The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Healer/DD insight needed pls

Omnia
Omnia
✭✭✭
I am an individual that suffers from back/neck/arm degenerative disease and trauma… I am on my last ditch effort to stick with ESO.

No, this is not a goodbye thread. And no, you can’t have my stuff. (Yet…)

I mainly DPS, but I have also tanked in the past. Yes, I can AC, but it’s not perfect. I would categorize myself as average. (I average ST @ 18K-28K dps, depending on the day.)

I have been a member since 9/5/2013 and have played off and on over the years. One big thing that keeps me from playing at a more competitive level (or at all these days) is (I think) animation cancelling...
NOW BEFORE YOU SAY.. OH NO, not another AC thread. It's not really...I am not asking for it to change.
It's that after about 30min-1hr of animation cancelling I'm rekt. When I say that I think AC is the problem, it is because when I am running around open world, easy peasy pve, I’m fine. I can even hold my own in pvp. I’m talking about running trials/back to back dungeons/DSA/MA etc. Concentrated periods of time where AC is needed. (Coincidentally, I have cleared vMA multiple times. I’m calling it luck.)

My play time in ESO has dwindled significantly over the years because it’s just too taxing. I say this as a healthy individual that does strength training/cardio/PT a minimum 3 to 4 days a week. I also have all the ergonomic equipment at my desk as well as a gaming mouse etc.
If I play any other game, I am fine. Of course, over time they wear me down, but they are not as immediate as ESO. The longer I play the worse my weaving and AC becomes.

TL; DR

Question for all the healers that have also DPS'ed:… Is healing any easier than DD’ing from an animation cancelling/weaving standpoint?

I get that occasionally HA weaving will be needed for resources, but is it less intense with the AC than being a damage dealer? I am asking here because I do not want to pay for race change etc. on existing characters, nor do I want to level up a healer, if in the end it will not matter. And, I wanted more than one experienced opinion.

Basically, I am looking for someone to tell me:

A. If your situational awareness is good, your AC ability won’t matter as much as a healer. Here is my suggestion for the easiest healing class and why –

OR

B. If you can’t keep up AC/weaving for more than 30 mins, you should scrap the healer idea. (Now, can I have your stuff? lul)

Hoping I get responses from those who have completed Vet 4man+ content. TY!
~Omnia
Edited by Omnia on November 21, 2017 11:31PM
  • Judas Helviaryn
    Judas Helviaryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry this is something you have to deal with. It's hard to imagine the hoops you and others in the same boat jump through on a regular basis.

Can't say I have much healing experience in vet content, I've always mained DPS, occasionally as an off-tank. Healing didn't seem as intensive as DPS from my limited PoV.

I'm sure you've explored less technically intensive DPS options, but I'd be curious to see what you currently use! I use a particular build that was designed to be used with a high, unsteady latency.

Might be that we could figure something out to keep you DPSing, and avoid getting shoehorned into one role indefinitely.

I'm currently at work, replies might be slow over the next few days. =P
  • AtraisMachina
    AtraisMachina
    ✭✭✭
    Idk where people get this whole endgame players ac thing comes from. And doing this “ac/weaving” isnt a thing. I think your issues come from a lack of knowledge and awareness of your current capabilities. If you have issues weaving light attacks in between skills im sorry that sucks. But i dont really see how its physically exhausting to click your mouse between hitting keyboard buttons. And again i swap cancal one skill on all my dps rotations. Which is a button you press anyway so again not more physically exhausting that spamming keyboard buttons.

Obviously guessing but your likley suffering from the same issue that 95% of people stuck at midgame are. And that is a refusal or lack of time to spend working on a FULL REAL ROTATION. That mean you know what button to push everytime before the next one. No buff managing no dot managing. A real full all the buttons you need to press in order rotation.

You need to spend multiple hours on a target dummy. So boring to some players that they literally refuse to progress because of it. But it must be done.

Ps again animation cancelling is not even a thing so yea. Pvp players use it and players who cant light weave use it. And sometimes when i need to pop a shield quickly. Literally the only time i ever animation cancel
    Edited by AtraisMachina on November 22, 2017 12:08AM
  • Omnia
    Omnia
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses.

@AtraisMachina , I am glad to hear you do not have neck/back and arm trauma, if you ever do...let me know how gaming is working out for you, regardless of the amount of button pushes. :wink: I also cannot spend hours on a stupid target skeleton crunching rotations. It's not my knowledge that is limiting me, but if you need to assume so, that is your prerogative. Also, I did indicate that I *thought* it must be the AC/weave. It could be that ESO is just not for me... and that's fine. My question was if healers had an easier time/ less weaving/cancelling btw.

@Judas Helviaryn I've never been bitter about the game mechanics, just disappointed that it hinders me. I do what I can, and call it good enough. I have even tried to use an Xbox controller and relearn the game, but it didn't work out in the end.

I tend to lean more towards stamina characters as the weaving seems easier, but I pretty much have one of everything. Lately I have been giving my Stamplar another go, as it was one of my favorites in the past. Specifically Xynode's "Simplar" build. Mostly because it has so many FG skills there aren't as many active rotation skills to worry about. That, and I did manage to get a few vMA bows. :smile:
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Firstly, you don't have to go for the full on ultra-dps animation cancelling. Swapping to a medium weave rotation won't lose you much DPS, and is a hell of a lot easier on you and your fingers.

Also, I'd ask if you are doing any form of hand/wrist exercises? As someone who sits in front of a keyboard for both work and play I can definitely attest to them being helpful for dealing with pains and discomfort.

Apart from that, healing and tanking are definitely less mechanically taxing roles, given that they are more about which ability to cast at any given time, rather than perform this rotation with 3 actions every single second
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    IMO, yes, healing can be more relaxing. The physical (twitch) need to animation cancel is not its focus and contributing DPS is entirely up to you - nice but no one expects you to do it.

OTOH, situational awareness and concentration is on a different level than just min-maxing your DPS rotation. Healing is all about anticipating the expected and reacting to the unexpected. That takes concentration. I suspect some would find that actually more demanding and exhausting than DPSing but I don't.

• Omnia
    Omnia
    ✭✭✭
    @Sixty5 Yeah, I gave up trying to go for the ultra-dps long ago. The problem is, even my medium weave has become difficult and pain inducing after a short time. It seems like the better I get (physically, irl) the less tolerance I have for ESO. And that just may be my deciding factor.

I do have a full set of neck/shoulder/arm exercises I run through everyday and I also limit my desk time. It is definitely a good idea for anyone that puts in a lot of game time!

@Iselin Thanks for an honest answer. I think you explained the "physical twitch" better than I did, so thanks for giving me the words to explain it. I guess if the "twitch" is not needed as much on a healer, I can always try it and see if I can think on my feet. :blush:

Edited by Omnia on November 22, 2017 1:15AM
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With my Templar healer the only times I feel I need to animation cancel is when I am in a group that isn't pulling enough DPS so I have to pitch in or those "oh $#!+" moments. The buffs I try to keep up are long enough I can get through my rotation without them running out. Many of the fights have a lull between attacks/mechanics where you can get a heavy attack in to help manage resources.

I have problems with high DPS because my fingers refuse to do what my brain tells them to (same reason I am no good on piano) but I really don't have any problems keeping a good rotation with healing.

@AtraisMachina light weaving is animation canceling and when people have pain in their hands/arms/fingers any prolonged movement can be exhausting. The thing about pain is it will wear you down and out.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Healers have the easiest role in the game by far. No need to weave at all. Templar healers are particularly easy mode.

If you feel like you need a break just press shards and breath of life every now and again on a high magicka regen build. That's sufficient to get a pug through easy vet dungeons.

Also consider a magsorc DD. Use your dots plus heavy attack - don't weave. You'll still hit 20k dps.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My healing templar uses very little animation canceling. Healing is very reactive - responding to what their team needs and how the fight is going. Yes, there are skills she tends to string together in sequences but it is very fluid and flexible rather than a real 'rotation' like high damage dps try to run. Quick thinking and quick responsive reacting, situational awareness, yes. Rigid rotations requiring animation canceling, no.

