The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Firearms in ESO.

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yarlenzey wrote: »
    I hope to God that this never, ever happens.

If I wanted to play a FPS, I would go play one.

What do guns have to do with an FPS? They're just weapons.

GW2 has guns, but they are functionally identical to bows. It's just a thematic thing.

Having said that, they're about to introduce scoped sniper rifles and SWAT-looking armour in their next expansion, which is a bit over-the-top and breaks immersion (rifles/pistols up until this point had a steampunk look):

Spec_image_Deadeye.jpg

How is this post related to Elder Scrolls in any way? Off-topic pro-gun lunacy.

GW2 is a fantasy game similar to ESO. GW2 has guns, which up until now were tastefully implemented (steampunk works with fantasy). Their new direction doesn't work though (scoped sniper rifles and futuristic armour don't fit inside a fantasy game).

Steampunk is prominent in the Elder Scrolls series thanks to the Dwemer and Soth Sil. Guns (or some kind of firearm-like weapons) wouldn't feel out of place here.

I don't necessarily want guns added to the game, but they wouldn't stick out if they did add them.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on October 1, 2017 6:15AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vimora wrote: »
    Firearms are lore-breaking, right? None of the ES games has them. However, in theory, we could have them in ESO, as a short-lived thing, an episode in Tamriel's history. Let's say a mad genius mage invents guns and you can get them from him. These are a thing that only he knows the secret to, and once he is wiped out at a later date, his weapons vanish with him.

EDIT: Oh and just for clarification, yes, I mean rapid-fire machine guns. ;)

1. what is the point of having a weapon added that is short lived?
    2. why would a mage want a machine gun? They cast spells that do amazing damage.

A different type of bow would make more sense.
    Edited by idk on October 1, 2017 6:13AM
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firearms are lore-breaking, right? None of the ES games has them. However, in theory, we could have them in ESO, as a short-lived thing, an episode in Tamriel's history. Let's say a mad genius mage invents guns and you can get them from him. These are a thing that only he knows the secret to, and once he is wiped out at a later date, his weapons vanish with him.

Gunpowder is an invention in TES. It's usually used, in later era siege wars.

But Tamriel has never adopted it's use. Simply put? People think it's a stupid idea. People think the crossbow is a stupid idea. And the only people who could actually make a gun of the caliber, size, or operation your describing, are dead. The Dwemer. And even the concept of the crossbow, is looked upon as 'stupid' or 'nieche' when compared to longbows that can be enchanted to essentially be missiles that explode.

For the most part, magic trumps the use of fire arms as being easier, more plentiful to use. Magic, or a sword, does not run out of ammo.

In other words, no. It's never going to happen. That's the in-universe explination. And quite frankly I hop it stays that way.
  • Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

1. what is the point of having a weapon added that is short lived?
    2. why would a mage want a machine gun? They cast spells that do amazing damage.

A different type of bow would make more sense.

1. By "short-lived," I mean for the purposes of this game only.
    2. Because mages like to experiiment and invent stuff?
  • Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yarlenzey wrote: »

What do guns have to do with an FPS? They're just weapons.

GW2 has guns, but they are functionally identical to bows. It's just a thematic thing.

Having said that, they're about to introduce scoped sniper rifles and SWAT-looking armour in their next expansion, which is a bit over-the-top and breaks immersion (rifles/pistols up until this point had a steampunk look):

Spec_image_Deadeye.jpg

How is this post related to Elder Scrolls in any way? Off-topic pro-gun lunacy.

That you want some variety in your game doesn't mean you are pro-gun in real life. Yes, it is a violent game and you're playing it just as much as anyone else so you can quit the fake holier-than-thou attitude.

There are too few weapon skill lines and they are not that great. So either they redesign them to make them fun or they add more weapons. Cuz trust me, if I'm bored with the game after only 2 months, others will be, too.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swords, bows and magic fit so well together.
    I'd rather not have guns in the game exist with said weaponry, they're so 'anime-like' and feels out of place. We're talking about the Elder Scrolls here.

Disclaimer: Not hating on anime, just that it feels rather cringy having guns and bows and all that together.

I didn't realize Warhammer and Pillars of Eternity were "anime."

I mean, there is a legitimate argument for early modern (1600s) era fantasy settings with firearms. Hell, one of my favorate fantasy settings is still Arcanum, which is explicitly 1880s. But, firearms would be (under almost all circumstances) egregiously out of place in ESO.

The most I could give you would be some kind of Treasure Hunter class with a Dwemer Scavenger skill line that included re-purposed dwemer bolt guns. (Like we see on several automata. But, even that would be something of a stretch.
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Short answer. NO!

Long answer. HELL NO!
  • Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    Swords, bows and magic fit so well together.
    I'd rather not have guns in the game exist with said weaponry, they're so 'anime-like' and feels out of place. We're talking about the Elder Scrolls here.

