Maintenance for the week of June 17:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)

Graphics for Horse mounts

Eirianbryn30
Eirianbryn30
✭✭
I'm disappointed in the way the mounts have changed. I have the white maned horse, who actually looks like a horse, and stands like a horse. The piebald and ghost horse...ugh...their legs are crooked. If they were real horses they'd be lame. Can we submit a suggestion to get this fixed?
Edited by Eirianbryn30 on October 14, 2017 4:18PM
  • Livvy
    Livvy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think all of the regular horse models look too muscular, bulky, and unattractive.

I really wish they looked more like real horses and were more graceful.
    ->--Willow--<-
    Options
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    What @Livvy thinks they look like
    maxresdefault.jpg

What they actually look like
    War-horse-horses-charging-into-battle.jpg

What @Livvy wants them to look like
    Paint.jpg
    Gan Xing - Crafting Nightblade
    Elrana Tinuviel - Hybrid Dragonknight
    Elentári Peregrine - Sorcerer "bank"
    Rán Xīng - Hybrid Templar
    Laurïsil Imlachwen - Stamina Templar
    Helotë Tinuviel - Hybrid/Magicka Warden
    Odin banker - obv banker
    Yan of the Red Mountain - lvl 3 DK - not sure when I will work on em

Seeks the unusual and unique playstyles...
    Options
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gan Xing wrote: »
    What @Livvy thinks they look like
    maxresdefault.jpg

What they actually look like
    War-horse-horses-charging-into-battle.jpg

What @Livvy wants them to look like
    Paint.jpg

Yeah. that one gets an awesome....
    Options
  • Livvy
    Livvy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol, the last two pictures look almost exactly the same as far as horse models go.

The horses in game look far worse than the one in that middle picture IMO. :) I'd be happy if they actually did look like that.

This is closer to what they look like in game, but less real.

c31b2f0226c2b3505ac2327a2d3cd344.jpg
    Edited by Livvy on October 14, 2017 4:57PM
    ->--Willow--<-
    Options
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    Based on what I've seen of the horses in game, they have some poor conformation going on. Too stocky, ill-proportioned, cow-hocked... it's like they used HYPP affected Quarter horses for the model :(
    "Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." -Thranduil
    Options
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    Livvy wrote: »
    lol, the last two pictures look almost exactly the same as far as horse models go.

The horses in game look far worse than the one in that middle picture IMO. :) I'd be happy if they actually did look like that.

This is closer to what they look like in game, but less real.

c31b2f0226c2b3505ac2327a2d3cd344.jpg

That is a draft horse, and even they come in different shapes and sizes: draft_horse_breeds.jpg
    Odin banker - obv banker

Options
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    And for anyone who is looking at this thread and can't quite recall what the horses in ESO look like:
    maxresdefault.jpg
    Palomino-Horse-Carry.jpg
    Odin banker - obv banker

Options
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    And for those curious...

HorseAnatomyMuscles2012.jpg

and here someone created a "realistic 3D horse" model
    https://3docean.net/item/realistic-muscular-horse/7701407
    Realistic%20Muscular%20Horse_05.jpg
    Odin banker - obv banker

Options
  • Livvy
    Livvy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I realize that. :)

I don't want all of my horses to look like draft horses. And sloppily done draft horses at that.

They look cartoony to me.

LOTRO did a much better job with their horse models, and those graphics are 10 years old and nothing compared to how pretty ESO graphics are. I just think they could have done a lot better.
    Edited by Livvy on October 14, 2017 6:47PM
    ->--Willow--<-
    Options
  • inthecoconut
    inthecoconut
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sy7Z9AG.gif
    Options
  • Livvy
    Livvy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sy7Z9AG.gif

Exactly this! It makes the biggest difference.
    ->--Willow--<-
    Options
  • inthecoconut
    inthecoconut
    ✭✭✭✭
    Livvy wrote: »

Exactly this! It makes the biggest difference.

Here is the horse from Skyrim which has a similar stockiness to it, but with less exaggeration:
    339-1-1321463057.jpg

Options
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    And its knees are in the right place.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
    Options
  • Osteos
    Osteos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its the shape of the hind legs that are the problem. The skyrim one looks much better.
    DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    NA PC
    Former Vehemence Member
    Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault
    Options
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    their eyes need a rework, they are too big in my opinion
    PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
    Options
  • ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lmfao why do all the normal horses constantly smile like they’re cheesing for a photo?
    Options
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    On the other hand, we can discuss the likely evolutionary differences between the horses in game (create some BS lore) and horses irl.

Lets start off with irl and the phenology of the horse. Evolutionarily (<- not a word, but just roll with it) speaking, the horse is generally found on grasslands and open areas with minimal tree cover. They can survive in most latitudes (I know this b/c I've seen a horse that has lived at 10,000 feet elevation for years (might still be alive). They generally feed on grasses and low lying shrubs, and are adapted to be able to run fast to get away from predators (such as large cats and wolves).

At some point in the past 3000+ years, humans started to domesticate them (with food), and breed them for specific purposes: typically to increase ability to carry weight -> draft horses, run faster, or run longer -> race horses (most notably the Arabian horse).

In ESO, we can probably assume at least 2 things: the planet itself is of a different size than Earth (this plays a significant role in the size of animals and their ability to move around), and that Tamriel had a slightly different evolutionary history to Earth (one which magicka played a role).

Ignoring the question of where Magicka comes from (which I would really like to know the lore of) and how it affects phenolgy, lets infer that Tamriel is smaller than Earth by about 10 thousand kilometers in diameter (making it about 30 thousand kilometers). and has a mass proportional to Earth... well uh..... s*** this causes the gravitational pull of the planet to be stronger. In otherwords, here on Earth, we experience a pull of 9.8 m/s^2. On this imaginary planet, the pull is 14.02. This would force creatures to be smaller than here on earth... unless there was more oxygen in the environment... It would also cause the average person to be stronger, and maybe a bit shorter.

gah..... too many factors to consider.....

TL;DR I'm certain that since the "planet" that Tamriel is on is smaller than Earth, as well as had a different evolutionary history when it comes to the creatures on it, that would affect how our horses look in game.... This way you can play without continuing to wonder why the horses look different in game than irl
    Odin banker - obv banker

Options
  • Livvy
    Livvy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    their eyes need a rework, they are too big in my opinion

I agree...they look taxidermied lol.
    ->--Willow--<-
    Options
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They just really are a train wreck and it doesn't look good. Honestly, I came to ESO from LOTRO, and I was so blown away by the scenery, by the toons, by the shaders, by the plants, by buildings...and then I saw the horses and I said, "You have got to be kidding me." A friend had even sent me a screenshot of a non-horse mount before I bought the game and I was really excited. If I had seen the horse first, I might have reconsidered. It just looks so amateurish compared to the rest of the game. C'mon, ZOS. You can do better.
    Options
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    They just really are a train wreck and it doesn't look good. Honestly, I came to ESO from LOTRO, and I was so blown away by the scenery, by the toons, by the shaders, by the plants, by buildings...and then I saw the horses and I said, "You have got to be kidding me." A friend had even sent me a screenshot of a non-horse mount before I bought the game and I was really excited. If I had seen the horse first, I might have reconsidered. It just looks so amateurish compared to the rest of the game. C'mon, ZOS. You can do better.
    I know, right? When you compare the horses to the senches and wolves, the horses look very cartoonish.
    Options
  • StrawberryKitsune
    StrawberryKitsune
    ✭✭✭
    The horses from Red Dead Redemption blew me away at how much they looked like real horses. I still go back to that game (for several reasons but one really is to d**k around riding my horse across the map) would like to see ZOS rework their horses/add new horses that look similar to those. I don't think the horses in ESO are generally bad per-se just more...dull. There is no variation. It would have been cool for example if they added a mix of the stockier draft-horse like builds that look capable of carrying the weight of a fully armoured warrior and also more slender sleek horse builds that would suit couriers, rougues, assassins ect. Variety is the spice of life.
    Options
  • theroyalestpythonnub18_ESO
    Oh no those hind legs are.... really not good. Unfortunately if they change the base model they'd probably have to redo a lot of textures which makes me think they likely won't consider it.
    Options
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh no those hind legs are.... really not good. Unfortunately if they change the base model they'd probably have to redo a lot of textures which makes me think they likely won't consider it.

I don't think they'd need to actually rework the mesh to change the shapes. You can drag meshes around and sculpt them as-is, and you don't have to change the texture maps. If I could rip the meshes out of this game I could import them into a modeling program and reshape them myself. So they really don't have much of an excuse aside from "we don't wanna" or "we're working on more stuff to make people gamble on out of crown crates". ;)
    Options
  • Irfind
    Irfind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sy7Z9AG.gif

On top of that the horses in eso running with the backhand like cows ... :s
    PC EU no CP PVP
    EP Irfind - Stam NB Dunmer
    EP Iswind - Mag Warden Dunmer
    EP Ko'runa Silberklaue - Mag Temp Khajiit
    EP Eldrid Hagal - Mag DK Dunmer
    EP Feyne R'is - Stam Sorc Dunmer ...with Bow
    EP Wynn Loraethaine - Mag NB Dunmer
    AD Runare Loraethaine - Stam Sorc Altmer
    AD Skadi Hagal - Stam DK Khajiit
    Options
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% agree.
    Default horse model really needs a rework.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
    Options
  • bottleofsyrup
    bottleofsyrup
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never realized how bad it was until seeing comparisons in this thread. Would definitely love to see better horse models.
    Options
  • Eirianbryn30
    Eirianbryn30
    ✭✭
    My biggest gripe is the back end. But it's like someone got lazy with the horse mounts front legs as they've added mounts. I really wish they looked more realistic.
    Options
  • RoyalPink06
    RoyalPink06
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The front legs, in particular the lower portion, are also atrocious when in motion. It's not as noticeable when you are running full speed, but try to make the horse walk slowly forward and turn your camera to the side. The movement of the front legs is extremely unnatural.
    NA PS4
    Options
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the Op the horses need some lovin' "eso bling my horse". <3
    Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They aren't going to bother improving existing mounts when they can keep making (or just reskinning) non-horse mounts in the cash shop and gamble boxes. That said, if they'd sell a GOOD horse mount in the cash shop I'd buy the darned thing. I far prefer horses to ANY of the other mounts.
    Edited by MornaBaine on October 15, 2017 2:10PM
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Options