The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Shacklebreaker Appreciation Thread

Sixty5
Sixty5
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
We all know it, we all love it, it works on any build and on any class.

It doesn't work through a proc, it doesn't promote a cancerous playstyle.

It is easy to get, and will always look swanky thanks to the plethora of fashionable motifs.

So join with me in saying thank you to Shacklebreaker, the pizza of PVP sets.
Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya but RIP to heavy armor Shacklebreaker sets
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always nice to be able to actually use that magicka heal on my stamina werewolf, yes :)
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sixty5 wrote: »

It is easy to get, and will always look swanky thanks to the plethora of fashionable motifs.

With ZOS-logic it should therefore be nerfed, since so many players use it. You know, to promote diversity.....
  • Shadzilla
    Shadzilla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another amazing crafted set, so easy to obtain and so well performing.
    Edited by Shadzilla on October 17, 2017 6:12AM
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »

With ZOS-logic it should therefore be nerfed, since so many players use it. You know, to promote diversity.....

Nah it's fine, since the set is locked behind morrowind paywall.

Plus shacklebreaker is just generically good, it doesn't overperform in any single aspect.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Plus shacklebreaker is just generically good, it doesn't overperform in any single aspect.

I´m all on your side. I think Shackle is a balanced set.

A lot of sets has been nerfed even though they didn´t overperform. Just take BSW as an example. Had a friend who did a few dps tests, comparing Julianos and BSW. With BSW he got a 17% dps increase, and with Julianos he got a 15% dps increase. This was before they nerfed BSW. Still BSW was nerfed due to people saying it was "BiS for everything" and almost everyone used it on magicka DPS back a few patches. But was it overperforming?? Not really if you ask me. #zoslogic
  • Shadzilla
    Shadzilla
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of sets has been nerfed even though they didn´t overperform. Just take BSW as an example. Had a friend who did a few dps tests, comparing Julianos and BSW. With BSW he got a 17% dps increase, and with Julianos he got a 15% dps increase. This was before they nerfed BSW. Still BSW was nerfed due to people saying it was "BiS for everything" and almost everyone used it on magicka DPS back a few patches. But was it overperforming?? Not really if you ask me. #zoslogic

Yea that was back when lightning wasn't even used much. BSW needs some love.
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shadzilla wrote: »

Yea that was back when lightning wasn't even used much. BSW needs some love.

It didn't give minor vulnerability back then. Fire was much better.

• teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

may I ask you why do you say that? Explain us please in what affects the nerf to the Shacklebreaker set. Beacause you know this kind of comments, without solid fundaments, only generates confusion and panic.

The "changes" to heavy armor affects ALL heavy armor sets and what they did, was only remove the stack of weapon/ spell damage, that's it.

Now tell us where is the big big nerf.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    teladoy wrote: »

may I ask you why do you say that? Explain us please in what affects the nerf to the Shacklebreaker set. Beacause you know this kind of comments, without solid fundaments, only generates confusion and panic.

The "changes" to heavy armor affects ALL heavy armor sets and what they did, was only remove the stack of weapon/ spell damage, that's it.

It´s a small nerf for magicka players that utilizes Heavy armor (so correct about shackle not being directly affected). Stamina player still got some really good sets to buff their weapon-damage up. Magicka DD´s doesn´t have many option to buff their spell-damage the same way with heavy-armor sets (only I can think of right now is Rattlecage)But then again, 200 spell/weapon damage doesn´t break any builds, and if it does, it´s a *** build.
  • Conduit0
    Conduit0
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It´s a small nerf for magicka players that utilizes Heavy armor (so correct about shackle not being directly affected). Stamina player still got some really good sets to buff their weapon-damage up. Magicka DD´s doesn´t have many option to buff their spell-damage the same way with heavy-armor sets (only I can think of right now is Rattlecage)But then again, 200 spell/weapon damage doesn´t break any builds, and if it does, it´s a *** build.

Its not even a small nerf to magicka players. Wrath's importance in heavy armor pvp builds is vastly overstated by heavy armor meta haters. To get the full benefit of wrath you have to be hit 20 times with less than 5 seconds between hits and then you have to continue being hit in less than 5 second intervals to maintain the buff. When does that actually happen? You either have to be perma-blocker in which case the extra 200 weapon/spell damage doesn't mean squat because you hit like a wet noodle, or you have a pocket healer and if the enemies are dumb enough to ignore your healer you'll kill them either way, the wrath buff just might shave off a few seconds from the fight.
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I love this set no special procs just great stats all around very balance. Was not to sure about it at first but my friends kept pushing me to try it. Loved it right away plus I did not have to wear any ugly drop set.
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Heavy shackle gets hit decently hard by the changes since it sacrifices raw damage for utility and sustain. This means that the 200 weapon/spell damage loss is a bigger percentage of your availabile damage.

