The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Firearms in ESO.

Vimora
Vimora
✭✭✭✭
Firearms are lore-breaking, right? None of the ES games has them. However, in theory, we could have them in ESO, as a short-lived thing, an episode in Tamriel's history. Let's say a mad genius mage invents guns and you can get them from him. These are a thing that only he knows the secret to, and once he is wiped out at a later date, his weapons vanish with him.

EDIT: Oh and just for clarification, yes, I mean rapid-fire machine guns. ;)
Edited by Vimora on September 30, 2017 6:18PM
  • Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vimora wrote: »
    Firearms are lore-breaking, right? None of the ES games has them. However, in theory, we could have them in ESO, as a short-lived thing, an episode in Tamriel's history. Let's say a mad genius mage invents guns and you can get them from him. These are a thing that only he knows the secter to, and once he is wiped out at a later date, his weapons vanish with him.

One of the Redguards factions had guns and Cannons if you played elder scrolls "Redguard" before. Forgot the name of it but in the lore they appeared after the "Warp in the West" event they also still have knowledge of Yokudan sword singing.

So Guns in ESO isn't lore breaking and could be a thing.
    Edited by Anti_Virus on October 1, 2017 12:58AM
    Power Wealth And Influence.
  • Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not that big of a lore-monkey, so good to know. Thanks.
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I hope to God that this never, ever happens.

If I wanted to play a FPS, I would go play one.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firearms are lore-breaking, right? None of the ES games has them. However, in theory, we could have them in ESO, as a short-lived thing, an episode in Tamriel's history. Let's say a mad genius mage invents guns and you can get them from him. These are a thing that only he knows the secret to, and once he is wiped out at a later date, his weapons vanish with him.

Why?
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • CardboardedBox
    CardboardedBox
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the closest thing to guns they would ever even consider adding, are crossbows. And they don't seem to even want to add that.
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd much rather rebuild the Numidium
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Those would be lore breaking. The setting has (arguably) some single shot firearms. Redguard is a major reference point for this stuff, but not the only one.

The problem isn't the mechanical complexity. It's that you need gunpowder which burns ridiculously cleanly, and a lot of technological refinement to end up with modern firearms.

Now, it wouldn't surprise me if we got muzzle loading firearms in TES6, and if Bethesda brought the power armor mechanics from FO4 along for the ride. But, I doubt we'll ever see any of that in ESO.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There kind of is a gun you can use. It's in the fighters guild skill line. I mean it's a single shot and not very powerful but it's there.
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe there is a reason "Redguard" was unpopular and a flop.... :smiley:

Also, By Diabellas Garters No to firearms!!
    Edited by wenchmore420b14_ESO on September 30, 2017 8:22PM
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There kind of is a gun you can use. It's in the fighters guild skill line. I mean it's a single shot and not very powerful but it's there.
    That would be a hand crossbow, not a "gun" per definiton.

Same with the dwemer automaton weapons - either crossbow-based tech, or magic thrower tech. Though steamgunner stuff would fit with their theme, seeing how ESO plays centuries before the other TES games... it would make no sense at all to have actual guns appear here, then get forgotten again when the main point of guns in a fantasy setting would be that they can be made by everyday craftsmen instead of needing master wizards to enchant stuff.

Magic weapons that have some similarities to guns though... like those mentioned dwemer contraptions... I'd say, that could make a nice skill similar to the fighters guild crossbow - pull out a single shot dwemer gun, shoot your enemy in the face... I once toyed wich such an idea for my Scholars Guild concept... https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/306759/additional-guild-ideas but it could just as well make some undaunted uoltimate or whatever...

But forget any machine gun ideas. Game balance needs be preserved, after all... and it took centuries from the first gun invention to a rapid fire version that didn't blow up in the users face anyhow, so... nope.
  • Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    You don't need to be realistic in a fantasy game, but of course the machine gun was just a joke. What i was thinking is a new kind of gun-weapon (can be something along the lines of what you said) with its own skill line, just like the bow.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We get Robots with scanners on their forheads . Guns are too high tech . [sarcastic font]
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The dwemer spheres in Vvardenfell and HoF are using the precursor to the blunderbuss, which was a shotgun esque weapon used by pirate's for boarding parties.

