The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Critical Resistance

oMrRust
oMrRust
✭✭✭✭
What is the current Maximum Critical Resistance one can have?

How much is recommended?
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    CRITICAL RESISTANCE SOURCES:
    • 2500 Armor Set: Impregnable Armor
    • 1304 Armor Set: Robes of Transmutation
    • 258/p Armor Trait: Impenetrable
    • 0-1650 CP Passive: Resistant

• oMrRust
    oMrRust
    ✭✭✭✭

But is there a cap still? I remember max being around 3k, 3.5k
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    oMrRust wrote: »

There is no cap, never was.
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll want to aim for 2k
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • FoldingStars13

I've always believed the cap to be 3.5k too....weird. There must have been something written at sometime stating that otherwise why would we both think that?

• paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I've always believed the cap to be 3.5k too....weird. There must have been something written at sometime stating that otherwise why would we both think that?

Well at the very least when I first started doing my testing after seeing people claiming that I saw that it was a false claim. Really easy to test really. Go to the PTS, put on as much resistance as you can and have your friend get as much crit damage as they can, compare.
  • FoldingStars13

Well at the very least when I first started doing my testing after seeing people claiming that I saw that it was a false claim. Really easy to test really. Go to the PTS, put on as much resistance as you can and have your friend get as much crit damage as they can, compare.

I'm on Xbox so unfortunately I can't go onto the Pts server :'(

• Airyus
    Airyus
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see a poll on how many people still run high crit builds in pvp
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'm on Xbox so unfortunately I can't go onto the Pts server :'(

Well you can do it on Live too, just costs money to get the CP changed and to get the gear done.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well, most people get their information second hand and do not understand it completely. So getting resistance to 50% crit damage (which is the default value) is 3300 crit resist. One people say this and adds he is resistant to maximum damage (forgetting there is more crit) and second person reads it and suddenly feels like that is the cap.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plus back in the day there was literally only so much crit resistance possible, that's probably where the old "max" came from
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no Crit Resist cap, but people talk about 3.3k as that's the mitigation needed to cancel the stock 50% crit damage

Obviously people can stack crit damage alot higher but that's why many talk about circa 3.3k being the ideal / base / cap
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Airyus wrote: »

They shouldn´t have nerfed shadow. That basically put an end to building around crit in pvp. Thx pvelers :wink:
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

They shouldn´t have nerfed shadow. That basically put an end to building around crit in pvp. Thx pvelers :wink:

PvE'ers almost never used Shadow, it was just shortly on PTS for Horns of the Reach and while TBS was a thing. But beyond that it was Thief or bust.
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    There is no Crit Resist cap, but people talk about 3.3k as that's the mitigation needed to cancel the stock 50% crit damage

Obviously people can stack crit damage alot higher but that's why many talk about circa 3.3k being the ideal / base / cap

I always refer to both the Crit Resist and Resistances as Floating Caps. They both have a Cap. But it is floating relative to your opponent and the situation. Saying that Crit Resist has no cap, is kind of misleading. It has a cap, at which point any additional resist is void / worthless.
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

PvE'ers almost never used Shadow, it was just shortly on PTS for Horns of the Reach and while TBS was a thing. But beyond that it was Thief or bust.

Oh yeah and they managed to get it "adjusted" aka nerfed in the short time they used it on pts. That´s exactly what i meant. Thanks for pointing that out.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I guess the real question is/should be:
    "How viable is the impen trait or crit resistance in general, in comparison to how highly valued it use to be?"

Back in the day, anything over 55-60% crit, we would take shadow mundus for inc crit dmg.
    Now I'm consistently fighting mag dk's in Cyrodiil with 30% crit.
    Sure some Sorcs & magblades have between 40-50% crit, but are we still getting the same amount of reduction of yesteryear? Is it still worth going full impen in pvp?
    I keep wondering if using full nirn would be potentially better because it's reducing all damage not just crit damg.
    Or even just stacking cp for impen & using nirn armor.
    I may not be wording this correctly, I understand how it works I just suck at explaining it; sorry.
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kaithuzar wrote: »
    "How viable is the impen trait or crit resistance in general, in comparison to how highly valued it use to be?"

Back in the day, anything over 55-60% crit, we would take shadow mundus for inc crit dmg.
    Sure some Sorcs & magblades have between 40-50% crit, but are we still getting the same amount of reduction of yesteryear? Is it still worth going full impen in pvp?
    I keep wondering if using full nirn would be potentially better because it's reducing all damage not just crit damg.
    I may not be wording this correctly, I understand how it works I just suck at explaining it; sorry.

Crit are what kills you. Reinforced or Nirn probably mitigate most damage over time, but that is like DoT. 10k damage DoT does not kill as good as 10K burst.

Btw you make your post confusing with these percentages. Like "fighting mag dk's in Cyrodiil with 30% crit." do you mean they have 30% crit damage? Or 30% crit damage on top of base 50% crit damage? Or you mean you have 30/80 crit damage? Or you mean they have 30% crit resist/you have 30% crit resist? Or do you mean they/you take 30% crit from default crit (meaning 20% crit resist)
    Edited by SodanTok on September 24, 2017 11:19AM
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have 3400 crit resistance with transmutation proc, so it's 50% and it's enough for me.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Oh yeah and they managed to get it "adjusted" aka nerfed in the short time they used it on pts. That´s exactly what i meant. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yea but to blame that whole PTS thing one any group of players is really wrong, that whole deal was mishandled by the devs. Changing A LOT of things from the last PTS incremental to the first Live update without giving us any heads up or proper explanation as to why and what their line of thinking was. Scrapping almost any and all testing that was done that PTS period.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Astrid_V wrote: »
    I have 3400 crit resistance with transmutation proc, so it's 50% and it's enough for me.

3400 is the new 2500. To help survive in anything but HA/shields you need 7 pc impen+CP, impreg+ some Cp, and trans+ some CP. Anything to help you reach 3000-3400 minimum. 3800 is better if you roll trans and impreg.

Players that roll 80% crit DMG can do extra DMG on your if you are below 4000 crit resists. But that DMG won't be crazy high (I think it's around 10% extra crit DMG.)
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    kaithuzar wrote: »

All "perma-block" builds have an artificially inflated crit chance due to vengeance.

Furthermore, as a light armor build, major prophecy sits you at 50% crit and elfborn is a fairly solid damage CP star that also increases your healing. This means it's not uncommon for people to have 50% crit and 1.69 CHD modifier(1.79 for Templar/NB). If I've got a coin flip to determine wether an opponent can nuke me then I want some insurance against that.

Imo, most pvp deaths are one of two things: too many sources of damage to deal with, or are a big burst. There's not much that can be done about getting zerged down but I can do something about eating a 10K frag crit.

Also, I think I'm one of the few people still running relatively high crit chance and CHD and I'm still very very successful. Over 60% critical t chance and 1.88 CHD
    Edited by Lexxypwns on September 24, 2017 5:21PM