Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

Do you skip clothier writs?

Invincible
Invincible
✭✭✭✭✭
With the price of silk being so high and the survey/gold mat/master writ chances being so slim lately it doesn't seem worth it to continue to do them.

I do crafting dailies on three toons and get at least 1 temper per day which pays for several stacks of rubedite, same with wood which is dirt cheap anyway.

To complete clothier writs on three toons the cost is around 10k. Unless you get a guaranteed 2 gold mats you actually lose money.

So does anyone else skip these?
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You shouldnt do writs when u cant sustain the mats w/o buying from guildtraders.
  • Invincible
    Invincible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eso_nya wrote: »
    You shouldnt do writs when u cant sustain the mats w/o buying from guildtraders.

I usually do quite a bit of farming and end up with 5-10k of silk/ore/wood a week.

Supply isn't the issue, the issue is the goldsink.
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dreugh wax is pretty cheap, definitely cheapest out of the other gold mats, at least on xbox. people bot/farm enemies that drop leather all the time so there is a big supply. silk, yes is expensive
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do all 6, Mainly out of habbit. Feel I get an OK return on wax
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • robhavok
    robhavok
    With silk being 20k a stack I skip mostly on my toons.
  • auronessb16_ESO
    auronessb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    robhavok wrote: »
    With silk being 20k a stack I skip mostly on my toons.

Wow, I never knew it went for that. I must have 3 or 4 stacks. There are times I wish I had access to the PC market. My last Perfect Roe didn't sell at 10K, so it came back to me. I've not bothered selling high end stuff since.
  • Glockcoma725
    Glockcoma725
    ✭✭✭
    I average 11k on ambrosias, so I understand why selling the roe for 10k didnt land a sale. I used to part with my roes for 7-9k depending on the day/mood. But now that I can craft ambrosias I see that they average 12k a piece but those usually sit on the store pages for ever, so I go low and sell mine for 11

EDIT: Referring to a stack of 4 on the Ambrosia
    Edited by Glockcoma725 on September 21, 2017 3:57PM
    PC-NA CP570 @Glockcoma725
    Maximus Dezimus Meridius Tank DragonKight
    Ri'Skarr DD Nightblade
    Myrddin Emrys DD Sorceror
    Smokes-All-Herbs Healer Templar
    Azog the Defiler DD Warden
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Price of silk? 20K for a stack of silk seems a bit high... 100 gold for piece of silk?

Must start selling, I have tons of the stuff.

Got a lot of wood too ;)
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do the wood/cloth/smith daily writs but I did start farming for mats, especially silk. Since I started spending 2-3 hours a week farming, I always have 1000+ raw silk on hand - just gotta know where to look.

I don't have an issue paying up to 4k for ruby ash and rubedite stacks but 14k plus for a stack of refined silk is ludicrous.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Invincible
    Invincible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    I do the wood/cloth/smith daily writs but I did start farming for mats, especially silk. Since I started spending 2-3 hours a week farming, I always have 1000+ raw silk on hand - just gotta know where to look.

I don't have an issue paying up to 4k for ruby ash and rubedite stacks but 14k plus for a stack of refined silk is ludicrous.

Agreed. I have a farming stamblade khajit with darkstride + that other set that increases max speed and there still just aren't enough hours in the day to collect enough silk.

5-6 hours straight will get me 1000 and I just don't have that kind of time at the moment.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Invincible wrote: »
    disintegr8 wrote: »

Agreed. I have a farming stamblade khajit with darkstride + that other set that increases max speed and there still just aren't enough hours in the day to collect enough silk.

5-6 hours straight will get me 1000 and I just don't have that kind of time at the moment.

Its about finding the right spots. I got different spots for each thing, the one that is the worst for me is wood, really don't got a good spot for that yet, not compared to Ingots. I got 1000 of those in less than 2hs, it resulted in 8 tempering alloys. Do it with a farming toon that uses Fiord's and Jailbreaker. For those that farm with Stamina sorcs obviously swap tha Jailbreaker for Darkstride. But Fiord's is amazing to have. Oh and I use the steed on them in all divines. Speed and regen works best for farming toons I have found. Be fast so it costs less, and while you pick stuff up you regain it.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    On my main (who knows motifs) I do all of them.

When I am extra bored and do writs on all my vet toons, I skip anything I'm low on mats on--USUALLY this means skipping silk writs.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be skipping all alchemy writs once my stockpile of potions is gone. Already skipping the poison writs. Flowers are quite valuable and I need the bag space.
  • Invincible
    Invincible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be skipping all alchemy writs once my stockpile of potions is gone. Already skipping the poison writs. Flowers are quite valuable and I need the bag space.

You should never skip alchemy writs. There are only a few different ones and the passives that let you create 4 potions or 10 poisons (or however many it is) carry over for the next day.

So long as you have a potion or poison or enchant or food/drink created by the toon you accept the writ on in your inventory the writ is auto completed when you accept it.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On toons with level 1 alchemy I skip it. They usually want good stuff like corn flower or wormwoods
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It so happens it's my "clean up day" where I open many containers, so I can average out the rewards and calculate their value compared to the cost of buying silk. It gives me something to do while flipping between 10 crafters, lol. I opened my first 20 clothing writ reward crates and calculated the profits against buying all of the mats at guild store prices:

Let's assume a cost of $15k/200 silk and $4k/200 rubedo. And let's assume a survey takes 40 mats.

In 20 crates I received: 8 wax, 9 ornate items, 6 intricate silk, 5 intricate rubedo, 4 glass motif fragments, 1 survey.

Assumptions: wax sells for $5k, ornate for $150 ea, intricate yields 4 mats, motifs sell for $400 ea, surveys yield 100 raw.

Cost analysis of 20 clothing surveys (14 silk, 6 rubedo)

-42,000 cost of 560 silk
    -4,800 cost of 240 rubedo
    = 46,800 total cost of 20 surveys

+13,280 quest reward gold
    = -33,520

+6,000 value of silk from reward survey (assumes 8/10 refine average)
    = -27,520

+40,000 wax
    = +12,480

+3550 intricate mats and ornate sales
    =16,030

+1600 motif frags
    =17,630 total profits, Or $881.50 per survey

At current guild prices, these are the least profitable writs for sure. But they're still profitable...assuming you're willing to sell off the wax.

And I ignore master crafting writ surveys here. My characters have all their traits researched, and I got 1-2 quests from those boxes. These rewards are too rare to nail down a profit margin without a lot more math...but because every once in a while I get a $70k+ legendary master writ, they do add to the average profits.
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want all of you to realize that you arent NOT supposed to make writ stuff at cp160. That's stupid and a waste of mats. It takes less than 50 silk/rubedo to complete a daily clothier writ.
  • Dracofyre
    Dracofyre
    ✭✭✭✭
    i still do writs after CP 160, and it only takes less than 50 units a writ.
    some folks still farm the bears in reaper's march for pelts or just mostly for xp since it is "mass density"

reason why i still do, to get refined items for tempors.
    buying doesnt make sense to me unless need to restock at short noticed or too lazy. i rather get my own tempors and pray for rewards after turn in for masters and chances of legendaries, and maps.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, a strong case could be made that equipment writs are way over hungry.

Especially now that alchemy got EZ-moded, the consumables basically more than fuel themselves. they provide more mats for use than they consume at the top tier level. i dont farm, only gather in passing, and i do tons of writs esp consumables - i think i have over 300 surveys sitting in waiting for alchemy and as many for enchanting cuz just dont need to run them.

i run 14 alchey top-tier writs a day and am only stocking up surveys day-by-day that i dont need to run to feed the writs.

On the other hand, i frequently have to run the equipment surveys even though i run far fewer at the top tier. Thats because they burn thru more mats than they provide at their level. Clothier is one of the more frequently needed surveys by me for writs.

So there is definitely a mismatch between them and to bring the equipment top-tier writs in line they would need to drop ~50 refined top-tier mats with each writ.

And so its time for ZOS to consider that and Make (Equipment) Writs Great Again!!*

*or at least on par with enchant and alchemy.

:):):)
    Edited by STEVIL on September 25, 2017 11:49AM
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
  • Jawasa
    Jawasa
    ✭✭✭
    200 silk is not 20k on PC EU. Not even close.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't do any writs. Tried for a while, but more annoying than worth it.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only do the writs on 4 characters since I don't bother putting points into crafting until I spec everything else. Also doing the same thing 4x every day is pretty boring and 14x would simply be unbearable and eat away all my time in loading screens. I can sustain all crafting writs from what I gather myself while exploring and questing, surveys (gather those every 4-6 weeks for efficiency) and deconstructing some of the trash gear or set gear with bad traits: all the blue and purple ones for the temper, silk items regardless of quality unless ornate. It's based on calculations involving the price of tempers, style and trait materials and the base ones as well. I don't sell gold tempers yet but I'm self reliant with a slight plus on wax and a large one in tempering alloy and rosin. The only crafting material I had to buy was nirnroot a few months ago but the changes to alchemy mean that I don't need that much nowadays and I'm self reliant as well. I get plenty of low value master writs but I usually stack those for 2-3 months until I do them.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • FoolishHuman
    FoolishHuman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drop rates from writs haven't changed. They are all still worth doing.
    Jawasa wrote: »
    200 silk is not 20k on PC EU. Not even close.

Oh but it was, and gold tempers for 8k+. The market seems to have recovered already though. I still sell wax for almost 7k though.
  • bbafett
    bbafett
    Soul Shriven
    Is it just me or are gold writ rewards not coming in much after clockwork city? Haven’t gotten one blacksmith or clothing gold temper material since update. Two toons done every day all week. Was getting at least one a day.
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't realize that the price of Silks had climbed back up. Even on PCNA.
    I will still use them on my writs though.
    I easily find a bunch, while roaming. I've currently got almost 2k silks.
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bit of an old thread btw guys.

I think the trick is to have at least 1000 of each level mats stacked, craft bag or bank.
    then have your ults use those mats for writs.
    You have an equal amount of getting surveys from any writ, which you then stack until you have 5 of the same survey, pass to your main and collect for 160 mats.

really level 50-cp100 mats are useless as with the 4 million enlightenment upon reaching 50, as well as cp constantly going up making the jump form 50-160 quicker, there is no point on even crafting training gear for those level.
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nope, on 12 characters it's takes about an hour to an hour and a half
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bbafett wrote: »
    Is it just me or are gold writ rewards not coming in much after clockwork city? Haven’t gotten one blacksmith or clothing gold temper material since update. Two toons done every day all week. Was getting at least one a day.

You probably should have started a new thread, but I am not seeing a decrease. It is just bad luck with RNG.