The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do you want "character description"?

• eklhaftb16_ESO
    eklhaftb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other!
    While not opposed to it, I think that (1) the character creator in ESO is way past WoW's capabilities, so we don't really need a visual description, (2) using it for biography doesn't make sense either, since nobody really runs around with their CV printed on their t-shirt (hey, that's actually kind of a cool idea, should I patent that?).

Either way, there are other RP quality-of-life improvements that would be more useful. Like, for example, a checkbox to tell the server that you'd prefer to be put in the same shard/phase/group with other RPers whenever possible. Or, a player scenario editor (something like Ryzom Ring used to be, if anybody remembers that). Or even the ability to change our facial expression on a keypress. Our characters can do facial expressions: yesterday in the character selection screen, I poked my Nord with a mouse cursor, and she smiled back and winked(!)... so why not just keybind that so we can actually make faces at each other?
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes! (Feel free to add more foods for thoughts)
    Considering the ES series has always been more open ended on who your character is and where they come from; the option for background story would be great.
    in WoW you had you origin determined for you for the most part with a starting area for each race. In ESO your race does not effect where you come from for the most part. I can be an argonian and yet be from Morrowind, Skyrim, or Valenwood
    Edited by Iccotak on November 21, 2017 6:42PM
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No! (Give reasoning)
    Guildmaster MOTD works on an honor system where, if you're representing and can be reported by up to 500 people, you're not going to fill that text space with questionable content.

But giving individuals the freedom to write whatever they want will lead to many of the same problems social media sites are facing now. ZOS isn't running a dating site. Or a political soapbox. Or a WTB/WTS bulletin board. You can make a social media page for your account or your character if it's that necessary to expand upon its history, which allows you to take full responsibility and accountability for the content you post.

But you always have to ask yourself how much any system can be abused before you even start designing it. That's the reality we're functioning in.
    signing off
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of very brief summary descriptions, or at least some way of flagging to other players that you are presently open to roleplay, but it would certainly be open to abuse. I prefer to find out about the character by interaction and dialogue rather than an elaborate backstory.

I also like the idea of an increased number and range of titles, perhaps including some less ostentatious ones for those few of us who (gasp) aren't interested in status.
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol sure why not? Could be fun to write some different blurbs for each character.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One of the things I like about Neverwinter, and yes, people read your biography. I've had a lot of people comment on my character Bio in Neverwinter due to my knowledge of Faerun's lore I was able to write a really cool back story for my Drow Guardian Fighter.

I would absolutely LOVE to do that in this game, I'm far more immersed in the lore of the Elder Scrolls World than I am in WoW or Neverwinter.
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting to see console get the same character details as they get on PC. On the Character Attributes page we don't even get details like Armor Penetration, the different Resistances broken down, ect.

We get the very top of the details page you have on PC with the just the basics and nothing below where it shows your Spell Resistance and Physical Resistance.
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lyserus wrote: »
    Something I leaned that WOW has...simply somewhere you can write something about your character, and you and other ppl run across you can have a look about it.

It will be great for role-playing, and also can have uses for other types of characters as well (for example, telling you which gear does this character miss or planning to farm for, what kind of role he/she has, or show others about your achievement or how much awesome your gear or dps is, etc)

So, what do you think?

Edit, adding: It will be a minor improvement and reuqire little work in UI, so I don't think it will "slow down other works" like some ppl will always claim

Even SWORD COAST LEGENDS has this :(
  • Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No! (Give reasoning)
    Please, no... The ways it can be abused are unlimited. We can't even avoid improper names and IDs, think what you can do with more "creative space". Or how it will be used by elitists to discriminate ppl in a group. It's not only a problem with underage brats, it's an open invitation for haters and other trolls.
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃
    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Member of "Guild Masters United"
    Master Angler
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would I use it? IDK... maybe? Probably not... but yes, is an interesting feature to have. I do know that I would be against a full inspect feature, at least one in which you can't control what others see...

