Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Take Your RNG and....

Bladefyr
Bladefyr
✭✭✭
...shove it!

Seriously! 1140 raw clothier materials refined this morning and 2....yes TWO Dreugh Wax. Now, I don't know if you and the game just have something against me, but I'm damned sure that a drop rate/refine rate of .00175% should NEVER happen! When combined with the unicorn (any desirable dungeon/trial weapon) drop rates, it really promotes the "why bother" mindset or even a /rageuninstall.

End rant.
Bladefyr - Shadowed Legion
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you should check perfect roe drop rates :p
    Edited by method__01 on October 1, 2017 12:30PM
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

Vasanha
    This one hears nothing. Sees nothing. This one only sweeps.
    desperately need a survey assistant
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2f9.gif
  • Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    I acquired the "why bother" mindset in another game a long time ago and it suits ESO perfectly.
  • SammyFable
    SammyFable
    ✭✭✭✭
    You were just really really REALLY unlucky.
    Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Tick Tock Terrorist Tormentor
    Immortal Memer
    Gryphon Heart
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SammyFable wrote: »

Agreed. I also think people forget that the odds are the same each time. Doing something multiple times does not change the odds. It just gives you more runs at getting lucky.

That being said if I am refining a lot and get no gold upgrade mats I take a break and try again later. It is more psychological than practical, but works for me.
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Math wrong. You forgot to move the decimal when converting to a percentage.

0.175%
    Xbox NA
  • ereboz
    ereboz
    ✭✭✭✭
    The rng is pretty awful in this game. I've been farming darkshade for months for my netch set. Only need 1 ring and it hasn't dropped at all in the last 15 runs
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The white knights seem to love the RNG.
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. I also think people forget that the odds are the same each time. Doing something multiple times does not change the odds. It just gives you more runs at getting lucky.

That being said if I am refining a lot and get no gold upgrade mats I take a break and try again later. It is more psychological than practical, but works for me.

While it doesn't change the individual attempt odds, running the set of attempts does change the odds of getting poor results.

OP is basically complaining of getting 998 tails and only 2 heads on 1000 coin flips.
    Is it possible? Yes.
    Is it likely? Absolutely not.

The whole reason for refining a lot of mats at once is the same reason to flip a coin a lot of times at once - to blunt the impact of negative odds and use large numbers to arrive close to an expected result.

Flip a coin once and if you get the bad result you have won 0% of the time. Refine once and fail to get a wax you have won 0%. But flip a coin 1000 times and statistically you expect to arrive at about 50% wins. Refine 100 times (1000 mats) and you expect to arrive at about 10% wins, getting 10 wax.

To get 2 when statistical numbers should have you getting 10 is a steep drop.
    Xbox NA
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    is this a bad place to mention that i got 10 wax sent through the mail today?
  • Arthg
    Arthg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The odds are 1 gold mat for every 200 raw mats (i.e. refining 20 times).
    You should have had 5.7 waxes.
    You got two, it is bad luck, but your complaint would be more valid with figures ten times higher than yours.

At some point you'll get gold mats way above the odds, but I doubt you'll come here to celebrate.

PC/EU. NoCP PvP. sDK Orc IRL. Flawless tamperor. Pro scrub.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    same with dungeons - i am still convinced to this day that specific item/trait combos are more likely to drop than others - the sheer amount of training and inigorating gear im getting is not even funny anymore
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, to me it seems youre RNG is still better then mine.
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just go buy what you need from guild stores.

Dungeon drop RNG is one thing which you can't escape.
    But you can just buy exactly what you need instead of playing roulete with the refining.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As a group, we seem to assume that they are using a standard unweighted unchanging drop rate for each random item. We don't know this for sure. If they are using simple random numbers, sure, this is what is going to happen, and there will be streaks of good luck, and streaks of bad luck. If they weight or change these results according to any dynamic criteria then we have no idea what the outcome will be.

Knowing the precise drop rates, and how they are calculated, is not our concern. They don't have to explain it to us, and they are free to change it at any time, without notice.

As RNG is pretty much the only tool in their toolbox, my suspicion is that they have an overly complicated random loot system. It is likely designed to give them finer control over drop rates than a purely random system would allow.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the reasons why I don't play much ESO. I am taking a small break from it. Why? I work, and I am dead tired when I get home. I use to play ESO but for some reason it just seems like work. I work all day, I don't want to work when I get home. So I play other games, and spend my money on other games that I can have fun.

Why am I saying this? Just to let Zenimax know why I don't play as often and why they are not getting my money. Not a complaint but thought after reading this, I should say my opinion.

I want to have fun. Working for something over and over again is not my idea of fun.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree. Seems like the drop rate has dropped to almost zero. I haven't gotten a Perfect Roe in over a year. Usually get one gold refined mat per 600 pieces now instead of 100. First time ever in 3 years that I have to actually buy gold mats to improve gear.
  • Unfadingsilence
    Unfadingsilence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bladefyr wrote: »
    ...shove it!