Disclaimer: Not hating on anime, just that it feels rather cringy having guns and bows and all that together.

I didn't realize Warhammer and Pillars of Eternity were "anime."

I mean, there is a legitimate argument for early modern (1600s) era fantasy settings with firearms. Hell, one of my favorate fantasy settings is still Arcanum, which is explicitly 1880s. But, firearms would be (under almost all circumstances) egregiously out of place in ESO.

The most I could give you would be some kind of Treasure Hunter class with a Dwemer Scavenger skill line that included re-purposed dwemer bolt guns. (Like we see on several automata. But, even that would be something of a stretch.

On the contrary, I find it highly unlikely that no one would ever look at a piece of dwarven tech and wonder how it works. Think of what happens in real life. People do everything they can possibly do. Hell, they even try to do things they can't possibly do, like telling the future. And it's just the race of man. What about a world where many more intelligent races exist, ech with their special talents and personalities?

The only argument going for not having guns that I can think of is that this tech is what makes the dwemer special. If other races suddenly start to meddle in it, the dwemer will not be so "magical" any more. And this is fine, leave most of it to the dwemer, but your idea of a scavanger skill line with dwemer bolt guns is awesome and should be implemented.

I'm still not fully sure about the upcoming Clockwork City. It looks so dwemer and yet Soths Sil made it? Sure, Sotha Sil was around when the dwemer were still around, but he was not a god back then. Maybe he was just really influenced by them. Still, I cringe at the thought of dwemer stuff being re-produced by a filthy Tribunal.
  • DPShiro
    DPShiro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    ~ Gryphon Heart ~
    ~ Immortal Redeemer ~
    ~ Grand Master Crafter ~
    ~ Master Angler ~
    ~ Former Emperor ~
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't want no AK47's in ESO...
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • kamimark
    kamimark
    ✭✭✭✭
    Firearms are a terrible idea, both for lore and aesthetics of 2nd era. Redguard is set just before the end of 2E, 3 centuries later.

However, we should have wands, which could be dual-wielded. Not as individually powerful as a staff, but provide faster sharpshooter-type attacks (and count as 2 items for sets).
    Kitty Rainbow Dash. pick, pick, stab.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe there is a reason "Redguard" was unpopular and a flop.... :smiley:

Also, By Dibellas Garters No to firearms!!

Yes, give us Dibella's Garters, not guns. o:)

(and for the folks going, "don't want First Person Shooting in this game!".... um, we already have that. Bows. And staves. But yeah, guns - especially 'automatic machineguns' - would be silly.)
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next Chapter will be ESO - Halo
  • kessik221
    kessik221
    ✭✭✭
    Ew no, i want my medieval fantasy mmo to stay a medieval fantasy mmo.
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lol. Just lol.
  • forwardbias83
    forwardbias83
    ✭✭✭
    The Dwemer probably invented something like that, but is long lost technology waiting to be rediscovered. Either powered by compressed steam or the old style black powder. (Burns with lots of smoke) I have seen video on youtube of a 500 year old hand cannon made out of Iron by the Chinese. Had 3 short barrels. It would of been mounted on a wooden stick. Each barrel had a fuse that would be lit to fire the gun and could fire 3 shots before needing to reload. Probably was not that accurate beyond a short range, and you risked the whole thing blowing up in your face. Having hundreds, even thousands of those things going off at once though, along with thousands of rockets flying at you with iron tipped arrowheads and exploding. The Chinese used those weapons hundreds of years ago to repel the Japanese on 2 separate occasions, so they seemed to be effective. Even if you were not hit by one of the projectiles, the fire, smoke, and loud bangs would of been demoralizing. And once that invention spread to Europe, that was the end of the knight in shining armor. Replaced by the hand cannoneer and musket man.

For a steam powered gun in game, such a thing could be crafted with a combination of wood and metal. Along with Rekipa and Dekipa runes, which would supply the magical source of steam. The weapon skill line could consist of a single target skill (rifle), multi target skill (fragment shot), a fire based DOT skill, a bleeding based DOT skill, and for the 5th, perhaps a 20 second activated buff that increases attack speed and crit chance by X amount.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thanks
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Dwemer Steampunk guns would be cool - however anything with rapid fire had best have low as crap damage per hit or else it will be brutal in terms of balance.

They could make like 3 variants of Steampunk guns which would be cool:

Shotguns - close range, high damage + high pellet damage falloff, 25% chance to stun when within 6 meters
    Single Shot Rifles - Mid Range, Moderate Damage, lower pellet falloff, 5% Armor Piercing
    Snipers - long range, Moderate Damage, no pellet falloff, 5% more chance for critical at "x range" or some such

All in all though, even though I can think up ways for it to work - I would rather not. The last time I saw a swordplay style game introduce guns was Assassin's Creed.... and well, that introduction alone put the developers on a train of thought of technological progression, with each game after having increased emphasis on guns. I'm glad that series is going back to ancient times and doing away with the guns again. It was fun for a bit, but when it become the #1 playstyle they had basically moved too far from their roots.

