Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

new to the game

rarfo22b14_ESO
rarfo22b14_ESO
Soul Shriven
whats the best way to level a Templar i cant decide on what weapons i should use, but i know im going healing when i hit max level.
can anyone help me please
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the game! I’ll try to offer some general tips to get you started regarding your primary question. If you have any questions, FYI in these forums if you use @username in a post it will flag that person to come back and see your response...so if you have any questions on my post, respond with @davey1107 in your response and I’ll get a flag.

Okay, so the first thing is to make sure you’ve chosen an appropriate race. You want to be a healer in the long term, so you want to focus on a magic build. The different races have powerful passive abilities that incline them to a role. Good magic races are Altmer, Breton, Argonian our Dark Elf. If you’ve chosen a stamina race - Khajiit, redguard, orc, Wood elf, then these races wouldn’t make a great healer...they’re inclined to be stamina Templars. Now is a good time to make sure you’ve matched race and your long term goal correctly...it’s a pain and/or expensive down the road after putting tons of work into a toon.

Once you’ve rolled the toon you want to level, I’ll offer some general leveling tips and what you’ll want to focus on with your magic Templar soon-to-be healer.

- spend skill points freely. There are so many skill points in the game now that you don’t need to ration them. Feel free to unlock and play with any ability, and spend on any passive that sounds helpful. You will not wreck the character or paint yourself in the corner. Unlike when the game was released, you instantly get access to most of the map...so if you ever run short of skill points, there are a bazillion sky shards in reach.

- level your class lines. The first three skills in your menu are your class skills (Aedric spear, dawns wrath and restoring light for Templars). During your adventures you will unlock a majority of these abilities and spend in most every passive. These lines level by having an ability from the line on your active bar while earning xp. So if you kill a monster with an aedric skill ability slotted. The line gets a little xp. If you have two slotted, the line gets twice as much. Tip: during non-vet leveling, ALWAY slot one skill from each class line so they keep working up, even if it means slotting an ability that isn’t your first choice.

- in the weapon lines, magic Templars should level destruction staff, and restoration staff for sure. There are also some instance where they can use 1h and shield, so you could level this if you like. Like class skills, weapons level by earning xp with an ability slotted. It MUST be an ability from that weapon line...just carrying a weapon type doesn’t level the line.

- in armor, you’re going to want to level both light and heavy. Oftentimes players like to throw on a piece or two of heavy for more protection, so it’s good to level this as well. Do this by just wearing those armor types. While you work to vet, try to wear 5-6 light and 1-2 heavy.

- work your Legerdemain to 16. This allows you to reduce your sneak cost...helpful later on, especially in pvp. The reason I mention it now is that it can be a slow grind. Every once in a while go to Daggerfall City, jump on the two ships and load up with crap from containers...then fence it all. Just do this once or twice a week and legerdemain will get up there...this isn’t a high priority.

- level mages guild. This levels by picking up these blue lore books lying around, which are organized into collections. Learn this system and work on this every once in a while. As a healing Templar you might decide to work up to mage guild 10, which is a LOT of book hunting.

- Don’t stress about leveling this stuff quickly, and remember that once you ge to vet there’s an XP CATCHUP MECHANISM. I put this in caps because sometimes new players get stressed about leveling specific lines or abilities that they grind and grind one specific thing. Don’t spend endless hours doing this unless you know it’s necessary. When your character gets to vet (level 50), you’ll get a daily dose of super-charged xp called “enlightenment.” You don’t need to understand how that works now, just be aware that as a vet you get as much enlightenment xp in a week that you do during the eeeeeeeeeentire journey to level 50. So if you have skill lines or abilities that fall behind, when you get to vet it’s pretty easy to catch them all up.

So, that’s a brief overview. It’s a lot...but don’t stress. Like I said, you can’t “mess up” a character, and you don’t need to rush. During your first 20 or so levels, focus on how your bar works, how abilities function and what sort of damage they do. How does gear affect both how protected you are, and how much damage you do? How does wearing a set compare to not, and what is a gear set?

Then just get out, explore and kill things. Lol.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You want an magic build obviously, that is an destruction staff, put an healing staff on other bar.
    Best tips is to get into an friendly guild and get some leveling gear this helps you a lot.

One tips for leveling the restoration staff is to switch to it then you deliver quests, you level skills then you get xp, this is typical then killing stuff or hand in quests and you will not do much killing on the restoration staff normally even if you can use skills like the sweep on it.
    You also want to level up you healing as for heal you need group content as in random normal dungeons and you should have an battery of skills for that.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Need a magicka build for a healer, for sure, as others have said. I suggest putting all attribute points into magicka, and using a destruction staff on the front bar, and a restoration staff on the 2nd bar once you unlock the 2nd bar at level 15 (I think it's 15). Destruction staffs do more damage than resto staffs, but don't heal.
    I wouldn't put any attribute points into health, because the damage you do will be scaled off of your maximum magicka.
    The best magicka races are High Elf, Dark Elf and Breton, although Argonians can make good healers because they have a passive skill that lets them do more healing.

Edited by SydneyGrey on October 16, 2017 5:21AM
  • rarfo22b14_ESO
    rarfo22b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    thank you the help
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eventually, you may find yourself at a level for content where you want some skills that you need to go into PVP for. Those skills for healers are Purge and Warhorn. Note that this is eventually - you don't need Warhorn until you start looking towards Trials healing and its a nice boost but not necessary in Vet dungeons.

When/if you get to that point, start here with Joy_Division's excellent guide for PVP: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/360956/joy-s-advice-for-midyear-mayhem-event/p1 This is absolutely the best introduction to PVP that I have ever read and explains pretty much anything you need to know to get your feet wet in PVP long enough to get Warhorn.

If you do want to PVP, its hard to go wrong with a healer. Find some impenetrable trait gear, slot healing springs and mutagen and find a large group to follow around.