The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is it possible to nerf vMA based on ping?

ellettsrwb17_ESO
ellettsrwb17_ESO
Soul Shriven
I can understand people playing in America can easily stroll through vMA on very low ping however for those of us who are forced to play on high ping it is literally impossible to beat.

Is it even possible to try and balance so that everyone has a chance of beating vMA? either that or make it possible to get the weapons another way, cause it kinda sucks that these weapons are gated behind a low ping requirement.
  • Tigeracer
    Tigeracer
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel your pain, mate. Being from Australia, my average ping is between 249 and 320, with spikes over 800 when the action heats up.
    Despite this grievance, I think it makes us better players in the end. I personally haven’t completed vMA yet (still up to stage 8), but I don’t want the handicap.
  • Judas Helviaryn
    Judas Helviaryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As an American who started this game with satellite internet, vMA is -extremely- doable with 300-800 ping. No joke, no lie, 800 was my low, and it was exceptionally playable.

Now, 1400-2000?
    Absolutely not.
  • ellettsrwb17_ESO
    ellettsrwb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Yea I play from West Australia, my ping averages around 300-400 which makes it hard but that isn't just the issue though, as playing on American servers the ping constantly spikes. When it spikes you basically just die, no way to recover as things will one shot as you are unable to avoid it.

Also Judas, the fact you think playing on 800 ping is extremely doable makes me think you have never actually played on 800 ping. You cannot even bar swap effectively on 800 ping, you will constantly lag out and it just simply wont swap bars, completely screwing your rotation.

Even if vMA stayed the same, there should be a way to be able to obtain the weapons for people who simply cannot beat vMA for reasons out of their control.
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjevpxw-qQ0

This is a brazilian player doing maelstrom with +200 ping.

Your argument is invalid.
    “Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • HatchetHaro
    HatchetHaro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like an L2P issue.

Scrap that; that is an L2P issue.
    Best Argonian NA and I will fight anyone for it

17 Argonians

6x IR, 6x GH, 7x TTT, 4x GS, 4x DB, 1x PB, 3x SBS, 1x Unchained
  • ellettsrwb17_ESO
    ellettsrwb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    You're joking right? There is a huge difference between Australia and Brazil. Australia is still 1.5 - 2x the ping of Brazil and constantly spikes because we are on the other side of the world. I wouldn't really mind if I could sit on 200 ping with no ping spikes.
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm
    Milvan wrote: »

Have you ever dodge rolled a one-shot mechanic and on your screen you were clear from the red for well over a second. Then you were dead?

Happens a lot to Aussies.
  • Judas Helviaryn
    Judas Helviaryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yea I play from West Australia, my ping averages around 300-400 which makes it hard but that isn't just the issue though, as playing on American servers the ping constantly spikes. When it spikes you basically just die, no way to recover as things will one shot as you are unable to avoid it.

Also Judas, the fact you think playing on 800 ping is extremely doable makes me think you have never actually played on 800 ping. You cannot even bar swap effectively on 800 ping, you will constantly lag out and it just simply wont swap bars, completely screwing your rotation.

Even if vMA stayed the same, there should be a way to be able to obtain the weapons for people who simply cannot beat vMA for reasons out of their control.

Well you're wrong on the barswapping. You can indeed do it just like anything else, granted you're not experiencing extreme jitter. Wish I could say I had time recorded with Hughesnet, but they had a nice ol' 15GB monthly data cap, and I had no reason to suspect I would be required to prove my tenure with their "wonderful" service online.

800 ping is exceptionally playable, even competitive so long as you build around your weaknesses, such as crowd control and break-free mechanics, but you have to have the mindset first.

Know why I stuck with ESO through it? It was all I could play online. Nothing else played nice with sattie.

Now again, I was never at 800 during the last year before finally getting cable in this area, I was averaging 1400-2k, all the way up to 3-4k in Cyrodiil.

I'm saying this for your sake, not mine. You can DO vMA. Stop looking for a handicap, build around your issues, and get to it.

EDIT: I actually found an old video from when I was playing around with both Bandicam and FRAPS. The resolution is god awful, because I was trying to reduce the size of the file as much as possible for transfer.

This was on a typically bad day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CFSCNYHNPY&feature=youtu.be
    Edited by Judas Helviaryn on November 24, 2017 5:02AM
  • DoTHurts
    DoTHurts
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely makes it hard, ping of low 400's today on vMA. Got nMA sorted, started vet and can't get passed 3rd round of 1st arena at the moment. No room for mistakes with a good ping, 1 bung bar swap and it's good night.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ping truly affects your playing experience, denying that is not really realistic :)

This being said, I live in Asia and have a ping between 300 and 500 ms with spikes at 999+. I can do VMA (dont have my flawless yet but this is cause I mainly PVP).

Stage 9 will be a true pain with your ping. The fight is not very hard but it does not allow for any mistake.... so the first times you will die a lot from you and your ping. But in time you'll learn to deal with it.

When I travel to europe, I find vma and vet content quite easier compared to what it is from asia.
    Easier to manage survival and higher DPS (in Asia, when the red circle appears on your screen, you're already taking damage, happens quite often)

In the end the ping makes you a better player. You have to be reactive to survive but the learning curve is stiff.

Edited by Morgul667 on November 24, 2017 4:50AM
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol , they won't understand .
  • Krayzie
    Krayzie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had countless flawless runs ruined because of terrible lag on Xbox NA
    I'm a PVE roleplayer concerned about my vampires stage 4 skin tone and keep getting load screens so I came here to distract people from major issues with a rant thread about my characters cosmetic appearance.
  • monktoasty
    monktoasty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the problem doesn't effect them it can't possibly be true.

• Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think not just vma, nerf whole game based on ping for the whole game (imagine cyrodiil and trials with issue, people could play in their own timezone)
    Give us aussies and kiwis an fighting chance
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Runefang wrote: »
    I'm

Have you ever dodge rolled a one-shot mechanic and on your screen you were clear from the red for well over a second. Then you were dead?

Hahaha, the latency at the bottom is white. I never see that. Like, ever.

I mean, I've completed vMA on multiple characters, it's very doable on 300ish ping, but I do find that 400+ things become very broken. Time lost in bar swapping is just insane. But maybe that's just because I'm used to 300 ping and not 400 ping.
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have to agree AUS ping is high... my ping is 200 -300 sometimes 400 and there its sooo dammmmm hard to finish VMSA .. you don't understand how HOW many time you put shield on and it didn't worl, you block and it dose not work .. or everything just fezzes everything just stops and your are running around and then boom dead...

or you bar swap bar swap bar swap BAR SWAP nothing ... dead ....

poison stage BAHAHAHAHAHAH ohh my god... you get poison you have full health and shield you enter the cleansing pool you die BAHAHAHA .... the last boss is about to enrage the lighting guy dose not put up a shield you die ..

that's the time you just turn it off there is nothing you can do to finish it

Edited by ForsakenSin on November 24, 2017 5:59AM
    "By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."

• ellettsrwb17_ESO
    ellettsrwb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Yea the difference between nMA and vMA is just absurd lol. One is like a solo delve and the other is like a vet trial.

If my ping could stay at a constant 300 I would be ok with that, hard but you get used to the timing and can effectively calculate time between each skill/bar swap. The problem is once you get to 400+ the timing often gets thrown out by spikes and rubber banding which just makes it pure luck based over skill/mechanic based.

I have already stated I don't mind if they keep vMA the way it is so long as they provide an alternate way to get the weapons.
  • Mirelurk
    Mirelurk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wish they'd give us an Oceanic server so we could get rid of the ping [snip].

[Edited to remove inappropriate content/hate speech]
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on November 24, 2017 2:56PM
    Knights of Nirn | Daggerfall Covenant | PC | NA server

Swamplurk | V16 | Breton | Sorceror
    Morass | V16 | Breton | Templar
    Knightmire | V16 | Imperial | Dragonknight
    Catagory | V9 | Khajit | Nightblade

• MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest issue I have with high ping (Kiwi here) is having to be methodical with key presses to ensure a skill has initiated. (Especially shields or bar swap. The result of failure being death and a wasted soul gem and added frustration.)

This has the net effect of slowing down attacks which of course, leads to lower DPS.

Light attack weaving, while possible, is very difficult to get right, is much slower and won't lead to much higher DPS such as low ping would allow.

High ping DOES make end-game content that much harder. Not impossible, but much tougher and less forgiving.

Some ZOS programming love for high ping users would be very welcome. I am not sure how this could be achieved though. I doubt it could and be fair to everyone.