Still not a big hit.

• Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only request with this set would be to craft jewelry so I can use it with hundings or Julianos maybe. But shackle and hundings would be such a solid, good clean fun setup.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shacklebreaker is just a good base set to start from. Regardless of build/class. Its not providing too much dmg or too much sustain, it provides stats and sustain in a unique combo imo. Also its crafted, so I dont have to grind for it(wich is #1 reason i like it)

PC EU
    PvP only
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Why? Because heavy armour lost it's unnecessary damage passive?
    PC EU
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

BSW was overperforming on certain magika builds, allowing you to front bar it and get 900 spell damage from a set that only needs to be on one bar was too strong. BSW/Lich/Pirate was a large contributor to "sorc is op" at the time since it offered perfect synergy between 3 sets and fit the mag sorc so well
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why? Because heavy armour lost it's unnecessary damage passive?

Mag DK get so few breaks, it was nice to have the wrath passive in 5 heavy Shacklebreaker, with the change it won't be as effective.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It effects Mag DK that use the Wrath passive 5 piece, the set gives Mag DK nice stats, especially paired with SnB.

Now you could switch to light Shacklebreaker and it would still probably work, but you go back into the pidgeonhole of being glass cannon.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Pay wall didnt stop black rose from becoming FOTM and getting nerfed to the point of being literally the most garbage,useless set in the game. I really do hope shacklebreaker does not end the same way.
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Pay wall didnt stop black rose from becoming FOTM and getting nerfed to the point of being literally the most garbage,useless set in the game. I really do hope shacklebreaker does not end the same way.

Black rose still enables a lot of sustain, even with the nerfs and the constitution passive being toned down. The problem is the meta has shifted and Black Rose just doesn't give enough damage or tankiness to be worth it over other sets.

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like Amberplasm more.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    I like Amberplasm more.

That sounds like heresy to me

• BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cant wait to add pineapples to it
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like Amberplasm more.

I run 5 Julianos + 5 Amberplasm (I have sharp sword front bar and lightning staff on backbar from that set) + 2 Skoria on my MagPlar, and I always have full stamina. IMO having high stamina recovery is more important than a large pool for a magicka character. I have no trouble blocking or breaking CC. And all the 2/3/4p bonuses are good for magicka, not split between magicka and stamina. Sitting at 1.45K magicka recovery with Whichmother's Brew (Skoria makes up for the missing health), 800 stamina recovery, 53.5% spell critical, 3.5K spell damage (I run Apprentice mundus) and almost 40K magicka is not bad.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All HA just lost equivalent of the shackle breaker 5 piece
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like Amberplasm more.

I run 5 Julianos + 5 Amberplasm (I have sharp sword front bar and lightning staff on backbar from that set) + 2 Skoria on my MagPlar, and I always have full stamina. IMO having high stamina recovery is more important than a large pool for a magicka character. I have no trouble blocking or breaking CC. And all the 2/3/4p bonuses are good for magicka, not split between magicka and stamina. Sitting at 1.45K magicka recovery with Whichmother's Brew (Skoria makes up for the missing health), 800 stamina recovery, 53.5% spell critical, 3.5K spell damage (I run Apprentice mundus) and almost 40K magicka is not bad.

Shacklebreaker isn't the best set in the game, hell it isn't even best in slot for a lot of builds.

However it is easy to get and works well on any build.

Amber Plasm is to shacklebreaker what a hot dog is to pizza.

Similar, but one is more versatile and ubiquitous.

• Cage_Lizardman
    Cage_Lizardman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a very sneaky nerf sorc thread...?
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    something that good desires a NERF!

pls ZOS NERF IT NOW!

Edited by Azurya on October 17, 2017 12:44PM
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rex-Umbra wrote: »
    All HA just lost equivalent of the shackle breaker 5 piece

In terms of damage yes, but I'd say a single bonus that gives both max stats is worth more, given that in terms of weapon and spell damage you only really use one or the other, wheras magicka is useful on a stam build for utility spells, and stamina is useful on a magicka build for blocking, dodging and the like.