We, however, are not likely to get them or even know what they do.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guns and firearms,
    i hope this never happens in eso
  • DarkAedin
    DarkAedin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bouldercleave u never played eso in 1st person?
    U have any idea how much fun a cyro campaign would b if everyone was forced into 1st?
  • Shezzarrine
    Shezzarrine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DarkAedin wrote: »

U have any idea how much fun a cyro campaign would b if everyone was forced into 1st?

Like he said, if you want to play an FPS, then go play Destiny. This is not and should never be a shooter or anything resembling a shooter
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

First person is not my issue here, "shooter" (as in firearms) is.
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why use guns when a wizard could melt your barrel and make it explode in your arms???
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You know that makes some people vomit, right? Visual motion sickness is a thing--I wouldn't even be able to play this game if I couldn't zoom out! Very glad they don't force it.
  • CardboardedBox
    CardboardedBox
    ✭✭✭✭

Almost everyone plays in third person. First person is widely hated.
  • Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never played a FPS in my life. Why is everyone assuming I wanna turn this game into one?
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why would we need guns when we have the Aldmeri equivalent to a laser cannon?
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a Projectile Firearm could exist on Nirn, then you know Sotha Sil invented one at least, I get the feeling that dude built everything imaginable.

But no, Tamriel just hasn't gone in that direction at all. The most we get are Crossbows, and even then there's an NPC in Wayrest that tells you he got scammed into investing Gold into a "Handheld Ballista" idea that went south and was frankly preposterous.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • inespeloazul
    inespeloazul
    ✭✭✭
    We already have them. They're called staves.
  • Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    But I hate the way staves look on my toon's back and I don't even have a setting to hide them. QQ
  • Hanzus
    Hanzus
    ✭✭✭
    There are literally TONS of awesome gun games out there, looking forward to getting the newest call of duty myself, but I sure wouldn't want guns in this game, this is my get away from gun games game ;) .
    "Walk always in the light, or we will drag you to it."
    -Vigilant of Stendarr

Nords, the true sons of Skyrim!
    PC NA
  • Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Those would be lore breaking. The setting has (arguably) some single shot firearms. Redguard is a major reference point for this stuff, but not the only one.

The problem isn't the mechanical complexity. It's that you need gunpowder which burns ridiculously cleanly, and a lot of technological refinement to end up with modern firearms.

Now, it wouldn't surprise me if we got muzzle loading firearms in TES6, and if Bethesda brought the power armor mechanics from FO4 along for the ride. But, I doubt we'll ever see any of that in ESO.

I should clarify that the guns in the game were Muskets/Flintlock guns not modern machine guns.
    Power Wealth And Influence.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What do guns have to do with an FPS? They're just weapons.

GW2 has guns, but they are functionally identical to bows. It's just a thematic thing.

Having said that, they're about to introduce scoped sniper rifles and SWAT-looking armour in their next expansion, which is a bit over-the-top and breaks immersion (rifles/pistols up until this point had a steampunk look):

Spec_image_Deadeye.jpg
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on October 1, 2017 5:37AM
  • Wolfchild07
    Wolfchild07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We get Robots with scanners on their forheads . Guns are too high tech . [sarcastic font]

"Sarah Connor?"

"Come with me if you want to live."
  • Sneaky-Snurr
    Sneaky-Snurr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swords, bows and magic fit so well together.
    I'd rather not have guns in the game exist with said weaponry, they're so 'anime-like' and feels out of place. We're talking about the Elder Scrolls here.

Disclaimer: Not hating on anime, just that it feels rather cringy having guns and bows and all that together.
    The Order of the Shadows: Nightmare
      EP CP810 Nightblade
      AD CP810 Templar
      AD CP810 Dragon Knight
      AD Lvl 25 Sorceror
      DC Lvl 23 Nightblade
    {PC•NA•no-CP Ravenwatch}

Shadow hide you. -Unknown
    There is no clean fight in a war. -Shun Izaki