The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Maelstrom's Dual Wield weapons Feedback and Suggestions

Izaki
Izaki
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Maelstrom's Dual Wield weapons:
Cruel Flurry adds 2000 weapon damage to the next single target DoT effect applied within 10 seconds of the use of Flurry abilities.

There's is currently a bug: every tick of Poison Injection is consuming the Cruel Flurry buff. (Please fix!) I was still able to test these weapons however and came to the following conclusions:

There's one thing that prevents the use of these weapons: Rearming Trap consuming the Cruel Flurry buff twice. I understand that this is a bug fix. However, let me illustrate why the weapons were so great and how Rearming Trap played a huge role in that:
As many of you may remember, the "Maelstrom Daggers" rotation was very efficient in the way that it empowered all the single target DoTs, here's a very rough description of the rotation:
Cruel Flurry > Rearming Trap > Endless Hail > Poison Injection > Cruel Flurry > Rending Slashes.
You were able to empower Rearming Trap and Poison Injection with just one cast of Cruel Flurry, which allowed for a very smooth and efficient rotation, which is no longer possible. Now, Rearming Trap consuming the buff isn't a problem in itself, its possible to work your way around that. However, the second "arming" of the Trap also consumes the buff, and that is very problematic since you can't control when the Trap rearms, so you can't control when to cast Cruel Flurry to empower it. It also means that to empower one DoT you need to cast Cruel Flurry twice. I understand why it is happening and I also understand that its logical, since Rearming Trap is in fact 2 DoTs that are placed with 1 cast, so it makes sense that both Traps consume Cruel Flurry. What I'm trying to say here, is that its impossible to use the weapons due to the fact that you can't control the consumption of the buff on the second arming of Rearming Trap.
I will also mention that its almost impossible to perform a rotation that buffs all of your single target DoTs and includes heavy attacks, which are mandatory for sustain since Morrowind.

Now let's discuss the second aspect of these weapons: the value of the Cruel Flurry buff.
Here are a few parses of mine without Maelstrom weapons on all the different classes:
Sorcerer:
9dxdpcT.png?2
Dragonknight:
QtNaVzh.png?1
Templar:
qfxk3z2.png?1
NIghtblade:
AFS0y0S.png?1

The reason for 6 million target dummy on Nightblade is that on the 3 million ones, the fight is far too short to analyse anthing due to the ability of self-buffing Minor Berserk and Major Fracture, its all about burst and lucky critical hits. I could post my 50.3k parse on the 3 million dummy, but it wouldn't give any insight.
The reason for 6 million target dummy on Dragonknight is that on the 3 million ones, the fights is also too short and you are only able to use the Standard of Might once, thus falsifying the results, the fact that Major Fracture is present in the test also means that the 6 million dummy is better suited for these tests.

So from these parses, you can see that the "universal" single target DoTs (Rending Slashes, Rearming Trap and Poison Injection) amount to about 15% of the total damage (I was generous there), meaning that the 2003 Cruel Flurry damage buff is only giving you an average weapon damage of about 300 (= 2003 * 0.15). This is comparable to the 5th piece of Hunding's Rage. However, to use Cruel Flurry, you need to spend 2 item slots, thus sacrificing another bonus, in the case of Hunding's Rage, this is Critical Chance. BUT: the more single target DoTs you have in your kit, the better these weapons become. Another DoT that can be empowered is Rend (roughly 6% of the total damage), which is the ultimate you should be using with these weapons. This tips the scale in favor of the Maelstrom weapons over a simple Hunding's Rage. On a Dragonknight you have Noxious Breath and Venomous Claw, which adds further value to these weapons. So the value of the buff definitely isn't a problem, in fact its great!

So the verdict is: the weapons are unusable in their current state, although they have great potential since the amount of effective weapon damage that Cruel Flurry is offering is competitive to the bonuses of popular 5 piece DPS sets.

So I would like to propose a solution that will alter the way these weapons work, making them much simpler to use, thus making them once again a viable option for PvE Stamina DPS.
Cruel Flurry: Flurry abilites add 2003 weapon damage to all the single target DoT effects applied within the next X seconds. X = 3 (X = 4 would be the maximum)

No more "Cruel Flurry buff consumption". DoTs don't consume the buff, in fact, nothing consumes the buff at all, it just stays active for a very short time allowing to bypass the problems of the way Rearming Trap consumes the buff twice as well as limiting the need of using this ability extremely frequently which eases the sustain requirements. So you would apply Cruel Flurry then apply as many DoTs as possible within the next 3 seconds, in order to empower them with one cast of Cruel Flurry. In the end, this will make the rotation similar to what it has been pre-Morrowind.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Wrobel

I really hope you take the time to read this post, since the Maelstrom weapons have so much potential that is simply wasted on the fact that you can't control them. My suggestion is allowing a simple change in functionality to adapt them to the Morrowind sustain and to the fix of the Rearming Trap bug. Thank you for your time!

