The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What are my odds of getting 200 Crown Gems by extracting every single item I can from 15 crates?

Wolfycrash
Wolfycrash
Soul Shriven
Looking to get a specific legendary reward from Reaper's Harvest Season and I missed out on the free crates, so I'm gonna spend $40 on 15 crown crates and I'm wondering what my odds are of getting 200 gems if I extract every item I possibly can from every crate
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's possible, however you have to get quite lucky. I buy 15 crates every season and extract everything I can. First season I got ~120, second season ~320, this season ~95.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doable.
    If u get a cosmetic item u dont own, u have to keep it, can't trade in.
    So far, the majority of stuff i got from the free ones (1+4+3?) was potions, soulgems, poisons and so. I traded in all i could and got a total of 97 gems. I considered it very lucky, that i only got three items i had to keep: Dragon Face Tattoo, Dragon Body Tattoo and a Nix Hound.
    Murphy sais: If u buy the crates in order to get gems, u'll most likely end up with a lot of creepy, ugly creatures that will haunt your collections for forever.
    Edited by eso_nya on September 30, 2017 3:18PM
  • kaorunandrak
    kaorunandrak
    ✭✭✭
    Really think they should allow us to trade in ALL the items we don't *** want, got a bunch of crap in the free ones that are useless to me, including one of the mounts.
    Guild Leader of The Crimson Moon PVE/PVP NA
    Join CM! http://thecrimsonmoon.enjin.com/page/724665/recruitment?gid=72859-0

Kaoru Nandrak - V16 DK Stamina DPS 2h/Heavy
    Jaoul Deathbringer - V16 NB Stamina DPS DW/Medium
    Zantare Deshuld - V16 NB Magicka Sap Tank S&B/Heavy
    Jarl Nan'Drak - Sorc Magika DPS 2h/Light
    Vilder Ymirson- Temp Magika DPS DW/Light
    Graywulf Odakai- DK Magika Tank S&B/Heavy
  • SirGabenOfSteamia
    SirGabenOfSteamia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Usually I get about 200 from 18. But then again, I'm not very lucky. So it's very possible
    And so, Akatosh revealed himself to a young Gaben, and granted him purpose.
    "Grant them Steam sales," he commanded.
    And obey, he did.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Miss Bizz is the gm of one of my guilds. She really, really wanted a pig.... so she figured out how many crates she'd need to get one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eojQGZsdefM
  • Eatmyface
    Eatmyface
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, murphy's law will bite you.

I managed to get 2 x sheogorath and a BA motif in one lot of 15. That's 99 gems worth right there in three items. But, on average, you're unlikely to get more than another 50 odd from trading in the rest of the trash. And that's if you're lucky enough to not get mounts that you won't be able to convert.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pacrooti thinks your odd are excellent my friend!

Disclaimer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zaapWsqE--0
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe? I got 100 gems from 15 crates just because mostly it was stacks of potions and things that were worth 2 gems, or duplicates of things I already had that were worth 5. But if you listen to that awful Pacrooti of COURSE YOU WILL YOU HAVE A LUCKY AURA.

grr.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    of COURSE YOU WILL YOU HAVE A LUCKY AURA.

It could be an aura of bad luck.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • iiYuki
    iiYuki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made over 600 gems from 60 crates if that's anything to go by.
    "Play how you want... unless its not how we intended you to play in which case we'll nerf it".
    - ZO$

- The ZO$ Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmUJWP_ebsQ
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using some info from: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/295049/crown-crates-fair-warning

From a sample of 731 crates it seems that consumables have around a 72% chance of dropping from a crown crate. Assuming that holds to 3/4 cards always being a consumable (ignoring the random 5th card for now), at the most you will need to buy 67 crown crates (3 gems from consumables per crate) to have 200 gems from consumables only, and all collectibles obtained are unique. This is a worst case scenario (and perhaps impossible too, as I don't think the crown crates have 67 unique items).

I would buy a pack of 15, see how many gems you accumulate (or, if you are lucky, you get what you're looking for), and then decide if you want to continue from there.

This is purely from the perspective of going only for gems from a non-unique source at a value of 1gem each. In practice you're much more likely to get the odd XP scroll or what have you that really bumps you up, as well as several duplicates of superior grade collectibles (5gem each)
    Edited by Avran_Sylt on October 2, 2017 5:51PM
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It'll largely depend on how many of those cosmetic items you already own.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The more stuff you own already will influence how many gems you get for duplicates. Rng will control how many "consumables" you get, so really no way to tell.

I'd be on the really low side, because there haven't been many costumes/hats/personalities/polymorph things in the store that I liked. Got every senche mount they've offered for sale, but not so much the outfits and hats.....
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pretty slim
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266