The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What sized pvp groups do you participate/ enjoy playing in?

• IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hmm... shouldn't there be 4 times more votes for the 20-24 category than the 2-6 category? I don't think people who play in 20-24 read the forums. :P

pretty useless poll but interesting nonetheless
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmmmm, no solo option...

an army of one :)
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Vilestride
    Vilestride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm... shouldn't there be 4 times more votes for the 20-24 category than the 2-6 category? I don't think people who play in 20-24 read the forums. :P

pretty useless poll but interesting nonetheless

Yeah honestly this has become very apparent. I mean it's clear there are plenty of players out there who play in large groups. I'm not talking about just being around many other people I mean actually Grouped. Pick up groups fill out regularly and there are definitely raids who run numbers 10 and up regularly. I know I'm in one of them. And yet comparitive to the numbers clearly out there on the feild, the majority of the forum presence seems to be smaller scale players.

Clearly the only scientific conclusion is that zerglings have more of a life than everyone else..... I mean... Science.
    Edited by Vilestride on October 13, 2017 5:23AM
  • Autumnhart
    Autumnhart
    ✭✭✭✭
    Prefer duo and no more than four for speed and flexibility, but you can find me now and then in a large group. Whatever is effective and not boring.
    Shadow hide you.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Irylia wrote: »
    I can tell you right now, the majority of people saying they run 2-6 people, aren't actually pvp'ing in that fashion.

Your group might be only 4 people but that doesn't change the fact that you are surrounded by your faction.
    If there truly was 1/3 of the population (any console/server) playing that size of a group we would see much more small scale fights and the pvp wouldn't be as congested.

I would ask you all to really consider what size of a group you play with and if it is anything less than 10, push out past the norm. Go across the map and farm a resource, take a keep with just your group, fight in less populated areas and encourage others to do the same.

Many of you are not solo players, 2-6 or even 6-12. Stop acting like you are.
    Get out there and do something about it and stop adding to the ball zerg.

What? The question is 'what sized GROUP do you run in'. Its a simple question with a simple answer. If someone always runs in a duo but usually with the zerg, then their group size is 2. Saying they are not is just some weird elitist BS... 'your not good enough to call yourself a duo' ffs, get off your high-horse.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I really prefer to solo if I can. I feel less pressure when I stay alone.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No multiple choice option :/ I play and enjoy all types 1-16+
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • Vilestride
    Vilestride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No multiple choice option :/ I play and enjoy all types 1-16+

Sounds like a zergling attitude.
  • Rainraven
    Rainraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone, I've noticed some guilds no longer active in Cyrodiil and some guilds downsizing, I'm genuinely curious as to what group sizes people currently play in.

This poll is anonymous, so you can be honest and not worry about your ego.

The reason I'm making this poll is I'm curious if lowering maximum group size from 24 would be a viable way to improve pvp in cyrodiil (when combined with other changes to help make the game less zergy like less healing outside of group etc). This poll is strictly for grouping, so if you zerg surf solo then vote 'I don't group with anyone' even though you're technically inside a zerg.

I don't mind the big groups* but usually run in 6 - 10, and even that is pushing it for performance at this point. The more people I'm grouped with the more often I get loading screens and the longer they are.

* I also don't care if you call me a zergling. Knock yourself out.
  • GrigorijMalahevich
    GrigorijMalahevich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    groups are for people that like to blame others, I play solo and blame the game!
    PC/EU 800 CP.
    PvP MagSorc.
    Pedro Gonzales - Mag Sorc EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/CB6j6
    Valera Progib - Stam Sorc DC vMA Flawless Conqueror clear https://i.imgur.com/eYgpXG2.png
    Valera Pozhar - Mag DK EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/jrsuK
    Valera Podlechi - Mag Templar AD vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/N0BYq
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    groups are for people that like to blame others, I play solo and blame the game!

+1

I've even stopped with the pets now cos even they kept blaming me,
    Edited by Biro123 on October 13, 2017 12:29PM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • Irylia
    Irylia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    I can tell you right now, the majority of people saying they run 2-6 people, aren't actually pvp'ing in that fashion.

Your group might be only 4 people but that doesn't change the fact that you are surrounded by your faction.
    If there truly was 1/3 of the population (any console/server) playing that size of a group we would see much more small scale fights and the pvp wouldn't be as congested.

I would ask you all to really consider what size of a group you play with and if it is anything less than 10, push out past the norm. Go across the map and farm a resource, take a keep with just your group, fight in less populated areas and encourage others to do the same.

What? The question is 'what sized GROUP do you run in'. Its a simple question with a simple answer. If someone always runs in a duo but usually with the zerg, then their group size is 2. Saying they are not is just some weird elitist BS... 'your not good enough to call yourself a duo' ffs, get off your high-horse.

If you are grouped with 2 and you run in a zerg you are not playing as a 2 person group you are zerging. You may as well be in that 24 man. If you are really grouped with anything less than a raid go bring it elsewhere and then yes you are actually playing with only whoever is in your group. 6, 8,12, 16.

That’s also what dracs podcast was all about. Encouraging players in groups to push out past the Zerg ball.

Come at me
  • Eirella
    Eirella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solo/zerg surf/whatever
    (PC/NA) - | @Eirella - formerly @jinxgames | CP 1000+ | Mainly PvPer (EP) | Haxus
    /uninstalled
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If you are grouped with 2 and you run in a zerg you are not playing as a 2 person group you are zerging. You may as well be in that 24 man. If you are really grouped with anything less than a raid go bring it elsewhere and then yes you are actually playing with only whoever is in your group. 6, 8,12, 16.

That’s also what dracs podcast was all about. Encouraging players in groups to push out past the Zerg ball.

Come at me

Yep you're right that a group of 2 players stacked with another group of players is no longer just 2 players but that wasn't really the purpose of the thread. With this poll I was more interested in what these large fights in cyrodiil consist of (Are they 24 all in 1 group or 4 groups of 6 etc.) and what kind of mechanics / changes can be made to make the game less zergy / laggy.

Players starting their own fights rather than adding to one that is already happening is definitely needed. I think for most average players it can be difficult going off and starting a fight somewhere on the map with less than 12 people which actually could be what the problem is. If this poll is anything to go by, there are a lot of players who are either ungrouped or playing in a group less than 12. These players don't feel like they have the capacity to create their own fight so instead they go to a pre-existing fight. This then creates really large fights & Lag instead of people spreading out at different objectives.
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No option for all the above?

I’ll group with guild, pug, pug surf, or roam around on my own. Pretty casual about it; but if I want to PVP; I’ll go where I can find it
  • Crown
    Crown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vilestride wrote: »
    I like 12-16. One of the key reasons is that at this size there is no fight you have to run from. Whether it be a 24 man raid, a 60 man faction stack or a combination of both.

Yep. I used to be the same for a long time. In more recent times though I've been really enjoying 6-11, ironically for that exact reason lol. As a group leader it gives you one extra decision you have to make... 'can I participate in this fight or do we have to run for our lives.' Also plays a lot differently and the group composition is a little different.

@IxSTALKERxI When in a group of 6-8, have you tried fighting a full 24 where almost every single person except 1 is running plague doctor / heartland / earthgore, and that one left over is in plague doctor / transmute / earthgore, they all keep quick cloak up, a few spam encase, and almost all have destro ults on back-bar?

You can string them out - sometimes, kill a few at a time with single target (and aoe if you're in very high damage builds), though they'll rez and recover while you're pulling back to recharge ults / resources.. Those are fights that we (running about 8 most of the time) tend to keep away from.

None of them can do any damage on their own, though the little bits add up - especialy with more than 10 destros at the same time. It doesn't matter if one person's proxy only does 1k damage in a stam build - if you get 24 of them coming at you and you can't get out of it, you lose.

The current style of "full tank" with a little bit of damage, then stacking numbers until that "little bit" adds up to enough to kill any opponents really ruins a lot of the fun. It's very easy for people to disdain and insult those groups' competency and skill - but you can't argue the effectiveness of a zerg of tanks running proxys and destros all at the same time.
    Crown | AD NB | First AD/NA Grand Overlord (2015/12/26)
    PvP Guides @ DarkElves.com
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Come at me

You forgot the 'Bro' part... 'Come at me, Bro' :wink:

But yeah, from Stalkers later post, its what I thought he was getting at - figuring out the makup of the average zerg - especially after discussions about how co-ordinated burst can make a mess of ball-groups, while raising the question of just how many of the opponents are grouped and therefore can actually co-ordinate burst?

I know for sure I've been in successful sieges where every single person involved was solo. Not one grouped person.. Tends to happen when people go off to flip a resource near an enemy keep to find a couple other people with the same idea.. you head to another resource to find that already flipping too - with no opposition appearing, then you kind of organically end up gathering at the front gate just looking for a fight when all are flipped and just think 'may as well start sieging'.. ant the others join in. Sometimes soloers can be the best team-players..
    But are we suddenly not allowed to be called soloers?

Edited by Biro123 on October 13, 2017 4:41PM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crown wrote: »
    I like 12-16. One of the key reasons is that at this size there is no fight you have to run from. Whether it be a 24 man raid, a 60 man faction stack or a combination of both.

Yep. I used to be the same for a long time. In more recent times though I've been really enjoying 6-11, ironically for that exact reason lol. As a group leader it gives you one extra decision you have to make... 'can I participate in this fight or do we have to run for our lives.' Also plays a lot differently and the group composition is a little different.

@IxSTALKERxI When in a group of 6-8, have you tried fighting a full 24 where almost every single person except 1 is running plague doctor / heartland / earthgore, and that one left over is in plague doctor / transmute / earthgore, they all keep quick cloak up, a few spam encase, and almost all have destro ults on back-bar?

You can string them out - sometimes, kill a few at a time with single target (and aoe if you're in very high damage builds), though they'll rez and recover while you're pulling back to recharge ults / resources.. Those are fights that we (running about 8 most of the time) tend to keep away from.

None of them can do any damage on their own, though the little bits add up - especialy with more than 10 destros at the same time. It doesn't matter if one person's proxy only does 1k damage in a stam build - if you get 24 of them coming at you and you can't get out of it, you lose.

The current style of "full tank" with a little bit of damage, then stacking numbers until that "little bit" adds up to enough to kill any opponents really ruins a lot of the fun. It's very easy for people to disdain and insult those groups' competency and skill - but you can't argue the effectiveness of a zerg of tanks running proxys and destros all at the same time.

Isn't that what many 4-mans have been doing for ages... ie full-tank with kiting tools, kill with timed ulti-dump.. Its a nightmare for soloers (when alone @Irylia :wink: )..
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Such a lame play style should not exist, literally ruining the PvP experience. This needs to die by fire. Its figuratively like the sword and board tank killing with procs a few patches ago. Fundamentally the same concept and equally uninspiring and lame.

The root of the problem is the communist "raise the floor, lower the ceiling" policy. Thats why sets like earthgore exist. It allows C-tier raids to artificially experience higher level performance. I can entertain ZOS' incentive for doing so in an attempt to make the game more accommodating for all. But speaking strictly from the perspective of quality and fostering skillful excellent game play, the design philosophy is detrimental.

I mean think about it. Would you send you kids to a school where they "raise the floor and lower the ceiling"? If you had to undergo a triple bypass open heart surgery, would you choose a hospital where they "raise the floor and lower the ceiling"? If you had a personal fortune, would you entrust your wealth management to a firm that "raises the floor and lowers the ceiling"?
    I know comparing those situations to a video game is a tad bit silly, but the point still stands. Marginalizing upper tier performance and artificially inflating lower tier performance kills quality.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Mazbt
    Mazbt
    ✭✭✭✭
    This size is ideal for me. But I like running smaller and larger groups as well....and zerg surf. It's all good.
    Mazari the Resurrected (AD)- PVP stamplar main
    Maz the Druid - PVP group stam warden
    - many others
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't that what many 4-mans have been doing for ages... ie full-tank with kiting tools, kill with timed ulti-dump.. Its a nightmare for soloers (when alone @Irylia :wink: )..

The majority of our players are in medium or light armor. The two Stam in heavy don’t run shuffle and are 22-24k hp.
    The only “tank” could be the healer which isn’t always in group and even if it is, there are vods on kodi’s stream 4vdozens, justifying at least one support.

But we will continue to go across the map between two enemy factions for our fun.
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only roll alone - cos I'm the cool, self-reliant lone-stranger kind of guy who needs no help from anyone..

*translation - has no friends :wink:

Hello me :)

I enjoy fishing in resources in the middle of nowhere
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to play mostly solo (truly solo, not just ungrouped but alongside a zerg), now it is mostly in a small group of 2-8 players (if i'm playing at all) and, more often than i would like, not far away from other allied groups or zergs. And one important reason for this is the size of the map and the fact that 99% are empty. I don't like running and running and running arround for minutes, just to end up getting zerged and having to run again. I don't like PvE'ing against guards, waiting for some flag to flip, waiting for some enemies to show up, waiting for them to become brave enough (=enough numbers) to attack me, running away or dieing and well, having to run once again ... So we just go, where the nearest action is.

It might seem contradictory at first, but i think, a smaller map would encourage people more to spread out. Because it would become easier to find (smaller) fights. And easier to get back to the action. Less tedious overall.

(Unfortunately it is questionable, if the servers can handle a higher player concentration. But that's another issue ...)
    Edited by Rianai on October 13, 2017 9:51PM
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I havn't been actively pvping since double AP event - just logging on to observe mainly. You're right though 8v24 is pretty much completely off the cards. Good thing about these groups is there is usually only 1 of them on the map at any time. So I'd just avoid them and try and create a fight somewhere else. Problem with that is there isn't really anyone left in the game that can oppose a group like that. I honestly think group size of 24 is too large and would like it to be reduced to 16. Dracarys manages just fine with 16. I think with the right setup / approach an 8v12-16 in open field might be viable against one of these groups. But the whole 24 thing is just disgusting overkill tbh and probably doesn't do the server any favors. At the same time you wouldn't wanna lower the group cap below 16 as then people won't create their own fights - they'll just stack with everyone else.

Oh and yeah, earthgore shouldn't remove enemy ultimates and should maybe even have a 10% nerf on that healing tooltip.

Edit:
    Oh and I'm gonna edit and upload some gameplay from when we were actively playing. (Kinda old footage and has no earthgore but yeah) Can watch us attempt to fight with a smaller group.
    Edited by IxSTALKERxI on October 14, 2017 12:28AM
  • lao
    lao
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone, I've noticed some guilds no longer active in Cyrodiil and some guilds downsizing, I'm genuinely curious as to what group sizes people currently play in.

The reason I'm making this poll is I'm curious if lowering maximum group size from 24 would be a viable way to improve pvp in cyrodiil (when combined with other changes to help make the game less zergy like less healing outside of group etc). This poll is strictly for grouping, so if you zerg surf solo then vote 'I don't group with anyone' even though you're technically inside a zerg.

changing the group size wont change anything. however they should change it so any enemy that has been damaged and killed by more than say 6 ppl (number can be negotiated about but definitaly not more than 8) should automatically only give 1ap while solo kill ap reward should be doubled or even trippled. ppl can be scumbags and zerg but atleast dont reward them for it. that way the leaderboard would actually be led by the players who play the best and not who zerg the most like it is now and becoming emperor would actually be an archievement to be proud of.
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    lao wrote: »

changing the group size wont change anything. however they should change it so any enemy that has been damaged and killed by more than say 6 ppl (number can be negotiated about but definitaly not more than 8) should automatically only give 1ap while solo kill ap reward should be doubled or even trippled. ppl can be scumbags and zerg but atleast dont reward them for it. that way the leaderboard would actually be led by the players who play the best and not who zerg the most like it is now and becoming emperor would actually be an archievement to be proud of.

Yeah they changed AP in thieves guild patch to favor smaller groups. The problem at the moment though is offense ticks. The reason large groups can compete on the leaderboard is offence ticks. Before these were buffed the fastest AP gains were actually from groups no larger than 6 imo.
  • Fasold666
    Fasold666
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the poll: zerglings don't read the forums? :p