/IzakiOut
Edited by Izaki on October 10, 2017 4:26PM
@ Izaki #PCEU
#FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
#MoreDPSthanYou
#Stamblade
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The WD itself might need to be tweaked a bit, (now that every ST DoT is empowered), but it certainly seems like something that would raise the floor while only marginally raising the ceiling when it comes to the use of these weapons.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Avran_Sylt wrote: »
    The WD itself might need to be tweaked a bit, (now that every ST DoT is empowered), but it certainly seems like something that would raise the floor while only marginally raising the ceiling when it comes to the use of these weapons.

Yes indeed, but I really do hope that they take the time to read this feedback, I've spent about 3 hours testing these weapons trying to wrap my head around what was happening with the buff, it was just disappearing for no reason! Then i found out it was poison injection so I tested it without it. Then I tried to find a rotation when you'd empower both Traps but it was just impossible.

The weapon damage might indeed need to be tweaked. The goal would be at least 400 effective weapon damage however. It takes 4 DoTs to beat that, which is basically all the DoTs available to every class aside from DK. What balances this out is the fact that DKs have very limited bar space and very limited sustain. They also make better use of Standard of Might rather than Rend, which also brings them kind of in line with the others. So it may need tweaking, but so far, I think that its fine. If we had this change on the next PTS week it would be great, since it would give us the time to test this stuff. The Poison injection bug needs to be fixed though.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Izaki wrote: »
    If we had this change on the next PTS week it would be great, since it would give us the time to test this stuff.

so they can throw all the stuff over when it goes live, like last patch? ^^
    PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If we had this change on the next PTS week it would be great, since it would give us the time to test this stuff.

so they can throw all the stuff over when it goes live, like last patch? ^^

Hehe yeah, good point.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • WornLocc
    WornLocc
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for this thread. I very much agree on your recommended fix for these weapons.

Right now these weapons aren't even considered usable because of the lack of sustain and how they just work, also because of the bug(s) you mentioned. They seriously need to buff them to make them up par with other competitive DPS sets, also it would add more character diversity to the game which is a very good thing.

Hopefully we'll see some changes to these, as for now they're another dead "set" in the game, holding no weight in any kind of use.

• Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    WornLocc wrote: »
    Thanks for this thread. I very much agree on your recommended fix for these weapons.

Right now these weapons aren't even considered usable because of the lack of sustain and how they just work, also because of the bug(s) you mentioned. They seriously need to buff them to make them up par with other competitive DPS sets, also it would add more character diversity to the game which is a very good thing.

Hopefully we'll see some changes to these, as for now they're another dead "set" in the game, holding no weight in any kind of use.

Glad you agree! :) Like you said, its a shame that these weapons that are locked behind the hardest solo content in the game are impossible to use due to certain mechanics and bugs, as well as the obvious sustain issues. What's funny is that I hated these weapons back when they were BiS because of the monotonous playstyle on every class. However, with the way the game currently works, I think that these weapons will be very interesting to use.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Fully agreed, nice idea, I tried a lot on live to make these usable, but the issues you mentioned prevent then from being useful.
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can we at least get a heads up on whether these weapons are being looked at please? :)@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_Wrobel
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Shadzilla
    Shadzilla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good write up. I remember a year ago these weapons were meta. After the 33% nerf they took they went from being meta to completely useless. Really disappointing to see these weapons go from a must have bis meta to not even relevant overnight in the 1 tamriel patch... Not sure if your proposed change would put them back near the top of pve stam dps, might have to slightly increase the weapon damage from 2k as well... Either way, your suggested solution is very good and on the right track. Really hope @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_Wrobel @ZOS_RichLambert give us a response.
  • Shadzilla
    Shadzilla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we at least get a heads up on whether these weapons are being looked at please? :)@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_Wrobel

*crosses fingers*
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shadzilla wrote: »

*crosses fingers*

According to ESO live, it won't be happening... Sadly. These weapons are doomed it seems... Lets just hope they buff the 2H enough to be worthy of dropping in the hardest solo content in the game.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Shadzilla
    Shadzilla
    ✭✭✭✭✭

*crosses fingers*

According to ESO live, it won't be happening... Sadly. These weapons are doomed it seems... Lets just hope they buff the 2H enough to be worthy of dropping in the hardest solo content in the game.

What?!?! Are you kidding me? I didn't watch it, what did they say? These weapons are trash.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

*crosses fingers*

What?!?! Are you kidding me? I didn't watch it, what did they say? These weapons are trash.

They said they won't be making too many changes in the final PTS patch. And... Every single one of the changes they've made (aside from the Wrath passive) is just flatout bad or not enough. The vMA 2H buffed from 4.9k to 6k DoT... You call that a buff?
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

*crosses fingers*

They said they won't be making too many changes in the final PTS patch. And... Every single one of the changes they've made (aside from the Wrath passive) is just flatout bad or not enough. The vMA 2H buffed from 4.9k to 6k DoT... You call that a buff?

It was 4.5k base to a 6k base, that is impacted by CP and such, so yes, a 33% increase is a massive buff. Not enough to make it worth slotting crit rush in pve but a buff.

I Wish they would just attach the bleed to uppercut, at least then you have a skill that is useful in PvP and pve. It would give two-hander another dot, something it needs to be competitive in pve end game.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

*crosses fingers*

It was 4.5k base to a 6k base, that is impacted by CP and such, so yes, a 33% increase is a massive buff. Not enough to make it worth slotting crit rush in pve but a buff.

I Wish they would just attach the bleed to uppercut, at least then you have a skill that is useful in PvP and pve. It would give two-hander another dot, something it needs to be competitive in pve end game.

Not enough to make it worth slotting in PvP over a Domihaus piece either...
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

*crosses fingers*

Why the ellipsis? Did you just wonder off at the end of the sentence?
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is obvious, this needs a NERF!
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

*crosses fingers*

Why the ellipsis? Did you just wonder off at the end of the sentence?

... since it can't crit because its an item set and not an enchantment now.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Shadzilla
    Shadzilla
    ✭✭✭✭✭

*crosses fingers*

Wow, this is so sad. People have been complaining every week since PTS dropped...
  • Saint_Bud
    Saint_Bud
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they fix this weapons there will still be the sustain issiu.
    PVP Saint-Bud magicka Templar: AR 49
    PVE Lord Victarion mDK : dro'm-Athra-Destroyer pre Morrowind retired for crafting
    PVE Ramsay-Bolton magicka NB: Voice of Reason Clockwork City Patch retired
    VAA hm/ VHRC hm/ VSO hm/ VMOL hm/ VHOF hm/ VAS hm clear

Stop playing PVE because its boring, content not disigned for melee players and class balance and sustain is ***
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Saint_Bud wrote: »
    If they fix this weapons there will still be the sustain issiu.

Yeah, but at least that's an issue that can be resolved, unlike their current state.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oops, wrong thread.
    Edited by techprince on October 22, 2017 7:31PM
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    techprince wrote: »
    The only way to make them usable is to remove the whirlwind requirement and to buff the duration of dots passively.

???? This thread is about Maelstrom Dual Wield not Asylum ones lol
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Ladislao
    Ladislao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    techprince wrote: »
    The only way to make them usable is to remove the whirlwind requirement and to buff the duration of dots passively.

???? This thread is about Maelstrom Dual Wield not Asylum ones lol

People no longer care where and what to whine about. The main thing - whining :p
    Edited by Ladislao on October 22, 2017 1:58PM
    Everything is viable
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is poison injection still consuming the cruel Fury buff with the live version of this? This would be great to know.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Live hasn't hit for me yet as I'm on console primarily, i just play on PTS since my PC char isn't at CP level yet lol
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Shinshadow
    Shinshadow
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_Wrobel Please, please, please, please, PLEASE fix the dual wield maelstrom weapons!!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall there was recent discussion concerning the vMA DW sets and at least specifically with it not working with poison injection.

The way the weapons work do not need to be changed. It just needs to be fixed.

I had to read quite a bit with the OP, we all know what the weapons are and how they used to work. I would suggest getting to the point with the issue in order to better keep the attention of Zos when the read this thread.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a stack of BIS trait swords which are useless to me, wish the 1H could be used for magika builds effectively.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Live hasn't hit for me yet as I'm on console primarily, i just play on PTS since my PC char isn't at CP level yet lol
    idk wrote: »
    I recall there was recent discussion concerning the vMA DW sets and at least specifically with it not working with poison injection.

The way the weapons work do not need to be changed. It just needs to be fixed.

I had to read quite a bit with the OP, we all know what the weapons are and how they used to work. I would suggest getting to the point with the issue in order to better keep the attention of Zos when the read this thread.

They would still be unusable due to the fact that Trap is fixed now and consumes the enchantment which is like 1 3rd of the OP. Since Rearming Trap arms twice, it means that it consumes the enchantment twice and its not exactly easy to control when the second trap arms. So, fixing Poison Injection is not sufficient at all. The weapons would still be way too hard to use especially in raids.

That's the reason for the long OP, to demonstrate in detail how the weapons currently work and how that is an issue. And yet you tell me that its too long, that no changes need to be made (just a fix for Injection) and you don't even account for the fact that Rearming Trap poses a major problem with these weapons.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade