Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Is that normal?

Ximinetto
Ximinetto
✭✭✭
Hi, my second post for today here, and i have a question related to pvp,or dueling. My Argonian is s magicka sorcerer, and i did wome duels eith different players, but i lose them all, specially versus players with 2 handed weapon, i do not understand cus they are less level than me and they kill me in two hits. Is that normal? I know that mages at distance are better and once i get close to the fighter, i have half the duel lost. But for example my char is lvl 12 and i fight a lvl 8 khajiit with 2 handed. Well, he killed me in two hits. My Argonian have full light armor, full points into magicka and restoration staff. Why the hell a khajiit with 4 levels less win the duel? Is that normal? In my defense i need to say that maybe he have OP gear cus my attacks only take a milimeter of his health bar. So maybe he have rare gear under the costume i see him wear. But maybe i am wrong and i suck at dueling. Any expllanation?
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is very possible that the people you are playing against are experienced players who are levelling up a new character, and as such have gear crafted to make that process easier.

Two handed builds also excel in PVP, given their burst damage, and pressure.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe instead of asking why a lower level beat you, ask yourself what you can do to not lose. Are you blocking, dodge rolling, interrupting, healing? Why is a poor question, something a child would ask, ask instead how, how I can get better, how did they beat me and how can I stop that from happening again.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on December 6, 2017 4:23AM
  • Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe instead of asking why a lower level beat you, ask yourself what you can do to not lose. Are you blocking, dodge rolling, interrupting, healing? Why is a poor question, something a child would ask, ask instead how, how I can get better, how did they beat me and how can I stop that from happening again.

Yeah the answer is to create a new stamina char, i suck at magicka ones. So right now i will create a tankish char, low defense chars are not for me.
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ximinetto wrote: »

Yeah the answer is to create a new stamina char, i suck at magicka ones. So right now i will create a tankish char, low defense chars are not for me.

Magicka characters tend to rely heavily on shielding and healing for defense, if you aren't super great at actively playing your defensive tools then you are definitely going to feel super squishy, especially considering how little physical damage reduction light armour provides.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭
    Sixty5 wrote: »

Magicka characters tend to rely heavily on shielding and healing for defense, if you aren't super great at actively playing your defensive tools then you are definitely going to feel super squishy, especially considering how little physical damage reduction light armour provides.

Yeah i know, i see other mages using it. Maybe i should consider to not create a new char and continue my Argonian. But it is sick to lose EVERY duel. Maybe i should level up more.
  • r3turn2s3nd3r
    r3turn2s3nd3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is very possible that the people you are playing against are experienced players who are levelling up a new character, and as such have gear crafted to make that process easier.

It is also possible OP ran into a 'twink' (WoW term). There are max CP players that have made characters and deliberately level to, say, level 8 and stop doing any content that will level them any further. They will allocate all their CP and then craft / farm level 8 gear and then gold it out. Combine all this with battle scaling and that level 8 character in the right hands will embarrass even CP400+ players.
  • Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭

It is also possible OP ran into a 'twink' (WoW term). There are max CP players that have made characters and deliberately level to, say, level 8 and stop doing any content that will level them any further. They will allocate all their CP and then craft / farm level 8 gear and then gold it out. Combine all this with battle scaling and that level 8 character in the right hands will embarrass even CP400+ players.

So,whatever class i play, i will be ass-kicked? That is not right. Well my last chance is to unlock the champion system and try to do "something" cus i want to do pve,but pvp too, so i need to question: how are Argonian sorcerers in mass pvp? My plan is to use a mix of dark magic,daedric summoning and restoration staff on the 2 bars.
  • r3turn2s3nd3r
    r3turn2s3nd3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    So,whatever class i play, i will be ass-kicked? That is not right. Well my last chance is to unlock the champion system and try to do "something" cus i want to do pve,but pvp too, so i need to question: how are Argonian sorcerers in mass pvp? My plan is to use a mix of dark magic,daedric summoning and restoration staff on the 2 bars.

Not necessarily. It depends on 'what' you run into.

If you run into another player that has also just started the game and is at similar level it will come down purely to gear / skill.

If you run into a CP690 player who is leveling a new alt, then, yes you will be at a disadvantage due to the fact that they can spend their CP instantly on a new character even at level 3.

If you run into a 'twink', you will be at a very serious disadvantage as they have built that character like that with the sole intent of (and i use the word loosely here) 'exploiting' battle scaling.

Unfortunately, there's no way to easily tell if a level 8 (or whatever) is a 'true' level 8 or a level 8 with 690CP backing it and wearing all gold gear.

Lastly, it is very important to keep your gear level as close as possible to your character level due to the way battle scaling works. The further your gear level is from your character level, the weaker you get.
  • duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not every low-level character is some "baddass" gazillion CP player in disguise.

It's a really a matter of who you want to play as. If you're so, so, so impatient you'll end up levelling up your character rather fast either killing zombies or running three dolmens in Alik's Desert at nouseum (mostly done by oldies who want to level up alts quickly)... but you'll miss all the fun of simple discovering game, your own skill lines provided by class and race (thus trying out what works best for you), and collecting skyshards that give you skill points (unlocking skills on your abilities)

Keep in mind that hitting level 50 and unlocking CP does not automatically make you "ironclad". and "baddas" in combat.

I'd say take your time if it's your first steps in ESO. Don't get discouraged by getting killed. Make sure you have lots of soul gems..and practise you skills.. When you find out what skills "sit" with you best..then you can go to rededication shrine and relocate skill points to make the build more effective.

You will find many good build/fight guides for each class and race here.. but, keep in mind, again, that this or that build may not be your best 'forte" and might not agree with your play style. Just take your time... try out things.

Impatience is a bad adviser. ;)
    Edited by duendology on December 6, 2017 8:12PM
    PC/NA
    - Redguard StamBlade dps ["bowtard" crafty girl who likes spinning with daggers too.]
    - Breton SorcMag dps [She's got an identity crisis, but I believe in her.]
    - Dunmer Templar dps/healer [she's a healer, then again she likes inferno staff too...]
    And..
    - High Elf SorcMag dps [It's quite possible his daddy was a Nord.]

I am an old-fashioned Goth
  • Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭
    I will take that advice. Well is normal in part, this game is 4 years old, and i just started. There are most players with CP unlocked and epic gear.
  • duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game is not a rabbit..won't run away. :p
    You don't have to "keep up" with anyone here, you know. You're not "behind" anything or anyone. You can't think like that!

Those who "unlocked" the epic gear they too were once "newbies" and spent quite a time playing too..and now:
    1. they belong to guilds and run with them to "unlock" some good pieces
    2. and/or have max traits researched to craft the said gear,
    3. or have someone from the guilds crafted the items for them.
    and now they reap what they sow. ;)

Really take your time. while you're levelling up they do not get somewhat even more "powerful". It's not Skyrim where you can practically become a killing machine god. ;) Like I said, you don't need to speed up. Because even when you basically go for "fast" levelling, you'll end up with no skill-points and without really knowing which skills fits well your fight style. Take your time, test possibly all skills. Of course some are useful than others...so getting familiarise yourself with build guides (you currently aspire to: race/class) is also helpful.. but these mean to be guidelines.. you'll know if it's the thing for you while practising fighting mobs/run delves/world bosses/ and other players.

My advice also is to find a friendly guild with laid-back people and avoid "leaderboard junkies" ;)
    Edited by duendology on December 6, 2017 8:06PM
    PC/NA
    - Redguard StamBlade dps ["bowtard" crafty girl who likes spinning with daggers too.]
    - Dunmer Templar dps/healer [she's a healer, then again she likes inferno staff too...]
    And..

• Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, i also created a new thread talking about the dps of the Sorc compared to the dps of a Templar, i feel inferior using my Sorc dps in comparison of the Templar dps. Is that difference normal?
  • Caleb_Kadesh
    Caleb_Kadesh
    ✭✭✭
    duendology wrote: »

Impatience is a bad adviser. ;)

This is my new favorite saying.
  • duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine too...a version of a different one "Haste is a bad adviser". These two are unquestionably related. ;)
    PC/NA
    And..

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, i also created a new thread talking about the dps of the Sorc compared to the dps of a Templar, i feel inferior using my Sorc dps in comparison of the Templar dps. Is that difference normal?

It depends on what you are doing. Generally speaking, a maxed magicka sorceror will beat the DPS of a maxed magicka templar hands down. However, you're talking low levels, where a magicka templar's DPS skills are much easier to spam that a magicka sorceror's skills. So with the templar being easier to use, I'm not surprised you are seeing a difference.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its to early for you to duel. You need to learn a lot about your character, you need to feel it, you need to get proper gear and some CP's. PvP in this game (and duels are part of it) are one of the hardest things to master. Even when youre perfect at PvE, PvP is totaly diferent world, you will loose a lot at begining, you need to embrace every loss and learn from it, only then you will became stronger. Yeah this sounds stupid but as you already know "no pain no gain".
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge