The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dueling Courtesy?

• Fereldyn
    Fereldyn
    ✭✭
    The greatest thing about ESO is that it was not Call of Duty, and I did not have to put up with all the nonsense when someone died.

Alas, I have not even sniffed at the potential of dueling, and don't imagine I ever will.
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    doslekis wrote: »
    Reverb wrote: »
    I think the only "hard rule" should apply to bystanders: don't heal duelers. Don't stand around while people are dueling throwing out BOL or aoe heals.

Between the 2 people dueling, negotiate terms beforehand, or anything goes. Unless agreed upon in advance, there are no cheap tactics or cheap counters.

Hmm I didn't think you could heal or buff people who were dueling. Would be funny if each person had a designated healer for the fight.

At least one Warden heal is broken and can heal duelists.
    "Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." -Thranduil
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    things that are considered not very gentlemen like are: resource poisons, viper, selene, velindreth, soul assault, Eye of the Storm just to name a few. Things that are knowingly overperforming that would give you a clear advantage in a duell. But duells are bs anyway you can set your cp for example to make you very effective against sorcs and only duell sorcs for that day giving you a clear advantage to someone who has a overland pvp build who has to take magic and physical damage and has his cp set for that. Thats why i dont duell.

"Duel me brah!!

No, no. Not that way!! No, no. Not that way either!!!

Hax bruh!!"
    -SmokeNToke420

I'm afraid unwritten (and frankly absurd) "Gentleman" rules and guys like SmokeNToke don't go together.

Did you just name and shame or is that a random name as an example?

It's a fictional name. But apologies if SmokeNToke is real and plays Elder Scrolls online.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Sylosi
    Sylosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why do duels have rules or "gentlemen's agreement" not to do certain things?

Because instead of doing the intelligent thing, which is playing a game designed specifically for 1v1 that does it much better, these people try and fit a square peg into a round hole by doing it in ESO, a game that is not designed or balanced for 1v1, and that has balance completely compromised between PvE & PvP, different PvP modes, etc, so in a desperate attempt to add some "balance" people decide certain things are not "acceptable".

Really the only merit of 1v1 in ESO (same goes for most MMORPGs) is it is a good way of learning PvP, but beyond that is a complete joke, because there is no balance / design for 1v1, gear/build plays far too much importance and the combat itself is relatively low skill capped (compare it to good fighting games for example), which makes for a *** 1v1 game.

Edited by Sylosi on August 29, 2017 8:33PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    things that are considered not very gentlemen like are: resource poisons, viper, selene, velindreth, soul assault, Eye of the Storm just to name a few. Things that are knowingly overperforming that would give you a clear advantage in a duell. But duells are bs anyway you can set your cp for example to make you very effective against sorcs and only duell sorcs for that day giving you a clear advantage to someone who has a overland pvp build who has to take magic and physical damage and has his cp set for that. Thats why i dont duell.

"Duel me brah!!

Hax bruh!!"
    -SmokeNToke420

I'm afraid unwritten (and frankly absurd) "Gentleman" rules and guys like SmokeNToke don't go together.

It's a fictional name. But apologies if SmokeNToke is real and plays Elder Scrolls online.

How disappointing. I liked the comment so much better when I thought it was a real name :smiley: !
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

"Duel me brah!!

Hax bruh!!"
    -SmokeNToke420

How disappointing. I liked the comment so much better when I thought it was a real name :smiley: !

It was inspired by many of the names I see on ESO. People love to let others know they enjoy incinerating reagents in their user names.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why do duels have rules or "gentlemen's agreement" not to do certain things? I have heard this in chats all the time as i run to get my undaunted pledges...."dude, wtf, you used [insert op ability/potion/armor]?!"

i thought;
    a duel is a fight between 2 people. 3-2-1, FIGHT, the winner is the last one alive?

I see no reason why you should have to play by their rules.

I've never encountered this - but then again I rarely duel. Only those who bring up politics in zone chat.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    Its just BS. Duel's have no rules - thus...there are no rules.

If you want rules setup a competition and mention them before.

Considering everyone probably has their own rules, certainly not some actual standard, it does seem to be a little pointless. I guess it is so duels are not to challenging or some players.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't go into duels with any expectation other than to have fun. If someone is running a setup that I don't seem to be fun to fight against I usually won't give a rematch when I win.

If I get a message asking why I just explain that while I think X, Y, or Z is part of the game and therefore ok to use, I personally don't enjoy spending my time dueling against this.

At that point, if they want good fights they'll either understand or offer to take said whatever out of their loadout, I'll usually drop something from my setup as well in these cases and give them their rematch. If they're just trying to cheese wins or if they're spoiled kids you'll get some salt, but it's better than being all salty yourself.

When I duel the people I play with regularly we have some house rules. No meridia, resource poisons, or overwhelming surge. Obviously for testing this goes out the window since you want to make sure you can at least make a show against these things in case you encounter them elsewhere.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on August 29, 2017 9:35PM
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"Duel me brah!!

Hax bruh!!"
    -SmokeNToke420

The funniest part for me is how plausible it is that someone actually has that as a name.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is but everyone knows that duellers are "salty" players just looking to cause an argument whenever possible.

Also every ability is OP if it leads to their defeat.

Analyzing @name....
    Checks out
  • Coilbox
    Coilbox
    ✭✭✭✭
    Drummerx04 wrote: »
    Coilbox wrote: »

This is the summum of 'obviousness'

First, nothing that you could use in your build is giving 'you' a clear advantage over your opponent, since your opponent can slot it as well and use it against you. It's about using the tools you feel comfortable with, that are available for EVERY player out there. So there is no real 'clear' advantage.

Second, and more obvious, isnt the point of a duel to find your advantage over the other player to end up killing him/her?

Im sorry but if im going to duel, im gonna use every resources at hand to try to put down my enemy, that includes poisons, nasty ultimates, nasty skills and everything i can throw at him. It's not cheating, it's not unfair, and its nothing to see with 'fighting with honor'. You fight for winning, be clever and use all your resources. They put them there for you to use. Don't listen to silly salty players xD

Pretty sure if you slot shield breaker on a stam toon while fighting a magsorc, you are giving yourself a clear advantage by definition.

My point was, little man, that no-one would be using anything that is not available for everyone else, is it? Whatever I use to defeat you in a duel is also available to you, so it's not like im using stuff that gives me a clear advantage. Of course if im using a sorc with shields and you use a shieldbraker set it will give you advantage. But thats the *** point. You will have to use whatever you have at hand to defeat me, and if I come at you like 'hey, you are using shieldbraker to defeat me!' then you have all the right in the world to laugh at me, cause it's absolutely understandable FFS.

Cant believe we are even arguing about something so stupid xD Only rules when fighting someone else are the rules set up by the game itself, and it allows poisons, ultimates, sets and all the *** in the world. Period!
    Edited by Coilbox on August 30, 2017 7:26AM
    Comrade, a word...
  • Ekadzati
    Ekadzati
    ✭✭✭
    #1 - Duel = Can my choices defeat your choices.

#2 - Vanity display = All other intentions, motivations, and rationales.

If you need more rules for your duels than #1, you're #2.

(Yes, in all contexts of #2 you care to think of and yes, I know you know what I did there.)

>:)
    Registration date: November 2013
    Geek since 1974.
    Girl Gamer since 1976.
    Granny since 2014.
    Gut shooter since forever.
    Don't say you weren't warned.
    (Now where's my cane and why are you on my lawn?)

• MipMip
    MipMip
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree on rules in advance or don't complain. How can anyone except another to know for sure what your idea of the 'right' rules is if you don't tell them? :)
    PC EU ∙ PC NA

'My only complaint about ball groups is that there aren't enough of them. Moar Balls.'
    - Vilestride
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get a bit salty when certain tactics are used. I get that certain things are in the game, but often times those things will take the fun out of the game for me. Resource poisons, meridia, and immov pots are the three things that will make me run out and forfeit the duel. I don't send hate tells to my former opponent saying that they're a noob for using those things. I just won't duel them and if they ask why then i respond in a mature and respectable manner by telling them that I can't because I'm too busy banging their mom.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real questions that should be asked by the losing player is (after looking at death re cap)
    "What skills do you use, whats your rotation? I need to learn and get better"

Rules teach you nothing for pvp
  • Cyrediath
    Cyrediath
    ✭✭✭
    Today someone wanted to duel with me at pldege area and when i win he insulted me and called me cancer **** *** son of **** etc etc i just use rattlecage skoria willpower. no posion. nothing that effects his attack damage/resistances or recovery.

It is just how it is. I dont want to get used to it tho. Im just reporting them and hope that ZoS will do something about it.