Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Inappropriate character name

npuk
npuk
✭✭✭
One of my guild mate got an email from ESO yesterday informing them that their character name was inappropriate and they would have to change it on the next login, but we cant work out how it is inappropriate, please could someone shed some light on this, @ZOS_GinaBruno @Turelus, the name in question is "A Owl" and was made a year ago.
The Sacrificial Warriors GMXbox One EU:18x CP Chars (2300+ CP)Xbox One NA: 3x CP Chars (800+ CP)Xbox One (alt) EU:5x CP Chars (1500+ CP)Xbox One (alt 2) EU:1x CP Chars (450+ CP)PC EU: 1x CP Char (400+ CP)
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure that's the character being referred to?

At any rate, the forums isn't the place for discussion on such topics ... either change it or send in a ticket on the off chance it was a mistake by ZOS.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, duh... it should be 'An Owl'
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps a grammer *** reported this.
  • npuk
    npuk
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure that's the character being referred to?

At any rate, the forums isn't the place for discussion on such topics ... either change it or send in a ticket on the off chance it was a mistake by ZOS.

100% sure, she read the email out to me.

Well, duh... it should be 'An Owl'

Have a little YouTube of "Phoneshop - Mr Wise (A Owl)" thats where it came from LOL
    The Sacrificial Warriors GMXbox One EU:18x CP Chars (2300+ CP)Xbox One NA: 3x CP Chars (800+ CP)Xbox One (alt) EU:5x CP Chars (1500+ CP)Xbox One (alt 2) EU:1x CP Chars (450+ CP)PC EU: 1x CP Char (400+ CP)
  • RouDeR
    RouDeR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has similar pronouncement to a**hole so it seems legit to be inappropriete ^^
  • Zagnut123Zagnut123
    Zagnut123Zagnut123
    ✭✭✭✭
    they ridiculous with the name change *** in this game ffs are the devs afraid someone's going to be offended by A Owl but cool with how the the vampire in the vampire skill line quest was *** by molag ball. just saying this is an adult game. grow a spine zos.
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RouDeR wrote: »
    It has similar pronouncement to a**hole so it seems legit to be inappropriete ^^

How in the world do they share pronunciation? You may need to Re-English yourself. I'm all about shutting down inappropriate names, but this one has me stumped.
    Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RouDeR wrote: »

How in the world do they share pronunciation? You may need to Re-English yourself. I'm all about shutting down inappropriate names, but this one has me stumped.

Agreed. I am trying to work up the nerve to write a private message and ask.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cause AOWL us a "musician" as much as du step is music. No living person or thing can be used as a character name

https://youtu.be/Ziq7U1jPbt4
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • FiveDinosaur792
    FiveDinosaur792
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

This was my character. The characters name wasnt *aowl* it was *a owl*. She also has a halloween owl mask and trinimacs wings, the name taken from a sketch on phoneshop about poor grammar. It doesnt sound like anything offensive or breach any copywrite. To be honest I have seen loads of character names that are much, much worse.

When I got this message I appealed it and got a really lovely message from the devs or whoever deals with this stuff apoligising for the error and saying I could change it back no problem. Saltyness was probably the root of why someone complained, being a guild master of a big guild occasionally you just do get stuff plus I have been online gaming since 1999 and have never had a problem, ever. It was out of the ordinary and very weird. A long time ago I helped GM in everquest, and although I was surprised at getting this notice I was very happy with how quickly the mistake was fixed and how polite the staff were regarding my issue. Thank you very much jcmlong for raising the issue here, your support is always appreciated:) xx
    FiveDinosaur792 GM of Pheasant Pluckers Guild on EU/Xbox
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

This was my character. The characters name wasnt *aowl* it was *a owl*. She also has a halloween owl mask and trinimacs wings, the name taken from a sketch on phoneshop about poor grammar. It doesnt sound like anything offensive or breach any copywrite. To be honest I have seen loads of character names that are much, much worse.

When I got this message I appealed it and got a really lovely message from the devs or whoever deals with this stuff apoligising for the error and saying I could change it back no problem. Saltyness was probably the root of why someone complained, being a guild master of a big guild occasionally you just do get stuff plus I have been online gaming since 1999 and have never had a problem, ever. It was out of the ordinary and very weird. A long time ago I helped GM in everquest, and although I was surprised at getting this notice I was very happy with how quickly the mistake was fixed and how polite the staff were regarding my issue. Thank you very much jcmlong for raising the issue here, your support is always appreciated:) xx

We're not the ones you need to convince. Once ZOS decides something is inappropriate, it's best just to do what they say. I see nothing wrong with the name personally other than the horrendous grammar, but that doesn't matter. It would be nice if they let you know what was wrong with it so you don't make a similar mistake again, but at the end of the day if they decided, they wanted you to change it you pretty much have to do that.

It's great that the appeal process worked for you, but I have to wonder what caused the original message. Do they not have a real person checking these names out? Seems like a system set up for abuse if not.
    Edited by redspecter23 on November 1, 2017 8:14PM
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A friend of mine had an Argonian named "Seen-enough-..." and then the japanese word for pervert. Apparently ZOS thinks animated/drawn japanese *** is inappropriate and the word for it is inappropriate too, because he too had to change his name.
    The censorship of them is a pain when writing in other languages too. Random words get censored because they sound like inappropriate english words. Good thing the profanity filter can be turned off.
    Edited by Ratzkifal on November 17, 2017 9:24AM
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    The censorship of them is a pain when writing in other languages too. Random words get censored because they sound like inappropriate english words. Good thing the profanity filter can be turned off.

It is a common practice to deliberately use foreign words that can sound like profanity, not to mention simply using profanity from other languages.
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've often wondered if a big group, maybe even a full guild, of people reported someone for an inappropriate name would force a name change without human interaction from ZOS. To the point one of the users could later take the name for themselves as it's not really offensive.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs