The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Addons Detecting Attacks from Stealth?

ParaNostram
ParaNostram
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I have been doing a number of battlegrounds on my magicka nightblade recently because, well, it's been fun to do. However, I've been noticing a strange occurrence that is making me scratch my head lately. See, my rotation begins with a fully charged heavy attack while cloaked or stealthed. However, I keep noticing that players who are facing the opposite direction from me keep knowing when to dodge roll for my opening attacks to miss. Is there an addon telling them to do this? Is there an addon basically telling people when they're about to be attacked from stealth?

If so, then that seems a little bit like cheating to me. Then, I'm just the girl who doesn't use any combat addons so I might be biased against them. Can you guys confirm if such an addon exists?
"Your mistake is you begged for your life, not for mercy. I will show you there are many fates worse than death."

Para Nostram
Bosmer Sorceress
Witch of Evermore

"Death is a privilege that can be denied by it's learned scholars."
Order of the Black Worm
  • Alaztor91
    Alaztor91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miat's addon I think, and somehow ZoS think it's ok
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "Working as intended."
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • ParaNostram
    ParaNostram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alaztor91 wrote: »

You're kidding me. So that's why. Well, that would explain why it's always the tryhard with cost increasing poisons and whatever seems meta that always magically know when to dodge roll. Of course that would be the type of person to use an addon that is blatantly cheating because they can.

I was not tilted until my suspicions were confirmed. Thank you for confirming my suspicions.
    Edited by ParaNostram on August 31, 2017 8:19PM
    "Your mistake is you begged for your life, not for mercy. I will show you there are many fates worse than death."

Para Nostram
    Bosmer Sorceress
    Witch of Evermore

"Death is a privilege that can be denied by it's learned scholars."
    Order of the Black Worm
  • BinaryTerror
    Yes there is a add on that warns the player.
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    These are the people who also line up their whole burst using macros...

Come to console if you want fair pvp.

Cheers!
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ParaNostram like you I enjoyed(past tense) a bit of PVP but the proliferation of players using Miat's has utterly ruined it for me......

I honestly cannot understand why that addon is considered ok!! :(

I am just an average player who dies a lot but enjoyed the style I play, I have been here since the start and have always stuck up for ZOS when others have derided them.......

My /played hours are horrendously high(seriously, live in mummy's basement high).

However this week my total hours in game can be counted on two hands, very nearly one!

I have loads of content still to do, I have not run out of quests etc etc........

but the stuff I enjoy doing has been gradually whittled down by questionable decisions.

I loved this game, now I'm getting to the point I'm not sure I even like it, I've been REPLAYING single player games rather than play ESO.........

@ZOS lets hope not too many of your loyal players feel the same as I do!! :(
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Palidon
    Palidon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheating, exploiting and scripting is running rampant in PvP play. Seems ZOS for whatever reason they have, has turned a blind eye and allows it to continue. A good example, The Miat's addon which has been complained about in the past yet it still exists. There is no doubt the addon gives players an early warning against a stealth attack thus they have an advantage against a Nightblade trying to attack from stealth. As long as their is no deterrent which has to come from ZOS, players will cheat and use addons to help then in that endeavor. You can complain but until ZOS takes action like I said nothing will change.
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    These are the people who also line up their whole burst using macros...

Come to console if you want fair pvp.

Cheers!

But but but they are the pc master race & we are the console plebs! They are automatically better than us feeble no-add ons, just-play-the-game button mashers, surely???! :p
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alaztor91 wrote: »

This.
  • Malic
    Malic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Palidon wrote: »
    Cheating, exploiting and scripting is running rampant in PvP play. Seems ZOS for whatever reason they have, has turned a blind eye and allows it to continue. A good example, The Miat's addon which has been complained about in the past yet it still exists. There is no doubt the addon gives players an early warning against a stealth attack thus they have an advantage against a Nightblade trying to attack from stealth. As long as their is no deterrent which has to come from ZOS, players will cheat and use addons to help then in that endeavor. You can complain but until ZOS takes action like I said nothing will change.

So thus its not cheating or exploiting if ZOS allows it.

We can agree its B.S. but its not cheating if its allowed by the game producer. The anger at the players is unwarranted. What you deem is fair or unfair is irrelevant, you arent paying anyone elses sub so you dont have a say as to how others play.

Miat's addon should be removed from the game and he and his crew should be perm banned IMHO. But its just my humble opinion and CLEARLY ZOS disagrees and has for YEARS. If any of you are expecting anything other than this from ZOS then YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.

Your expectations are way off, and you will likely log in later and play the game anyway. Thats 100% your fault.
    Edited by Malic on August 31, 2017 8:51PM
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Malic wrote: »
    Palidon wrote: »

So thus its not cheating or exploiting if ZOS allows it.

We can agree its B.S. but its not cheating if its allowed by the game producer. The anger at the players is unwarranted. What you deem is fair or unfair is irrelevant, you arent paying anyone elses sub so you dont have a say as to how others play.

Miat's addon should be removed from the game and he and his crew should be perm banned IMHO. But its just my humble opinion and CLEARLY ZOS disagrees and has for YEARS. If any of you are expecting anything other than this from ZOS then YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.

Your expectations are way off, and you will likely log in later and play the game anyway. Thats 100% your fault.

Actually that's my point exactly........

Not just this addon(quite a big part though), I will NOT log in and play later, probably not again for a few days, whereas before I spent many hours everyday in game! :(
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • bloodthirstyvampire
    bloodthirstyvampire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't have any of them problems on ps4
    Self-proclaimed Vampire Lord, or in this case, Blood Sion. º,...,º
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious how fast this topic will turn into "pls ZOS remove Miat's addon, it's cheating" -,-

(Btw, there's a way to do heavy attack in cloak and won't be detected by addon, I play magblade myself and I'm also using this addon.)
    Edited by Marabornwingrion on August 31, 2017 9:01PM
  • Malic
    Malic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Astrid_V wrote: »
    I'm curious how fast this topic will turn into "pls ZOS remove Miat's addon, it's cheating" -,-

Please ZOS remove Miats addon, it's cheating.
  • bloodthirstyvampire
    bloodthirstyvampire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i Don't even play the PC version and it still makes me hungry
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is there no one aware of heavy attack sounds? Or is it easier to blame on cheating/addons rather than studying game mechanics?
    Edited by Ankael07 on August 31, 2017 9:26PM
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • DarkAedin
    DarkAedin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ankael07 wrote: »
    Is there no one aware of heavy attack sounds? Or is it easier to blame on cheating/addons rather than studying game mechanics?

Beat me to the punch. Miats is out there, but ure also talking about cqc where a player can easily hear ur shots with a half decent headset.
  • pdebie64b16_ESO
    pdebie64b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Its cheating because it interferes the sneak ability, very strange that ZOS allowed this.
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Addons are allowed to get info about all of the players that are in stealth nearby. You can use this information to trigger an alert that you are about to be ganked.
  • BadLuckCharm
    BadLuckCharm
    ✭✭✭
    Used to be, once upon a number of months ago, that charging up a staff heavy attack took you out of stealth - i tried against NPCs (since i don't PvP ever), and stopped trying since. As i said, that was quite a while ago, i don't know if that's still the case, but if not, there may still be some left over junk from that, like sound cues and such. That would have to be fixed as well, to be proper.
  • Hurika
    Hurika
    ✭✭✭✭
    The API was changed not to send heavy attack information from stealthed characters I believe (could be wrong). However if you use an ABILITY that is still visible so if you animation cancel a heavy attack with an ability from stealth, that will give the player the warning.

Sorry not a place I can check code/api's to confirm so just my thoughts....
    Even if the heavy attack is visible for stealthed players via the API which it shouldn't be, it may only be visible for the player targeted and the event in the API is fired during the start of the channel/attack so put your reticle over empty space when starting it and move it to the player right before it fires.

[target nothing----start heavy attack----heavy attack about ready to go off---move to target---fire]

It's a way to deal with people that need addon's to deal with lack of situational awareness or are not capable/willing to use builds that counter it (... the "i want it all but don't want to give up anything" mentality)
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miats just tells you when you enter combat. That happens as soon as you're targeted and someone starts charging an attack. Game's working as intended. Addon is just warning the player that they've entered combat. Most just automatically roll dodge because they know an attack is incoming.

If ZOS wants to fix this, they need to change WHEN a player enters combat. They can change the combat status from "when someone is attacking you" to "when you take damage" and that will fix it.
  • TheCaptainJosh
    TheCaptainJosh
    ✭✭✭
    This add-on has been out for a while, how many threads will people make about this
    AugustusGray
    PC NA
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This topic always cracks me up. Time to summon @Dorrino. ;)
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • bloodthirstyvampire
    bloodthirstyvampire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AD and DC use it they need a handicap
  • Denyiir
    Denyiir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Melee heavy atacks from 30 m on people using it is my new favorite thing to do.
  • Vizier
    Vizier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly things like Miat's have effectively rendered one class play style virtually extinct. It used to be a player had to be aware of his surrounding and be ready to be Ganked at any time. A good or cautious player would not allow for their shields to be down and knew it was a risk. Now, they are warned with enough time to save themselves from assassination. Not only that they are warned when enemies are in the area. Miat's is an addon that destroys the notion of competitive fair play, especially when effectively nullifying one class's primary specialty, attacking from stealth. It's pathetic ZoS allows for it and more-so they don't effectively police hacks, bots and macro users.
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MIATs add-on is just the known add-on. Since that add-on was private for sometime until he released it, just imagine what other "private" add-ons can do.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    people able to know when i am going to attack from stealth because zenimax allows cheats like this.
    just horrible.
    when you add up everything that zenamax allows to stop us stealth class, pretty much ruins the entire stealth class for us completely.
    Edited by Gilvoth on August 31, 2017 10:48PM
  • Malic
    Malic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    MIATs add-on is just the known add-on. Since that add-on was private for sometime until he released it, just imagine what other "private" add-ons can do.

Im going to be blunt. Add - ons cant tell you anything that the API isnt storing. Which if memory serves me correctly the lua is havok script.

What this means is any addon out there is essentially pulling, or using data you can use as well. If you dont know how to obtain it thats another matter entirely.

Now should we be able to get this data? Im not so sure thats another matter entirely but YES there are "private" addons out, that do not violate TOS.