The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Help with Magdk

MonoAlv96
MonoAlv96
✭✭
Hey guys i need some help with my magdk, i have tried different setups but I still can't feel comfortable in cyrodil.I have gone from shackle/sun to shackle/alteration now.I run 5heavy2light
So I have a couple of questions
How am I going to permablock running witchmothers?Should I run tristat instead?
What glyphs should I run on jewelry?
Is heavy better than light?
What is bis right now for magdk?I main a magsorc and have never played another character so I never played around with these sets.

I almost always run solo or duo.
  • Vesper_BR
    Vesper_BR
    ✭✭✭
    3 tri stats glyphs on big parts. HA - 02 REDUCE COSTS one SD.
    VESPER BR - MAGICKA DRAGONKNIGHT - GRAND OVERLORD + FLAWLESS CONQUEROR (1070 CP / 01-01-2018)
    XBOX ONE - NA - EBONHEART PACT BRASIL
  • Vesper_BR
    Vesper_BR
    ✭✭✭
    You will get about 15k Stam, it's more than enough to block cast... Just don't sit there like a rock only blocking... Open it when your enemy is stuned or you have cc immunity.
    Edited by Vesper_BR on October 29, 2017 3:29PM
    VESPER BR - MAGICKA DRAGONKNIGHT - GRAND OVERLORD + FLAWLESS CONQUEROR (1070 CP / 01-01-2018)
    XBOX ONE - NA - EBONHEART PACT BRASIL
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    MonoAlv96 wrote: »
    Hey guys i need some help with my magdk, i have tried different setups but I still can't feel comfortable in cyrodil.I have gone from shackle/sun to shackle/alteration now.I run 5heavy2light

Define "not comfortable." Are you having problems with damage? Sustain? Survivability?
    Use the UESP build editor to calculate your block cost using sturdy traits and block cost reduction glyphs and even slotted skills. To really permablock, you need like 15k stam and a block cost of about ~500 or lower. However... if you are really invested to that extent, don't expect to kill anyone.
    Depends on goals.
    IMO, unless you are a dedicated tank right now the answer is no.
    What is bis right now for magdk?I main a magsorc and have never played another character so I never played around with these sets.

It is much, much hard to kill on mag DK than mag sorc. If you get the drop on someone you have a better chance, but unlike sorc it's very hard to turn a situation where you are on the defense around to offense and be able to kill quickly.

Without a doubt Dunmer is BiS race for a non-tank, and vamp is virtually required. But there are a number of viable setups. Skoria and Bloodspawn and favorites for good reason. Sun, Burning Spellweave, Shacklebreaker, Desert Rose and Impregnable are all good sets. Even Rattlecage, Wyrd Tree and other less-used sets are potentially viable. People use dual S&B or back bar destro or resto or even dual wield on bar. You are going to have to find what works for you. The only setup I would strongly recommend against is destro/restro or destro/destro -- you need a defense bar.

I would shoot for a 10k whip tooltip with 8k+ penetration, at least 30% crit, 25k resists... and don't permablock.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    How to "permablock" and have perfect magika sustain and decent damage.

5-1-1 light
    5 impregnable
    5 desert rose(alteration mastery is the second alternative but nowhere close to the magika sustain)
    2 skoria

All sturdy, double SnB, tri glyphs

Also, argonian master race. It's the best pvp race for most magika builds
    Edited by Lexxypwns on October 29, 2017 7:31PM
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Magicka DK is still missing some skills and passives, so that could be part of the issue, but I felt like my no-CP damage wasn't nearly good enough in Impregnable and Bloodthorn. I'm not entirely sure what they're wearing, but there are some Magicka DKs that put up pretty incredible damage, while having some of the best survivability out there for offensive Magicka builds.

There are a couple of Mag DKs that I've seen go full on 100% offense, and rarely if ever block, and their damage can get even crazier (though that typically makes them pretty squishy). I remember one guy in what I believe was a premade that I could almost burst down on my own if I caught him off guard, which isn't true for the vast majority of Mag DK, but at the end of the BG he had 1.8 million total damage (with 2nd place being a little under 1 million).
  • MonoAlv96
    MonoAlv96
    ✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »

Define "not comfortable." Are you having problems with damage? Sustain? Survivability?
    Use the UESP build editor to calculate your block cost using sturdy traits and block cost reduction glyphs and even slotted skills. To really permablock, you need like 15k stam and a block cost of about ~500 or lower. However... if you are really invested to that extent, don't expect to kill anyone.
    Depends on goals.
    IMO, unless you are a dedicated tank right now the answer is no.

It is much, much hard to kill on mag DK than mag sorc. If you get the drop on someone you have a better chance, but unlike sorc it's very hard to turn a situation where you are on the defense around to offense and be able to kill quickly.

Without a doubt Dunmer is BiS race for a non-tank, and vamp is virtually required. But there are a number of viable setups. Skoria and Bloodspawn and favorites for good reason. Sun, Burning Spellweave, Shacklebreaker, Desert Rose and Impregnable are all good sets. Even Rattlecage, Wyrd Tree and other less-used sets are potentially viable. People use dual S&B or back bar destro or resto or even dual wield on bar. You are going to have to find what works for you. The only setup I would strongly recommend against is destro/restro or destro/destro -- you need a defense bar.

I would shoot for a 10k whip tooltip with 8k+ penetration, at least 30% crit, 25k resists... and don't permablock.

Surviviabilty mostly, I am way more tanker on my sorc lol were I can hold up against 5 guys, on my mag dk not against one good player even running 27k resistances.

My goal si tu run solo or duo successfully, surviving and being able to kill timing burst.

Yes I feel it is much hard to kill on magic but I also feel im killed much easier, that is why I feel disappointed.Im on a dark elf and run double s/b
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surviviabilty mostly, I am way more tanker on my sorc lol were I can hold up against 5 guys, on my mag dk not against one good player even running 27k resistances.

My goal si tu run solo or duo successfully, surviving and being able to kill timing burst.

Yes I feel it is much hard to kill on magic but I also feel im killed much easier, that is why I feel disappointed.Im on a dark elf and run double s/b

Ah. Well, that's just magDK. :'( Sorc *is* tankier and does more damage; sorc defenses and offense scale together, whereas on DK it contradicts each other in most cases.

You goal is achieveable, but mDK has a high skill floor. There are a few guys out there that have played mDK since beta and they make it look so easy, right? :D When you see a magDK do good damage plus have high survivability, that's more player than gear. Knowing when to block, dodge, shield or when to take the hit is key; and a lot of that is just plain experience and time spent with the class. The better you get at this, the more you can invest in offense. Same with resource management.

For survivability you also need to layer your healing sources; mDK has a lot of healing tied up in damage. CDB is a good heal but if you are stopping your offense in combat to pop CDB it's a bad sign for the outcome of that battle.

• Braedon998
    My build is
    Shackle (3 Heavy on Body) (S&B both bars) Nirn sword on front infused on back flame on nirn and weapon dmg on infused
    2 Desert Rose on body (Light armor no variance) with 3 Jewelry (2 Reduce Cost) (1 Mag Recovery)
    2 Heavy Skoria

Atronach Mundus
    Vampire
    Dunmer

Tri-stat food and I only have about one Tristat glyph on armor at given time would like to increast to 2 or 3 but maybe later

Also Run impen on at least 5 body pieces either reinforced shields or sturdy shields two sturdy or well-fitted armor pieces or if needed 7 impen (Then also put some points into resistance to get around 2k crit resist)

Note*- No one's magdk build will make you a living god in pvp, take time to learn the play style and slow yourself down to make wise decisions. I have been playing it for a few months now and I am just now getting to the point where I can reliably 1v1 someone. 1v2 is getting easier but not there yet. With time you will get better and sets will mean a little less.

Also I run molten armaments instead of entropy to help out my group if I have one, but run Entropy for solo. Keeps it up longer too.

Base Stats about (In cyrodil): 27k health, 18-19k stam, 37-38k mag
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Permablock extreme tank build is a rather different kind of build. I think you mean how can you block for longer period of time? The answer is more sturdy pieces, drink tripots and use earthen heart helping hands to get stamina while blocking. (block casting obsidian shard good for this) Or go for ulti-regen build

try 2 spell damage, 1 cost reduction

Personally I like 5 light 2 heavy better