenience, especially in an F2P model where you want to suck people in and not present them with obstacles.

Put differently, why is it that TTC is one of the more popular add-ons for the game (and isn't the only one of its kind, either)? And if it's that popular, shouldn't it have been a feature of the product to begin with?

3. I honestly do not think chances are very high the system will change fundamentally. Too many lines of code and manhours have been invested into getting this integrated into the game to rip it all out and put in something new. Besides which, I am 110% confident one can find a number of people inside ZOS who will retort that everything is "working as intended", that they are "happy" with the way the trading system has turned out, and, in fact, that most players are "happy" with it as well.

But I do not care. My axe to grind is a different one on this issue.

Fix. The. Bloody. Stupid. Idiotic. Imbecilic. Interface.

It is literally the worst in-game trading UI I have seen in MMOs, ever. Granted, I have not played every MMO to have ever been made, and granted, it has to work on both PC and the console which introduces a whole lot of constraints and limitations. I suppose that yes, it could have been worse. But ye gods, even within the existing framework there is so much that can be done to improve user experience. Even a relatively small change like adding one more level to the drop-down search menus showing the specific items of that category listed for sale in that guild store (i.e. not just "show me all purple crafting motifs" but "show me all Hollowjack Chests pages"). Or internally "scraping" all the listed prices for a specific item in real time to immediately show you an average selling price of some kind (if TTC can do it, why can't ESO?). It's not as if I'm asking for EVE-type functionality (e.g. price and volume trade history for each item going back at least a year).

Sadly, I doubt that this is anywhere near the top of ZOS's internal priority list for the product. In my jaded personal opinion.

• Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I would love a global auction house. I know some people say it would ruin the market because a percentage of players would fluctuate the market. But it's not much different than what people do now visiting guild stores and buying low selling high. So would you like to see a global auction house?

Youre not going to get a fair shake here on the forums. Those here are either heavily involved in running said Trade Guilds or simply buy into the misinformation about how things actually work in an Auction House.

Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Inarre
    Inarre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    You could read past forum threads, but without an auction house more people can make money through merchanting is the short answer.

Signed by neither a trade guild owner nor a player delusional about how the world works.
    Edited by Inarre on December 9, 2017 2:11AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Youre not going to get a fair shake here on the forums. Those here are either heavily involved in running said Trade Guilds or simply buy into the misinformation about how things actually work in an Auction House.

I spent years playing the Auction House in World of Warcraft. I am quite pleased that ESO does not have such a thing.
  • Dracofyre
    Dracofyre
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    i didnt like that way it handles.
    it preventing many other guilds trying to sell, i would say this is "GUILD KILLER", with many former members are tired of waiting for leaders to get one so they can sell, they are leaving for other guilds.

also it is the worst auction format i ever seen in 2 decades of MMO, ESO dont even have search format, thay make you scroll down hundreds of useless copies, pages of pages of clones. they kill playing time by looking for specific items more than 30 mins with 5-6 vendors.
    ENOUGH! i dont understand why devs are using outdated code tech. that no excuse for soon to be 2018. all other online game devs look at this and it is embarrishment for ESO.
    Edited by Dracofyre on December 9, 2017 2:13AM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    What’s the point. If they did add one it would only be for eso Plus or crown purchases.

At this point ... everything’s being monetized so why ask
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Cpt_Teemo wrote: »
    MrGarlic wrote: »

Swg was far from a childs game

That's fair, but I assumed the OP was imagining another game. One that is more attractive to children, that I won't mention.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • Zyjin
    Zyjin
    ✭✭
    No
    I really like the dynamics of guild traders, it creates this interesting economy and allows for guilds focused on trading.

So i wouldn't want to take that away.
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    4155603.jpg
    YouTube | Twitter | Twitch | The Differently Geared

Mistakes must be carelessly planned.
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another one of these?

Why do people keep making these threads, it's not going to happen.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Or we have seen the disasters that readily happen in games that feature an auction house and don't want to add another problem area into this game. Check the forums of games that have an auction house and it is rare that you can get past the first page without seeing complaints about someone monopolizing some particular part of the market. With an auction house it is very easy to do.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I like ESO guild stores.
    “Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • drmambo199
    No
    I would like a better search system for the guild traders, but I like the system over all more than your typical auction house.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    TTC acts as an auction house on PC. The economy is fine. Every other MMO on the market has an auction house. Their economies are fine. The argument that AH = ruined economy is nonsense.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other...
    This again?

Do auction threads go on a monthly cycle or something?