The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Change name of Guard to Troll

Crom_CCCXVI
Crom_CCCXVI
✭✭✭✭✭
Why is "guard" in the game?
It is only used for trolling.
CP is already barely playable, it's essentially zergs trying to beat down no death builds.--- and we have "gaurd" which lets two no death builds be even trollier so an even bigger zerg is needed to kill them.

this game is really getting stupid.
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Big issue is the way block cost is calculated or the fact that block casting is possible. Zos has gone through many changes to block and every one has failed for its intended purpose and instead hurt all other builds that try to re-actively block. This game's pvp is so easy to abuse.
    PS4 NA DC
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its probably in the game because it gives a nice stamina option for the Support skill line and it also gives stamina characters the opportunity to intercept projectiles. Its also an alternative to the PVP Heavy Armor set Beckoning Steel, or the magicka skills that let DKs reflect projectiles and Wardens absorb them.

Admittedly, I think I've seen the Guard skill used once, ever, in the time I've been PVPing, so I can only assume that the stam cost is prohibitive in most forms of PVP combat since stamina is at a premium for blocking, dodging, breaking free, and running away. However, I can see where it would get annoying in very small groups where its harder to keep up the pressure necessary to drain the Guard-user's stamina.
  • SienneYviete
    SienneYviete
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its probably in the game because it gives a nice stamina option for the Support skill line and it also gives stamina characters the opportunity to intercept projectiles. Its also an alternative to the PVP Heavy Armor set Beckoning Steel, or the magicka skills that let DKs reflect projectiles and Wardens absorb them.

Admittedly, I think I've seen the Guard skill used once, ever, in the time I've been PVPing, so I can only assume that the stam cost is prohibitive in most forms of PVP combat since stamina is at a premium for blocking, dodging, breaking free, and running away. However, I can see where it would get annoying in very small groups where its harder to keep up the pressure necessary to drain the Guard-user's stamina.

Guard got changed a long time ago it doesn't intercept projectiles nor drain stamina anymore.
    Delta
    Valheru's
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guard got changed a long time ago it doesn't intercept projectiles nor drain stamina anymore.

Huh, what'dya know, I'm looking at oudated info. Thanks for letting me know!

It's still the only stamina support skill, and somewhat limited by distance.
    Edited by VaranisArano on October 20, 2017 2:44AM
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Guard is insanely stupid in battlegrounds. @Gilliamtherogue can attest to this through math and magic and numbers
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guard is almost exactly copied from Warhammer Online's guard.

But there it made sense, since your class determined your role. Only healer classes could heal. Only tank classes could tank and dps classes were squishy - as were healer classes.

Now it was a game of focus-fire rather than AOE's.. without focus-fire, the combination of a tanks taunts/challenges/cc - and healers heals was usually enough to keep most people alive..

But with attacker working together to focus down a single target at a time, what swung it was the tank and his guard. A good tank on the defensive team would quickly switch guard to whoever was about to get focussed and so halve his damage taken. This was often the difference between whether the healer could keep the target alive or not.
    If not, the attackers would switch targets - and the tank and healer had better be able to switch guard/heal targets quick enough to keep up!
    Now the tank took damage from guard, yes - but not only did the initial target have a chance to block/parry the attack, also the tank had a chance to block/parry the guarded damage - reducing it more. It spread focussed fire over 2 targets, therefore halving the effect of that focus.
    It was balanced there because it took a lot of skill to use well. Heavy-dps builds simply could not be aggressive without the support of a healer and tank..
    And although there were problems with tanks guarding each-other, they could never heal themselves reliably, and could never put out the damage of a real dps class.

I never understood why they put guard in this game when everyone can do damage, heals and have survivability all in one.

Edited by Biro123 on October 20, 2017 3:46PM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Good.

Why shouldn't people have an advantage over zergs?
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ak_pvp wrote: »
    Good.

Why shouldn't people have an advantage over zergs?

As I understand the contention here, the problem isn't the 2 v Zerg, as much as it is the 2vsmall group in CP PVP or 2v4v4 in battlegrounds. However, while I can see that guard could be a problem when combined with various "unkillable" builds that everyone loves to complain about in CP PVP, everyone likes to assure me that No CP PVP is so balanced that no one is unkillable, so surely guard shouldn't be that much of a problem in current No CP Battlegrounds.

So what I suspect is the issue is that builds use guard in pre-made groups that becomes very annoying in Battlegrounds or small group combat in Cyrodiil. Like I said above though, I've seen guard used maybe once in the time I've PVPed in CP campaigns.
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've got a mate that runs Guard + Vanguards Challenge in PvP.

Pretty hilarious build all things in considered.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds