The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How to win vs Warden?

TankHealz2015
TankHealz2015
✭✭✭

Background: Argonian, DK, Stam, Cyridil PvP, WW

Lately it seems that Wardens are my weakness... I can smash them down to almost dead and then poof... back to full health and they one shot me (it may be animation cancelled but looks and feels like a one shot. my death recap is turned off and i don't know how to turn it back on).

I use Reverb shield bash for the -30% heal and also in Werewolf form i have another -30% heal skill

I use either kill the undead (8k dmg) enchant or disease enchant on my weapons. Sword/Shield and Bow

I normally use the WW as a llinebreaker in group fights- for the AoE fear and pounce around... in 1 vs 1 i will transform depending on the fight.

PLEASE: "get gud" L2P and "practive more" are not helpful comments and neither is "they cheat"... blah blah blah.

Looking for practical tips and useful ideas.

What is their weakness? is it simply need more burst? a different weapon enchant?
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surviving until a friendly zerg arrives seems to work (along with being able to escape if its an enemy zerg)..

Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
    Options
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I usually burst them right after their tree ult... I also try to keep my distance and walk through them when I have to go into melee range, like I do against uppercut. If the shalks don't hit you their burst always fails.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
    Options
  • ViciousBunnii
    ViciousBunnii
    ✭✭✭

Lately it seems that Wardens are my weakness...

PLEASE: "get gud" L2P and "practive more" are not helpful comments and neither is "they cheat"... blah blah blah.

This. Wardens are difficult for me right now, other classes not so much. They seem to burst me down before I even know I am targeted lol.

Also, your 'please' response. I totally agree. I loathe those comments, as much as they are true. HOW to 'get gud' or 'L2P'?? Specifics people! lol
    PC/NA

Forever salty about the Shadow Rider Senche
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a magplar with ice staff backbar for block if I need it. I usually pop Restoring focus, block, setup my debuffs, and swap back to offense to hit them with UC. Usually UC catches them with some redirected DMG which I try to fill in with jabs and Dawnbreaker right when it's about to burst.

The Restoring focus will help give minor protection to soften the DMG of the bird so when it comes time for block to mitigate, I can lower it enough to match my HoTs and minor vitality hellos boost the hots to make sure I can take the hits before I need to BoL. I also have my gap closer to reduce the time they can spam birds comfortably.

For DK, you do have 12% healing received and a global 10% block mitigation. So it's a step in the right direction. You do need to time a cc to limit their bird spam but also to clench a take flight-executioner combo.

Edit:
    Just saw your weapons. Bow will give you that sweet execute dot and snb will give you access to extra ranged block mitigation plus op defile stun.
    Edited by Minno on November 17, 2017 3:59PM
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A well timed CC or stun will usually work well against Wardens. I know because that's usually how my Stam Warden dies. Break their rotation and most players have a hard time recovering from that. Like most PvP contests... first player to make a mistake.... dies.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
    Options
  • Barbaran
    Barbaran
    ✭✭✭✭
    wardens have a weakness like any class.
    first, when they punch the ground amd that little blue circle glows around the feet, stay to their side or back. fissure/shalks go in a straight line from where they are facing, not from where the crosshairs are, so technically can be dodged easily. without rhose the burst is minimal.
    second, when the trees are up, back out of the tree circle and just restore your resources, trees are a free "reset" button for them, so take advantage and restore your resources as well.
    third, have a heavy burst combo. ive seen stamdens with mushrooms,vigor and rally (tho most will use momentum). so if you dont burst hard and fast, they have many heals to keep them going
    Edited by Barbaran on November 17, 2017 4:00PM
    Options
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    as a stamplar/stamsorc/stamblade: time your burst and burst them really,really hard.

in a stamDk's case, just sit in a corner and cry.

You're not gonna kill a good warden with half decent resource management.

Your best bet is getting yourself to %40-50 hp mark, baiting him to go offensive and then popping corrosive armor.
    This will work on bad players, as good players know they shouldn't fight a Dk while the corrosive armor is active.

Getting ''gud'' will not work after a certain point, It will help you to put just enough pressure on him so you can wait till teammates arrive.

But be careful as they can suddenly go from defensive to burst with the help of sub assault

Edited by Ragnarock41 on November 17, 2017 4:33PM
    Options
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can usually overwhelm Mag Wardens with DoT's on MagDK.

On my other classes though, nope. Go buy Morrowind and get one yourself.

Stam Wardens are broke btw. You're not gonna 1v1 them. You're most likely to get 1vX'd by them. Even on the MagDK, their 2nd or 3rd burst attempt will have you sliding around the floor before your DoT's even start to build and drain it's resources.

I got Morrowind for £16.
    PC EU
    Options
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    move in circles and dont follow them when they start to back up, thats a sure way to get eaten by shalks. interrupt their combo with cc of your own. reverb like your using is good because of the major defile. you probably want to put some points into increasing healing reduction if you will be using reverb as your main interrupt.
    in my opinion, blocking is most important when fighting a warden stam in particular. when you see them wind up dizzying swing you need to block it. as a class they have a lot of utility but a hard CC is something they lack so many rely on weapon skill CC such as reverb, dizzying swing, flame reach and the like.
    Scipio Numantia Red guard Nightblade PvP- AD
    Scipio Asiaticus Khajiit Nightblade (CRAFTER/DPS) PvE- EP
    Altmer Nightblade PvP- EP
    Fueoculto Breton Templar (DPS) PvE- EP
    Rasoculto Orc Dragon Knight PvP- EP
    Caethus Argonian Templar (HEAL) PvE- EP
    Vale Oso Nord Sorc (DPS) PvE- AD
    Sir-Galahad-the-pure Altmer Sorc (DPS) PvE- EP
    Scipionumantine Imperial Templar PvP- EP
    Un-bearable Imperial Warden PVP- EP
    Vale Bear Altmer Warden PvP- EP
    Baits-All-Zergs Argonian Dragon knight PVP- DC
    Options
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best way to beat a Stam warden as a Stam DK is to reroll and make your own Stam warden. They’re just too strong atm and Stam DK is too weak (in terms of burst dmg) at the moment. If you do beat a stamden 1v1 it means you significantly outplayed them. Or maybe they were AFK?

Source: former Stam DK who is now a Stam warden
    Edited by Thogard on November 17, 2017 5:00PM
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

Options
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magden - outsustain and kill them. Remember that they don't have an execute and their only big hitter is a conal aoe. They're going to be hard to secure the kill on if they're built and played right, but without an execute you've got room to make mistakes
    Options
  • Hecker777
    Hecker777
    ✭✭✭
    Kinda stupid for me to tell you how to kill me, but whatever lol. Never engage me head on, chances are I have beetles down the second I see you. I use the gap close-beetles combo so stick right up in my face and stay to my back/sides. The only danger you're really in then is that I've got masters DW on my back bar and that bleed is nasty. Wardens have really great "stand and fight" ability so if I'm not dead within 5 seconds you're better off running for the nearest LOS and getting away from me. The longer you fight me the more chance that my damage buffs will proc together and if that happens.....you're kinda screwed. 5K weapon damage fully proc'd. Mix in a Dawnbreaker to taste and in just 3 short seconds you have a fresh corpse!
    Edited by Hecker777 on November 17, 2017 5:14PM
    No class CC and I don't run a gap closer...so yeah if you streak away from me I'll probably bird spam you WHAT ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO DO??
    Outrider of Vokundein-Vice PvP Officer- Member of Legend Gaming
    Officer- Eastmarch Trade Company
    Officer- Order of the Bear
    Core- Fear is Failure

DK Tank - Stam Sorc DPS - Stam Warden PvP DPS- Mag DK PvP DPS
    690+ CP PC NA
    Options
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think you have to drop their health to or below 0.
    Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
    Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.
    Options
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »
    Best way to beat a Stam warden as a Stam DK is to reroll and make your own Stam warden. They’re just too strong atm and Stam DK is too weak (in terms of burst dmg) at the moment. If you do beat a stamden 1v1 it means you significantly outplayed them. Or maybe they were AFK?

Source: former Stam DK who is now a Stam warden

hate to say it but he is right.
    Options
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the solution is to nerf sorc
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
    Options
  • lynog85
    lynog85
    ✭✭✭
    Alpheu5 wrote: »

This guy thinks you can drop peoples health below zero.
    Options
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For stam warden, there's no true counter. If you're melee he can drop corrupting and keep his pressure up, forcing you to disengage and therefore making it easier to land a sub combo. If you're ranged he's going to allow you to stay somewhat at range and proc his shimmering until he's ready to go offensive at his leisure. You just have to outplay him and remember that he's got the ability to punish mistakes like most other specs don't.

Both morphs of shalks are harder to land on opponents who are in your face since they can move in more possible directions to make them miss, this makes it much harder to predict their location and land and all but forces you into using a CC pre-burst, which can allow an opponent time to recover.

The other solution is to build enough defense to always survive his burst and enough sustain to make sure you're not caught with no resources. At that point I don't know how much damage you'll be packing but you can hope he makes more mistakes as a fight drags on or that he falls asleep trying to kill your 35k health heavy armor build.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on November 17, 2017 8:20PM
    Options
  • Hecker777
    Hecker777
    ✭✭✭
    the solution is to nerf sorc

I thought that was the solution for everything. "The sudden loss of sound in Cyrodiil is due to an unintended effect with Daedric mines"........2 weeks later in patch notes......daedric mines now no longer root an enemy.

XDXD
    No class CC and I don't run a gap closer...so yeah if you streak away from me I'll probably bird spam you WHAT ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO DO??
    Core- Fear is Failure

690+ CP PC NA
    Options
  • barshemm
    barshemm
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a stamina warden when I see a werewolf that's my first target. My biggest burst skill, sub assault, deals poison damage. Solo or small group I'm running dawn bringer so I can usually splat a werewolf pretty quick.

For the people suggesting wait for healing thicket, I rarely use it except as a reset. Since the nerf I've been killed in it a few times. I wouldn't necessarily back off of it.
    Options
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    lynog85 wrote: »
    Alpheu5 wrote: »

This guy thinks you can drop peoples health below zero.

You must have never seen the oft-missed FTC values of -1%.
    Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
    Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.
    Options
  • IlCanis_LupuslI
    IlCanis_LupuslI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Background: Argonian, DK, Stam, Cyridil PvP, WW

Lately it seems that Wardens are my weakness... I can smash them down to almost dead and then poof... back to full health and they one shot me (it may be animation cancelled but looks and feels like a one shot. my death recap is turned off and i don't know how to turn it back on).

I use Reverb shield bash for the -30% heal and also in Werewolf form i have another -30% heal skill

I use either kill the undead (8k dmg) enchant or disease enchant on my weapons. Sword/Shield and Bow

I normally use the WW as a llinebreaker in group fights- for the AoE fear and pounce around... in 1 vs 1 i will transform depending on the fight.

Looking for practical tips and useful ideas.

What is their weakness? is it simply need more burst? a different weapon enchant?

Find the nearest tree and kite them, keep dots up and wait for them to make a mistake. never fight them im the open, cc them when they try to shalk you. Use your Ulti shortly after they put down their tree. If your caught in the open make shure to circle them so they cant Land their burst combo
    Wardens and sorcs are the only class i struggle with, 1 mistake or 3 second game freeze and your dead.
    What usually works is stealthing as soon as they charge up their beetles get close (NO AMBUSH) get behind them, surprise attack >incap
    Or when they charge up their beetles, get close and use mass hysteria if you don't have a Ulti ready.
    Most important= USE YOUR TERRAIN TO FORCE THEM INTO MELEE(3-5m)
    RANGE; Trees rocks, ledges, poles etc

A medium armor stamblade
    Edited by IlCanis_LupuslI on November 18, 2017 6:40PM
    Cp 1490
    Xbox-EU-AD
    Khajiit Night blade Healer(BiS for cuteness)-Flawless Conquerer Grand Overlord
    Khajiit Stamsorc Werewolf, Flawless Conquerer (1st attempt ww form during the entire dungeon) main
    Khajiit(Master Race) Templar Healer, Flawless Conquerer
    Khajiit Stam dk, Flawless conquerer, 2nd attempt
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhCmVHwZioVyTEDberxGtA?view_as=public
    Werewolf Veteran player, Since Wrathstone-DLC "Raid-Wolf", 50k dps with fracture, Pvp Healer.
    Options
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'm gonna bust out my stamden, I know for me, the biggest issue, is dealing with defile. Yes warden has a spot heal, but sustained pressure and defile makes me turtle and if I turtle too long I run dry and die
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
    Options
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think I'm gonna bust out my stamden, I know for me, the biggest issue, is dealing with defile. Yes warden has a spot heal, but sustained pressure and defile makes me turtle and if I turtle too long I run dry and die

Get off the back bar long enough to use sub, when it goes off you'll usually have a window open to switch back to offense
    Options
  • Malic
    Malic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stam DK is in a tough spot for burst. I mean you can WB spam I guess, lol.
    Options
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Malic wrote: »
    Stam DK is in a tough spot for burst. I mean you can WB spam I guess, lol.

Because it was literally designed for high TTK style of PvP.
    Notice how I say was

Stamden is literally stamDk with actual burst, utility, everything..
    Its disgusting if you ask my opinion.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on November 19, 2017 7:42AM
    Options
  • Hecker777
    Hecker777
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that sWarden is super potent rn. The only thing that non warden players need to keep in mind is that landing Sub Assault isn't easy. If you move properly, or CC/knockback the chances of it hitting are low. If you can keep a warden from landing that you have a good chance of killing them. That's why I run the masters DW bleed. When I'm up against a mobile enemy that can dodge them I use it to put pressure and put them on defense. usually the get distracted and then I can land it. Also don't forget, wardens lack a class CC so that adds to the difficulty of landing Sub.
    Core- Fear is Failure

690+ CP PC NA
    Options