Seriously! 1140 raw clothier materials refined this morning and 2....yes TWO Dreugh Wax. Now, I don't know if you and the game just have something against me, but I'm damned sure that a drop rate/refine rate of .00175% should NEVER happen! When combined with the unicorn (any desirable dungeon/trial weapon) drop rates, it really promotes the "why bother" mindset or even a /rageuninstall.

End rant.

I did 300 today and got 7
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Funny, I can literally and have done, a number of times, just refine 10/20 raw mats and get gold mats.

RNG truly hates you OP :p
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should I mention the time I refined about 800 Mats and got 20 Dreugh Wax?
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • billp_ESO
    billp_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    One professional gambler put his strategy this way:

1) luck runs in streaks, flipping a coin won't give you a head, tail, heads, tails, ... result, there are streaks
    2) you can't predict the streaks
    3) so, divide your money into 3 piles, and start gambling with one pile
    4) if you get into a streak, ie winning, keep going
    5) if you start losing, stop at about 1/2 of a pile, and come back later.

Of course, in this case, playing craps, you know exactly what the odds are supposed to be. In ESO, you have no idea what the odds are, or even if the odds are the same one roll to the next. This is ridiculous.

And taking cash for gambling without publishing the odds is probably illegal, or should be.

For that reason, I just play ESO as a game, don't buy gambling crates, and refuse to run some dungeon dozens or 100's of times to beat their unknown RNG algorithm. If I have to do without, so be it.
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This morning I refined 10 silk and 10 leather. I got a dreugh wax for each. Random is random. When it works against you it stings for sure but sometimes it can be very generous. Over time it evens out.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bladefyr wrote: »
    ...shove it!

End rant.

Drop rate is 5% of the refining attempts. So, you were left out of 3-4 Dreugh Wax. I usually refine much large batches and can confirm 5% is pretty much the drop rate.
  • ParaNostram
    ParaNostram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    RNGsus giveth, RNGsus taketh away. Okay mostly taketh away.
    "Your mistake is you begged for your life, not for mercy. I will show you there are many fates worse than death."

Para Nostram
    Bosmer Sorceress
    Witch of Evermore

"Death is a privilege that can be denied by it's learned scholars."
    Order of the Black Worm
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest RNG gripe I have right now is in nWGT hunting a divines sash and/or gloves, because not only are there 73 different options for things that drop (3 items, 3 weights, 8 traits each, plus 1 unique), but they also only drops from one boss encounter per run (thank you, whatever designer had the bright idea to just put in one non-pledge boss /s).

I still don't understand why the Scion of Wroth and Iron-Swathed glutton are just giant trash mobs, rather than having been given extra power and raised to mini-boss level, but maybe that's just me.

One of the worst feelings in dungeon farming? When someone gets the item you want, in the trait you want, on a level 13. Truly, it sucks.
  • Xelrick
    Xelrick
    ✭✭✭
    I get my wax from daily writs and hireling more than I refined the mats, due to wax has a lower drop rate than Tempers and Raisin.
    Xelrick: "Do not mix chaos with madness. It will only lead to unexplored adventures."
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    method__01 wrote: »
    you should check perfect roe drop rates :p

REEEEEEEEEE

Those Roe drop rates really know how to give me an aneurism, sometimes I'll get 2 or 3 roe within 50 fish, and then I can cut 400 more fish and get nothing -_-
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • CardboardedBox
    CardboardedBox
    ✭✭✭✭
    My dreugh wax drops like crazy, so much that I almost keep a neverending supply, but my gold woodworking ones (I don't remember what they're called) are insanely rare. Rare as in only receiving a grand total of 11 within a two year time span...

I almost feel they do that to try to force trading with the community or something.
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dreugh wax drops like crazy, so much that I almost keep a neverending supply, but my gold woodworking ones (I don't remember what they're called) are insanely rare. Rare as in only receiving a grand total of 11 within a two year time span...

I almost feel they do that to try to force trading with the community or something.

I could be wrong, but with my tinfoil hat on, I believe the RNG of yellow mats is influenced by what you have equipped. I tend to get Alloys out the butt - yet I don't use a single piece of gear that uses metal/alloy. The only reason my wax and Rosin have managed to build up is because I finished my yellow gear over a year ago.. even then I have about 20 rosin to sit on. (Which isn't that great for the amount of time it's been building up.)
    Edited by lagrue on October 1, 2017 6:59PM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The drop rate is ~5% for gold upgrade mats. Purple upgrade mats are ~10%.

You should only refine materials when 1 gold mat, 2 purple, and around 150 refined is worth more than 200 raw. Usually, it's only profitable to refine <CP 160 mats and rubedo hide scraps.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on October 1, 2017 7:13PM