Maintenance for the week of June 10:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 10

Please don't add transmutation crystals to crown store

jlboozer
jlboozer
✭✭✭✭✭
Title, that would be the exact definition of p2w. Please don't ruin the game like that, thanks!

*Edit: Gina confirmed below that they will not be added to CS. Thanks!
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jlboozer wrote: »
    Title, that would be the exact definition of p2w. Please don't ruin the game like that, thanks!

Which is why they won't...probably. At least not for a good while.
    Options
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

How exactly would it be pay to win? There are in game ways to farm the items to do this. You could even farm the equipment itself, if you wanted. All adding it to the crown store would do is make it faster. Much like an xp scroll takes the grind out of leveling and makes it faster.

I always thought p2w was defined as something you had to pay for and was better then anything else in the game. And none of that is true.
    Edited by vyndral13preub18_ESO on September 19, 2017 1:14PM
    Options
  • jlboozer
    jlboozer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How exactly would it be pay to win? There are in game ways to farm the items to do this. All adding it to the crown store would donos make it faster. Much like an xp scroll makes takes the grind out of leveling.

I always thought p2w was defined and something you had to pay for and was better then anything else in the game. And none of that is true.

Dont kid yourself it is p2w...the difference between a powered vma weapon and sharpened/infused is huge. You would be paying to increase your dps...which is winning IMO!
    Options
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

No it would not, not at all.

P2W is getting something out of game thru cash that you cannot get in game and that is better than what you can get in game.

This is just giving you a faster way to get what you can get in game. That is the exact definition of P4C - pay for convenience.

Consider that you **CAN** buy ways to reduce dramatically the research rate for traits in the crown store now with last i checked no-cooldown scrolls. You can turn sharpen research into a no-time thing, more or less, to acquire, if you fork over the cash.

To transmute you need the crystals and you need the trait known so... it is lacking any logic to assume one of those is fine but the other is P2W if put in the store.

i won't say it is inevitable for crown crystals to appear but i would find it very likely, though not necessarily immediately.

But they are not P2W.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

Options
  • stevepdodson_ESO888
    stevepdodson_ESO888
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On top of the sage words, it is worth noting that anything you want to transmute still has to be obtained in game (be it weapons or armour). For example, there is not a vMA weapon for sale in the crown store.
    Options
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

How exactly would it be pay to win? There are in game ways to farm the items to do this. All adding it to the crown store would donos make it faster. Much like an xp scroll makes takes the grind out of leveling.

I always thought p2w was defined and something you had to pay for and was better then anything else in the game. And none of that is true.

Dont kid yourself it is p2w...the difference between a powered vma weapon and sharpened/infused is huge. You would be paying to increase your dps...which is winning IMO!

Yes you are paying to increase your dps, by exactly the same amount as if you grind out the crystals. So pay to be the same as people who did it in game. Which comes out PtbtSaPWDiiG. I guess it doesn't sound as cool as p2w. But the point still stands.
    Options
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How exactly would it be pay to win? There are in game ways to farm the items to do this. You could even farm the equipment itself, if you wanted. All adding it to the crown store would do is make it faster. Much like an xp scroll takes the grind out of leveling and makes it faster.

I always thought p2w was defined as something you had to pay for and was better then anything else in the game. And none of that is true.

I get a bit bored of all the cries of 'it's pay to win!' that crop up regularly but this would definitely be edging closer.
    Imo, P2W isn't necessarily something not otherwise available in game. It just had to give you a definite tactical advantage. I'm sure nobody would argue that it would be P2W if they started selling the perfect Maelstrom weapon, for example.
    You could argue that it would only be a time saving item and technically you'd be right. You'd still have needed to earn the right weapon in the first place, after all. But it would still be a worrying move on their part. Something that would enable you to obtain the perfect weapon for money... I'm not sure about this idea at all.
    PS4 EU
    Options
  • ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know where people are getting the idea that "pay to win" means you can't get it without paying. It has never meant that, although there have been cases of it being that way. It has always meant the developers selling items that give players an advantage. That's what this would be. Possibly hours of grinding vs an instant transaction.
    Edited by ThePrinceOfBargains on September 19, 2017 1:41PM
    Options
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's how it starts to be Pay to Win.

Stuff like this are stepping stones on the road.
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »

P2W is getting something out of game thru cash that you cannot get in game and that is better than what you can get in game.

This is just giving you a faster way to get what you can get in game. That is the exact definition of P4C - pay for convenience.

Consider that you **CAN** buy ways to reduce dramatically the research rate for traits in the crown store now with last i checked no-cooldown scrolls. You can turn sharpen research into a no-time thing, more or less, to acquire, if you fork over the cash.

To transmute you need the crystals and you need the trait known so... it is lacking any logic to assume one of those is fine but the other is P2W if put in the store.

i won't say it is inevitable for crown crystals to appear but i would find it very likely, though not necessarily immediately.

But they are not P2W.
    Its an important difference, you can buy potions or scrolls who speeds up stuff who don't take any skill.
    Horse training or research don't take skills. Leveling don't take much skills, yes with skills its far faster, the stones require you to clear veteran dungeons, this takes more skills. yes the easier is no harder than the hardest normals and you can be carried but its still an significant difference.

I say P2W is something is also something who help significant in the game and is hard to get while playing normaly.
    Motifs are cosmetic so don't count, you can always sell writs demanding rare styles you don't know and buy others.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    TheMaster wrote: »
    Don't know where people are getting the idea that "pay to win" means you can't get it without paying. It has never meant that, although there have been cases of it being that way. It has always meant the developers selling items that give players an advantage. That's what this would be. Possibly hours of grinding vs an instant transaction.

If that is p2w then I honestly can't think of a single ftp game that I have played that don't have p2w things in the store. And if that is how you define it this very game already has p2w items in the store.

Most games call it pay for convience. They remove or shorten the grind for whatever said item is. Like reduced research times, horse riding lessons, exp boosters. All give an advantage by shortening or removing the grind.
    Options
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they should be sold in the crown store, but only to me. That would be fair.
    "Get off my lawn!"
    Options
  • Sylosi
    Sylosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought p2w was defined as something you had to pay for and was better then anything else in the game.

That is one type of pay to win, but you also have the other type that has been common in real P2W games for a long time where "technically" you can get something in game but it requires such a level of grind that time wise is simply impossible for most players (let alone requiring a questionable level of sanity) which is then combined with a level of power difference to make it basically a requirement.

Now obviously that does not apply in this case, but just because something is "technically" possible to get in game does not stop it from being P2W.

Edited by Sylosi on September 19, 2017 2:17PM
    Options
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's going to happen, sooner rather than later.
    Options
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Step 1: Have a historically atrocious RNG grind

Step 2: Add a re-trait system that players can only rarely make use of conventionally

Step 3: Make the re-trait system highly accessible via the Crown Store

:unamused:
    Options
  • Saint314Louis1985
    Saint314Louis1985
    ✭✭✭
    if you have ever played a truly p2w game, you would realize that putting the crystals in store would not be p2w.

changing the trait on an item does make you that much more powerful and it can be done for free in game if you dont use crowns

now if the crown store crystals allowed you to change to a more powerful version of a trait or a trait that did not exist outside of those crystals, that would be p2w.
    Edited by Saint314Louis1985 on September 19, 2017 2:37PM
    Options
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    if you have ever played a truly p2w game, you would realize that putting the crystals in store would not be p2w.

changing the trait on an item does make you that much more powerful and it can be done for free in game if you dont use crowns

Over time I think p2w has come to mean anything that the person using the term disagrees with. It really isn't a term anyone thinks about the meaning and what goes with it. It is just a knee jerk, oh I don't think they should that! It is Pay to Win!
    Options
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, How is that P2W ? and What would you win ??
    Options
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cmon.....P2Win items kinda are creeping in already, one could argue both sides of why it should or shouldn't be added.

-You already can buy research progress from the crown store
    -In some arguments, you can buy items that you can sale for gold.....

At this point I'm like whatever, this whole game went from play for progress to pay for some progress and pay for QoL....as this one sums up my thoughts.

now if the crown store crystals allowed you to change to a more powerful version of a trait or a trait that did not exist outside of those crystals, that would be p2w.

Edited by NewBlacksmurf on September 19, 2017 2:45PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
    Options
  • Surak73
    Surak73
    ✭✭✭✭
    As soon as I read this title in the topics list, I told myself: Well, I'm pretty sure that if they would sell these stones in the crown store, someone would come saying "Come on, people, it's just a convenience item"...

Just, I didn't think this would have happened so soon...
    Options
  • jlboozer
    jlboozer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly. This guy gets it
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering Zos has not added gear upgrade matts to the crown store there is little reason to think these new crystals will be added.
    Options
  • sparafucilsarwb17_ESO
    sparafucilsarwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking that the reason why they want you to grind for 40 crystals to transmute one item is because they want to add the crystals to the crown store.

For me that would be the last straw...bye bye ESO
    Options
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

^What STEVIL said!^

My opinion is as always - "Fools Be They Who Pay For Something They Can Also Have Fun Gaming For!"
    Options
  • Saint314Louis1985
    Saint314Louis1985
    ✭✭✭

Exactly. This guy gets it

I disagree.

saving time by purchasing an item in crown store to change a trait on something you can get as a drop relatively easily (with decent RNG luck) or even change yourself without crowns is not winning anything. you are most definitely paying for convenience and not a clear cut advantage over anybody. This holds true especially after HOTR where theres a large number of traits that are almost equal in strength.
    Options
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys really need to read up on the definition of pay to win.

By your logic, the research timer reduction scrolls are pay to win as well. Where's the outrage over that?
    Kiss the chaos.
    Options
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Just letting you all know that we aren't planning to sell Transmutation Crystals in the Crown Store.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • jlboozer
    jlboozer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just letting you all know that we aren't planning to sell Transmutation Crystals in the Crown Store.

Thanks Gina, you're the best.
    Options
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for clarification. People QQ over anything these days..
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game.
    Options
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

THANK YOU!!!!!
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
    Options