The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Thieves guild & Dark brotherhood and my stubbornness

AprilMoon
AprilMoon
Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to this game and I've decided that even know you get perks and things from treelines in guilds i'd rather RP it and keep each character in their respective guilds I know it might not be important to some people but in my head it feels wrong to have a Mage who joins the dark brotherhood...or a Dragonknight that joins the mages guild. So at the expense of missing out on some perks I've decided to do things how I feel they should be done. My mage ofcourse is honorable mage who is searching for books to progress her mages guild story and my Nightblade (which I just made.) He's going to be a Thief and join the thieves guild and eventually the dark brotherhood. I'm just curious though since my NB is level 3 how many levels I would get from completing both quild quest lines? or should I wait till level 50 to do them? What would be the best way to do this?

• AprilMoon
    AprilMoon
    Also will todays downtime include any sort of patches? like maybe this witches festival exp buff that everyone keeps telling me about? and how long does the downtime usually last?
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done both quest-lines, and I recommend doing Thieve's Guild first, so it's good that's what you were planning anyway. The reason is 1) Thieve's Guild is a little easier, and, more importantly, 2) Thieve's Guild gives you some passive skills that reduce your bounty if you get caught stealing/killing, and has a great skill called Clemency that gives you a once-a-day "get out of jail free" card ... that is, once a day you can escape from a guard if he catches you stealing/killing. (By "escape" I mean he'll decide to let you off the hook, and he'll just walk away the first time he catches you.)

You don't have to wait until level 50 to do either quest-line, though.

DB also has some passive skills that reduce a bounty for killing, but trust me, you really want to get Clemency first before you start the DB stuff.
    Edited by SydneyGrey on October 16, 2017 5:47AM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AprilMoon wrote: »
    ...or a Dragonknight that joins the mages guild.

Yeah, bad example. Every character in the game is a magicka user. DKs use a distinct magical discipline, which may be Akaviri in origin, but they're still a variety of mages. To be fair, your DK may be the kind of, "books are fer nerds," meathead, who would turn their noses up at the guild, but still. Taking Mage's Guild and Fighter's Guild makes sense for every character.

Think of the Second Era Fighters Guild as more of, "Professional Monster Hunters," than warriors palling around and murdering everything that looks at them funny.

The Second Era Mages' Guild is more of a, "recovering lost secrets," kind of thing.

That said, if you're doing a stam build on any character, you're not going to get much use out of Mages' Guild, except for Meteor and the first passive. Still, it is worth collecting.
  • AprilMoon
    AprilMoon

Yeah, bad example. Every character in the game is a magicka user. DKs use a distinct magical discipline, which may be Akaviri in origin, but they're still a variety of mages. To be fair, your DK may be the kind of, "books are fer nerds," meathead, who would turn their noses up at the guild, but still. Taking Mage's Guild and Fighter's Guild makes sense for every character.

Think of the Second Era Fighters Guild as more of, "Professional Monster Hunters," than warriors palling around and murdering everything that looks at them funny.

The Second Era Mages' Guild is more of a, "recovering lost secrets," kind of thing.

That said, if you're doing a stam build on any character, you're not going to get much use out of Mages' Guild, except for Meteor and the first passive. Still, it is worth collecting.

It's not really a bad example, Yes they may use Magicka and this game is diverse so you could technically have a mage running around in heavy armor wielding a two handed weapon and that is fine(for some people.) Not for me. So maybe for you it was a bad example but for me it really isn't when I think of joinin the mages guild I want to be in robes wielding a staff and when I think of joining the fighters guild I want to be fully kitted in heavy armor wieidling a shield and sword or a 2h sword. I like to take these types of games slow and really try get involved and immersed in the story I did the same with The Old Republic.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a completionist character that has done db and thieves guild but I simply rp as if I'm not as those skillpoints are valuable
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also will todays downtime include any sort of patches? like maybe this witches festival exp buff that everyone keeps telling me about? and how long does the downtime usually last?

There will be a minor patch. Downtime usually lasts between 3-6 hours.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that membership in some of these guilds doesn't make sense, RP-wise. Why would a warrior that fights using physical strength join the mage's guild? Why would a priest (templar) in service to the gods join a band of assassins that murder senselessly (the first quest asks you to murder an innocent to prove your worth)?

You can just not do them on every character, or do them, but pretend you didn't.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on October 16, 2017 7:49AM
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I prefer playing characters with, uhm, flexible morals. But ESO does fall short if you want to play a noble character, simply a lot content you can't really justify doing from a roleplay/immersiveness point of view.
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not really a bad example, Yes they may use Magicka and this game is diverse so you could technically have a mage running around in heavy armor wielding a two handed weapon and that is fine(for some people.) Not for me. So maybe for you it was a bad example but for me it really isn't when I think of joinin the mages guild I want to be in robes wielding a staff and when I think of joining the fighters guild I want to be fully kitted in heavy armor wieidling a shield and sword or a 2h sword. I like to take these types of games slow and really try get involved and immersed in the story I did the same with The Old Republic.

It's a bad comparison because there is nothing to stop you from playing a Magical Dragonknight who wears robes and uses staffs. I even have a Dragonknight Healer. She is most definitely a Mage.

The point we're trying to make here is that unlike in some other games, a character's class does not dictate their build. You can play a Dragonknight Mage in Light Armor or a Sorcerer Tank in Heavy Armor. You can play a Nightblade as something other than a sneaky thief/murderer, if you like.

To answer your question, I am not sure how many levels a person would gain from completing a guild questline. It depends on what level you are when you begin and whether you use any EXP boosts, like ESO Plus membership, the forthcoming Witches Festival, Psijic Ambrosia, etc. Certainly, it isn't necessary to do every guild quest on every character - my first three characters (before ESO Plus or EXP boosting items existed) all reached maximum level just by completing all of the quests in their native zones and Coldharbour.

It is, however, a good idea to get the "Persuade" and "Intimidate" perks from the Mages and Fighters Guild, since these shortcut many other quests.
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
    Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The official description of DK includes " wield fearsome magic that pounds, shatters and physically alters the world around them". So I have no problem with my DKs being in the Mages Guild.

Particularly when you get the magelight bonus to magica... and give that an extra boost with meteor ;)
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that membership in some of these guilds doesn't make sense, RP-wise. Why would a warrior that fights using physical strength join the mage's guild? Why would a priest (templar) in service to the gods join a band of assassins that murder senselessly (the first quest asks you to murder an innocent to prove your worth)?

You can just not do them on every character, or do them, but pretend you didn't.

From a sense of narration it is fairly annoying how they did things. It would have been nice if choice were involved, even if it were to the point that you could rewrite history somehow (the Meridia involvement is interesting here in terms of her quests). In essence, one could in my argument say that their actions in the Dark Brotherhood were an 'alternate self' or an 'alternate possibility of self' that didn't count in the current instance of the world. I go along with this model but it still doesn't sit right with me either. Why can't our characters join the Iron Wheel or the Order of the Hour? It would have been easy to keep the story the same, but simply show different sides to the tale that result in essentially the same events. Many people in MMO's don't take the time to look at the narration which strikes me as odd. I see RPG games as semi-novels or quasi-tv series. As a self proclaimed tightwad I can't help but suck every bit of entertainment out of something I pay for, so I try to do all things in a game that I can do. Keeping up with the story is part of that to me.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys,
    I'm just curious though since my NB is level 3 how many levels I would get from completing both quild quest lines? or should I wait till level 50 to do them? What would be the best way to do this?

Not sure on how many levels you would get. But I would hold off on the TG until you have some skill points to spare for the nice passives you get from that guild. You do get some points for the TG stages, but not enough to invest in all the passives you may want. The FG Main Quest is not all that fat on Exp Points, so not too many levels with that.

Also, there are times that either Persuasion or Intimidation is nice to have for questing, so all my characters join both FG and MG even if they ignore them otherwise, just so I have those passives.

I have only been able to get one character to join the DB, all the rest avoid it. I have been talking to my MagSorc about the DB, but she just gives me that look and walks away from me muttering something about blood and manicures.

Edited by Nestor on October 16, 2017 7:05PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'm just curious though since my NB is level 3 how many levels I would get from completing both quild quest lines? or should I wait till level 50 to do them? What would be the best way to do this?

Not sure on how many levels you would get. But I would hold off on the TG until you have some skill points to spare for the nice passives you get from that guild. You do get some points for the TG stages, but not enough to invest in all the passives you may want. The FG Main Quest is not all that fat on Exp Points, so not too many levels with that.

Also, there are times that either Persuasion or Intimidation is nice to have for questing, so all my characters join both FG and MG even if they ignore them otherwise, just so I have those passives.

I have only been able to get one character to join the DB, all the rest avoid it. I have been talking to my MagSorc about the DB, but she just gives me that look and walks away from me muttering something about blood and manicures.