Things sound nice until you see them in practice or when the slippery slope ensues. At it's core ES is Sword, Staves, Magic etc. typical fantasy gear. Guns aren't lore breaking, but they also don't really feel proper imo.
    Edited by lagrue on October 1, 2017 6:19PM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Sarah Connor?"

"Come with me if you want to live."

No, you're thinking Pelinal Whitestrake. ;)
    I'm still not fully sure about the upcoming Clockwork City. It looks so dwemer and yet Soths Sil made it? Sure, Sotha Sil was around when the dwemer were still around, but he was not a god back then. Maybe he was just really influenced by them. Still, I cringe at the thought of dwemer stuff being re-produced by a filthy Tribunal.

Sotha Sil's been doing that for ages. Yes, even before he became a god; him studying the Dwemer artifacts Keening, Sunder, and Wraithguard were how the Tribunal were able to semi-ascend in the first place. We've even been to the Clockwork City before in the Tribunal expansion for ESIII. And unless I'm misremembering, the Nerevarine even got a quest to go investigate the Fabricants and had to confirm that 'No, they're not Dwemer constructs, because the Dwemer constructs are fighting them.' So this isn't a surprise; rather the contrary, it would be lore-breaking and out-of-character for it NOT to be Dwemer-flavored and mechanical.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Eirella
    Eirella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But why
    (PC/NA) - | @Eirella - formerly @jinxgames | CP 1000+ | Mainly PvPer (EP) | Haxus
    /uninstalled
  • ereboz
    ereboz
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will definitely stop playing if they bring in guns. Yes, at some point the Redguards used guns, but not even close to this timeline and they were the only ones, so it wouldn't make sense if the other races used them. Firearms have never been a part of Elder Scrolls gaming that we all actually enjoyed.
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    DarkAedin wrote: »

@Bouldercleave u never played eso in 1st person?
    U have any idea how much fun a cyro campaign would b if everyone was forced into 1st?

You know that makes some people vomit, right? Visual motion sickness is a thing--I wouldn't even be able to play this game if I couldn't zoom out! Very glad they don't force it.

although sometimes you do due to *** camera angles.Makes me wish it was 3rd person only.
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Firearms? There u go
    no-its-fine.jpg
  • DeadlyPhoenix
    DeadlyPhoenix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please, for the love of all that is Tamriel, never ever add guns or anything of the sort to any Elder Scrolls games. I love the fantasy sword and spell aspect of it, adding firearms would greatly diminish my love for the series. It's one of the reasons I didn't care for WoW too much with their dwarven firearms.

I'll go play Fallout when I want an Elder Scrolls experience with guns.
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is a thinly veiled reference to the existence of crossbows in morrowind, disappearence in oblivion, and return-as-if-long-gone in skyrim... good job :p
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the contrary, I find it highly unlikely that no one would ever look at a piece of dwarven tech and wonder how it works.

This is something we've explicitly seen from a handful of individuals in the single player games and ESO. What I was trying to say, and apparently didn't make clear, was that I'd be pretty cool with a dedicated Dwemer scavenger class. Where you play as a character who's always trying to find new bits of dwemer tech to tinker with. I said, "Treasure Hunter," because it would make more sense for the class to be a more broad spectrum support class, with other options, beyond just Dwemer based tech.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »
    Firearms? There u go
    no-its-fine.jpg

It's nice to know that the right to arm bears is alive and well in Tamriel.
  • Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Sarah Connor?"

"Come with me if you want to live."

No, you're thinking Pelinal Whitestrake. ;)

Sotha Sil's been doing that for ages. Yes, even before he became a god; him studying the Dwemer artifacts Keening, Sunder, and Wraithguard were how the Tribunal were able to semi-ascend in the first place. We've even been to the Clockwork City before in the Tribunal expansion for ESIII. And unless I'm misremembering, the Nerevarine even got a quest to go investigate the Fabricants and had to confirm that 'No, they're not Dwemer constructs, because the Dwemer constructs are fighting them.' So this isn't a surprise; rather the contrary, it would be lore-breaking and out-of-character for it NOT to be Dwemer-flavored and mechanical.

Thanks for the explanation, now I feel better about the Clockwork City. :)
  • Insanepirate01
    Insanepirate01
    ✭✭✭
    No firearms please. Would kill the whole Medieval feel of ESO, though I must agree staves on the back are pretty fugly. Wish they would add spells in hand like Skyrim.