The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Human-readable summary of "bannable" offenses?

peculiar77b14_ESO
peculiar77b14_ESO
Soul Shriven
Is there a resource somewhere that simplifies the EULA to help me understand what behaviors are considered "bannable?" Yes, I've read the EULA, but the "legaleze" is often more difficult to understand than "regular" language. It's also not great as a reference, if I want to refresh my memory and confirm i.e. "I didn't like it, but it's not a violation of the EULA."

For two reasons, firstly I like to steer well clear of these kinds of behaviors myself. Secondly, as a conscientious player, I want to help hold the community accountable, WITHOUT reporting someone for something that I might not like, but ISN'T a violation of the Terms of Use.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Code of Conduct is more human readable.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    - If you want to prevent being reported / banned, just behave as if you were in someone else's living room, as a guest. Don't do anything you wouldn't do in that situation.
    - If you see other people behaving like if they were IN THEIR OWN living room, as a landlord, and do or say things they would do only in that situation, then it's probably an offense.
    - Also you're not allowed to make (real) money with the game, or to let someone else play on your account.

That's pretty much it. For more specifics, you'll have to dive into EULA and its horrific legal wording, but common sense and courtesy usually works fine.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on August 26, 2017 3:18PM
  • peculiar77b14_ESO
    peculiar77b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Excellent! Those are both very helpful. But, neither of these talk about exploits or automation. There are certainly prohibitions against using software to automate the game or to create a substantial, unfair advantage.

I'll be a bit more specific. I witnessed a half-dozen player characters following each other in the exact same pattern, including some little joggs and stutters that they all did in the exact same way. If this person (people) were using software to automatically farm an area, would that be a violation of the Terms of Use, or EULA? It's certainly something I don't like and seems improper, but I don't want to cause trouble for someone without good reason.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent! Those are both very helpful. But, neither of these talk about exploits or automation. There are certainly prohibitions against using software to automate the game or to create a substantial, unfair advantage.

I'll be a bit more specific. I witnessed a half-dozen player characters following each other in the exact same pattern, including some little joggs and stutters that they all did in the exact same way. If this person (people) were using software to automatically farm an area, would that be a violation of the Terms of Use, or EULA? It's certainly something I don't like and seems improper, but I don't want to cause trouble for someone without good reason.

Exploits are explicitly mentioned in the Code of Conduct:
    5.2 Users will not exploit any bug, or abuse any game system (such as the scoring or award systems) in a ZeniMax Game, Service, forum, or other games or services provided by ZeniMax. Users will not intentionally use or share any bug found within any ZeniMax Game, real or fictitious, regardless of whether or not it grants an unfair advantage. You will not directly or indirectly communicate the existence of any such bug to any other user of the ZeniMax Service (in game or on a ZeniMax service).

Basically, that says not to do it, not to share it, and not to talk about it. Period.

Botting is much less clearly stated, and to get a good definition, it is necessary to look in a couple of places. It is against the ToS to "automatically farm an area".

Code of Conduct:
    5.1 Users are forbidden from using any unapproved third party applications, programs, scripts or any other game modifying mechanic used to change the game play experience on a ZeniMax Game, Service, forum, or other games or services provided by ZeniMax, including the distribution of said programs via ZeniMax services, sites, forums, communities, etc. This would include but is not limited to using or distributing speed hacks, aim bots, mouse controllers, spam bots, automated game play devices, etc. Third party applications are defined as any program, application or script written by an individual, company, corporation, or private party not employed by or contracted to perform services by ZeniMax.

The ToS also says similar.

Forum comment that clarifies some of the Code of Conduct:
    Utilizing automation for your character is a violation of our Terms of Service. This is defined as taking action on your character, without human input, to further advance your progress in the game. Which is considered botting.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • peculiar77b14_ESO
    peculiar77b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    The bugs I saw, but botting was harder to find. Perfect, thanks!