The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

White-Gold Tower details

FrancisCrawford
FrancisCrawford
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
My experience in WGT hasn't been all bad; I successfully healed a Group Finder PUG in vet mode, albeit with multiple wipes. Still, I'm struggling with it, and I'd like my Spell Power Cure gear, so I have some questions. I also have some observations of my own. :)

Is the following really an accurate list of bosses?
  • The Adjudicator -- drops gear in the "boss" body slots.
  • The triple boss -- drops gear in the "mini-boss" body slots.
  • The Planar Inhibitor -- drops gear in the "boss" body slots.
  • Molag Kena -- drops gear in the "boss" body slots.
  • Nobody else.
  • (But at least the quest reward is a blue SPC necklace).

In the Adjudicator fight:
  • Is a random party member caged, or is it the party member who is furthest from the boss? I've seen both claimed.
  • Is there any funky aggro mechanic, or if the boss spends most of the fight attacking the healer is that a sign of a bad/unsuccessful tank?
  • Is it practical for other party members to make sure they are within heal range of a caged teammate? (Obviously, this question doesn't have a simple Yes or No answer.)

What kill order do you guys (try to) use in the triple boss fight?

In the Planar Inhibitor fight, is the following accurate regarding the pinion mechanism?
  • Somebody should grab the pinion as soon as it's up/lit.
  • Whoever grabs the pinion will then have the boss' aggro.
  • Grabbing the pinion twice in a row is a terrible idea, because you get a strong DoT debuff if you do.

How do you guys allocate pinion duty?

In the Planar Inhibitor fight, regarding the rift/portal mechanism:
  • There's a two-part signal. The priestess says, in effect, "close the portals to keep from being overwhelmed by adds". Everybody hears that. Further, if your screen goes gray/colorless, YOU can close the portals.
  • How many people get portal duty at a time? One? Two?
  • What works for closing the portals? I usually use a few light attacks to do it. Would a skill work as well?
  • I had the big misunderstanding before trying the fight that all the portals would spawn at once, at which point one should close them as quickly as possible. That doesn't seem accurate. What is the real timing like?

In the Molag Kena fight, what's the difference between vet mode and vet HM?

• sdtlc
    sdtlc
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In the Adjudicator fight:
    • Is there any funky aggro mechanic, or if the boss spends most of the fight attacking the healer is that a sign of a bad/unsuccessful tank?

Yes bad tanking, she turns around and does the wave coneaoe at a random player tho.

What kill order do you guys (try to) use in the triple boss fight?

Sword & Board, shields them all, then Staff, cause healing and fire with standart at the end, then dualwield.

In the Planar Inhibitor fight, is the following accurate regarding the pinion mechanism?
    • Somebody should grab the pinion as soon as it's up/lit.
    • Whoever grabs the pinion will then have the boss' aggro.
    • Grabbing the pinion twice in a row is a terrible idea, because you get a strong DoT debuff if you do.

How do you guys allocate pinion duty?

Tanks grabs the pinion and holds still, like not run around the whole bloody room ffs, when the groups is strong enough it can be left open till blue or maybe one time the healer takes it and tank takes it back. In the blue phase one takes it and moves away, make sure someone takes it back right when it opens. After blue back to tank.

In the Planar Inhibitor fight, regarding the rift/portal mechanism:
    • There's a two-part signal. The priestess says, in effect, "close the portals to keep from being overwhelmed by adds". Everybody hears that. Further, if your screen goes gray/colorless, YOU can close the portals.
    • How many people get portal duty at a time? One? Two?
    • What works for closing the portals? I usually use a few light attacks to do it. Would a skill work as well?
    • I had the big misunderstanding before trying the fight that all the portals would spawn at once, at which point one should close them as quickly as possible. That doesn't seem accurate. What is the real timing like?

If you get the greyscale screen kill the portals, they appear one after the other, 5, 7, 9, 11, not sure about further count, we normaly don't make it that far. Since the nerf always two people get the view, you can identifie them by a black auro around their head, befor the nerf it was made that in the 11+ phasen two got the view.
    I'd heavely recommend closing them asap, the adds come out after around 3 seconds.

In the Molag Kena fight, what's the difference between vet mode and vet HM?

Speed of the room seperating lightning lines and maybe health & damage of Kena

Die Qualität verhält sich nicht zwingend proportional zur Masse...

Meisterangler vor dem perfekten Rogen...
    +Kaiserstadt, Wrothgar, Hew's Fluch, Goldküste, Vvardenfell, Stadt der Uhrwerke, Sommersend, Artaeum, Trübmoor, Elsweyr (nördliches & südliches), Graumoor, Reik, Dunkelforst

[PC][DC]Zunft der Helden[PvX]
    Feierabendgilde mit Ambitionen
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can answer some of the question, but not all, especially not the ones about boss loot. :) Never paid attention really to which boss drops what. Generally though you can loot stuff from treasure chests too. AFAIK the end boss drops jewelry, and there's a few named SPC items that drop from bosses, especially Molag Kena.

The Adjudicator has some random attack mechanics, that's right. She won't always attack the tank. Whether the player getting caged needs healing depends on how fast they can pick the lock, how much self-heal they have and how much health the boss has left. In a strong group, the boss often gets burned down before or while a player is caged.

The cage fire doesn't do that much damage. If the player needs aid, the healer can rush over to them and put springs/Mutagen on them from time to time. If the healer gets caged, they can heal themselves and/or another player can pick the lock from the outside.

The usual order for the triple boss is: First the sword+shield guy, then the healer, then the other. If the group is strong enough, you can stack all three in one spot and burn them down with AOE/Ultimates.

For the Planar Inhibitor, if the tank has enough survivability, they can hold the pinion and stand still until blue phase. They need lots of (self-)healing then, since in addition to the boss attacks (the diving ones do the most damage), the pinion puts an increasingly strong DOT on whoever holds it that only gets reset when the boss falls to the ground ("I can't control it") after blue phase.

In blue phase, the pinion MUST be picked up whenever it's ready. The focused player gets slowed down and the blue fire does unhealable damage. You're correct, the boss aggros whoever closes the pinion.

Usually the tank takes and holds the pinion first, and in blue phase one or two DDs and the tank take turns.

About the portals: Your first point is correct, yes. Before the last patch, only one player got the portals view for the most part of the fight, and in the last phase, two players got it. Since the previous patch, it's always two players (who don't have pinion aggro) that get the portals view.

How many players close the portals depend on who plays how well and who gets the view. Especially if the healer is overtaxed with healing and closing portals, the DD should concentrate on it.

Best way to close the portals is a heavy attack with a lightning or restoration staff, those are channeled attacks that do sufficient damage very quickly. Especially since last patch when the "health" of the portals was greatly reduced. Stamina DDs should weave light attack and poison injection with the bow. Tank can use chains or ranged taunt.

The portals indeed do not spawn all at once, I was under that wrong impression too for a while. I don't know the exact timing, but when you get the grey screen and have portal duty, you should continue putting your AOEs/DOTs on the boss and otherwise concentrate on looking around for portals spawning. I think the locations where they spawn are fixed, but which of those locations is chosen is random.

For Molag Kena, in Vet HM the row of lightning rotates much faster, more than twice as fast, as in non-HM, in addition to Kena having more health, doing more damage etc. I suppose she does her mechanics more often too, like spawning atronachs or doing her conal pushback attack.
    Edited by Loc2262 on November 21, 2017 10:07AM
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • sdtlc
    sdtlc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing to add, i noticed BoL won't go into the cage, some time ago. Anyone knows more about this?
    Die Qualität verhält sich nicht zwingend proportional zur Masse...

Meisterangler vor dem perfekten Rogen...
    +Kaiserstadt, Wrothgar, Hew's Fluch, Goldküste, Vvardenfell, Stadt der Uhrwerke, Sommersend, Artaeum, Trübmoor, Elsweyr (nördliches & südliches), Graumoor, Reik, Dunkelforst

[PC][DC]Zunft der Helden[PvX]
    Feierabendgilde mit Ambitionen
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll go boss by boss.

Adjudicator feels completely random. Healer just needs to stand near the cages to support the person getting out, if the healer gets caged, then someone else should unlock. Or if you have Legerdemain 9 you just jam lockpicks into the door until it opens.
    Apart from that it has no funky mechanics, so if it aggros you, the tank is at fault.

For the Trio, I find it is best to go Dual Wield, Tank, Healer in terms of focus, but grouping them up so that they all take cleave will make the fight go a lot more smoothly. Also bash the damn healer, I don't care if it "isn't your job" just bash the damn thing if you are close to it.

Planar Inhibitor there are two strats.
    First, Tank switches to a DPS spec, and you rotate the pinion between the three DPS. In portal phases, just keep DOTs on the boss and kill the portals with ranged attacks.
    Second, Tank holds aggro until blue phase, where the least squishy DPS, or the healer takes the pinion and then trades back to the tank, trusting that they are beefy enough to sponge the DOT. You may need to swap to a third member, depending on the groups level of DPS.
    Either way, you make sure that at least one of the DPS always gets the portal phase, meaning that they can deal with it, leaving the other members to their jobs.

For the final fight, Hard mode will add another 750k HP as well as drastically increasing the speed at which the lightning walls rotate. This is particularly tricky for the execute phase, given the double walls. But it still isn't too hard to heal/shield through them.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks!

1. Could somebody please explain "blue phase" and so on regarding the pinion?

2. Could somebody please add more detail regarding portal spawning? :)

3. Thanks for mentioning the black halo for folks on portal duty. I'd forgotten that.

And to be clear for other newbs reading along:
    • When the screen goes "gray", it might be more accurate to say "gray scale". There simply is no color, even in health bars or icons.
    • What folk above are saying is that there's been a change, making some of the original guides obsolete on one particular subject. There ALWAYS are two people assigned to portal duty, and that "always" was previously untrue.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on November 22, 2017 7:19PM
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The boss goes through "phases", indicated by the color of the flames under him. First the flames are yellow/orange and the damage is healable.

After the boss "jumps into the ground" three times, the flames turn blue. In that phase, the focused player gets slowed down more and more, until they stand still, and the flames do unhealable damage. That's "blue phase". After that, the boss says "I can't control it", falls do the ground, is stunned for about 5 seconds and all DOTs are reset.

About "portal duty", make sure to be clear about the meaning of that term. Don't mix up players getting the grayscale screen (i.e. they can close the portals), and those that are actually assigned by the team to do so. Since it is now always two players getting the "portal view", it's possible to have only one close the portal, e.g. if the healer gets it and needs to concentrate on healing.
    Edited by Loc2262 on November 22, 2017 7:47PM
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »
    The boss goes through "phases", indicated by the color of the flames under him. First the flames are yellow/orange and the damage is healable.

After the boss "jumps into the ground" three times, the flames turn blue. In that phase, the focused player gets slowed down more and more, until they stand still, and the flames do unhealable damage. That's "blue phase". After that, the boss says "I can't control it", falls do the ground, is stunned for about 5 seconds and all DOTs are reset.

About "portal duty", make sure to be clear about the meaning of that term. Don't mix up players getting the grayscale screen (i.e. they can close the portals), and those that are actually assigned by the team to do so. Since it is now always two players getting the "portal view", it's possible to have only one close the portal, e.g. if the healer gets it and needs to concentrate on healing.

Thanks!

So when is it possible and/or necessary to grab the pinion?
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you elaborate your question? We explained that in quite some detail in our previous posts I think. :)
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks!

1. Could somebody please explain "blue phase" and so on regarding the pinion?

2. Could somebody please add more detail regarding portal spawning? :)

3. Thanks for mentioning the black halo for folks on portal duty. I'd forgotten that.

And to be clear for other newbs reading along:
    • When the screen goes "gray", it might be more accurate to say "gray scale". There simply is no color, even in health bars or icons.
    • What folk above are saying is that there's been a change, making some of the original guides obsolete on one particular subject. There ALWAYS are two people assigned to portal duty, and that "always" was previously untrue.

1. After a period of time the Planar inhibitor will turn blue, and shortly after will have an audio cue to show that it has entered cold fire phase. During this time it will apply a stacking DOT and snare to the person holding the pinion. The DOT here hurts. I mean, you can't tank through it, so you need to swap aggro during this phase, and not have the same person take the pinion back until the boss resets (Easiest cue for this is when her fire goes out and she falls to the ground)

2. Portal mechanics have changed, and they are a lot simpler now. Every 2 phases the boss will cause two peoples screens to go grey and begin spawning portals. The two people with grey screens will be the only ones that can damage the portals, and thus this is their primary job during this phase. The boss cannot apply the portal thing to the person who holds the pinion, so you should always be able to get it on at least one of the DPS characters, who can kill portals in 1-2 light attacks with a staff or bow.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you elaborate your question? We explained that in quite some detail in our previous posts I think. :)

Well, if it is ALWAYS possible to grab the pinion, then I think things have otherwise been explained. :)
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pinion has a cooldown after it's been picked up, about 10-15 seconds. Aside from that it can be grabbed "always", yes.

It's a matter of damage optimization to have the tank hold it until blue phase if they can take the damage. DDs cannot stand still with the boss at all when they pick it up, the damage is too high. So if a DD takes it unnecessarily, they have to kite the boss, thus greatly reducing the damage.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The pinion has a cooldown after it's been picked up, about 10-15 seconds. Aside from that it can be grabbed "always", yes.

It's a matter of damage optimization to have the tank hold it until blue phase if they can take the damage. DDs cannot stand still with the boss at all when they pick it up, the damage is too high. So if a DD takes it unnecessarily, they have to kite the boss, thus greatly reducing the damage.

Thanks!
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone for a very helpful thread!
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    WGT has also been discussed in a couple of other recent threads. In particular, there's some great detail on pinion mechanics in Posts 40-42 of https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4696770/#Comment_4696770
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on December 12, 2017 7:30AM
  • shack80
    shack80
    ✭✭✭
    The Planar Inhibitor can be done with a good dps without the blue phase. Tank just takes the agro and dd's melt it down. Altough it would be optimal that also your healer can do some dps. Drop destro ulti/jabs and so.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    shack80 wrote: »
    The Planar Inhibitor can be done with a good dps without the blue phase. Tank just takes the agro and dd's melt it down. Altough it would be optimal that also your healer can do some dps. Drop destro ulti/jabs and so.

Key words: Good DPS.

I've yet to meet the group of random PUGs who can burn the boss down before blue phase when I'm tanking WGT on Normal. So for me, tanking is a waiting game of "are they gonna grab the pinion or not?" If I die because they didn't grab it but we complete the fight, oh well. If we wiped because they didn't grab the pinion, I'll explain the mechanics and they are normally much better about doing them the next time.

So its totally possible with good DPS but it requires a certain level of DPS which is no guaranteed to anyone at the mercy of the Daily Random Dungeon. In that circumstance, its much better to know the pinion mechanics.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah to burn the Inhibitor completely before blue phase, you need either two DDs with extremely high DPS (35-40+k), or do a three-DPS run without healer.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP