Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

StamSorc Questions

Texecutioner187
Texecutioner187
✭✭✭
Hey all, pretty new to PvP and wanting to get into it with my StamSorc. Currently, she's 2H/Bow in PvE and from the builds I've been looking at online(there aren't many) for PvP, it seems everyone is doing DW or 2H with bow on backbar. I ended up with 2H/Bow with Hundings/Sword Singer 5 pieces and Molag Kena 1 piece. Any feedback on this? Moreso, WILL IT WORK?

Also, I was thinking of doing 2H/DW and not having a bow, but a friend said Poison Injection is pretty important for PvP and that I needed a bow. Anyone have feedback on the weapon setup also?

I know I'm going to die a bunch regardless, just figured I'd go into it all with a little bit of education about my gear and setup. Here is the build I was looking at following(to start off as a newb PvP'er): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXzvKCOhxf8

I welcome any feedback, anyone that can give me some helpful information would be hugely helpful.
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgruberman wrote: »
    Hey all, pretty new to PvP and wanting to get into it with my StamSorc. Currently, she's 2H/Bow in PvE and from the builds I've been looking at online(there aren't many) for PvP

Lord @fengrush is your lord and savior...
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    your gear looks good :)

2H & Bow should work just fine...your friend was correct - snipe and poison injection are fantastic bow abilities...

for 2H I'd recommend being cautious slotting critical charge - it glitches a lot...uppercut (if you can find someine standing in the same spot for more than half a second) and reverse slash are pretty decent...

which mundus are you using?

food/drink?

potions?
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    Mundus I believe would be stam recovery? Food dubious? Potions unknown?

I haven't even used the build yet, I'm a planner so trying to get all my ducks in a row before I go. Suggestions for what you mentioned?

Also, how does the gear look?
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmmmm, I would suggest warrior stone...

if you can weave light attacks and remember to heavy attack once in a while your sustain should be okay...

either dubious or epic food should do the trick...

visit a siege merchant and buy the three type pots (battle, spell, health draught I believe)...

quick slot them...

hundings and sword singer should provide a nice pop...

as a possible alternative - you could slot 5pc marksman on your bow bar (tough to find a marksman bow these days at any guild stores though) and 5pc sword singer on your 2H bar...that would allow you to equip a 2pc monster set...

be aware on your armor pieces which traits you're using - it would be best if you build had at least 1.5k crit resist...

also, try to slot at least 5 pieces medium...
    Edited by geonsocal on October 14, 2017 8:58PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »
    hmmmm, I would suggest warrior stone...

if you can weave light attacks and remember to heavy attack once in a while your sustain should be okay...

either dubious or epic food should do the trick...

visit a siege merchant and buy the three type pots (battle, spell, health draught I believe)...

quick slot them...

hundings and sword singer should provide a nice pop...

as a possible alternative - you could slot 5pc marksman on your bow bar (tough to find a marksman bow these days at any guild stores though) and 5pc sword singer on your 2H bar...that would allow you to equip a 2pc monster set...

be aware on your armor pieces which traits you're using - it would be best if you build had at least 1.5k crit resist...

also, try to slot at least 5 pieces medium...

Yeah as far as armor goes... My plan was:
    PvP StamSorc
    Weapon Hunding 2H sharpened
    Weapon Hunding Bow inf
    Head Hundings M Impen stam
    Chest Hundings H Impen stam
    Shoulder Molag Kena M Div stam
    Legs Hundings M Impen stam
    Hands Hundings M Impen stam
    Waist Impen stam
    Feet Impen stam
    Neck SS Purple weap dmg
    Ring SS Purple weap dmg
    Ring SS Purple weap dmg

Should I do all body medium or use the 5th as a heavy piece?
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm definitely no fengrush, but, you definitely look on the right track...

whether or not to go all 7 medium (assuming you don't have undaunted mettle leveled), or only 5 medium depends on how squishy you're willing to be :)

what were you planning to do for shields and heals?
    Edited by geonsocal on October 14, 2017 11:02PM
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh yeah - almost forgot...there are some important passives within the sorcerer class...

read over the passives closely to see exactly what sorc class abilities you'll need to slot...

I know I have empowered ward on one bar and summon greater atronoch on the other for some reason to do with either extra health or sustain...can't remember at the moment...
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    i'm definitely no fengrush, but, you definitely look on the right track...

whether or not to go all 7 medium (assuming you don't have undaunted mettle leveled), or only 5 medium depends on how squishy you're willing to be :)

what were you planning to do for shields and heals?

I would prefer to not be squishy considering I'm new to this(and PvP has always intimidated me) lol... What is the pros and cons to having 7 medium or the 1 heavy?

Shields and heals... Honestly, I don't know. I was going to use Crit Surge, but doesn't Empowered Ward scale off your magicka?
    Edited by Texecutioner187 on October 14, 2017 11:53PM
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daedric protection is the passive:
    WHEN A DAEDRIC SUMMONING ABILITY IS SLOTTED
    Increases your Health Recovery andStamina Recovery by 20% when a Daedric Summoning ability is slotted.

if you're going to keep the hundings, which is totally fine - best to go with 5 medium/2 heavy...the three first passives from the heavy armor line will help buff your health...plus 2 heavy of either head, chest or legs provides some much needed extra little cushion...

yes, empowered ward does scale of magicka, you can also look at bound armor instead...hurricane is almost prerequisite for stam sorcs :)

as soon as you can start leveling evasion...very useful using that plus another "shield/ward" type ability...

you're heals will be dark exchange and vigor...

get used to popping lots of stam regen pots :)
    Edited by geonsocal on October 15, 2017 1:22AM
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    daedric protection is the passive:
    WHEN A DAEDRIC SUMMONING ABILITY IS SLOTTED
    Increases your Health Recovery andStamina Recovery by 20% when a Daedric Summoning ability is slotted.

if you're going to keep the hundings, which is totally fine - best to go with 5 medium/2 heavy...the three first passives from the heavy armor line will help buff your health...plus 2 heavy of either head, chest or legs provides some much needed extra little cushion...

yes, empowered ward does scale of magicka, you can also look at bound armor instead...hurricane is almost prerequisite for stam sorcs :)

as soon as you can start leveling evasion...very useful using that plus another "shield/ward" type ability...

you're heals will be dark exchange and vigor...

get used to popping lots of stam regen pots :)

Awesome! This all makes sense to me, and I appreciate it greatly! However, one question... What is my shield going to be? If empowered ward scales off magicka and I have stamina... Is using that shield going to be effective at all? Or is it a case of "any shield is better than no shield"?

Side questions:
    1-i heard from somewhere there is an animation cancel combo of two 2h skills that are pretty deadly when chained together... Know what they're talking about?
    2-as a stamsorc, do I have any sort of snare/stun?
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    very good questions :)

ugh, I'm a lazy theorycrafter :/ I'm gonna have to log on to see what my shield is at (i have about 50 pts in stamina, 14 in health), I think my shield is around 4k or so - I'm using tri-stat food though)...i"ll check later...

yeah, 2H combos can definitely suck if you're on the receiving end...

if you can get it to work - the uppercut - reverse slash combo can definitely pack a punch...

crit charge is an absolute blast to use in pvp - unfortunately it's also super glitchy and can get you disconnected from the server really easy - it's also a pretty useless pve skill...

encase is your snare/root (I always forget their exact definitions)...and is also useful in holding people for your 2H combo...

uppercut is a stun itself - but, it can almost be as challenging to land ay times as hitting someone with the selene proc...

for some reason most enemy players won't just oblige and stay still for very long...

rune prison is your stun...

I think there is a stun in the bow skill line, but, by and large snipe, poison arrow and endless hail seem to be the meat and potatoes of the bow...

not to say the other abilities have no use, they just take a bit more finesse...
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This saddens me deeply... advising a new PvP'er to slot a magickal ward on a stam sorc. Suggesting dark deal as main heal. Being cautious about slotting a gap closer and dizzying swing. :(

You are long enough on these forums to know that these are dubious advices at best, why are you doing this?

Not going through all of this, just putting some other PoV here.

If you run 2h, you will definitely want a gap closer. If you choose Stampede, you will snare your opponent by 60%. No reason to not slot it. Gap Closing into a loading screen is a bug, just like riding on your horse into one. So being cautious about riding as well? If you mean that your char will sometimes not execute the motion, you can simply cut if off via block.

Dizzying Swing can be your main CC, spam and burst. Sure, it's hard to land but you will get used to it. Or, if you really don't like how it feels, you can also run a DW & X build. But then you have to work around all the utility 2h gives you (gap closer, snare, burst, cc, execute, HoT and snare removal or burst heal). I will adress this later on.
    When running dizzy you don't need rune cage, since it breaks on direct dmg anyway and you already have a stun.

Geon was right about Hurricane, it's your must have. Streak/BoL is good as well, I wouldn't miss it.

As for heals, you can slot Vigor (HoT) and either Rally as another HoT + burst heal or Forward Momentum. OP said he don't want to be squishy. Until next patch there is no reason not to run 5h/2m. You can yet slot Shuffle for snare removal and major evasion, have all HA passives (including higher resistance, more health and bigger heals) and still run Rally and Vigor.
    Coming with the next patch things will be a bit different. You can't use shuffle (snare removal) on 5 heavy, so either going 5 medium and being squishy, or staying having and deal with snares or loose a burst heal.
    Dark Deal is nice but you can't use it as lifesaver heal bc of it's long, interruptable cast time. It's mainly used for the stam return. You could use surge on top of vigor and rally if you can afford the bar space.

Do yourself a favour and don't slot a ward on your stam toon. If you feel like needing daedric protection passive, you can always double bar Bound Armaments for it's own buffs. Which are great but you loose out on 2 bar spaces. Your choice. Otherwise, you could slot Atronach Ulti on your main bar but then you can't have dawnbreaker on it, which is just too good to not use.

As for back bar you can really slot what fits you best. Bow has a great pre-applied execute dot in poison injections, grants you ranged dmg and major expedition on dodge rolling. If you like mobility, you will probably prefer this. If you are more into being tanky, use 1h and shield. It goes very well with Rally from 2h.

If you want something outside of 2h you could, like mentioned above, slot DW. But you have to compensate a lot.
    Snares from Rending Slashes
    Hard CC from Rune Cage (doesn't break on flurry), streak or Invig Drain. Or from offhand (reverb bash, etc.)
    Gap Closer via offhand skills (invasion), which would being really tedious to bar swap when you have to stay on a fleeing target. You could use streak for 1-2 times, but it's not as spammable and target locked as a real GC. Or you make up with major expedition from bow passives or Quick Cloak (which also grants good dmg and AoE defense).
    Execute could come from Steel Tornado or offhand weapons. Otherwise just pressure them and finish off with Dawnbreaker.
    Heals become a bit of a problem. Vigor + Crit Surge are good but you lack a burst heal. Or you use the resto ultimate.
    Edited by Chilly-McFreeze on October 15, 2017 8:41AM
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    @Chilly-McFreeze, so the whole slotting a Daedric ability for the passive isn't something I'm going to want to do?

Also, is there such a shield for a stamsorc, or not really?
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Chilly-McFreeze, so the whole slotting a Daedric ability for the passive isn't something I'm going to want to do?

No stamina based shields. Slotting a mag shield on a stam toon would not only waste a slot but be incredibly weak.
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »

No stamina based shields. Slotting a mag shield on a stam toon would not only waste a slot but be incredibly weak.

I thought so since the shield scaled off magicka, so I'm glad to hear that confirmed from someone else.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This saddens me deeply...

too funny - i thought I was overly dramatic :)

hmmmm, truth is - at times i am...i'm also susceptable to a bit of hyberbole - i can't seem to help it though, i'm from new york...

oh well, we all have our little idiosyncrasies...

truth is @jgruberman , if you ask 10 different folks how they gear and play their character - you're gonna get a few different answers...

as long as you stay away from trying to go all hybrid with your character - you should be okay...

plus, most likely - how you initially build and play your character will change over time...

to the point of daedric protection - plus 20% stam/health regen is most definitely useful...summon atronoch (one of my favorite all time ults) and conjured ward (hardened ward is the "preferred" morph - I just like the extra 4 seconds from empowered, my ward though is only for 3.7k) will accomplish that...

bound armor is definitely another option - however I think it may duplicate some of the features (as far as resistance buffs) of hurricane...

yes, vigor is your primary heal - however, when you set up your bar - be conscious not to completely depend on one resource for everything - so dark deal gives you the chance (as well as surge and conjured ward) to put your magicka pool to good use...

when you build any character - you'll need to evaluate how you like to play, and, read through all your ability options...

personally - for my stam sorc, I try to keep him at distance, using my bow, because he's wearing 7 medium (and, I really like using a bow :p)...

my 2H is mostly for when keeping distance isn't an option and it's time for a little hack and slash (or pve)...
    Edited by geonsocal on October 15, 2017 5:16PM
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chilly makes a good point regarding momentum - for most folks using 2H, rally is an integral part of their rotation for the weapon damage buff and healing...

I'm not sure if power surge buffs either conjured ward or dark deal...

in your case, because you've played the character already in pve, you should have some of these skill lines leveled up - so, once you jump in to pvp (battlegrounds or cyyrodiil) you'll have a much better idea of how to adjust your build in order to survive, sustain and beat your fellow pvp buddies down :)

most important point, have fun...you're gonna die, but, hopefully each death will help you in adjusting your build and getting a little better - at beating your fellow pvp buddies down :o
    Edited by geonsocal on October 15, 2017 6:11PM
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm definitely not a stam sorc expert anymore - been a while since I really played him. But I can clarify a few points.
    Surge doesn't impact either dark deal (which I think is fixed based on level only) or cunjured ward (it scales from mag only, not spell power, and as a stam sorc, you'd take the morph that heals for more rather than the on that gives major sorcery.

Bound Armaments and hurricane do not overlap. Hurricane gives the major version if the resist buffs, armaments gives the minor.

IMHO, the only way to benefit from the 20% sustain passive is with bound armaments. But the sacrifice in slots is hard.

Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    What are the differences going to be whether I go 7 medium, or as someone mentioned, 5 medium, 2 heavy? Just going to be getting more health in sacrifice for stam regen?
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Difference will be that you have access to undaunted mettle passive (increase of all resources) and heavy armor passives (health, health regen and especially constitution) + bigger resistance.

However, you mentioned stam regen in specific, you would need very high base (!) stam regen to surpass constitution (in 5 heavy) with wind walker.
    If I remember this, I will search for the post with the math behind this when I am back home.

• Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    Difference will be that you have access to undaunted mettle passive (increase of all resources) and heavy armor passives (health, health regen and especially constitution) + bigger resistance.

However, you mentioned stam regen in specific, you would need very high base (!) stam regen to surpass constitution (in 5 heavy) with wind walker.
    If I remember this, I will search for the post with the math behind this when I am back home.

Got it...and what would the contrast to that be? What benefit do I get with the 7 medium pieces that I don't get with 5 medium, 2 heavy?
  • Hatoreehanzo
    Hatoreehanzo
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of 5/1/1

5 Seventh's Legion (Heavy) Impen
    3 Agility (Robust) All Weapon Damage
    2 Troll King or BloodSpawn (1 Light/ 1 Medium) Well Fitted
    2H Maelstrom (Sharpened)
    Random Bow (Powered)

2H Bar
    Rally
    Stampede
    Dizzying Swing
    Executioner
    Bound Armaments
    Dawnbreaker of Smiting

Bow Bar
    Dark Deal
    Bound Armaments
    Hurricane
    Vigor
    Shuffle
    Overload

Overload Bar
    Dark Deal
    Bound Armaments
    Rapids
    Caltrops
    Rearming Trap

Redguard/Warrior Mundus/Max Health&Stam Food

In CP I stack a hefty amount into Tenacity and Heavy/Light attack trees. There isn't much stam sustain, but that's not a problem with Dark Deal and you hit like a truck.

PS4 NA
    PSN: hatoreehanzo
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/hatoreehanzo
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Got it...and what would the contrast to that be? What benefit do I get with the 7 medium pieces that I don't get with 5 medium, 2 heavy?

Like 3% more crit chance, a Bit regen and cost reduction, but having smaller resource pools and being more squishy.

Personally, I see no reason to not run at least 1 piece in another weight. Preferably chest in heavy for biggest resistance gain.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of 5/1/1

2H Maelstrom (Sharpened)
    Random Bow (Powered)

2H Bar
    Rally
    Stampede
    Dizzying Swing
    Executioner
    Bound Armaments
    Dawnbreaker of Smiting

Bow Bar
    Dark Deal
    Bound Armaments
    Hurricane
    Vigor
    Shuffle
    Overload

Overload Bar
    Dark Deal
    Bound Armaments
    Rapids
    Caltrops
    Rearming Trap

In CP I stack a hefty amount into Tenacity and Heavy/Light attack trees. There isn't much stam sustain, but that's not a problem with Dark Deal and you hit like a truck.

Enjoy it while you can, next patch will hurt this build a bit, sadly.
  • Hatoreehanzo
    Hatoreehanzo
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of 5/1/1

2H Maelstrom (Sharpened)
    Random Bow (Powered)

2H Bar
    Rally
    Stampede
    Dizzying Swing
    Executioner
    Bound Armaments
    Dawnbreaker of Smiting

Bow Bar
    Dark Deal
    Bound Armaments
    Hurricane
    Vigor
    Shuffle
    Overload

Overload Bar
    Dark Deal
    Bound Armaments
    Rapids
    Caltrops
    Rearming Trap

Enjoy it while you can, next patch will hurt this build a bit, sadly.

What's affecting it? I'm behind on the who, what and whens.

PS4 NA
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    a stam sorc slotting overload - you're a mad man @Hatoreehanzo :)

remember creating my bosmer stam sorc (character number 8) about eight months ago...

like OP did a bunch of research on different stam sorc threads...

the overwhelming impression I had - what in the world did any of those builds have to do with sorcery...

I know there's not much room for role playing in pvp (I remember when I first started playing "naked" fighting was a big thing :p) - but, rngeezus - you're a sorcerer...

for the most part - none of my mag characters utilize anything stamina...seems though like I can incoprate some magicka elements in my stam characters and be successful...

so, I try really hard to make it work...

@jgruberman ...reading over your initial post again - it sort of seems like you would prefer to use your 2H as your primary weapon and stay in melee range during combat...

not sure where you're at with your undaunted skill line but, you may need to experiment (dueling/battlegrounds/cyrodiil) with different weight armors...

some of the answers are going to be tied to how you play...

you may be able to wear 5 pc medium, use shuffle and hurricane (blocking and roll dodging like a maniac) and fight just fine...you may end up in 5 pc heavy using immoveable just to survive...
    Edited by geonsocal on October 16, 2017 5:00PM
  • Hatoreehanzo
    Hatoreehanzo
    ✭✭✭
    a stam sorc slotting overload - you're a mad man @Hatoreehanzo :)

More bars = More fun ;)

Stamplars with BoL are the real MVPs though.

PS4 NA
  • br0steen
    br0steen
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keep it simple. Spriggans or hulking body, agility jewlery. If you use engine guardian you can sustain with dark deal and spell symmetry. No need to put anything into recovery.
  • br0steen
    br0steen
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also overload on the backpart is the only way to go, that third bar is way too useful. I also like to overload sorcs who are using overload because I think it's hilarious.
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    br0steen wrote: »
    Also overload on the backpart is the only way to go, that third bar is way too useful. I also like to overload sorcs who are using overload because I think it's hilarious.

So you don't actually USE the overload skill, you just use it so you can get the third bar?