The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Igneous Shield Formula?

• GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgruberman wrote: »
    Not to step in between the discussion, because I enjoy reading it, but why wouldn't a DK Tank use Bone AND Igneous? And separately, why is one better than the other?

I'll just quote myself and ask again... but why wouldn't a tank use both shields?

Because tanks need all the stam they can get and bone sheild costs Stam and only inpacts you, unless someone does the synergy, which is rare. Better to just use igneous shields and vigor. On my tank, vigor ticks for like 2k( on other people, on my self it ticks for 3-4k) for 5 secs, which is more then a lots of healers rapid regen that I have played with as a tank and impacts up to 6 people instead of just *4* for bone shield, you also get ulti from healing people. The amount of Stam use is less for vigor too. So use igneous, then vigor, best way to keep you and your team up.

As for why igneous is better then bone shield, I covered that, igneous covers 6 people with not interaction and bone only covers you for 30% and only *4* other player with a 60% shield, based on their health, not yours, and only if someone synergies the skill.

Yes.. so agree, please do not use Bone Shield with a tank. For a dps StamDK, like one of my toons, I do slot the Bone Shield, rather than Igneous Shield. It's preference, and my understanding of how jacked up Igneous Shield has been for stam dps DK with post-Morrowind. Igneous Shield isn't working for me for my dps DK, stam or mag. As for a DK tank, it doesn't matter how many allies it cover; heck, it could cover the whole damn room, but if a tank is 30k or less, the Igneous "is not" helping much for contents that has a bit more resistance and difficulties, such as DLC world boss pits, vet trials or vet dungeons. If you're rolling in with a DK tank with less than 40k hp in a vet trial, your potential of having a rougher run increases. You will probably also have a rougher run for those DLC vet dungeons, or even certain normal ones, perhaps.

Igneous Shield is not so effective with any DK tank with 30 hp or less. Heck, you're even pushing in with hp within the mid-30s. I have 3 DK tanks and all are sporting the Igneous Shield, because all are higher in hp; one is 40k hp (mag-based hybrid), the other is right around 50k (stam-based hybrid) and the third just passing 60k (pure S&B.) The 40k one was around 35k hp, initially, but I tweaked it up to 40k because it was rougher going with certain DLC dungeons, particularly those DLC and post-Morrowind end-game contents, and even soloing certain world boss pits. Within the 30k range, the Igneous is only mitigating about 3600 for allies. That is really crap for DLC endgame contents. Most adds alone are pounding you and blasting you with 3-5k damages per hit, and they are hitting you multiple times. Heck, a couple adds even dishing out 7-10k per hit; let alone the boss with potential of hitting you with around 9-20k damages per pop. I'm not even mentioning the stupid red. 3600 Igneous Shield isn't doing much. Sure, you'll be just fine for normal dungeons or delves, or when you have multiple others players at the world boss pit. Heck, you won't even need any shield if there are a lot of people/players at any world boss pits. However, sololy or with a couple other peeps, those other two or three must have a lot of dps to get the boss down fast, because that low Igneous Shield isn't helping much. Sorry, beating the horse on my part for these discussions.
  • BlanketFort
    BlanketFort
    ✭✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »
    Not to step in between the discussion, because I enjoy reading it, but why wouldn't a DK Tank use Bone AND Igneous? And separately, why is one better than the other?

I'll just quote myself and ask again... but why wouldn't a tank use both shields?

Because tanks need all the stam they can get and bone sheild costs Stam and only inpacts you, unless someone does the synergy, which is rare. Better to just use igneous shields and vigor. On my tank, vigor ticks for like 2k( on other people, on my self it ticks for 3-4k) for 5 secs, which is more then a lots of healers rapid regen that I have played with as a tank and impacts up to 6 people instead of just *4* for bone shield, you also get ulti from healing people. The amount of Stam use is less for vigor too. So use igneous, then vigor, best way to keep you and your team up.

As for why igneous is better then bone shield, I covered that, igneous covers 6 people with not interaction and bone only covers you for 30% and only *4* other player with a 60% shield, based on their health, not yours, and only if someone synergies the skill.

Yes.. so agree, please do not use Bone Shield with a tank. For a dps StamDK, like one of my toons, I do slot the Bone Shield, rather than Igneous Shield. It's preference, and my understanding of how jacked up Igneous Shield has been for stam dps DK with post-Morrowind. Igneous Shield isn't working for me for my dps DK, stam or mag. As for a DK tank, it doesn't matter how many allies it cover; heck, it could cover the whole damn room, but if a tank is 30k or less, the Igneous "is not" helping much for contents that has a bit more resistance and difficulties, such as DLC world boss pits, vet trials or vet dungeons. If you're rolling in with a DK tank with less than 40k hp in a vet trial, your potential of having a rougher run increases. You will probably also have a rougher run for those DLC vet dungeons, or even certain normal ones, perhaps.

Igneous Shield is not so effective with any DK tank with 30 hp or less. Heck, you're even pushing in with hp within the mid-30s. I have 3 DK tanks and all are sporting the Igneous Shield, because all are higher in hp; one is 40k hp (mag-based hybrid), the other is right around 50k (stam-based hybrid) and the third just passing 60k (pure S&B.) The 40k one was around 35k hp, initially, but I tweaked it up to 40k because it was rougher going with certain DLC dungeons, particularly those DLC and post-Morrowind end-game contents, and even soloing certain world boss pits. Within the 30k range, the Igneous is only mitigating about 3600 for allies. That is really crap for DLC endgame contents. Most adds alone are pounding you and blasting you with 3-5k damages per hit, and they are hitting you multiple times. Heck, a couple adds even dishing out 7-10k per hit; let alone the boss with potential of hitting you with around 9-20k damages per pop. I'm not even mentioning the stupid red. 3600 Igneous Shield isn't doing much. Sure, you'll be just fine for normal dungeons or delves, or when you have multiple others players at the world boss pit. Heck, you won't even need any shield if there are a lot of people/players at any world boss pits. However, sololy or with a couple other peeps, those other two or three must have a lot of dps to get the boss down fast, because that low Igneous Shield isn't helping much. Sorry, beating the horse on my part for these discussions.

From my understanding, it seems like you think Igneous Shields are the only thing DK tanks bring into group play. The beauty about support roles, is that you have more freedom in deciding what kind of support you are going to provide that fits your playstyle best.

A high-HP tank provides nice, robust shields for allies, aside from the basic buffs and de-buffs. Their gear is more oriented towards high HP.

A not-so-high HP tank has less juicy shields. But may provide further buffs and de-buffs through Torug's, Alkosh, Ebon, etc or have ulti-gen gear set-ups to poop out more warhorns with.

Some tanks are a mix of both. Some tanks are built for self-sustain and max damage mitigation, which doesn't always mean hitting as much HP as possible. Some tanks like to perma-block, then we have active-ninja tanks, shards-hungry tanks, magicka tanks, medium armour tanks, all kinds of DK tanks! The list goes on!

There is so much playroom for builds for loads of different content, and often weird group compositions, that it is rather silly to judge the usefulness of a single skill based on one kind of tanking playstyle (namely, High-HP tanks).

I can understand that the Igneous Shield formula breaks your heart for your High-HP tanks, but it doesn't mean it is completely useless for all tanks under 30k health, regardless of tanking style.

You also keep talking about scenarios for stam and mag DKs with 17-22k health, or something. And I just have to wonder, why you would rather use Boneshield over Harness Magicka on a MagDK? Was that supposed to compare Boneshield to Igneous Shield?