The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Lorewise did CWC fall after the death of seht?

Aliyavana
Aliyavana
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Seeing CWC in its prime and seeing its unique culture and steampunk architure that I fangirled over, I wanted to ask... did it stop functioning after seht died leaving its inhabitants dead and secrets dead? It would be a shame to have all that progress lost like the dwemers because almalexia went crazy
Edited by Aliyavana on October 28, 2017 4:09AM
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd imagine so.

Seht is the heart and soul of the city. And I imagine that without him, the light there would fade, and everything would wind down to a standstill.

He wanted to create a reflection of the Dwemmer and ended up going the same way as them.

Kinda poetic if you think about it.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reading the lore about the Dunmer's precious Tribunal utterly falling apart and going murderous bonkers is beautiful.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Reading the lore about the Dunmer's precious Tribunal utterly falling apart and going murderous bonkers is beautiful.

As beautiful as argonian style armor :/
  • Shawn_PT
    Shawn_PT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to wonder why are people in CWC at all? I was under the impression that it was a crazy god-wannabe's pet project which he kept and worked in in the utmost secrecy.

Iirc CWC is old and in disrepair when players visit it during Morrowind, and full of 'monsters' left behind, in this case the unfortunate fabricants. I may be wrong though since I did not play the game far enough to get to that point, but there were probably no humans there at all.
  • PrinceShroob
    PrinceShroob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shawn_PT wrote: »
    I have to wonder why are people in CWC at all? I was under the impression that it was a crazy god-wannabe's pet project which he kept and worked in in the utmost secrecy.

Iirc CWC is old and in disrepair when players visit it during Morrowind, and full of 'monsters' left behind, in this case the unfortunate fabricants. I may be wrong though since I did not play the game far enough to get to that point, but there were probably no humans there at all.

According to Almalexia herself, she slew Sotha Sil after recovering the Mazed Band. That means that Sotha Sil has been dead for a little while, at least, when she sends the Nerevarine to the Clockwork City.
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the city seems self sufficient. But they must have realised Sotha Sil wasn’t coming back after a while.

Or maybe Almalexia killed them all.
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • SanTii.92
    SanTii.92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reported for the spoilers.
    When the snows fall and the white winds blow,
    the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.

Arg | Pc Na | Factionless Mag Warden.
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SanTii.92 wrote: »

The death of Seht is an event that is referenced in lore in other Elder Scrolls games. It is hardly a spoiler relative to this game.

You should really read up on your lore.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Spoilers from a 2002 game? Really?
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • Xoelarasizerer
    Xoelarasizerer
    ✭✭✭
    Everybody dies. Everybody poops. Everybody has a skeleton inside of them. (happy halloweenie!) >:)

But yeah, the OP is referencing The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. S.S probably isn't gonna kick the bucket in the ESO DLC.

Also just another chance to say this, everytime the subject is brought up,
    *clears throat* Almalexia is a walking Trash Can with lips and hair, filled with pure garbage.
    Edited by Xoelarasizerer on October 28, 2017 6:57AM
  • Shawn_PT
    Shawn_PT
    ✭✭✭✭✭

According to Almalexia herself, she slew Sotha Sil after recovering the Mazed Band. That means that Sotha Sil has been dead for a little while, at least, when she sends the Nerevarine to the Clockwork City.

I'm aware of that. But the original question was what had happened to the human inhabitants. I would have figured there were never any to begin with since the city was, again, a sort of super secret laboratory where he made horrible experiments involving cutting creatures apart and turning them into steampunk cyborgs. And they're all so happy about it they don't hesitate about chewing the face off of anyone who comes close.

And if there were humans there they were possibly just fodder for his experiments on yanking souls out of living organisms and forever trapping them in gems/mechanical bodies. I'm also willing to believe it was neither fun nor pleasant. Just look at AS.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    NPC in CWC saying thy didn't see Seht for a long time, so knowledge that he won't return won't be that shocking for them. They will have just to take control in their hands instead of hoping on gods.
  • Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vrienda wrote: »

Spoilers from a 2002 game? Really?

I think he was joking.
  • Trainwiz
    Trainwiz
    ✭✭
    Short answer is probably not. Sotha Sil is dead by the time of Tribunal but the city is able to run without him.
    Long answer is over time it might go haywire, the city is shown to be able to operate without him but still require intervention in extreme circumstances. Given how much he probably modified the city in the centuries since ESO, it might be able to run even after his death, especially since
    Sotha Sil knows his eventual death is certain.

But don't worry, there's a certain someone out there who takes over running the city after his death.
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The Clockwork City is also often referred to as some kind of mirror or image of Nirn, to study the inner workings of the world. When playing Morrowind, since the CWC was just machinery, I just assumed that it was limited to that.
    But if it really is a concentrated image of the world, it's only logical that there are people in it. (When you find the Outlaws Refuge, someone wonders why such a thing even exists in a place like that. Answer: Because it's part of how the world works.)

The problem with the city in Morrowind was not only that Sotha Sil was dead for some time. The Tribunal didn't have access to the source of their divine power sine 2E882, i.e. about 300 years after the events of ESO, and c. 450 years before the events of MW:Tribunal. Sotha Sil's power had been fading for centuries at that point, and if the Clockwork City had been weakened by that, it was not a sudden event.

I would assume that the loss of Sotha Sil's divinity would eventually cause the CWC to crumble and stop working - except someone took over. If he had managed to create something on that scale with his divine power that outlasted the loss of that power, that would've been quite an extraordinary achievement. So maybe he pulled it off. :smiley:
  • Dystopia2020
    Dystopia2020
    ✭✭✭
    As I understand it CWC is an expansion of Sil, even the factotums have access to his memory; listen to what they say next time they do their "dreaming...dreaming" thing.

I don't think anyone could do what Sil does, it might work but it really wouldn't be CWC unless controlled by Sil's memories? IDK

Varana wrote: »
    The Clockwork City is also often referred to as some kind of mirror or image of Nirn, to study the inner workings of the world. When playing Morrowind, since the CWC was just machinery, I just assumed that it was limited to that.
    But if it really is a concentrated image of the world, it's only logical that there are people in it. (When you find the Outlaws Refuge, someone wonders why such a thing even exists in a place like that. Answer: Because it's part of how the world works.)

The apostles think CWC is a perfected version of Nirn, not just a mirror
    Edited by Dystopia2020 on October 30, 2017 4:18PM
    Apotheosis Priori~ EP Altmer Vamplar
    Illumanatus Priori~ EP Altmer Mag Sorc
    Apostate Priori~ EP Altmer Mag DK
    Apostate De'Void~ (retired) AD Altmer crafter
    PC/ NA, Vivec
    This is the Spiral Skein. The tower is One. The strands are Eight. The lessons are Forever.
    "No really, I AM an Ayleid".
  • thawks
    thawks
    ✭✭✭
    The storyline of the next Elder Scrolls: Legends expansion supposedly takes place in the Clockwork City in the Fourth Era. While the story's truthfulness is questionable (it is portrayed as a story told by an in-universe character), it seems like there were no mortal lifeforms in the city for centuries after (and possibly before) Sotha Sil's death, and the city fell into ruin. The Factotums eventually evolved beyond their programming and have learned to collectively repair and upgrade themselves, however. Mortal adventurers and treasure hunters eventually found a way to return to the city, and that's where the story begins.
    Edited by thawks on November 2, 2017 5:04PM
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

He occasionally brings in assistants for projects, and every once in a while someone gets stranded there by accident.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.