In fact the only time she really uses any animation canceling is when she gets stuck with a boss in her face and has to really defend herself. Then it is Channeled Focus and light attack weaving with Puncturing Sweeps. The light weaving brings her ultimate up quickly and produces more damage for the magicka.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Omnia
    Omnia
    ✭✭✭
    @kargen27 and @Runefang thank you both for your opinions/thoughts and ideas.

I will give healing a try or dust off my Sorc and see if I can find a happy place. If not, I appreciate everyone's input!

@AcadianPaladin I think we posted at the same time, but thank you as well...that was exactly what I was hoping a healer would say, but seeing as I have never healed, I wasn't sure myself. I guess there is a glimmer of hope!

Edited by Omnia on November 22, 2017 1:48AM
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Healers have a much easier way to go. More like hearding cats cause you have to watch everyone, but less stress on the buttons.

What you might try is a mouse with programmable buttons. Or a programmable keyboard. Something where you can set the one of the keys to a mouse click. Something to take stress off the constant clicking. For some reason I can type for hours but after a bit of clicking my hand starts to cramp.
    Edited by vyndral13preub18_ESO on November 22, 2017 2:14AM
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried any classes/builds that don't need to rely heavily on weaving for DPS? I'm thinking something like a DK heavy attack build (cast a few AoEs and hold down the attack button with a Lightning Staff), a pet MagSorc, or perhaps a Warden pet build. I think breaking 20k DPS with these builds is more than possible without having to AC/weave attacks which is more than what you need for most Vet 4-man content.

If I was being honest in a lot of vet dungeons I get lazy and don't bother weaving half of the time, either that or my ping is so high it makes it impossible to weave/AC anyways.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • Judas Helviaryn
    Judas Helviaryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Idk where people get this whole endgame players ac thing comes from. And doing this “ac/weaving” isnt a thing. I think your issues come from a lack of knowledge and awareness of your current capabilities. If you have issues weaving light attacks in between skills im sorry that sucks. But i dont really see how its physically exhausting to click your mouse between hitting keyboard buttons. And again i swap cancal one skill on all my dps rotations. Which is a button you press anyway so again not more physically exhausting that spamming keyboard buttons.

Obviously guessing but your likley suffering from the same issue that 95% of people stuck at midgame are. And that is a refusal or lack of time to spend working on a FULL REAL ROTATION. That mean you know what button to push everytime before the next one. No buff managing no dot managing. A real full all the buttons you need to press in order rotation.

You need to spend multiple hours on a target dummy. So boring to some players that they literally refuse to progress because of it. But it must be done.

Ps again animation cancelling is not even a thing so yea. Pvp players use it and players who cant light weave use it. And sometimes when i need to pop a shield quickly. Literally the only time i ever animation cancel

That was a mildly offensive way of calling the OP a liar, Altrais. You may not see why one person's issue is indeed a real issue, but that simply denotes ignorance on your part, not invalidity on theirs.

@Omnia , the build I use, I have so far only made workable with a magSorc and stam sorc, and compared to meta builds, the magSorc in particular feels less technically intensive than your average meta magSorc PVE DPS.

If you're on PC/NA, try to catch me with a letter or invite around these hours during the day. We can see if this one will work for you, and what can change.
  • Ruusa
    Ruusa
    ✭✭✭
    Hello! I have carpal tunnel syndrome that sometimes is better and sometimes worse, I can understand your problem. I dps, tank and heal vet trials.

Only reason healers have to weave light attacks is to proc crusher enchantment, you dont need to weave them for extra dps. My healer rarely does heavy attacks at all as her sustain is good enough with cp's and cost reduction glyphs, I can spam heals until eternity and not run out of magicka. My healer is an altmer templar with the usual spc + worm / mending sets.

If you coordinate the crusher enchantment with your group, or use lightning blockade to proc it, then you dont really need to light attack weave. And you dont really need that in dungeons and normal trials anyways, just vet trials. So yes healing is far more easier from the animation canceling point.

Most important is to relax, take breaks and stretch regularly though, but you know that. Also set up custom keys so that those keys you need most often are easy to reach.

For dps some rotations and builds are easier than others. I like the stam DK rotation as its just left mouse click - ability button 1 - left mouse click, ability button 2, left mouse click - ability button 3 - left mouse click - ability button 4 - left mouse click - ability button 5 - barswap and same thing again with longer mouse button pressing. Almost can do that with two fingers if I dont have to dodge or anything. And this does 30k+ dps easily.

Pet sorc heavy attack build is also easy. You can do about 30k dps with both pets and bound aegis, that has so many toggles that you dont have to press many buttons, and heavy attacks make the rotation slower. Bars for this are: clench, prey, pet1, pet2, bound aegis, meteor, backbar: liquid lightning, blockade, toggles again, destro ulti
    PC EU
    Erweka - altmer magicka sorc DD
    Varona Uveth - dunmer DK tank

Redfur Trading & Redfur Exchange
  • cavakthestampede
    cavakthestampede
    ✭✭✭
    yea like I said ive heard all this *** a thousand time from people. i know 11 year olds that pull high dps and 65 year old with arthrits that pull high numbers. you can whine about you issues and whalop in self pity but you not gunna get any here. good end game healers weave just as much as dps its just a mind set. if you wanna you can.

Disgusting attitude. Reported.
    Edited by cavakthestampede on November 22, 2017 5:17AM
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yea like I said ive heard all this *** a thousand time from people. i know 11 year olds that pull high dps and 65 year old with arthrits that pull high numbers. you can whine about you issues and whalop in self pity but you not gunna get any here. good end game healers weave just as much as dps its just a mind set. if you wanna you can.

Never reported anybody about anything online before. Enjoy being first.
  • agingerinohio
    agingerinohio
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to suggest playing with a gaming controller. Xbox or Logitech controllers to be exact. I have carpal tunnel and use one. Never experience pain. Try it out and see if it works for you.

As for healing, I do weave and sometimes AC depending on the situation. For an easier to play DD, what others have said above is definitely stamina dk heavy attack build.
  • Judas Helviaryn
    Judas Helviaryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

When you understand what neuro-degenerative diseases do to your body, you'll slowly realize that it's nothing like arthritis, and fine motor control can be just as much of a challenge as grasping proper grammar seems to be for you.

Disappointing.
    Edited by Judas Helviaryn on November 22, 2017 11:58PM
  • Omnia
    Omnia
    ✭✭✭
    @Judas Helviaryn I will try to reach out after the holiday this week (probably be offline for a few days) and see what kind of sorc build you are running. I appreciate the offer of assistance!

It sounds like most are leaning towards Sorc or DK for ease of rotation so if I try to keep a dps, going with one of those would be the best options. I may also try my hand at healing. It's a good thing I saved a set of SPC, just in case. I will take another look at some of my key bindings and see if I can make adjustments.

It's not that I have to stay dps, I just wanted to keep playing a bit longer. My hubby and I have been playing ESO off and on together since the beginning and its something we enjoy doing together.

Thanks to everyone that has given me positive and helpful ideas. <3
  • vovus69
    vovus69
    ✭✭✭✭
    man, forget about AC. In your condition you can lose 10% of dps. It is not a big deal. Especially in trials - fight will be just a tad longer. Who cares. And you can heal without AC at all - just manage the rotation and keep an eye on guys who are in trouble. if you are templar healer you can forget about AC completely if you are healing. Just do a bit of dps when you will have spare time if situation allows. And this is just for the vet trials (just get SPC for healer). For normal or vet dungeons - relax and have fun. I can heal and dps them at the level of 10-20% of the group total DPS with templar. Which is kinda normal. No AC at all. If you are with PUG - that's ok. if you are in well organized group, dps should do dpsing and you are just healing as a worst case scenario.

-vovus
    "If I'll need your opinion, I'll give one to you" - Rivenspire