But with this being a free text description you're the one in control about what to put there.
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • Autumnhart
    Autumnhart
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other!
    No preference.
    Shadow hide you.
  • CardboardedBox
    CardboardedBox
    ✭✭✭✭
    This was something I was thinking about a while back, but I thought people would think it's a stupid idea. Nice to see i was wrong.

It seems the only objection to it is because of trolls. But anything can become a trolling tool if enough effort is put into it. That's like someone saying they're afraid to go outside their house because there's germs outside, except there's germs in the house they refuse to leave.

In saying trolling is unavoidable no matter the topic, so why withhold a feature because of it?
  • KrishakPanettier
    KrishakPanettier
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, plus an Inspection option to see what others are wearing (at least appearance items doesn't have to list set pieces). And appearance item slots.
    Krishak Kringle aka KrishakPanettier, Templar (PSN:KrishakPanettier)
    -- PS4 NA --

PVP, PVE, and Trader Guild Leader
    Guild:
    - Rent-A-Zerg Mercs AD (one-time large AD PVP Guild - now PVP, PVE, dungeons, trials, and crafting)
    - Shadow Exiles AD (merged into RAZ AD)
    - Recruiting all levels, for help all in-game content. Not just PVP anymore. Not just AD.

Online:
    - Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/RAZ.AD
    - Facebook: www.facebook.com/ShadowExiles
    - Twitter: @ShadowExiles
    - www: www.shadowexiles.com
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so on my female character when somebody looks at her i can have this

pervert-alert.jpg
    "By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."

• cbdfarm
    cbdfarm
    ✭✭✭
    Of course then I can explain my characters pedophilia/killing/torture background and his addiction to Captain Spaulding the clown and Mother Firefly.
    Edited by cbdfarm on November 22, 2017 12:20AM
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a cool concept. Goodness knows, I put enough work into my character description in Star Wars: Galaxies.

I'm reasonably sure that not a single soul ever read it, though. So it's kind of pointless. But hey, I'm not against it.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    logarifmik wrote: »
    Totally yes! Anything that allows user to roleplay more deeply is welcomed!

This idea can be expanded further. In one of the best RPGs of this century, Pillars of Eternity, character's biography rights itself, while player completes key quests in the storyline. I think such feature can be a great addition to the already existing library of the lorebooks in ESO. In summary my suggestion is the following, allow players to right their own prehistory, but current history should be written in process, as the result of their adventures.

My issue with this is that it would be useless for actual RP. The vast majority of RP guilds don't count quests done by the Vestige among a character's achievements because there is in actuality only one Vestige. Otherwise, every RP character would have beaten Molag Bal.

It would be really cool if it could be disabled, however.
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • EttinTheBreton
    EttinTheBreton
    ✭✭✭
    Yes! I would be more encouraged to write a backstory for each of my characters. However, I think this might be cooler as an addition to our forum profiles, rather than an in-game change.
    Edited by EttinTheBreton on November 22, 2017 2:18PM
    I stream ESO sometimes! Check my channel for this week's schedule: twitch.tv/EttinTheBreton
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No! (Give reasoning)
    Katahdin wrote: »
    Fine idea but what I would really like is the ability to make up your own titles instead of the bragadocious canned ones...
    a6984aabbb5d3a2249abac266b44bd266214648332f0aeb5bdd8b4fdd9d00331.jpg
    We all know where this would end. Anyone who knows the internet can imagine it all too clearly.
    You cant stop it, and limiting customization because you dont want to see these people is selfish...
    ...just because we cannot stop the trolls does not mean we have to give them more chances to troll people!
    I'd like to be able for folks to see a title like 'Healer' or 'Medicine Woman' under my char's name than the available ones. I'd find that much more helpful that 'Mistress of Misrule' or whatever...
    ...more titles in -general- would be a good idea! As long as you don't let the usual human garbage spew their mental excrement all over the eso title system and claim its just "for fun"...
    I would -love- if the powers that be added dozends of "everyday" titles to various low-key achievements. Titles like "Tailor/Cobbler" (clothier achievements) or "Healer" (dungeon/pvP heals) or "Sage" (lorebook collections) or "Lumberjack/Farmer/Miner" (resource gathering) or "Blacksmith" (blacksmithing) or "Medicine Man/Woman" (alchemy) or "Runecaster" (enchanting) or "Cook/Brewer" (provisioning) or "Game Hunter" (beast kills) or "Apprentice" (joined the mages guild) or "Squire (joined the fighters guild) or "Firestarter" (done the lightbringer achievement) or "Carpenter" (woodworking) or dozends more...

If people are really determined to troll we should focus on actually stopping it and making it harder instead of just cuting off everything that could be used to do it.

Yea, good luck with that

You can't stop a really determined troll, they WILL find a way. That said, i voted no because i really fail to see the utility of such a thing outside of role playing. from what i understand you would have to interact with said person to look at them and how often are you close enough to do that? No i would take better chat/mail tools over this.
  • KRBMMO
    KRBMMO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kind of like having your company advertisement on your car:

"Vamp Bites and Master Crafting. All Motifs. Low Prices"
  • KRBMMO
    KRBMMO
    ✭✭✭✭
    And to all the people saying "Oh, people might use it to troll / offend others" well ... how is that different from zone chat?
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Fine idea but what I would really like is the ability to make up your own titles instead of the bragadocious canned ones. I'd like to be able for folks to see a title like 'Healer' or 'Medicine Woman' under my char's name than the available ones. I'd find that much more helpful that 'Mistress of Misrule' or whatever. Heck, keeping the existing ones as options would be fine, just let me create my own 'descriptive' ones to use instead.

Oh please, for the love of the gods, NO!

I can assure you I have no wish to see the immature and pathetic titles that players would come up with given free rein, yourself excepted no doubt. I don't think it would ever happen because ZOS would fear an absolute flood of petitions complaining about the inappropriateness of the titles many would use.

Heh, I suppose that, sadly, you do have a point. I would be almost as happy if ZOS simply added some descriptive titles to choose from instead of braggy ones. I'd settle for 'Healer' and would like to see players have access to titles like Tank, DPS, Melee DPS, Ranged DPS. I mean most folks can 'read' a healer based on the vertical plant of their healing staff. And most folks can read a tank by the shield. Much tougher when a player in a costume shows up with a staff or bow on their back to a WB fight. I do a lot of random gaggles at WBs and, as a healer, really try to 'read' who I can expect to be healing. Oh well.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Path
    Path
    ✭✭✭✭
    Always a nice touch for those interested in who they play or RP with.
    Fairy Tales Really Do Come True...Kinda.
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah why not. As long as when they’re implementing it they don’t break something else in the game (obvious ZOS has form in this area). I probably won’t use it but I can imagine some people would dig it.
  • MinarasLaure
    MinarasLaure
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other!
    Voted other as I'd like to see char description but that's it.
    A full "examine" that allows you to see what other players are wearing is something I don't like ( I remember there was this exact function on ffxi)
  • Ghettokid
    Ghettokid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other!
    lardvader wrote: »
    Guess what @Ghettokid will have in the description :D
    Orc
  • Stania
    Stania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other!
    It could be useful to show role, crafting mastery, items for sale, or end-game experience (for potential groups), because let's be honest, very few people care about the imaginary backstory of a stranger's fictional character.
    PC NA server
    ¡Hablo español!
    |vet trial #1|vet trial #2|vet trial #3 HM|Another vet trial|a hard-to-get achievement|
    My characters:
    <List of characters that no one cares to know with their classes and roles>

"Inspirational quote"
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tbh I made my only character 4 years ago with a backstory in my mind...I would love to have it a place to write it and others to be able to read it and I would love to read about it from other people characters...this in my eyes would just bring us closer to our characters and increase immersion...yes I said it, IMMERSION
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lyserus wrote: »
    with this many agrees I feel safe to
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    and try to make it an official proposal ;)

I hope it succedes. Would be absolutely awesome to have it in-game.
    Edited by TelvanniWizard on November 24, 2017 8:58PM
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    City of Heroes had this feature and Star Trek Online has this as well.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>