I accept that I will never be an 'end game user' and grace any leaderboards. :(
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭

trying to school someone on the internet and then making claims like 'you will constantly lag out' with 800 ping? Someone doesnt understand how the internet works. if you had a constant 800 ping you wouldnt lag out. it wont be as responsive as it could be, but it would not lag out. not in this game.

if they did it with satellite internet, its doable for you. because satellite internet really sux for latency and speed. though speed has improved dramatically
  • Beastnas
    Beastnas
    ✭✭✭
    While I feel your pain, there's simply no fair way to implement something like this. It's already a problem in certain shooters where people intentionally limit their bandwidth and warp around to gain an advantage.
  • GrigorijMalahevich
    GrigorijMalahevich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    haha gitgud
    PC/EU 800 CP.
    PvP MagSorc.
    Pedro Gonzales - Mag Sorc EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/CB6j6
    Valera Progib - Stam Sorc DC vMA Flawless Conqueror clear https://i.imgur.com/eYgpXG2.png
    Valera Pozhar - Mag DK EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/jrsuK
    Valera Podlechi - Mag Templar AD vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/N0BYq
  • Ainikki
    Ainikki
    Tannus15 wrote: »
    Runefang wrote: »
    I'm

Hahaha, the latency at the bottom is white. I never see that. Like, ever.

I mean, I've completed vMA on multiple characters, it's very doable on 300ish ping, but I do find that 400+ things become very broken. Time lost in bar swapping is just insane. But maybe that's just because I'm used to 300 ping and not 400 ping.

Welcome in my World on Console^^
    Long Loadingscreens, DC's, Lag, Barswap issues, light Attack issues and so on
    Xbox One EU / Gt. Veiija

Youtube Channel:
    https://youtube.com/channel/UC_0ybKq0vhYT4MiN7rH6nMQ

vAA HM/ vHel Ra HM / vSO HM / vMol HM / vHof HM / vAS HM -clear
  • Zagnut123Zagnut123
    Zagnut123Zagnut123
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can understand people playing in America can easily stroll through vMA on very low ping however for those of us who are forced to play on high ping it is literally impossible to beat.

Is it even possible to try and balance so that everyone has a chance of beating vMA? either that or make it possible to get the weapons another way, cause it kinda sucks that these weapons are gated behind a low ping requirement.

I play with alot of aussies that are very proficient at it. In fact son of the best raiders on the NA server are Aussie. It going to be harder then American ping but not by much honestly. As long as your not having constant spike then you should be ok if you are the your isp is bad.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play on NA from EU and have 220+ latency with very frequent 700 spikes, and the later stages of vMA become really tricky because weapon swapping fails 1/3 of the time, liquid lightning refuses to go off, I'm caught in hard casting frag animation, although I've gotten the proc sound, etc., but despite all that it is doable, definitely more frustrating, but still doable.
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirelurk wrote: »

Mirelurk wrote: »

I'm sorry, but we, latin americans, should be top priority. Our internet is much worse than Austria's. BTW, there is already one japanese server.
    “Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • Tigeracer
    Tigeracer
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Milvan there are no kangaroos in Austria.
  • GlorphNoldorin
    GlorphNoldorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is possible to complete vma at higher pings (400+) I have a ping of 330+ from west australia. I have done it on multiple toons but it soon gets very hard if you are using anything but a sorc. But flawless I would think you would really need the stars to align and to be honest it is a miserable place at those pings. I would really like to see a video of someone get flawless with a ping of 350+....please someone? Best i got was a single death on round 5 at ~340-360 ping
  • Alexandrious
    Alexandrious
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like an L2P issue.

Scrap that; that is an L2P issue.

I agree. L2P issue. Move along folks.

All The Kek
  • Alexandrious
    Alexandrious
    ✭✭✭
    MrGarlic wrote: »
    The biggest issue I have with high ping (Kiwi here) is having to be methodical with key presses to ensure a skill has initiated. (Especially shields or bar swap. The result of failure being death and a wasted soul gem and added frustration.)

This has the net effect of slowing down attacks which of course, leads to lower DPS.

Light attack weaving, while possible, is very difficult to get right, is much slower and won't lead to much higher DPS such as low ping would allow.

High ping DOES make end-game content that much harder. Not impossible, but much tougher and less forgiving.

Some ZOS programming love for high ping users would be very welcome. I am not sure how this could be achieved though. I doubt it could and be fair to everyone.

I accept that I will never be an 'end game user' and grace any leaderboards. :(

I have 60 to 90 ping and 3000 soul gems using a magSorc pet build. Will I be ok? :*

All The Kek
    Edited by Alexandrious on November 24, 2017 10:44PM