Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What is the importance of grouping at dolmens?

Jemcrystal
Jemcrystal
✭✭✭✭✭
Is there any benefits to grouping up? I mean instead of standing still at Illuvamar waiting for it to spawn while those oddball players rush in and out on their mounts to and from places I cannot comprehend or conceive. I see them type "x" in chat but I cannot image what it might all mean?

Someone want to go through the list of benefits to GROUPING at a dolmen?
  • SynergyDIG
    SynergyDIG
    Soul Shriven
    -Everyone kills everything fast
    -You want to unlock the wayshrines
    /thread
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are usually on low level characters and are using dolmen to quickly level. They just run the circle doing the three dolmen over and over. The only benefit in joining the group is you can easily see where they are going next.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what others said. you get 3 dolmens done in the same time as you would get just one when waiting for the same one to spawn, as dolmens spawn in the same exact rotation one after another and those groups just move from spawn to spawn until they circle back to the one you re waiting at. 3 times the xp basically.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get 2/3's of my total exp from killing mobs at Dolmens. Being part of a group helps with that as you don't have to tag all the mobs.

Being part of the zerg at first can help with unlocking the Wayshrines. Most of the time though I follow the zerg on my own but not grouped with them. But by following the group and tagging all the mobs I can, I get most of the same experience and none of the large group lag that occurs.

I also tend to not do the big zergs in Alikir and Auridon. So, I will usually join the smaller zergs that have 4 to 12 or so players for the other zones that drop something I want. The smaller groups do not have the same lag.

Edited by Nestor on September 11, 2017 9:23PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• OC_Justice
    OC_Justice
    ✭✭✭
    Also a great way to level up skills to morph and beyond. No one is judging what skill you are using because things are melting so spam vigor and shield bash.
  • Rainraven
    Rainraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grouping with someone gives you an xp boost. Most important for that big chunk of xp when the dolmen closes. If you're in a *small* group and planning to grind, that boost is nice.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The benefit for joining dolmen groups when you're otherwise solo is that if you try to do a dolmen by yourself, a group comes along and destroys everything faster than a single person can get to it to even tap once, and you miss out on a ton of kills. If you join the group, you get credit for those kills that they would've just taken away from you otherwise.
    Edited by Minyassa on September 11, 2017 9:38PM
  • Flynch
    Flynch
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly, you get twice the XP in a group of 2, but more than that and you in fact lose XP overall per mob.

But the reason why people group up at dolmens is primarily because you get XP from all the mobs that members of the group tag, for the same XP per mob but with a greater number of kills, compared to what you would get if you were solo and competing to tag them alongside the same number of other people.

If that made sense.

Other than that, there's no other benefit except for the free ports to wayshrines really.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flynch wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, you get twice the XP in a group of 2, but more than that and you in fact lose XP overall per mob.

2 people in group 10% Exp Boost
    3 to 4 people in the Group, pretty much same as Solo
    more than 4, the exp starts to drop off to quite a small amount as the group size approaches and exceeds 12 players.
    Loot is only given to 12 players at an event, and it's RNG as to who of the players who tagged the mobs as to what they get. Although we did have a guild mate not get a hit in on a world boss and gain loot.

I have not parsed the exact numbers, but in the thick of things, it seems that a mob that would give me 800 Exp points Solo gives like 100 Exp with a large group. Note, I typically have an Ambrosia Pot or Scroll when doing these things so that explains my numbers. However the point that I am trying to make is, the larger the group, the bigger the hit on the exp gained rate.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Flynch
    Flynch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

more than 4, the exp starts to drop off to quite a small amount as the group size approaches and exceeds 12 players.
    Loot is only given to 12 players at an event, and it's RNG as to who of the players who tagged the mobs as to what they get. Although we did have a guild mate not get a hit in on a world boss and gain loot.

I have not parsed the exact numbers, but in the thick of things, it seems that a mob that would give me 800 Exp points Solo gives like 100 Exp with a large group. Note, I typically have an Ambrosia Pot or Scroll when doing these things so that explains my numbers. However the point that I am trying to make is, the larger the group, the bigger the hit on the exp gained rate.

Aye I wasn't sure of the exact numbers, so thanks for correcting me. Indeed, the larger the group is, the greater the hit on XP is.

But at a dolmen, the actual XP per mob only cares about the number of players tagging it, rather than if those players are in the same group. Yet everyone in a group gets XP on kills from others in their own group.

Simply put, the more players in the group, the more mobs get tagged by group members, so you net an increase in XP over being solo, as you won't be able to tag as many mobs when solo, and those that you do tag, are likely to be tagged by a multitude of other players anyway!

The loot RNG thing is definitely annoying (to me personally) as it seems pretty like a pretty fickle mechanic in the scheme of things!
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are better off soloing dolmens if you can manage it. Deshaan and Black Marsh both have dolmens right next to way shrines, but nobody typically farms them so you can run them solo. You get around 4x the XP versus zerging.

But even better is just overland farming fast-spawning mobs (like zombies).
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on September 11, 2017 10:43PM
  • Flynch
    Flynch
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are better off soloing dolmens if you can manage it. Deshaan and Black Marsh both have dolmens right next to way shrines, but nobody typically farms them so you can run them solo. You get around 4x the XP versus zerging.

But even better is just overland farming fast-spawning mobs (like zombies).

Agreed - especially as it seems plenty of people in the dolmen zergs go afk anyway and just leech XP, which isn't fair on those actually putting the work in
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Aye I wasn't sure of the exact numbers, so thanks for correcting me. Indeed, the larger the group is, the greater the hit on XP is.

But at a dolmen, the actual XP per mob only cares about the number of players tagging it, rather than if those players are in the same group. Yet everyone in a group gets XP on kills from others in their own group.

Simply put, the more players in the group, the more mobs get tagged by group members, so you net an increase in XP over being solo, as you won't be able to tag as many mobs when solo, and those that you do tag, are likely to be tagged by a multitude of other players anyway!

The loot RNG thing is definitely annoying (to me personally) as it seems pretty like a pretty fickle mechanic in the scheme of things!

When there is a large group at a dolmen I just spam whatever will put out the most AoE if I am on a character that needs XP. When leveling I only do the dolmens in passing though as I like to level by doing delves and killing random things while getting skyshards. If I am looking for drop sets all I care about is getting a hit on the boss. I try to do enough damage on the boss to get a drop but really am only there for the chest afterwards. If the group is big enough to easily take the dolmen down then I don't worry much about the mobs. If they are struggling then of course I help all I can.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unlike grinding xp elsewhere, dolmens XP isn't reduced based on group size. When closing the dolmens, you get the same amount of XP wether solo or either 24 people.

So you may as well be in a large group and kill things much quicker. It's by no means the best XP. I use the alik'r ones when I first make a character. Mainly because I might not be able to grind solo. Not unlocked aoe skills etc.

Also, it's mindless. I can just listen to music or even watch a film and just press some buttons without having to concentrate.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When in a group you share the kill xp as well, so you can get all mobs xp

Then for the dolmencompletion you dont get diminished XPdue to beign in a group
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly, you get twice the XP in a group of 2.

You get twice dolmen and world boss xp for the first time you defeat them on that character. After that it is normal with the 10% group extra buff.
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's wrong. Only the Barathrum Centrata Imperial City Sewers event is like that, as far as I have heard about anything else.
    Anybody who damages the boss during a dolmen, or is in group with someone who does, gets the dolmen bonus xp, which is the same as quest end xp, and the chest loot.

That's why people do dolmens. It's faster than questing for the same end xp and more loot.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if someone mentioned it, but Dolmens also level your fighter's guild skill line which is useful especially for Stamina builds to get at rearming trap.

I'm not much of a grinder but whenever I do on lower level characters I grind undead and daedra fro that Fighter's Guild XP.
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its good for many reasons:
    1. Mindless grinding, no effort required
    2. You can do it in level 1 training gear without worrying about dying
    3. You can level skills without any risk - excellent for Resto skills