There is something to be said about this. Joining Undaunted, Mages, and Fighters Guild doesn't mean that you make a profession of these things. They're more about being useful societies to be a member of as an adventurer. Being a card carrying mages guild member gives you access to things, the same is true of Fighters Guild. Undaunted simply describes the madness of being an adventurer and a few tricks passed down between adventurers.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    baratron wrote: »
    The point we're trying to make here is that unlike in some other games, a character's class does not dictate their build. You can play a Dragonknight Mage in Light Armor or a Sorcerer Tank in Heavy Armor. You can play a Nightblade as something other than a sneaky thief/murderer, if you like.

People have predetermined misconceptions of classes because of other game's rigid class definitions. But this game is different in that regard. Just like some people think Nightblades are THE assassin class and can't be warriors, or mages or healers when they can be all of the above. People see the word knight in Dragonknight and assume they must be heavy armored warriors. Give them a stick and a robe and they're pyromancers or even healers, but... knight.

One of the nice things about this game is it'll teach you to let go of some of those stereotypes you've inherited and experiment a little, or a lot, and break that mold.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

From a sense of narration it is fairly annoying how they did things. It would have been nice if choice were involved, even if it were to the point that you could rewrite history somehow (the Meridia involvement is interesting here in terms of her quests). In essence, one could in my argument say that their actions in the Dark Brotherhood were an 'alternate self' or an 'alternate possibility of self' that didn't count in the current instance of the world. I go along with this model but it still doesn't sit right with me either. Why can't our characters join the Iron Wheel or the Order of the Hour? It would have been easy to keep the story the same, but simply show different sides to the tale that result in essentially the same events. Many people in MMO's don't take the time to look at the narration which strikes me as odd. I see RPG games as semi-novels or quasi-tv series. As a self proclaimed tightwad I can't help but suck every bit of entertainment out of something I pay for, so I try to do all things in a game that I can do. Keeping up with the story is part of that to me.

There is way too much railroading in this game. The guilds, especially DB are a prime example of that (you basically need to RP an "evil" character to join DB).

But even in the actual main story, there is little opportunity to make your own choices. In both Orsinium and Morrowind, you are forced to help some characters of questionable morality, and your character helps them without question, even if they aren't an Orc/Dark Elf.

I love your suggestion of being able to join the opposite faction. I've suggested this for the Orsinium/Morrowind stories before, but it makes even more sense for TG/DB because those stories are pretty much self-contained and don't affect the TES timeline.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on October 16, 2017 7:36PM
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

There is way too much railroading in this game. The guilds, especially DB are a prime example of that (you basically need to RP an "evil" character to join).

But even in the actual main story, there is little opportunity to make your own choices. In both Orsinium and Morrowind, you are forced to help some characters of questionable morality, and your character helps them without question, even if they aren't an Orc/Dark Elf.

I agree. In this sense it is very different in the way the game feels compared to previous games.
    <And plenty more>
  • Belyar
    Belyar
    ✭✭✭
    No offense but I'm glad there aren't many players like you.
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to this game and I've decided that even know you get perks and things from treelines in guilds i'd rather RP it and keep each character in their respective guilds I know it might not be important to some people but in my head it feels wrong to have a Mage who joins the dark brotherhood...or a Dragonknight that joins the mages guild. So at the expense of missing out on some perks I've decided to do things how I feel they should be done. My mage ofcourse is honorable mage who is searching for books to progress her mages guild story and my Nightblade (which I just made.) He's going to be a Thief and join the thieves guild and eventually the dark brotherhood. I'm just curious though since my NB is level 3 how many levels I would get from completing both quild quest lines? or should I wait till level 50 to do them? What would be the best way to do this?

It feels wrong to have a mage in the fighter's guild, or a DK in the mage's guild? Have you never heard of a battlemage, or a spellsword? The mage's guild even has an order of warriors that are part of the mage's guild who protect the squishy mages in dangerous areas. It's called the Order of the Lamp (in case you wanted to look it up). Also, the fighter's guild is basically a lawful mercenary guild, and there's nothing that says that a mercenary cannot be a mage. Also, you don't need to be a "sneak-thief" to be part of the DB of course. There's an Orc in Oblivion who in part of it, and he wears heavy armor, and fights with a 2H axe. (http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Gogron_gro-Bolmog)
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • PS4_ZeColmeia
    PS4_ZeColmeia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like when I read a thread like this, I just conclude "RPers have 0 imagination". Why can't your warrior have been dared to join the mages guild because he was so stupid he'd never make it anyways? Why not join the Dark Brotherhood to ensure they don't get out of line? Why not save Morrowind because, well, at last Dunmer aren't aren't Altmer...

Why not make a back story that doesn't box you into a corner?
    PSN: ***___Chan (3 _s)
    Hybrid, All-Role NB
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like when I read a thread like this, I just conclude "RPers have 0 imagination". Why can't your warrior have been dared to join the mages guild because he was so stupid he'd never make it anyways? Why not join the Dark Brotherhood to ensure they don't get out of line? Why not save Morrowind because, well, at last Dunmer aren't aren't Altmer...

What are you talking about? It is about the consistency of story, which most MMORPG's are horrible at. This game does fairly well but not near as well as Skyrim, Oblivion, or Morrowind. In the Venn diagram of players, I think you confuse 'People who care about Story' with 'RP'er' which may overlap but are certainly not the same thing. I'm not an RPer but I do care about story. I also favor PvP gameplay over PvE. Some people are an either/or crowd in this matter, and I'm not one of those. Again that is another Venn Diagram. I think your assessment that we 'lack creativity' is a way to say that we should *** ourselves about the consistency of the narrative. No matter what you do you have to wrap your brain in Mobius-pretzals of nonsense to make it possible to be both Hero and joining all guilds. Ultimately, a good story often involves choices, costs, pain, suffering, losses as well as victory, reward, accolades, etc. You need the lows and the highs. You can't be friends with everyone. This is something everyone viscerally knows. I can accept your 'superspy' theme but again this is to say that your character is quite morally slippery which is a form of confinement being placed on 'play how you want' isn't it? Many gloss over this concept. My choice is not to care and soak up the skill points, that's the PvP'er in me. The Reader in me finds it annoying however. Its bad writing, bad storytelling, but we do it anyway because many of us like winning more than we care about sustaining a logical story.

I personally think the game would be more interesting if choices mattered and each character you make were actually unique. I'm sure that I'm not alone in this, even in the Venn diagram of players who 'Like PvP'.
    <And plenty more>
  • AprilMoon
    AprilMoon
    What they should of done is added a bit more diversity to the guild questlines as a mage you ge
    Belyar wrote: »
    No offense but I'm glad there aren't many players like you.

None taken, A-hole. :D
    Edited by AprilMoon on October 17, 2017 9:15AM
  • AprilMoon
    AprilMoon
    Hi guys,

It feels wrong to have a mage in the fighter's guild, or a DK in the mage's guild? Have you never heard of a battlemage, or a spellsword? The mage's guild even has an order of warriors that are part of the mage's guild who protect the squishy mages in dangerous areas. It's called the Order of the Lamp (in case you wanted to look it up). Also, the fighter's guild is basically a lawful mercenary guild, and there's nothing that says that a mercenary cannot be a mage. Also, you don't need to be a "sneak-thief" to be part of the DB of course. There's an Orc in Oblivion who in part of it, and he wears heavy armor, and fights with a 2H axe. (http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Gogron_gro-Bolmog)

Yeah but the point is I"M NOT A BATTLE MAGE. What are you not understanding about that? I'm not going to be a mage and go do the fighters guild same goes for brotherhood and thieves guild. It's how I choose to play and I'm not going to be shoe horned into doing a guild that I don't believe I belong in.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    at least start the dark brotherhood first. backstab is such a useful ability and it will help with pickpocketing resets
  • stewhead2ub17_ESO
    stewhead2ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @AprilMoon & @MLGProPlayer :

As a RP'er I can respect your choices and decisions on your characters, but I would say imo (and as I RP my char's) there are no problems or conflicts with DK's joining and working for the Mages Guild. My DK's do it simply as a contract affiliation (mercenary type work). However I only have 1 thief toon that does the TG content & 1 other assassin type that does the DB content at this time. Enjoy!
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not necessary, even for RP purposes for a few reasons:
    1. Each guild has its own unique purpose
      • FG deals with anchors and all things oblivion
      • Undaunted deals with dungeon delving
      • MG is interested in books and all things arcane
      • ...so on
    2. Unlike in the standalone games, I've yet to come across a guild-conflicting quest of any kind. FG, for instance, is uninterested in justice (odd, I know) since they are not guards, and therefore have no conflict with TG/DB. The often use initimidate to sway things their direction in less than legally reasonable fashion.
    3. Each guild, and corresponding guildmaster would likely say the ends justify the means, in any given context.
    4. Finally, there is no fame/infamy in this game (*sadface*) and no real reactions accordingly (other than temporary justice system). There will be no implication other than the one you provide yourself.

Your only potential conflict I could see would be FG as Vamp or WW. I believe in those scenarios, the RP'er would create a story line of a true and faithful servant that was spared so long as certain restrictions were adhered to. Plus, I've never know a guild to turn down chances for power.

Play it situationally. As with in life, there are very few cut and dry scenarios. There are numerous 'grey areas' and you can have your character responds accordingly, using all the skills at its disposal, from any and all guild lines.

EDIT: There are also no real guild ranks, as in the standalones, so there is nothing to lose, and it's impossible to get kicked.
    Edited by Merlin13KAGL on October 17, 2017 11:40AM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Ceridwynne
    Ceridwynne
    ✭✭✭
    My templar main who I consider "good" will eventually do TG and DB. But...... in my headcanon she will be experiencing them in Cadwell's silver (TG) and gold (DB). So she will get to see how the other side lives but it won't happen in her actual timeline so her choices don't matter.
    Edited by Ceridwynne on October 18, 2017 3:46PM
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...in my head it feels wrong to have a Mage who joins the dark brotherhood...or a Dragonknight that joins the mages guild.
    What, you think there are no murdering mages? Not every assassin comes with poisoned daggers, you know... some use spellcraft and summoned terrors to fulfill their dark contracts...

And have you ever gotten your face melted off in cyrodil by a DK firemage? Once upon a time, they ruled the PvP, though happily nerfs happened since then... ;)

The point is, all classes use magic, even when they are done as pure stamina characters, and thus are right at home in the mages guild (though it is a bit vexing when a stamina character gets the "archmage" title, that one should not be given out this easily, but... eh...), and all characters fight, even when many may use more magic then brawn, so the fighters guild is also not implausible a stop for them.
    So at the expense of missing out on some perks I've decided to do things how I feel they should be done. My mage ofcourse is honorable mage who is searching for books to progress her mages guild story...
    That of course is quite a different matter! If a character is -honorable- they have to business with filthy thieves or dastardly murderers! One of the reasons half my characters will never join those... organizations... cadwells or otherwise.

(And I really, really wish they would have made those DLCs with two storyline options - one to join the criminals, one to experience the same plot from the "other side", joining the iron wheel or the order of the hour, fighting corruption and overzealousness in their ranks while uncovering the plot of the "merchant prince" or the dark secret of the Primate... and doing something about them!)
    and my Nightblade (which I just made.) He's going to be a Thief and join the thieves guild and eventually the dark brotherhood. I'm just curious though since my NB is level 3 how many levels I would get from completing both quild quest lines? or should I wait till level 50 to do them?
    Personally I would wait until after the mainstory completes and you hit 50. heck, maybe even until after you get to 160 CP if you aren't there already. Mostly because the sets you can find in those regions are some you may want to take a closer look at for endgame gearup... (especially baharas curse can be quite nifty!)
    Also, the general toughness level of some opponents in those DLCs is a tad above the main game, so its advisable to have some experience, gear and CP under your belt when doing those. But not exactly neccessary if you have the skills. AND advanced Legerdemain skills will certainly help a good deal as well... and all that generally comes with loads of playing.
    But while -helpful- it isn't exactly -required-, so... play as you like it! :)
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    I've done both quest-lines, and I recommend doing Thieve's Guild first, so it's good that's what you were planning anyway. The reason is 1) Thieve's Guild is a little easier, and, more importantly, 2) Thieve's Guild gives you some passive skills that reduce your bounty if you get caught stealing/killing, and has a great skill called Clemency that gives you a once-a-day "get out of jail free" card ... that is, once a day you can escape from a guard if he catches you stealing/killing. (By "escape" I mean he'll decide to let you off the hook, and he'll just walk away the first time he catches you.)

You don't have to wait until level 50 to do either quest-line, though.

DB also has some passive skills that reduce a bounty for killing, but trust me, you really want to get Clemency first before you start the DB stuff.

But it's worth doing the first quest in dark brotherhood. The one shot from stealth of the blade of woe is just too usefull.
  • SunnyBunny
    SunnyBunny
    ✭✭✭
    [/quote]

Why can't our characters join the Iron Wheel or the Order of the Hour? It would have been easy to keep the story the same, but simply show different sides to the tale that result in essentially the same events.[/quote]

WOW this is actually a really cool idea to be honest. I think it would be amazing to be able to do that.
    Lone Wolf Help ~ Royal Bank of Tamriel ~ Black Market Wares

I Know I'm Lost

*Ernestina - Imperial Temp
    *Ennus - Bosmer Sorc
    *Greavy - Orc DK
    *Somniate - Ra Gada NB
    *Cilano - Imperial DK
    *Ba'Raka - Khajiit Warden
    *Bird In Hand - Argonian Templar
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because there's no point in creating a story for each character that ends up making them all the same anyway. My Imperial Templar is a holy paladin type who doesn't do the Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood while my Dark Elf Nightblade is an assassin type who thrives in those areas. I could make a story up as to why the Templar falls foul of the law or why my assassin shirks unnecessary violence and theft, but then they'd both be the same which rather defeats the purpose!